Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-30-2005   #1
D-Rob23
Veteran

Default FOXSPORTS: College football's most unique traditions

From FoxSports.com (Top Ten Unique Traditions)
LINK

1. Texas A&M 12th Man
No tradition in college football embodies the spirit of the sport more than the Texas A&M 12th Man. Going against No. 1 Centre College in 1922, the Aggies were scrapping for players in a tough game that took its toll on both sides. A&M head coach Dana X. Bible, in need of more bodies, called up to the press box for E. King Gill, a basketball player who had seen a little bit of time on the football team in previous seasons, to put on a uniform and be prepared to play. The Aggies pulled off the 22-14 upset without needing Gill's services, but he stood ready on the sidelines earning the moniker of the 12th Man.

Now, A&M's 12th Man is a student section that stands the entire game prepared in case they're needed. Former Aggie head coach Jackie Sherrill took it one step further by allowing A&M students to form the kickoff coverage unit. It eventually evolved into an honor belonging to one student who gets to play on special teams.
Old 10-02-2005   #2
Haams
All Pro

Another unique (or should say I say ridiculous) A&M tradition I just learned yesterday is that not only does Revelie attend class - but if he barks class is cancelled. That's one prestigious university that allows some mutt to determine class schedules.
Haams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #3
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

I'm happy they didn't mess with Chief Osceola's appearance, even though they tried. .. that is quite a sight to behold before their games ...
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #4
Theoridic
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Theoridic

Quote:
That's one prestigious university that allows some mutt to determine class schedules
I am sorry ya'll don't have any traditions. I guess if bevo farts ya'll should get out also. Some of the most prestigious university's have some real whacked out traditions, but they are traditions. Thats what makes every college unique.

UT's mascot is, unsurprisingly, a Longhorn steer named Bevo. Like the majority of the school's students, Bevo spends most of his life in a drugged-up stupor. They plunk the poor thing down on the sideline during games to incite pep, but that's about all he does.

Sounds real prestigiuos
Theoridic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #5
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

We do have one great tradition at UT...we beat A&M.

Last edited by TheOgre; 10-03-2005 at 04:02 PM.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #6
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Maybe an A&M student/alumni can confirm, but isn't there another deal where if the dog gets on your bed you are no longer allowed to sleep in it? For that night anyway I guess, I don't know the details or the validity.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Another aTm tradition.

Last edited by Blake; 10-03-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2005   #8
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
We do have one great tradition at UT...we beat A&M.
I hear OU has a similar tradition when it comes to UT....
Old 10-03-2005   #9
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
Maybe an A&M student/alumni can confirm, but isn't there another deal where if the dog gets on your bed you are no longer allowed to sleep in it? For that night anyway I guess, I don't know the details or the validity.
I heard about this and it use to be like that. But now you can either give up the bed or stay, depending on what Revielle does.
Old 10-03-2005   #10
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haams
Another unique (or should say I say ridiculous) A&M tradition I just learned yesterday is that not only does Revelie attend class - but if he barks class is cancelled. That's one prestigious university that allows some mutt to determine class schedules.
Ya, your views couldnt be more biased. My sister is a business honor at UT and she loves the idea of the barking tradtion.
Old 10-05-2005   #11
Haams
All Pro

That darn dog...I love the way he's a 5 star cadet, the highest ranking member of the corps. I know nothing would make me feel better than being outranked by an individual who defecates in public and chews on shoes.
Old 10-05-2005   #12
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoridic
I am sorry ya'll don't have any traditions. I guess if bevo farts ya'll should get out also. Some of the most prestigious university's have some real whacked out traditions, but they are traditions. Thats what makes every college unique.

UT's mascot is, unsurprisingly, a Longhorn steer named Bevo. Like the majority of the school's students, Bevo spends most of his life in a drugged-up stupor. They plunk the poor thing down on the sideline during games to incite pep, but that's about all he does.

Sounds real prestigiuos
Don't you aggies also have a little tradition of kissing your woman after a score. Must admit, a&m does have some fine traditions and spirit. I have many good friends that are aggies and my sons will probably go there also. My friends are pretty normal and don't get all caught up in the ut/a&m bs. My kids were brought up to respect ALL others, so hopefully they will not become brainwashed up there. Keep the traditions alive, but don't disrespect others.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #13
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by profan
Don't you aggies also have a little tradition of kissing your woman after a score. Must admit, a&m does have some fine traditions and spirit. I have many good friends that are aggies and my sons will probably go there also. My friends are pretty normal and don't get all caught up in the ut/a&m bs. My kids were brought up to respect ALL others, so hopefully they will not become brainwashed up there. Keep the traditions alive, but don't disrespect others.
Haams, listen to profan he has some good advice. I really don't see how so far you've found every A&M tradition bad in some way.
Old 10-06-2005   #14
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
I hear OU has a similar tradition when it comes to UT....
Texas leads the all time series 55-39-5.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read