Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-16-2004   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default who would you start

lucky for us we're not in this situation but for da raiders and the dolphins they have a pretty big choice

if you were norv turner who would you start...gannon or collins

if you were dave wandstedt(can never spell his name right) fiedler or feeley

while we're here

gibb's ramsey or brunell

parcell's testaverde or carter
Old 07-16-2004   #2
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
lucky for us we're not in this situation but for da raiders and the dolphins they have a pretty big choice

if you were norv turner who would you start...gannon or collins

if you were dave wandstedt(can never spell his name right) fiedler or feeley

while we're here

gibb's ramsey or brunell

parcell's testaverde or carter
Gannon, Feeley, Brunell and Testaverde
Old 07-16-2004   #3
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Collins
Fiedler
Ramsey
Testaverde
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #4
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Gannon - Harder to rattle
Fiedler - Lesser of two evils
Ramsey - He's the long-term solution, might as well get to it.
Testaverde - Carter will never get it done, go with the vet!
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #5
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Collins - just paid big money for him, you have to play him
Fiedler - isnt as bad as everybody in Miami thinks
Brunell - read Collins
Carter - he helped the Boys make the playoffs last year, you stick with him until you start falling out of the race...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #6
Mistril48
All Pro

Collins - has won when he has the weapons
Fiedler - Very high winning percentage when healthy and surrounded with reasonable talent
Brunell - read Collins
Testaverde - Carter not ideal to develop the team for Henson
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #7
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Collins
Fielder
Brunnel
Carter-QC, finally given his chance, produced 5th highest passing total in team history with 3,302 yards. He threw for 17 TD's, added 257 yds and 2 TD's on the ground.
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2004   #8
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Collins
Feeley
Brunell
Carter
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #9
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

my picks:

gannon: he took you to a superbowl stick with him til he says he's done
fiedler: feeley is an unproven QB
brunell: this guy was the man in jax...ramsey can take sometime to learn
testaverde: sorry carter fans i don't think he can get the job done

ramsey is a solid QB but he'll need a year to get spurrier out of his head...until then brunell needs to take the reins...he provides the best chance of winning now

testaverde is the right person to bring up henson as parcell's prodigey child

was never sold on collins anyways
Old 07-16-2004   #10
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys!
Carter-QC, finally given his chance, produced 5th highest passing total in team history with 3,302 yards. He threw for 17 TD's, added 257 yds and 2 TD's on the ground.
Nice record, but producing one of the highest passing totals for the Cowboys isnt that great when you notice that the team has depended on Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith for most of its history, so its not as if he has the 5th highest total for the Dolphins....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 07-17-2004   #11
flawedout
Rookie

i am glad i dont have to make those picks, so i wont.
flawedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004   #12
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Fiddy, Dallas has always had great Q.B's except for recently. Don Meridith, Roger Staubach, Danny Whte, Troy Aikman. How could Stabach and Aikman get in the hall of fame if they just relied on the rbs? You must not know anything about Stabach, White, Aikmen, or Meridith. I ask you please research them to see how great they were
Old 07-18-2004   #13
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Fiddy, Dallas has always had great Q.B's except for recently. Don Meridith, Roger Staubach, Danny Whte, Troy Aikman. How could Stabach and Aikman get in the hall of fame if they just relied on the rbs? You must not know anything about Stabach, White, Aikmen, or Meridith. I ask you please research them to see how great they were
I know that the Cowboys have had great QBs none were 'prolific' passers. For example: Troy Aikman had 7 season (out of 12) with less then 3000 passing, he averaged 199.65 yards passing per/game through out his career. For comparision purposes. Peyton Manning is a 'prolific passer' because in his 6 years only 1 of his season does he have less then 4000 yards passing. In 1/2 of the time of Aikman, Manning has already accumalted 75% of Aikman career passing, Manning has also averaged 260 yards per game.

Troy Aikman's stats

Roger Stabach (minus seasons where he played in 4, 6, and 8 games), averaged 191 yards per game during his career, and intresting enough, his 2 best years came when Tony Dorsett came to town

These guys are Hall of Famers and great QBs. I am not trying to take anything away from them, but they werent 'prolific' passer, great passer, but never had the stats that other QBs had. Favre averages 240 yards per game, he is a prolific passer, Aikman only averaged 199, is that prolific? To me it isnt...

Last edited by Fiddy; 07-18-2004 at 08:01 PM. Reason: i'm stupid
Old 07-18-2004   #14
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Before I make my response to you, I got a question. Which definiton of prolific are you talking about.

1 a prolific artist, writer etc produces many works of art, books etc

2 an animal or plant that is prolific produces many babies or many other plants

3 literary existing in large numbers: the prolific bird life
prolifically adverb

For example, whats this mean? "I know that the Cowboys have had great QBs not none your 'prolific' passer"
Old 07-18-2004   #15
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
For example, whats this mean? "I know that the Cowboys have had great QBs not none your 'prolific' passer"
My bad, I didnt even notice that. I meant: I know that the Cowboys have had great QBs but none were 'prolific' passers.

My defenition of prolific, in this context, is someone that can put up a lot of yards and doesnt make too many mistakes. For example, just an example, a prolific passer wouldnt have 4000 yards and 30 INTs, he would be closer to 4000 yards and 30 TDs....

Old 07-18-2004   #16
pv1999
Veteran

What does it matter.....The Cowboys stink.
If they were in a real division they would know this.
The phenomenon of "playoff amnesia" seems to occur frequnetly in the metroplex. At the end of the year you make the playoffs and forget who bad your team really is.
The 'Boys were a worse team than the Texans last year (Or the Texans were a better team than the Cowboys, however you want to see it).
Getting your can kicked around the league and dominating division games is a far cry from the back-to-back days. The offensive woes begin at QB but offensively WR is the only position that is solid, that is if Coach Tuna can get KeyShawn to stop crying and play.
Defense carried the team last year. Defense was a major part of ALL of the championships. Dallas has never had a Marino, Elway, Moon, Favre, Manning (all prolific passers). They have good managers that manage not to lose games with stupid mistakes (Meridith, Staubach, Aikman, White).
I can't recall anyone ever inserting the QB's name before the Cowboys like "...they will face Brett Farve (pp) and his Packers..." or "...Steve McNair (not a pp) and the Titans..." None of the Cowboy QB's have ever been a threat to take over a game by themselves.

Last edited by pv1999; 07-18-2004 at 11:08 PM. Reason: upset about cowgirls
pv1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004   #17
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I know that the Cowboys have had great QBs none were 'prolific' passers. For example: Troy Aikman had 7 season (out of 12) with less then 3000 passing, he averaged 199.65 yards passing per/game through out his career. For comparision purposes. Peyton Manning is a 'prolific passer' because in his 6 years only 1 of his season does he have less then 4000 yards passing. In 1/2 of the time of Aikman, Manning has already accumalted 75% of Aikman career passing, Manning has also averaged 260 yards per game.

Troy Aikman's stats

Roger Stabach (minus seasons where he played in 4, 6, and 8 games), averaged 191 yards per game during his career, and intresting enough, his 2 best years came when Tony Dorsett came to town

These guys are Hall of Famers and great QBs. I am not trying to take anything away from them, but they werent 'prolific' passer, great passer, but never had the stats that other QBs had. Favre averages 240 yards per game, he is a prolific passer, Aikman only averaged 199, is that prolific? To me it isnt...
Troy was as prolific as he needed to be to help us dominate the league for 4 consecutive years in the 90's. You can't do more than you are asked to and you can't always control the situation, i.e. owner, coaches, supporting players, around you. Just ask Marino, Elway or Manning.

It all comes down to the offensive system you are in. anyone who doesn't think Troy would have put up unbelievable numbers in an offense like the Rams or Vikings have is just high. Troy had all the tools, but he was also a great TEAM player who played his possition EXACTLY as he was called upon.
Old 07-19-2004   #18
SESupergenius

Throwing more INT's than TD's is not prolific. Most Good QB's have half as many INT's as TD's to be considered 'prolific' i would also throw in Throwing percentage too as I consider a player having over 60% completion percentage vital in being a called a great QB. Quincy has a QB rating of 71, thats 2 points "better" than David Carr, Carr was not prolific, either was Quincy. Thus the additions of Henson and Tertiverticle.

Last edited by SESupergenius; 07-19-2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2004   #19
pv1999
Veteran

Quote:
Troy was as prolific as he needed to be to help us dominate the league for 4 consecutive years in the 90's. You can't do more than you are asked to and you can't always control the situation, i.e. owner, coaches, supporting players, around you. Just ask Marino, Elway or Manning.
Mr. Damn Marino went to the SuperBowl his first year and his surrounding cast were recievers who needed someone to get them the ball. Never had what you would call a solid run game. Name more than 9 players who ever caught a TD from him and you are good. Prolific Passer.

Number 7 was always a threat on the field even though he only went to the SuperBowl after the arrival of a decent running game. Name 5 solid members of the supporting cast and you are ready for the bonus round. Prolific Passer.

The 2000 version of the Manning passing unit struggled with mediocracy among his teammates until the arrival of James and Harrison. But still managed Prolific numbers. Can you name any of the recievers from his rookie campaign? I know I can't.

Troy Aikman led his team through the worst season in franchise history before Smith came along. Not Elway, Not Marino, Not Peyton....Aikman.

Prolific passers send scrub recievers to the Hall-of-Fame. Who has Aikman sent? Who was Jerry Rice until he met a prolific passer, what has he done since? Sterling Sharpe? Shannon Sharpe? Mark Duper?

Cowboy QBs are excellent managers and superb field generals but prolific?
Old 07-19-2004   #20
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Throwing more INT's than TD's is not prolific. Most Good QB's have half as many INT's as TD's to be considered 'prolific' i would also throw in Throwing percentage too as I consider a player having over 60% completion percentage vital in being a called a great QB. Quincy has a QB rating of 71, thats 2 points "better" than David Carr, Carr was not prolific, either was Quincy. Thus the additions of Henson and Tertiverticle.
We're not talking about Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv1999
Mr. Damn Marino went to the SuperBowl his first year and his surrounding cast were recievers who needed someone to get them the ball. Never had what you would call a solid run game. Name more than 9 players who ever caught a TD from him and you are good. Prolific Passer.

Number 7 was always a threat on the field even though he only went to the SuperBowl after the arrival of a decent running game. Name 5 solid members of the supporting cast and you are ready for the bonus round. Prolific Passer.

The 2000 version of the Manning passing unit struggled with mediocracy among his teammates until the arrival of James and Harrison. But still managed Prolific numbers. Can you name any of the recievers from his rookie campaign? I know I can't.

Troy Aikman led his team through the worst season in franchise history before Smith came along. Not Elway, Not Marino, Not Peyton....Aikman.

Prolific passers send scrub recievers to the Hall-of-Fame. Who has Aikman sent? Who was Jerry Rice until he met a prolific passer, what has he done since? Sterling Sharpe? Shannon Sharpe? Mark Duper?

Cowboy QBs are excellent managers and superb field generals but prolific?
Well I see your points and now I agree with them. But the point I want to get across now is if Aikman staubach, or White were placed on a team without an excellent running backs, they would be prolific.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read