Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2005   #1
bengalhook
Rookie

Default What should Bengals D expect?

With Pendry taking over and having two weeks to prepare, do you think your O will have a lot of new looks that the Bengals D hasn't seen on films? This makes me a little nervous as a Bengals fan. Though I don't know how substantially he could improve the O-line in two weeks. I'm new to the board. Thanks for having me. Here's to a great, safe game on Sunday.
bengalhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #2
CinciFan
Rookie

If you're having trouble with protecting the QB, get the ball out of his hands faster - slants, crossing routes, runs, and passes to RB are the calls to stock up on.
CinciFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #3
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome aboard! Nobody really knows what to expect. I'd think you could plan for a heavy serving of Davis and Morency sprinkled with a few tosses to Johnson. Palmer was oil to Capers water. Pendry is jelly to Capers peanut butter. They would be thrilled if Carr only throws 10-15 times. With the Bengals D only seeming to have one soft spot, the plan should fit right into what Pendry/Capers would look to do anyways. Run, run and run again.
Old 09-30-2005   #4
bengalhook
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
Welcome aboard! Nobody really knows what to expect. I'd think you could plan for a heavy serving of Davis and Morency sprinkled with a few tosses to Johnson. Palmer was oil to Capers water. Pendry is jelly to Capers peanut butter. They would be thrilled if Carr only throws 10-15 times. With the Bengals D only seeming to have one soft spot, the plan should fit right into what Pendry/Capers would look to do anyways. Run, run and run again.
Thanks. I hope the Bengals D-line tightens up soon. At least they aren't getting killed outside on the dump passes to backs and TEs like the last couple years.
Old 09-30-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalhook
Thanks. I hope the Bengals D-line tightens up soon. At least they aren't getting killed outside on the dump passes to backs and TEs like the last couple years.
I think most of your problems was in your linebacker group and not your line. Odell Thurman has made a big impact so far....great pick.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #6
touttail
All Pro

I think the Bengals D will see more dump offs to the RB and TE's.
Pendry goal is for Carr to git rid of the ball quicker and have a slow game controlling offense.

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #7
HUGETexansfan
Rookie

I feel like the changes should be good ones. I am not sure exactly what to expect from Pendry, but it HAS to be better than Palmer. I have been saying since the second season that we needed to get rid of him. I am hoping that Carr perks up and that we can get him some massive coverage. Lets get this thing back on track!

HUGETexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2005   #8
BREAZE
Veteran

The formula to shut down our offense is really simple...blitz, blitz, and then blitz.

Getting rid of Palmer was certainly the right move, but I think Pendry is a band-aid and not the solution. Its amusing that some here think the former O-line coach is now going to have better blocking because he is the O-cord. This thinking just defies logic. I expect to see some mix up in play calling, but without a good O-line the results may be similar to the last 2 games and your guys should be in good shape.

I would love to be wrong...

Last edited by BREAZE; 09-30-2005 at 11:36 AM.
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #9
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I think most of your problems was in your linebacker group and not your line. Odell Thurman has made a big impact so far....great pick.
Ya it must be great to have 2nd and 3rd round picks...
Old 09-30-2005   #10
bengalhook
Rookie

Quote:
I agree. I was including the LBs in the D-line (Being lazy). Odell has made a humungous difference. And one of the reasons they drafted Pollack was his quickness to get outside and stop the outlets.
Old 09-30-2005   #11
HUGETexansfan
Rookie

Sorry, new here guys. Yes, I do agree with the Defensive problem as well. Yes, we should have found another O-coord in the off season. Why they waited SO LONG I will never ever claim to understand. We have to just get our act together. I feel like we have gone back three years. Don't get me wrong. I will always be a HUGE fan and I will ALWAYS argue with my husband over the whole Texans/Cowboys thing. But we REALLY have to come back and be a TEAM.
HUGETexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
Ya it must be great to have 2nd and 3rd round picks...
my sentiment's exactly.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #13
cincybearcattt

Quote:
With Pendry taking over and having two weeks to prepare, do you think your O will have a lot of new looks that the Bengals D hasn't seen on films? This makes me a little nervous as a Bengals fan. Though I don't know how substantially he could improve the O-line in two weeks. I'm new to the board. Thanks for having me. Here's to a great, safe game on Sunday.
1test
Old 09-30-2005   #14
ohwhyknott
Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
That's pretty good observing there, no doubt!!! In the last 2 years Cincy tried to sign at least 2 big name defensive tackles, Warren Sapp, & Corey Simon!!! Sapp?, well he's Sapp, not much to say there- (that you don't allready know) But look at the job the Colts are doing on defense!!! Makes me REALLY wish they could have gotten him into the system!!! The BENGALS could have been a lot tougher on thier run defense, & letting the D-linemen pin thier ears back & come at people a lot more!!! But we can't complain---We feel like Coach Lewis is going to show them the way to the promised land!!! With a strong crop of interior D-linemen available in the up-comming draft, I think everybody knows where they are probably going to go with the 1st pick!!! (I really wish they could get thier hands on A.J. Hawk, O.S.U.) but he'll probably be long gone by then, we're hopeful for a good season---sorry---NOT a jab---But I've had fun this week picking at y'all (y'all was K.Y.-not Texas-lol)---& we'll see ya Sunday!!! Bring your dancin' shoes, I'm sure Chad will!!! WHO DEY!!!

Last edited by ohwhyknott; 09-30-2005 at 02:56 PM.
ohwhyknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwhyknott
WHO DEY!!!
Off topic, but I don't believe it deserves it own thread...What's the story on why Bengals fans say Who Dey?
Old 09-30-2005   #16
ohwhyknott
Rookie

Quote:
Ever since Takeo Spikes left, the LB's have needed help, when you lose a high 1st round pick & perenial all-pro lb.---It can't help but slow the building process!!!---I'm so anxious for David Pollack to begin to really shine!!!---He gets great push on the pass rush, & though it has'nt shone up on the stat sheet, He's caused a lot of linemen to fold & buckle into the qb, thus causing at least 3 of those picks. Check out #99 this Sunday. He didn't have much time in training camp (contract) but he's starting to show up!!!---I think you'll like him, He's a real bull (no pun intended)---Sorry, I keep forgeting stuff. This years other MAJOR steal was Chris Henry, He's like a gazelle with great hands! Did you see that catch against the Bears??? The guy looked like he was trying to twist his head off!!!---No call, but would have refused it anyway. That was a great catch!!! I believe he's why Peter Warrick was let go!!!(Warrick was 1st rounder)

Last edited by ohwhyknott; 09-30-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2005   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Welcome to the board, man. It's always a pleasure to talk football with fellow NFL fans.

I think you'll see a fired up team this week. If nothing else, the changes have definitely woke 'em up!

On offense, it'll probably be a pretty simple gameplan, as Pendry is committed to dictating his offense (as opposed to Palmer's philosophy of letting defenses dictate what kind of game we are going to call). You'll probably see some dudes get their butts chewed off on the sideline, too, as he's not shy about calling out players that make mistakes. The plays themselves...well, we're not sure what to expect, either, so it'll definitely be an interesting one to watch from that perspective.

On defense, I really expect to see some fire and aggression, and I'm hoping we see a lot more successful blitzes. There hasn't been any turnovers by our D, and they seem very soft on their coverage the first two games. I really hope this changes, as I know Chad Johnson will eat us alive if we give him anything soft.
Old 09-30-2005   #18
ohwhyknott
Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Off topic, but I don't believe it deserves it own thread...What's the story on why Bengals fans say Who Dey?
Who Dey started back in 81-82 for Super Bowl XVI---I know it's seems a bit strange, but some college kids from U.C. Bearcats allways went to the games in force. I believe they get the credit for it. Man that stadium would ROCK when they started into it!!! In th A.F.C. Championship game,It drove Dan Fouts, & the San Diego Chargers crazy!!! They had to keep asking the refs for quiet!! & the refs responded by telling Forrest Gregg they would pentalize us for it. So players, Coaches, & staff was waving thier arms for quiet!!!---GREAT TIMES!!!---I was there!!! Oh allmost forgot---65* below 0*-wind chill

Last edited by ohwhyknott; 09-30-2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2005   #19
ohwhyknott
Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
There was a line from the movie "Stir Crazy"---With Richard Pryor & Gene Wilder.----About a prison rodeo(held in Texas)---A fellow prisoner gave his opinion of a bull to Richard. He said---"A bull is like a train, except for one thing---a train won't back-up to finish the job!!!----LOL---Thought you Texans Fans would like that!!!---------(This was directed to LUCKY for the earlier post about bulls)

Last edited by ohwhyknott; 09-30-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2005   #20
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwhyknott
There was a line from the movie "Stir Crazy"---With Richard Pryor & Gene Wilder.----About a prison rodeo(held in Texas)---A fellow prisoner gave his opinion of a bull to Richard. He said-- "A bull is like a train, except for one thing---a train won't back-up to finish the job!!! ---LOL---Thought you Texans Fans would like that!!!---------(This was directed to LUCKY for the earlier post about bulls)
Hehe-nice. I expect that to be in someone's forum signature now.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read