Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

If you are happy with this loss...

... you are exactly the type of "fan" that the organization is banking on. Other than zero turnovers and a few more first downs, this team did not really play any better than it did in the first 2 losses.

Cincinatti played down to Houston's level today and played their worst game of the year.

so if I am happy with this loss clap my hands? :heh:

maybe we played up to cincy's level? I don't understand everyone's infatuation with Cincy .. they are not up to level of the elite teams yet IMO

Obviously you are a little lost on football my friend. The Texans played much better than the first two games and came away with some new wrinkles that they can use in later games. Moving the pocket really helped DC have time to make plays. Gaff looked like a player today. The offense gave the defense time to catch their breath. No turnovers and two scores. This was a much more intense team and they should be commended for that. A loss is still a loss, but you got to take from it what you can.

I'm never happy with any Texans' loss, but this game was the first one this
season that I was happy with the Texans' effort in spite of their loss.

Not happy with the loss, but EXSTATIC that they were in this game to the end even if you feel the "Bengals played down to us". Better than tuning out at the half as in the previous two games.

Where does that place me on the organization's banking process?

Not happy at all with this loss. Still only one touchdown. Still giving up large number of sacks, still have weak offense, no pass rush, etc. The only reason this game looked better than the last two was only one turnover. Return game was better, but this looks to be a very long year.

the wonger need food said:
... you are exactly the type of "fan" that the organization is banking on. Other than zero turnovers...
According to the referee, the Texans did have a turnover.

What exactly is the point of your thread? Are you suggesting that the fans should turn in their season tickets & PSLs? Lay in wait at the airport and stop the team from re-entering the city? Storm the Bastille, er Reliant Park and remove Casserly by force? Where are you going with this?

Whether you're happy (well, the Stros did win) or sad (I'll email you a hanky), you'll be in your seat next Sunday. Hoping for a win. And yes, the Texans are "banking on" these types of fans. That's the type of fans they have.

You are a bit vulgar proteus. And I understand how you feel. Cheated.. you have watched this team for a long time and the product has never been good to you. I am a pessimist, but even I can see improvement. And from a biological standpoint the third passing of gas would have been better than the first two.

Coach C. said:
I am a pessimist, but even I can see improvement.

So if your kid gets two semester's of F's, and then he comes home in the third semester with a D-, you would throw him a party? Yipee. Let's break open the champagne. We just lost, but didn't get killed. Let's all greet them as hero's at the airport. Do we all want to strive for mediocrity, or is nothing less than a Champion going to be our goal. I see a loser's mentatility forming in the fan base, and it's really kind of sickening. (not just picking on you coach, making a general comment here)

Some of you have had posts deleted due to quoting deleted material. Sorry.

Porky said:
So if your kid gets two semester's of F's, and then he comes home in the third semester with a D-, you would throw him a party? Yipee. Let's break open the champagne. We just lost, but didn't get killed. Let's all greet them as hero's at the airport. Do we all want to strive for mediocrity, or is nothing less than a Champion going to be our goal. I see a loser's mentatility forming in the fan base, and it's really kind of sickening. (not just picking on you coach, making a general comment here)

buddy I understand. First and foremost never mention my kid or any other persons kid on the board that is just bad taste. Second I would commend anyone that brought their grade up from failing to passing. You pretend that these guys dont want to win championships. Everyone in the NFL wants to be a champion. Will they no. How many championships has a Houston professional football team won. None. So understand that a loser's mentality is not what we have. I will be the first to tell my guys and anyone else that a loss is a loss and we should never settle for it, but if you do not learn from your failures you are destined to repeat those failures your whole life...

I am proud of my Texan team today.

Satisfied, NO, but we weren't embarassed like the first two. We were in it up till the end. Yes, more work needs to be done, but hell it's nice to be competetive and not get blown out!

bobby 119C :texflag:

noone's happy that we lost, that's silly. what makes some of us a little optimistic is the way most of the guys played. buchannon's a bust, but atleast he closed his eyes and threw his body at people. carr stepped INTO the pocket more often during this game than he did the other two combined. dunta was dunta (can we sign him for the next 10 years please?). payne had a very strong push, and so on. there seemed to be a sense of urgency on the player side.

there are a million things left to fix, our O-line being on top of that list, along with our pathetic zone defense & pass rush. i'm still in the front of the "fire capers" line, but some of the things done today inspire optimism of not being a highschool team all year.

Porky said:
...I see a loser's mentatility forming in the fan base...
That's because we're fans of a losing team. I'd be concerned for their mental health if they had a winner's mentality.

Being a fan of a team is sort of like a marriage. For better or worse. In sickness and in health. Well, we're in the worst health yet. Everyone from Bob McNair to Joe Texan wants to find the cure. The assumption that the Texans organization and/or the fans don't want to turn this around is absurd. Have we blamed every executive, coach, player, scout, and trainer to the point where nothing is left but to point the finger at ourselves? Let's try to keep it real, people.

... you are exactly the type of "fan" that the organization is banking on. Other than zero turnovers and a few more first downs, this team did not really play any better than it did in the first 2 losses.

Cincinatti played down to Houston's level today and played their worst game of the year.
Well, let's analyze the first few games:

Week 1: @ Buffalo (31st in total offense, 7th in total defense)
Lost 7-22
Offense: 120 total net yards, 5 sacks, 5 turnovers
Defense: 316 total net yards, 1 sack, 0 turnovers

Week 2: Pittsburgh (6th in total offense, 19th in total defense)
Lost 7-27
Offense: 221 total yards, 8 sacks, 1 turnover
Defense: 388 total yards, 1 sack, 0 turnovers

Week 4: @ Cincinatti (3rd in total offense, 15th in total defense)
Lost 10-16
Offense: 254 total yards, 7 sacks, 1 (ahem) turnover
Defense: 371 total yards, 2 sacks, 0 turnovers

So against a tougher defense than Pittsburgh (on the road), the offense produced more points and more yards. Against a tougher offense than Pittsburgh (on the road), the defense gave up fewer points and fewer yards.

But you didn't see any difference between the weeks.

I get the feeling you'd rather lose pretty than win ugly.

Hulk75 said:
If you like to speak so negative toward this team then I suggest you go jump on a band wagon some place and leave this team alone, Eagles, Patriots a team that will not upset you so much, even after they played their butts off.

Bottom line "The suckiest call ever" gets reversed, we WIN that ball game. Because there Defense could not stop us from getting down the field, we stop are selves with penalties and DROPPED BALLS DRE'!

We ran and threw the ball very well today.

Some of you try to feed so much BULL **** down peoples throats around here, just because you look at things in a negative mind set.

We played well and got homered at the end.

When our D finds a way to get us a turnover our O will do even better.

Dont feed me this "Bengals played the worst game ever", stuff I am not buying!

Ahhhh.... the homers are out in full force.

To your "points". The running game was about average today. I wouldn't say that they ran the ball "well". The passing game was pathetic again. I know that 170 yards makes some people jump for joy around here, but they were below average passing the ball today. Dre - 38 yards. 7 sacks. A fumble. Below average.

The Bengals played their worst game of this season, that is a fact.

Enough excuses people. The referees didn't lose this game... Carr and the incompetent offense did.

The referees didn't lose this game
try watching the game without the 'beerbuzz' wonger if you think that the Refs weren't a determining factor of this game. From the Dunta pass interference call for the Bengals first TD, to that absolutely unbelievable fumble call, the Refs determined this game throughout with some of the worst calls I have ever seen in ANY NFL football game. How those Refs will ever be able to call another game is beyond belief, but since Refs can't or won't be fired then I am sure this team will manage to bungle their way through the season and pick up their paycheck after every game. This team of Refs were quite simply STUPID.

Am I happy about he loss, NO. Am I happy about the fact that the Texans showed marked improvement across most of the area's of concern for the past couple of games, HEYAL YEAH.

Do we still have alot of things to work on, as in getting an actual pass rush, yep.

but for a Sunday NFL football game this one wasn't too bad. Someone had to be the loser and someone had to be the winner. But we at least showed up and PLAYED this game, unlike the last 2 games.

I agree the Bengals played their worst game of the season. Your problem is is that you're not giving any credit to the Texans for making that happen. But given your outlook on most things, that's understandable.

Ahhhh.... the homers are out in full force.

To your "points". The running game was about average today. I wouldn't say that they ran the ball "well". The passing game was pathetic again. I know that 170 yards makes some people jump for joy around here, but they were below average passing the ball today. Dre - 38 yards. 7 sacks. A fumble. Below average.

The Bengals played their worst game of this season, that is a fact.

Enough excuses people. The referees didn't lose this game... Carr and the incompetent offense did.

You are very correct David Carr Never showed leadership in this game i must og counted about 6 or 7 check down passes from david carr thats awfull you have your WR in full Stride and you check down but what can we expect we do have fresno states 5th all time best QB

Porky said:
What do you not understand about being happy with there effort. That doesnt mean were happy they lost that just means were happy that they actually tried.

thegr8fan said:
try watching the game without the 'beerbuzz' wonger if you think that the Refs weren't a determining factor of this game. From the Dunta pass interference call for the Bengals first TD, to that absolutely unbelievable fumble call, the Refs determined this game throughout with some of the worst calls I have ever seen in ANY NFL football game. How those Refs will ever be able to call another game is beyond belief, but since Refs can't or won't be fired then I am sure this team will manage to bungle their way through the season and pick up their paycheck after every game. This team of Refs were quite simply STUPID.

Watch the game without a beer buzz? That's ludicrous!

I believe it was Faggins called for the interference.

Either way, referees don't lose games, players and coaches lose games. They had plently of chances to score before the fumble.

Coach C. said:
Obviously you are a little lost on football my friend. The Texans played much better than the first two games and came away with some new wrinkles that they can use in later games. Moving the pocket really helped DC have time to make plays. Gaff looked like a player today. The offense gave the defense time to catch their breath. No turnovers and two scores. This was a much more intense team and they should be commended for that. A loss is still a loss, but you got to take from it what you can.

mi amigo, you make it sound like the Texans are a pop Warner team with special needs that must be handled with kid gloves and not a billion dollar franchise of highly paid skilled 'professionals'--too, your thinking would make more sense if this were the 1st game and not the 51st (not counting pre-season)---just think, the avg college football player plays less than 50 games

Watch the game without a beer buzz? That's ludicrous!

I believe it was Faggins called for the interference.

Either way, referees don't lose games, players and coaches lose games. They had plently of chances to score before the fumble.
Why dont you tell the Houston Rockets that Referees dont lose games.

thegr8fan said:
Am I happy about he loss, NO. Am I happy about the fact that the Texans showed marked improvement across most of the area's of concern for the past couple of games, HEYAL YEAH.

Do we still have alot of things to work on, as in getting an actual pass rush, yep.

but for a Sunday NFL football game this one wasn't too bad. Someone had to be the loser and someone had to be the winner. But we at least showed up and PLAYED this game, unlike the last 2 games.

I agree with everything said here 100%. :thumbup

There is nothing homer about trying to take something positive out of a critical analysis of today's game. Being 0-3 sucks no matter what, but we don't need to get emotional about it.

I think we can improve on the fundamentals of today and take them into game 4. I'm feeling much less down about this loss than I did over the first two games.

Coach C. said:
buddy I understand. First and foremost never mention my kid or any other persons kid on the board that is just bad taste.

It's called an analogy. You might try looking that up some time. :ok:

Never mind, I will do it for you:

a·nal·o·gy Pronunciation (-nl-j)
n. pl. a·nal·o·gies
a. Similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar.
b. A comparison based on such similarity.

Lucky said:
That's because we're fans of a losing team. I'd be concerned for their mental health if they had a winner's mentality.

Being a fan of a team is sort of like a marriage. For better or worse. In sickness and in health. Well, we're in the worst health yet. Everyone from Bob McNair to Joe Texan wants to find the cure. The assumption that the Texans organization and/or the fans don't want to turn this around is absurd. Have we blamed every executive, coach, player, scout, and trainer to the point where nothing is left but to point the finger at ourselves? Let's try to keep it real, people.

Why would you be concerned if people had a winner's mentality? You have to have the mentality of thinking what you want to become. It's like the saying goes - don't dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want. (Disclaimer: That is an analogy. Any resembelence to the dress of real persons on this mb, their familes, friends, priest, or others, is entirely coincidental.) While I was mildly encouraged by some things I saw on the field today, I am in no way happy, or satisfied. The team I saw today is a 5-6 win team. The team of the first two weeks was a 0-2 win team. So, the fact that we now look like a team capable of winning 5 games instead of 1 or 2 is supposed to make us delirous and jumping for joy?

Huge said:
Well, let's analyze the first few games:

Week 1: @ Buffalo (31st in total offense, 7th in total defense)
Lost 7-22
Offense: 120 total net yards, 5 sacks, 5 turnovers
Defense: 316 total net yards, 1 sack, 0 turnovers

Week 2: Pittsburgh (6th in total offense, 19th in total defense)
Lost 7-27
Offense: 221 total yards, 8 sacks, 1 turnover
Defense: 388 total yards, 1 sack, 0 turnovers

Week 4: @ Cincinatti (3rd in total offense, 15th in total defense)
Lost 10-16
Offense: 254 total yards, 7 sacks, 1 (ahem) turnover
Defense: 371 total yards, 2 sacks, 0 turnovers

So against a tougher defense than Pittsburgh (on the road), the offense produced more points and more yards. Against a tougher offense than Pittsburgh (on the road), the defense gave up fewer points and fewer yards.

But you didn't see any difference between the weeks.

I get the feeling you'd rather lose pretty than win ugly.

Keep up the good work, Huge!

A loss is still a loss and that's just the way it is.

However they played a more competitive game today. You had the feeling they could have won if they had made a play here or there. That is better on any day that what you saw against the Steelers and Bills.

Porky said:
So, the fact that we now look like a team capable of winning 5 games instead of 1 or 2 is supposed to make us delirous and jumping for joy?

I can understand sarcasm, but if that's truly how you feel, it's a little extreme. Even if someone is a huge :homer: I don't see how they could be like that.

Porky said:

Being a fan doesn't mean you ***** and moan about everything the team does wrong week after week until they bring home the championship. Being a fan is supporting your team. Acknowledging improvement and progress. No one is happy that we lost. But it doesn't mean we can't find positives in the way they played. Pointing out improvement is not making excuses and it's not excitement over mediocrety. Everyone wants to see the team get better, but you don't bash them just becuase they don't throw for 500 yards, rush for 200 and score 9 TDs in one game. That's called a fair weather fan. With them when the going is good and dump on them when the going gets tough.

we lost, I'm happy, call it whatever you want, I don't care.

The Texans played with a little fire today, they hit hard, they had heart, they never gave up. If you can't recognize that then you're missing half the fun. I guess if I couldn't see that I'd be bitter too.

Go Texans beat Titans!!!

Hulk75 said:
If you like to speak so negative toward this team then I suggest you go jump on a band wagon some place and leave this team alone, Eagles, Patriots a team that will not upset you so much, even after they played their butts off.

Bottom line "The suckiest call ever" gets reversed, we WIN that ball game. Because there Defense could not stop us from getting down the field, we stop are selves with penalties and DROPPED BALLS DRE'!

We ran and threw the ball very well today.

Some of you try to feed so much BULL **** down peoples throats around here, just because you look at things in a negative mind set.

We played well and got homered at the end.

When our D finds a way to get us a turnover our O will do even better.

Dont feed me this "Bengals played the worst game ever", stuff I am not buying!

That was a sucky call, but you can't say that the Texans win if the call's reversed. As on that play, after the one Texans touchdown, the Bengals were finally starting to get to Carr. I'm not saying the Texans wouldn't have won. If that would've happened deep in Bengal territory, I'd say that the refs stole your chance to at least tie the game.

That said, in response to the various posts on this thread.

1. Of course, the Bengals did not play down to the Texans. That's crazy. It was mentioned on our board. That's just stupid rationalization for almost losing to an 0-2 team (That didn't paly like an 0-2 team.) If the Bengals played down to any team, they're not a play-off caliber team.

2. The Bengals didn't play their worse game ever. Their D was the same bend don't break, 10 points a game D that it's been so far. They had trouble against a rejuvenated offense with serious weapons and a new OC that they couldn't prepare for. And the Houston D played the same bend don't break D.
No excuses. It was a good hard fought battle to the end.

3. I agree that the Bengals are over-rated at this point. The sports writers see a big, on-going story about a team that's lost for over a decade and are starting to win. They're playing great and play-offs are looking like a reality, but they have a long way to go. When they beat Pittsburgh, Jax, Indy, then I'll start who-deying til the cows come home. Bengals board members will eat me alive if they read this, but I just have the same philosophy that Marvin and the Bengals have, "We haven't done nothing yet." Who cares what the sports writers say? This isn't college. The writers have no bearing on the Bengals success whatsoever. It's nice to get good press after the negative press for the last dozen years, but you can't put too much stock in it. I don't read them. I did to get any idea about how they looked in camp since I couldn't go. But now I can watch the games and form my own opinion.

Thanks for letting me rant. Good luck this season. It looks like Pendry is starting to right the ship. I will be rooting for you. I bet you hand Indy at least one loss. I'll come back then to boast. Who-dey!

If anything, the refs kept the Texans in the game by flagging the Bengals something like 14 times for 117 yards. This is a game the Texans would have won last year, or the year before, or maybe even the year before.

What we saw yesterday could be considered progress since Week 1 of this season but I'm measuring progress using 2002 as the datum. I keep hearing "there's no question we're a better team." Yes we should be - but I sure don't see it. We may have already peaked with this group of players and coaching staff.

I could see a difference in the offensive play this week, they seem to me to be playing with a sense of urgency and not 100% confident in what's going on,but I suppose that's understandable no longer than Pendry has been "in charge" under Capers rule. No we didn't get embarrassed this week however if something drastic doesn't happen soon we could end up the first team in NFL history to go O-16, but then What the Hey it wouldn't be the first time a Houston franchise has set a negative NFL record...maybe THAT is what we have come to expect. This is not the product Bob McNair promised the fans. :brickwall :texflag: :brickwall

I'm happy that at least there was some improvements over the previous two games. The defense and offense both played better. I'm guessing we should have a better chance of pulling out of win against the Titans... :pigfly:

I must admit I was paying more attention to the Astros game instead of the Texans. Go ASTROS!

Wolf said:
I don't understand everyone's infatuation with Cincy .. they are not up to level of the elite teams yet IMO

Why not? They have a top 5 WR in Chad Johnson, quite possibly the best #2 WR in the league in TJ Houshmandzadeh, one of the best QB's in the league (I think this is 7 games in a row with a passer rating over 100), a RB who broke Corey Dillon's team rushing record, another first round RB who is our third down back, and change of pace back, a MLB who will more than likely win DROTY, a great young safety Madieu Williams (fortunately for you, he was injured), one of the best O-lines in the league, an astonishing 16 turnovers in the first four games, the best backup QB in the league, etc. etc.

I'm not at all surprised that we are 4-0 right now. The way this team has been drafting since Marvin Lewis came in has made it look obvious to me that we were going to finally be a very good team, and it looks like it will stay that way for a while.

I agree. The Texans showed some character today; the flaws, unfortunately, were there as well. Seven sacks .... come on, is this Kroger? However, Texans seemed to move the ball at times with a short pass and running game. We'll take some steps and hopefully can take out our frustrations on the Titans. Can't think of a better place to start than Sunday.

:texflag:

No I am not happy with any loss, but your statement would suggest that if one thought the effort was much better than what we have seen the prior two games then they would be happy with the loss.

Your ruse is sophomoric at best. Chicken little seems to becoming a state of mind around here and it stinks.

aj. said:
If anything, the refs kept the Texans in the game by flagging the Bengals something like 14 times for 117 yards. This is a game the Texans would have won last year, or the year before, or maybe even the year before.

What we saw yesterday could be considered progress since Week 1 of this season but I'm measuring progress using 2002 as the datum. I keep hearing "there's no question we're a better team." Yes we should be - but I sure don't see it. We may have already peaked with this group of players and coaching staff.

Well put AJ. We have talked about progress on this board quite a bit over the past couple of years. In the past it's been measured with statistics and wins/losses. Now we're measuring progress by how many times Carr throws the ball out of bounds vs. taking a sack. We're considering 170 yards passing against the 20th ranked pass defense progress. Giving up 7 sacks to a team that had 2 in 3 games is somehow progress because DD had 80 yards against a weak run defense.

Yes, the defense played okay. But they still got very little pressure on Palmer outside of the two sacks. If the Bengals hadn't shot themselves in the foot with all of their penalties it would have been a 3 score deficit.

There are so many problems with this team and the way it is being run. For those of you that are happy with this lose because the team didn't look like a bunch of high school kids for the first time in a long time... enjoy your moral victory. I for one am disgusted by what has transpired here. We were promised a competitive team and have seen no semblance of that. This team has regressed to their 2003 level of play if not worse.

I am never happy with a loss and that is what most of our fan will tell you. I hate to lose any game! I want our FIGHTING TEXANS to win every week. The effort was back and the team was in the game and was trying to win it....that is what people are happy with at this point! I am never happy when we have another loss on our record and will never except that as a good game because when you lose you don't reach your goal. THE TEXANS GOAL: SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!! That is it! It is a simple goal and the only goal. This is the teams only goal and they should be striving for it each and every week of the season and off~season for that matter. This week was just another stepping stone and I hope that we build our new found attitude and start taking that fight to each team we face!

Geaux Texans!!! :texflag:

James Henderson
Houston, Texas

aphia1996 said:
The effort was back and the team was in the game and was trying to win it....that is what people are happy with at this point!

Like AJ said, this is year 4, not year 1. Effort is great for a new or rebuilding franchise, but we have been told every step of the way that progress is being made when nothing could be further from the truth. If someone in the organization would step up and admit that they failed it would be easier to stomach.

The Texans are now the laughing stock of the league and considered the worst team in the NFL. If that is something to be happy about... enjoy.

If you accept mediocrity as fans then you will be served mediocrity

I know this from experience being a Bengal fan, our fans accepted less than mediocrity for 15 years and we were served less than mediocrity but we had some fans who wouldn't acknowledge what was happening and continued to financially support the team filling up the stadium and then voting to build them a new one at a cost of close to a billion dollars after interest when the team hadn't won more than 6 games in a season in 10 years. It all changed in 2002 when thew stadium was empty for a home game, ownership was forced to make a change or lose money

My advice is don't wait 15 years before you take action, and some of the best action you can take is hit em where it hurts! in their pocketbook!

Storm said:
If you accept mediocrity as fans then you will be served mediocrity.

My advice is don't wait 15 years before you take action, and some of the best action you can take is hit em where it hurts! in their pocketbook!

Mediocrity was served yesterday and we still have fans talking about how much improvement they are seeing. I have to admit that I was impressed by Carr throwing the ball away instead of running out of bounds. The fact that it took a new offensive coordinator to teach him this very basic concept is inexplicable. It just shows how badly things have broken here.

Our owner is a man of business foremost. I can't see him waiting another year, much less 15 to clean house and make his second attempt at a 4-year plan.

My problem is that they could go 2-14 and I would still renew my season tickets each year - like what I did with the Oilers during the dark ages of '82-'85.

People often confuse criticism with jumping ship and that's a mistake. (It's a mistake to confuse the two and it's a mistake to jump ship). You don't have to stop buying tickets to let them know you're not happy - although many will do just that.

aj. said:
You don't have to stop buying tickets to let them know you're not happy
Not that I recommend it and will not do it myself, but that would be the most effective way to let McNair know you're not happy - you'd get his attention
for sure !

Back