Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-23-2005   #1
gatorfan12

Default Jabar Gaffney

I'm not a Texans fan, but a Florida Gators fan and I was just wondering if you guys could tell me if Gaffney has ever really been given a shot to be the player he was at UF. Personally I think he's a helluva talent with no QB to get him the ball.
Old 09-23-2005   #2
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfan12
I'm not a Texans fan, but a Florida Gators fan and I was just wondering if you guys could tell me if Gaffney has ever really been given a shot to be the player he was at UF. Personally I think he's a helluva talent with no QB to get him the ball.
-he lacks the elite speed to dominate in the NFL like he did in college.
-he is not in the fun n' gun anymore to get a ton of passes thrown to him
-when he does have passes thrown his way, he needs to turn around and catch them.
-i wish javon walker had fallen to us.....
AlexVanderpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

He is dependable just not a game breaker.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
He is dependable just not a game breaker.

So dependable that in the last game Vs. the Steelers Carr hit him in the back with the ball .... He never bothered to look back for the ball

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #5
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Gaff proves that a WR needs to be thrown the ball to make plays, minus a couple of 'gaffs' (fumbling away a TD vs. the Jags and the not looking for the ball against the Bills) he is very sure-handed and makes plays. He just doesnt see the ball.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
So dependable that in the last game Vs. the Steelers Carr hit him in the back with the ball .... He never bothered to look back for the ball
Or as dependable of a fan knowing that play was against Buffalo and not Pittsburgh!!

No difference really.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #7
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I think Gaffny should have been placed on the injured list this year and wasn't. He couldn't really participate in TC and I think he's way behind the curve on knowing the offense. He's always been on the edge, but this year more than most. I think he's playing because Mathis has been injured at this point more than Gaffny. Just one man's opinion.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2005   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

im looking foward to mathis playing.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #9
FirstDownMaker
Rookie

Quote:
Know what's funny? When the Texan's selected Gaffney SOME of us (me) thought it was a big mistake especially with U. of Miami RB Clinton Portis still on the board. At the time the Texan's GM said that a young QB's (David Carr) best friend could be a top WR like Gaffney. I'm no GM but I laughed at his comment because I always thought a young QB's best friend would be a 1000+ yard runner like Portis who could take the heat off of him. Of course I was jumped on with both feet by one of the MOD's who explained that I knew nothing and that the GM was all seeing & knowing. The funny part is I STILL believe I was right!
FirstDownMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #10
Tayton
Veteran

I watch Gaffney alot at the games and think that Armstrong is a better position receiver and better at getting open.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #11
lucky13

hi 2nd round pick- thanks, charlie.
Old 09-23-2005   #12
Bongo59
Veteran

Quote:
............the best Gator WR still remains Chris Collinsworth............Nobody from Florida has done squat since the 80's............Ike Hilliard being just adequate.........Maybe Darrell Jackson....he is not too bad....................Gator WR's generally equal busts............
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #13
stephen1
Veteran

Dom needs to start Gaff instead of Sadford. Gaff has an ability to make a catch anywhere on the field while Sadford can only go deep. Gaff is a solid route runner who we should use A LOT more often.
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1
Dom needs to start Gaff instead of Sadford. Gaff has an ability to make a catch anywhere on the field while Sadford can only go deep. Gaff is a solid route runner who we should use A LOT more often.

I agree with you but I don't think that's exactly true. First game of 2003 Bradford caught a short pass on a slant and took it to the endzone. His speed is formidable. Gaffney appears to me to bring nothing that Armstrong can't match. I have nothing against him but just like Bradford he is what he is. Bradford's fast and Gaffney's not.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read