Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2005   #21
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
I agree on paper there are not a good defense. but they were also eight in Rushing defense. 12 Interceptions is hard to argue with. That was an average of four per game before today.
They are not a good rushing defense. In their first 3 games they put points up early and forced teams to pass. 12 interceptions is an amazing number, for sure. My point is, the Bengals defense is not elite. They had 2 sacks coming into this game and more than tripled their total.

250 yards of total offense against an average defense is not progress. It's just not, no matter how you try to spin.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #22
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Can we all please remind ourselves that this was a team that just underwent new coaching and that many of the things Carr was doing wrong was not being done today. Noone here is talking about how Carr was stepping up in the pocket today and getting rid of the ball faster...all things that were improvements over last year even and all things Pendry was coaching on. Improvement in two weeks worth of practice and even then some of that was delayed because of the hurricane scare. Not saying that had anything to do with it but time was of the essence and they did alot in those two weeks.
I think Rita had a bit to do w/ it. It shortened almost everyone's work week last week. But you are right Carr was getting rid of that ball alot quicker than before. And I might get reamed for this, but outside of the 7 sacks, the O-line played better.

New week, new game coming up. I still see good things ahead for this team. GO TEXANS!!!!!
Old 10-03-2005   #23
bengalsown
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
15th ranked defense coming into the game. 20th ranked passing defense, so they're actually below average here.

And 2 total sacks before this game. So yes, the stats say they are an average or slightly below average defense.
2nd in the NFL in points allowed

That's definitely teetering on the edge of Average/below average.

bengalsown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #24
bengalsown
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
They are not a good rushing defense. In their first 3 games they put points up early and forced teams to pass. 12 interceptions is an amazing number, for sure. My point is, the Bengals defense is not elite. They had 2 sacks coming into this game and more than tripled their total.

250 yards of total offense against an average defense is not progress. It's just not, no matter how you try to spin.
So because the rush defense hasn't had to stop anyone yet this year, that means they're not a good rushing defense?

There are several new starters on D this year, this isn't the same D as last season...
bengalsown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #25
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Yes, that's about right. Our potential is to have about 7 sacks. It's a moral victory.
While I'm not saying we played a great game or anything, keep in mind that one sack was that "fumble" that should have been an incomplete pass and another two were on the last-minute possession. Carr should have been able to scramble better on those last two and you would think that our line could block three rushers better, but still he had to let the WRs get deep to have a chance of scoring, so he couldn't have really done much else with the ball.

With that said, I totally agree that we have a long way to go still. We did look much more confident and in rhythm, especially on offense, and that will continue to improve as the team gets more accustomed to Pendry, and we have two weak defenses the next two weeks that we can hopefully build on this improvement. We took a good step in the right direction but we need to continue that throughout the rest of the season.

Looking at the remaining schedule, I don't think 8-8 is an unrealistic goal for our team.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read