Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2005   #21
DDurfBeau
Rookie

I posted a couple of weeks ago and said capers has to have 800 ball or he's down the road. I do know this to be a fact! He has been told this! I personally can't wait for his departure.
DDurfBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005   #22
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDurfBeau
I posted a couple of weeks ago and said capers has to have 800 ball or he's down the road. I do know this to be a fact! He has been told this! I personally can't wait for his departure.
I hope you're right. I for one am hoping for a sub .500 season so Capers (and Fangio) get the boot. Capers has never been a good head coach ever. He is worse now than he was with Carolina. I still don't understand why McNair hired him.
If we were to praise a coach for the right way to build an expansion team it should be Tom Coughlin formerly of the Jags. Take a look at his first 5 seasons with the Jags before they got into salary cap hell which by the way the Texans helped them out of. The Jags were in the playoffs their 2nd year and 14-2 their 5th year. 4 straight years of playoffs. I am not a Coughlin fan either but his expansion record speaks for itself.

| Reg. Season | Playoffs |
+----------+--------------+----------+
| Year TM | W L T | W L |
+----------+--------------+----------+
| 1995 jax | 4 12 0 | 0 0 |
| 1996 jax | 9 7 0 | 2 1 |
| 1997 jax | 11 5 0 | 0 1 |
| 1998 jax | 11 5 0 | 1 1 |
| 1999 jax | 14 2 0 | 1 1 |
| 2000 jax | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |
| 2001 jax | 6 10 0 | 0 0 |
| 2002 jax | 6 10 0 | 0 0 |

Jacksonville Jaguars - Team History

Jacksonville Jaguars, professional football team and one of six teams in the Central Division of the American Football Conference (AFC) of the National Football League (NFL). Under the league’s realignment plan, which will take affect in 2002, the Jaguars will play in the South Division of the AFC. The Jaguars play at ALLTEL Stadium in Jacksonville, Florida, and wear uniforms of teal, black, and gold.

Jacksonville joined the NFL as an expansion team in 1995. During the Jaguars’ first year, the team fielded the AFC’s worst defense, losing nine games by more than 24 points. Offensively, however, they were successful. Mark Brunell—who had previously played in only two NFL games—posted the highest rating of any expansion-team quarterback in league history. He also led all NFL quarterbacks that year in rushing, becoming the first AFC quarterback to run for more than 400 yards in a season since Mike Pagel of the Baltimore Colts (now Indianapolis Colts) in 1983. Overall, Jacksonville’s offensive performance ranked third all-time among first-year franchises.

In 1996 the Jaguars won nine games and earned a wild-card berth to the playoffs. Wide receivers Keenan McCardell and Jimmy Smith each compiled 1,000 or more yards receiving. Brunell passed for more than 4,300 yards and was Jacksonville’s third-leading rusher, averaging five yards per carry and scoring three touchdowns. In the playoffs the Jaguars advanced to the AFC title game, where they lost to the New England Patriots.

Jacksonville advanced to the playoffs again in 1997 but lost in the first round to the Denver Broncos. In 1998 Brunell and rookie running back Fred Taylor led the team to a 11-5 win-loss record and the Central Division championship. They defeated the New England Patriots in the first round of the playoffs before being bested by the New York Jets. In 1999 Jacksonville repeated as Central Division champions but lost to the Tennessee Titans in the AFC Championship Game.

The Jaguars have never played in the Super Bowl.

Jags link
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005   #23
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude, the Jags and Panthers had completely different expansion deals than the Browns and Texans. It's apples and oranges right now to compare the situations that the first two teams got to what the Browns and Texans had to deal with.

Funny you should mention Capers, though. He did get Carolina to the NFC Championship game in their second season in existence...

"During the 1996 season the Panthers won their division and qualified for the playoffs. It was only their second year of existence, and this was the earliest an NFL expansion team had ever encountered such success.

In 1996 the Panthers stunned the NFL by winning 12 games and capturing the NFC Western Division title. Quarterback Kerry Collins and running back Anthony Johnson anchored the offense. Carolina put together the second-best defense in the NFC, featuring three Pro Bowl linebackers: Kevin Greene, Lamar Lathon, and Sam Mills. Michael Bates was the league’s top kickoff returner, averaging 30.2 yards per return. Placekicker John Kasay led the league in scoring, converting on a league-record 37 field goals. Capers was named coach of the year. After capturing the division title, Carolina defeated the Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs before losing the NFC Championship Game to the eventual Super Bowl champions, the Green Bay Packers."

Old 09-27-2005   #24
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Who doesn't know about Capers only winning season in Carolina and I wasn't comparing Carolina or Jacksonville to the Texans. I was pointing out that Capers was always spoken of as knowing how to build an expansion team and it was a major reason McNair hired him. Coughlin blew Capers away on the expansion building but you really never hear about it. Capers tried to come in here and kind of do what Coughlin did with the Jags but it hasn't worked. IMHO Capers doesn't know how to coach young inexperienced players and get the most out of them. With Carolina he had a lot of veterans that knew how to play already. I know free agency was much better back then but the Texans have had opportunities to go after some big name free agents but chose to mainly go after no names that they thought could fill the bill.

Last edited by bckey; 09-27-2005 at 03:26 PM.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read