Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Top LT's in 2006 draft

If the Texans continue their ways it looks like we'll end up with a top 10 pick. Here's a list and a scouting report of some of the stud LT's in the 2006 draft.

D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON OT | Virginia | Scouting Report
Had he come out after his junior season Ferguson likely would have gone either #2 or #3 overall, but he chose to return to school and is in line to be one of the premier prospects available in '06. A rare athlete for a man his size, Ferguson is a potential franchise left tackle whose name deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as guys like Tony Boselli, Jon Ogden and Orlando Pace.

MARCUS MCNEILL OT | Auburn | Scouting Report
McNeill would have been a first rounder last year and with a strong senior campaign he will be right in the Top 10 mix and battling to be the first offensive tackle chosen in April of '06.

ERIC WINSTON OT | Miami (FL) | Scouting Report
A former tight end, Winston is a great athlete and similar in many ways to Robert Gallery. If not for a knee injury last season Winston probably would have entered the 2005 NFL Draft and been the top offensive lineman off the board, but if he can show he is healthy as a senior he should still be right in the mix for the Top 10 overall this time around as well. In most years Winston would be the clear-cut choice as the #1 tackle available.

JONATHAN SCOTT OT | Texas | Scouting Report
Jonathan Scott is a prototypical left tackle prospect with all the tools you look for and, in my opinion, he is being overshadowed by the likes of Ferguson, Winston and McNeill. Rest assured though that he is just behind that trio and could ultimately end up being a tremendous value pick for someone.

JUSTIN BLALOCK OT | Texas | Scouting Report
Yet another in a long line of great Longhorn offensive lineman, Blalock is the top junior out there but with such a strong senior crop he may be best suited to return to school next year rather than compete with the likes of Ferguson, Winston, McNeill and his own teammate Scott.

*Taken from http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/

I see the words "value pick" in Jonathan Scott's "blurb" up there so I know what that means.

Charlie will have the chance to draft one or more of the three at the top but, like the crafty Riverboat Gambler (TM) he loves to be percieved as he'll trade down to get us more picks (to be given away later) and hope that Scott will be there later in the first. Scott will be gone but then Cass will pick Blalock and say all along that this was the guy he wanted. Cass will wink at the camera and flash a "Hook em" sign in a bid to win back some of the UT fans he lost last season.

Blalock is a RT and will project to play guard in the NFL. He would've been playing guard at Texas but they were short on talent at RT.

He's a better offensive lineman than Scott. He just doesn't project to play a more important position (RG vs LT).

Huge said:
Blalock is a RT and will project to play guard in the NFL. He would've been playing guard at Texas but they were short on talent at RT.

He's a better offensive lineman than Scott. He just doesn't project to play a more important position (RG vs LT).

agree with you on Blalock HUGE but enjoyed his humorous, cynical & sarcastic back-handed slap to
Casserly
Hervoyel said:
Charlie will have the chance to draft one or more of the three at the top but, like the crafty Riverboat Gambler (TM) he loves to be percieved as he'll trade down to get us more picks (to be given away later) and hope that Scott will be there later in the first. Scott will be gone but then Cass will pick Blalock and say all along that this was the guy he wanted. Cass will wink at the camera and flash a "Hook em" sign in a bid to win back some of the UT fans he lost last season.

D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON OT | Virginia | Scouting Report
Had he come out after his junior season Ferguson likely would have gone either #2 or #3 overall, but he chose to return to school and is in line to be one of the premier prospects available in '06. A rare athlete for a man his size, Ferguson is a potential franchise left tackle whose name deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as guys like Tony Boselli, Jon Ogden and Orlando Pace.
I'm tired of hearing the hype on this guy. When I watch him, he never dominates the way Bosseli, Pace, Ogden, or even Gallery did in college. All he has going for him is size and speed.

Youngstown Colt said:
I'm tired of hearing the hype on this guy. When I watch him, he never dominates the way Bosseli, Pace, Ogden, or even Gallery did in college. All he has going for him is size and speed.

He doesn't have size going for him.... yet. He's only 6'5 295 lbs. When he gets to an NFL program and puts on more muscle he should become more dominate in the running game. In pass blocking he's as elite as they come. I've only seen a few games with him, but the pass rusher over him never got any pressure on the QB.

Johnny Utah said:
He doesn't have size going for him.... yet. He's only 6'5 295 lbs. When he gets to an NFL program and puts on more muscle he should become more dominate in the running game. In pass blocking he's as elite as they come. I've only seen a few games with him, but the pass rusher over him never got any pressure on the QB.
Well I watched him in the bowl game last year against Fresno, and he was beaten several times by several players. Twice by a DE, once by a LB, and once by a friggin safety.

I'm telling you, this guy isn't even on Jamal Browns level.

Youngstown Colt said:
Well I watched him in the bowl game last year against Fresno, and he was beaten several times by several players. Twice by a DE, once by a LB, and once by a friggin safety.

I'm telling you, this guy isn't even on Jamal Browns level.

well its going to be hard to judge from here because of his knee injury & Jammal Brown is a RT. listen I saw that game too and your right, to me he just did not stand out. Mankins was absoultly awesome on the other hand, taken in the 1st rd by the Patriots he has been a starter there since day one.

getting back to this class of tackles until proven otherwise despite what any scouting service or internet site posts as to who the best PRO tackle will be I'm going to stick with Andrew Whitworth of LSU. I was leaning towards Jonathan Scott of Texas but Whitworth is just awesome, a gamer someone the Texans could use on the line. also from what I've seen over the course of the last two seasons for the Texans is that they need a Center. I was very impressed with Mangolds leadership & smarts but when I watched Greg Eslinger of Minnesota he blew me away along with the holes he creates for Laurence Maroney who leads the nation avg. 174.5 yards per game.

this is where the Texans fate was sealed Willis McGahee would be a Texan not Andre Johnson if he had not torn his ACL the last game of his college career. this would have given Carr the power running game needed to relax in the pocket, taking pressure off the rush and not damaging his psyche. they could have easily traded down and picked up more picks plus drafted Willis (before Buffalo 23rd).

if the Texans do finish with a high pick it may be time to think serious about either an elite RB or combination of premier offensive linemen to protect David Carr. if others are downgrading Whitworth to the 2nd rd fine, trade down & pick up an extra late 1st rd pick (Eslinger) and get that elite RB Maroney. along with Davis and Morency and a solid offensive line the Texans will have the ability to consistantly run the ball and control the clock.

beerlover said:
well its going to be hard to judge from here because of his knee injury & Jammal Brown is a RT. listen I saw that game too and your right, to me he just did not stand out. Mankins was absoultly awesome on the other hand, taken in the 1st rd by the Patriots he has been a starter there since day one.

getting back to this class of tackles until proven otherwise despite what any scouting service or internet site posts as to who the best PRO tackle will be I'm going to stick with Andrew Whitworth of LSU. I was leaning towards Jonathan Scott of Texas but Whitworth is just awesome, a gamer someone the Texans could use on the line. also from what I've seen over the course of the last two seasons for the Texans is that they need a Center. I was very impressed with Mangolds leadership & smarts but when I watched Greg Eslinger of Minnesota he blew me away along with the holes he creates for Laurence Maroney who leads the nation avg. 174.5 yards per game.

this is where the Texans fate was sealed Willis McGahee would be a Texan not Andre Johnson if he had not torn his ACL the last game of his college career. this would have given Carr the power running game needed to relax in the pocket, taking pressure off the rush and not damaging his psyche. they could have easily traded down and picked up more picks plus drafted Willis (before Buffalo 23rd).

if the Texans do finish with a high pick it may be time to think serious about either an elite RB or combination of premier offensive linemen to protect David Carr. if others are downgrading Whitworth to the 2nd rd fine, trade down & pick up an extra late 1st rd pick (Eslinger) and get that elite RB Maroney. along with Davis and Morency and a solid offensive line the Texans will have the ability to consistantly run the ball and control the clock.
:pigfly: But sounds awsome.

beerlover said:

Yeah, I agree with you about Whit being the best tackle of the bunch.

But as for centers, look at Domanic Raiola from Wisconsin. That ground game is about as good as Minnisota's, and some of the leadership skills I've seen this guy display make me feel that he's the best center out there.

Youngstown Colt said:
Yeah, I agree with you about Whit being the best tackle of the bunch.

But as for centers, look at Domanic Raiola from Wisconsin. That ground game is about as good as Minnisota's, and some of the leadership skills I've seen this guy display make me feel that he's the best center out there.

You mean Donovan Raiola? looks good http://www.uwbadgers.com/sport_news/fb/bios/bio.aspx?id=Raiola_Donovan_fb&sport=fb

lets wait till OCT 15th when their teams play head to head and contrast their styles.

to be fair here is Greg Eslinger's bio http://www.gophersports.com/sports/player.asp?player_id=1812&sport_id=mfball

"ERIC WINSTON OT | Miami (FL) | Scouting Report
A former tight end, Winston is a great athlete and similar in many ways to Robert Gallery. If not for a knee injury last season Winston probably would have entered the 2005 NFL Draft and been the top offensive lineman off the board, but if he can show he is healthy as a senior he should still be right in the mix for the Top 10 overall this time around as well. In most years Winston would be the clear-cut choice as the #1 tackle available."
Bunch of us here watched the Miami-FSU game on nat TV awhile back and posted comments on this website about Winston and the general consensus
was that this guy was way overrated. He did not look at all athletic and had
a kinda waddle-girlie type way of running - not to becoming for a guy hoping
to go high in the NFL Draft next Spring. And worst of all he did not impress
with his pass blocking skills.

Back