Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-26-2005   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default IF the Texans have the #1 pick in 2006

This is just an "IF" thread and looking WAY ahead.

Let's say the Texans continue to play the way they are now and end up with the 1st pick of the 2006 draft.

Do the Texans give up on Carr and go with Matt Leinart? In some people's opinion, Leinart is the best college QB ever. Most feel he is going to be a lock in the NFL, of course there is no such thing as a "lock".

After watching a few USC games, I am sold on him as a great college QB and he does look like he would fit into an NFL offense and possibly be a superstar at the NFL level.

Leinart could be the best player coming out of the draft.

OR .. do the Texans learn from their past mistakes, pass up Leinart and start building in the trenches and draft according to need, not taking the best player available if that player is Leinart?

What would you do if you were GM?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #2
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

I say trade down and pick up an extra first rounder. Address the offensive line and get a #2 WR.
Old 09-26-2005   #3
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
I say trade down and pick up an extra first rounder. Address the offensive line and get a #2 WR.
I agree. I still dont think we can determine if Carr is a bust or not untill we give him time to throw the ball. The Texans need to adress the O-line first, then go to other needs. I'm still wondering if we have the #2 reciever because Carr most of the time usually has time to look only to one wr, if we give him the time, the others recievers may emerge.
Old 09-26-2005   #4
metalmike
Veteran

Bring UT's o-line over. by the way Vince Young, Reggie Bush, Matt Leinhart all better than Reggie McNeil.
metalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I say pick D'Brickinshaw Ferguson. That guy is a stud at LT and exactly what we need. He will immediately step in and make an impact.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #6
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmike
Bring UT's o-line over. by the way Vince Young, Reggie Bush, Matt Leinhart all better than Reggie McNeil.
And that came from where?
Old 09-26-2005   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Leinart is a very good College QB but he does have some flaws ..... And he has ONE BAD WHEEL .... I tend to think he is a product of the players around him .... he may not be the best player on his team ...

If the Texans have the #1 pick they DONT have the LUXURY of picking a QB .... They have far too many holes in the roster and would be better served by trading down to #2-#3 . Carr is more than a servicable QB and just needs another play maker and a bit more time to go thru his progressions .

They need help on the O-line , a #2 WR an IMPACT player on the defensive Front , a TE that can both block and catch and maybe a Running Back who can pick up the blitz .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2005   #8
yaboycm
Veteran

P-lease

Why are we even asking?

Old 09-26-2005   #9
Fldvldog
Veteran

Texans cannot waste another offseason, without addressing the O-Line. See what this offseason has done for the texans? When the texans have the #1 pick, take Ferguson. He is not the slow lineman that only drives opponents. He is athletic and has excellent footwork...
Fldvldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #10
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fldvldog
Texans cannot waste another offseason, without addressing the O-Line. See what this offseason has done for the texans? When the texans have the #1 pick, take Ferguson. He is not the slow lineman that only drives opponents. He is athletic and has excellent footwork...
I agree. If we get the #1 pick we will trade down to someone that is dying to take Leinart and take Ferguson and also get another 1st and probally another 2nd pick.
Old 09-26-2005   #11
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with half of what you say. I say we trade down, pick up our cornerstone LT, and then pick up a stud LB like AJ Hawk with our second first rounder. Hawk is a HAWK for the ball!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #12
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmike
Bring UT's o-line over.
Honestly, That is not a bad idea. If we coul draft the entire line, they would play cohesivly and know each other. While a great thought, I am not sure 1) we would ever be able to do that and 2) if all of the lineman are pro level

Actually if we, traded back and picked up an extra first, we could get Scott. Are there any other UT lineman worth a First rounder? If not, maybe we could then trade our 2nd first for 2 seconds plus another third. Then we would have 3 2nds and 3 thirds. We could probbaly pick up the rest of the UT line that way!

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 09-26-2005   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If it comes down to us getting the #1 overall next year, definitely lets move
back and maximize the number of picks. Some years the #1 overall has more downside than upside, like this year. But the USC QB is thought to be really special by quite a few people and we could get a lot trading down and still
get a top 10 pick. In the top 10 there will be several very good LTs in a draft strong at that position plus we'd also get several more first day picks.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #14
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
I agree with half of what you say. I say we trade down, pick up our cornerstone LT, and then pick up a stud LB like AJ Hawk with our second first rounder. Hawk is a HAWK for the ball!
Sounds like a good dream.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #15
awtysst
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
Sounds like a good dream.
Man can dream, right?!

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 09-26-2005   #16
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Something tells me that the NY Jets will be willing to do anything to get that number 1 pick so that they can take Leinart. Pennington is out the rest of the year and I figure that the Jets will be willing to get their hands on a QB without glass bones. IF we get the number 1 we might be able to trade it to them for their first, second and maybe a second day pick. That would be helpful.
TigerV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #17
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
Man can dream, right?!
I havent stopped dreaming since you said that. I would have of happiness if that realy happened.
Old 09-26-2005   #18
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

I'll just quote myself since people STILL don't get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
People honestly need to wake up with the Leinart to Houston ****. The LAST thing this team needs is a QB in a ****ing knee brace. Did you see him yesterday against Oregon? More than once, his knee just "gave out" when pushing off his right side. He would literally, scramble in the pocket, plant his foot, push off then fall. Yea, he's our savior. Come on, wake up.

Quote:
I think everything is there with his throwing mechanics. Pretty big arm and very accurate. He doesn't always make the right decisisions. Numerous times, he's thrown into double coverage and narrowly avoided picks because he relies so much on his recievers talent. Realistically, he was just like Carr coming out. Relying on a big arm to get his speedy(Berrian in Carr's case) and talented(Jarret/Smith/Bush/5th WR who could start on any other program in Leinart's case) down the field to make catches. I would give Carr the edge in fact coming out, on the simple fact he has two knees and didn't have USC calibre talent in his career.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #19
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
I'll just quote myself since people STILL don't get it...
Im so sick of hearing about Leinart Lionhart Leinart Leinart Lionhart. Its so annoying. He would do just as bad if not worse on our team.
Old 09-26-2005   #20
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I suspect he would do a LOT worse as he has a bad wheel and isn't very elusive anyway. Some guys have man crushes on one player or another and just pimp the snott out of him all the time.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read