Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2005   #1
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle
Default Running backs

I say bring back Hollings, at least he was different and had the ability to get to the corner.

I dont know what the team sees in Verand Morency and was just another wasted draft pick when you consider how good Wells has improved along with the team.

I have to say I think Wells could take the role of starter if Davis goes down. He has looked very good when he gets the chance to run the ball.

Davis: Starter
Wells: Bruiser
Hollings: Speedster

Dont have a clue why we got Morency, other than to run straight into the pack and get tackled on the 20 yard line on all kick offs.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hollings....is....a....bust. Vernand Morency has a tremendous upside. With no experience at all, he is already WAY better than Hollings, but it still might have been better to use that pick for something else. Jonathon Wells is no slouch. You're right about that.

I can't believe someone still wants to start Hollings.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #3
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Im not saying start Hollings, I am saying he is a better change of pace because of his speed.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, that makes a lot more since, but I still disagree. I've never seen Hollings do anything. I've heard that he's fast, but he never shows it, except apparently in track sprints. Now, Morency, he looks fast on a football field. He just doesn't quite know when to do what like DD does.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Morency is the quickest RB we have, just because he can't return kicks doesn't mean he can't contribute as a RB. I am guessing you didn't watch any of the preseason games, because Morency looked as good as Davis and Wells, if not better...
Old 10-01-2005   #6
BengalStripes
Rookie

RB is the least of your worries, IMO.
BengalStripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well this MB is to discuss all aspects of our team...
Old 10-01-2005   #8
BengalStripes
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Well this MB is to discuss all aspects of our team...
Which is why I respond to a thread titled "RUNNING BACKS" with '"RB is the least of your worries."

Texans need O-Line help. Protection, protection, protection.

Unless you don't want Dom Davis and A Johnson. We'll take both of them if you don't think them worthy of your team.
BengalStripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Which is why I respond to a thread titled "RUNNING BACKS" with '"RB is the least of your worries."

Texans need O-Line help. Protection, protection, protection.

Unless you don't want Dom Davis and A Johnson. We'll take both of them if you don't think them worthy of your team.
Texans don't need O line help, they need TE's who can block, use 2 RB's to block for Carr instead of 1, and Carr needs to stop running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage when he could throw the ball away...Check to see how many sacks are credited to the O line...
Old 10-01-2005   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

.... this thread leaves me speechless.

Hollings? oh how quickly we forget..
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #11
Davis37
All Pro

Plz dont ever say Hollings again... The guy is a bust... period... The only thing he can do to get positive yards is screens. "Mr. H" better have studied hard in college because its time for him to enter the "real world" and get a job. The closest he should ever get to another football field should be right next to you... In the stands
Old 10-01-2005   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

wasn't Hollings a db in College before converting to rb in 4 games. the Texans keep trying to circumvent the process of aquiring an elite rb with a starter from the 3rd & 4th rd plus a supplemental pick. Texans lack the running game that should be developed by now. the trick will be to retool and quickly. its going to require a two step process- the physical handle the rock 30+ times rb and elite pulling Center that work well together.

did I mention that Minnesota leads the nation in rushing yards- 326.5 Y/G

Last edited by beerlover; 10-01-2005 at 04:12 AM.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Morency is the most talented back we have. He will be our feature back one day soon....I just don't know when. Dom goes back to 3rd down back and kick returner by next year sometime to be one of the better ones in that role.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #14
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I think Morency is the most talented back we have. He will be our feature back one day soon....I just don't know when. Dom goes back to 3rd down back and kick returner by next year sometime to be one of the better ones in that role.
Wow Vinny you have an active imagination. Morency has talent, but he is the same back as Dom Davis with age and less vision. Morency is a good second back and possible 3rd down back, but as a 20+ carry runner I just dont feel he has it. Take a look at his games in college against the top of the big 12 he was overwhelmed. If he goes against first team defenses in something more than preseason vanilla then he will not be overly productive. At least not with our current team.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a moot point because as a starter both Morency and Davis are about a half step above "ordinary". Wells is just ordinary. Hollings is below ordinary with extraordinary speed. This isn't a bad thing because every team in the NFL has guys running second and third team who are in this same talent range. They come in, play hard, and give you your hundred yards (sometimes) when the starter is out.

From time to time they have a good day or a good series of games and they look like legitimate franchise backs but most of the time it's just a question of them running on a team that either sucks against the run, or a team that is playing the run soft because they don't fear the second team quality back. That's why DomD gets his thousand every year (and not much more).

We all have opinions and that's mine. I believe that our "franchise back" is yet to be drafted. We don't have a guy who can get it done all the time, we never have had one.
Old 10-01-2005   #16
Mr Shush
Veteran

Bear in mind that Morency is actually older than Davis. Less wear on the tyres, sure, but still.

I also think that the Davis's new contract makes it pretty clear that we see him as our starter for a few years yet - that's a lot of money to pay for a third down back.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I got to agree with Vincent on this one, because Morency has that quickness,
explosiveness hitting the line and those first steps beyond the line after the cut that's maybe the single most important ability a good back needs to have.
Time will tell if he has the versatility that DD has, i.e. can he be a reliable pass receiver. But he's definitely the best pure runner on the Texans' roster.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #18
Mr Shush
Veteran

I think the sad truth is that we're still at a stage where we have to pay over the odds for any player not on his rookie contract, because given the choice they'd rather play elsewhere. Davis's new deal is considerably cheaper than would be the case for a top flight RB, because neither he nor the front office think he is one. It also represents much better value for us than the crazy contract the Saints gave McAllister. But I agree that we're paying a solid starter like a good starter. I just don't think we have a choice - the alternative would be an inadequate starter, at this point. Morency may turn out to be as good as you think - I have no idea, as living in the UK I have yet to see one second of him on film. If he does, terrific, but he's far from a proven NFL running back at the moment.
Old 10-01-2005   #19
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Hollings is horrid. I'd like to see him as a kick returner in place of morency however. But I really would rather P-Buch be the KR. As far as morency goes he's a bust. If DD goes down I say take wells.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #20
Mr Shush
Veteran

To label a player a bust two games into their first season in the league is daft. Morency may turn out to be a bust, he may turn out to be a pro-bowler. We don't know yet. Buchanon has never been a KR in the league, only a PR, and I believe that when healthy Mathis is the starting KR (and with good reason, given his college record).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read