Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2005   #1
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lopez: Pendry running a tight ship

It may take a couple games for Pendry's approach to take root, but I am looking forward to seeing how Carr develops over the rest of the season.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3364625
Quote:
Pendry's direct, demanding approach is what Carr says he has needed perhaps subtly placing accountability for the Texans' offensive struggles on fired offensive coordinator Chris Palmer.

"I realized there were things I was doing that I didn't even know I was doing," Carr said. "There are things Joe has pointed out, just bad habits. It's little stuff, but it makes a big difference in the game."

The switch to Pendry as offensive coordinator is something that will go a long way in determining whether the Texans' biggest problem was Palmer or Carr.
At Texans practices, Pendry's is the cackling voice preaching the playbook according to Joe. His is the voice hollering at Carr during practice, demanding better timing on routes and releases.

It is Pendry who stands over Carr's shoulder, his glasses on the bridge of his nose studying Carr's every movement. It is Pendry encouraging Carr, praising him.

And at one point Wednesday, it was Pendry yanking Carr out of the lineup in favor of backup Tony Banks when Carr failed to execute a play up to snuff.

"No, no, no, no!" Pendry told Carr when a play failed. "It's one, two, three, four ... ball. Ball! Ball! Ball! Throw it."

One play later, Carr was back under center.

"It's been a tough two days, but it's been good," Carr said. "There are definitely some things that you don't realize you're doing. When somebody calls you on it ... you actually like for that to happen.

"He'll just take you out on a play because he wants to talk to you about something. He wants to get things done right now."
Follow the link for the full article.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Um I'm going to reserve my opinion on this guy. I have 2 reservations about him.

1) he was the O line coach and they stink.

2) he used some lame line at his press conference the other day about being a soldier. It sounded really silly at the time. Goofy.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well well well. We are starting to see why the developement has taken so long. I don't know if the habits will be fixed over night but maybe we can see Carr pick it up over the season and give us something to hope for.

I guess Palmer is just good at technique and things like that but not good overall at evaluating the little things to make the QB successful in an offense. I think if we go back and look we will see that all the QBs Palmer worked with are accurate but didn't become winners until after he left the team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
Um I'm going to reserve my opinion on this guy. I have 2 reservations about him.

2) he used some lame line at his press conference the other day about being a soldier. It sounded really silly at the time. Goofy.
What makes you think the o-line stinks? Because people on the board say it? Because people on ESPN, and the radio say it?

The line overall has played well this year. So please stop acting like they havent.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #5
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Uh. Look if you think the O line is good or adequate fine. I think they stink. And I have eyes and don't need to base a judgement on what ESPN says or what anybody on this board says.
Old 09-23-2005   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Uh. Look if you think the O line is good or adequate fine. I think they stink. And I have eyes and don't need to base a judgement on what ESPN says or what anybody on this board says.
Alright. fair enough.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone ever thought that he could possibly be a better OC than an Oline coach. We all know even though Palmer sucks, he is a better QB coach than OC.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2005   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

It doesn't surprise me that they promoted from within...I figure they are thinking they have begun their season so they'd want somebody that was familiar with them already rather than a coach that knew nothing about the Texans or their system. So that makes sense.

But he did sound silly talking about being a soldier.

Hey I hope he works out and is great. But I'll take a wait and see approach about him.
Old 09-23-2005   #9
SESupergenius

Quote:
Carr might be the No. 1 man and the most talented quarterback on the roster by far.
That right there says it all. It's a nice fluff piece to make Pendry out to be all that, but really there have been as many mental breakdowns on the offensive line as there has been on Carr. Where's the article that he was yelling at them?
Old 09-23-2005   #10
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
What makes you think the o-line stinks? Because people on the board say it? Because people on ESPN, and the radio say it?

The line overall has played well this year. So please stop acting like they havent.
I gotta agree somewhat here. I wouldn't call the line play good... It could be MUCH MUCH better... but I think the grand majority of Carr's mistakes are his own fault.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #11
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
That right there says it all. It's a nice fluff piece to make Pendry out to be all that, but really there have been as many mental breakdowns on the offensive line as there has been on Carr. Where's the article that he was yelling at them?
Obviously its a fluff piece. Heck, the fact it is written by John Lopez should let you know the article may be of dubious quality. But I didn't post the article for what Lopez has to say. I wanted the board to notice Carr's quotes. David Carr (among other star players on offense) hasn't been held accountable for his performance and hasn't been coached up on simple fundamental things -- things Carr has been doing incorrectly time and again. When I read Carr's quotes I got a sense of what Palmer wasn't doing and a little hope that Pendry's approach to the offense will make a difference. Of course I also wondered why the hell Capers just didn't fire Palmer early in the offseason. Given Pendry's history with Capers, it was obvious from the moment Pendry was hired that he was going to be taking Palmer's job.

Notice that Lopez doesn't acquit anyone else on the team. He simply writes a fluff piece about Carr and Pendry. Yes, he should have told us how Pendry is affecting the rest of the offense, especially the O-line. But he doesn't. Other than a passing mention that Palmer wasn't cracking the whip on AJ, this is the best we get:
Quote:
"Without a doubt, it doesn't matter who you are, you're going to get coached up and coached right," Texans tackle Todd Wade said. "He runs a tight ship; that's for sure. His way is the way it goes. It's not that Joe is a yeller and a screamer, but he expects things to be done right. It's all about accountability and trust. Everybody has to do their job, and that's the way it's going to be."
Sounds to me as if Pendry is cracking the whip on everyone, not just Carr. Let's not let Lopez's poor writing and the Car-vs-the O-line debate prevent us from gleaning any meaning from what the players themselves have said.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251670 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Alright. fair enough.

You know, the truth is probably somewhere between what you and WWJD are saying. I think the line gets a bad rap for things that the QB does as well as missed blocks by the RB's and TE's at times. I also think they have a lot of work to do before they reach a level that's acceptable. I wouldn't put a ton of faith in how the team reports the line "graded out". They're the ones under pressure to show improvement on the line.

The bottom line is the offense has been bad. There's no point in arguing too much over whether it's the line, or the skill position players, or really even the coaches. It's the "Texans" and they're bad. They need to fix it.
Old 09-23-2005   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

And the winner is....both have been equally as bad! The times the line blocks people, DC scrambles right into them (or out of bounds). When they don't block, well you get the picture....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #14
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I was wondering, was Plamer afraid to throw to AJ or is he really that well covered?
Old 09-23-2005   #15
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:

no i refuse to believe that our offensive line can possibly be that bad. if our line is really that bad, then y did we pay big bucks for todd wade? why have pitts and mckinney stuck around for the full 4 years?? victor riley has done an admirable job. i have been watching carr closely this season, and everyone is so quick to blame the offensive line for 2 reasons...a) we have the all time sacks given up record...and b) everyone believes the media when they say that david carr is gonna be the next john elway or such. well there is definitely something wrong with carr, and a tough minded coach can only help david carr. as i have been watching in the first 2 games, carr has been overlooking recievers 30 yards down the field wide open, and this is because he is resorting to scrambling himself out of bounds for sacks b4 the defense even gets closer to him. yes there have been plays where the o-line was and should be the scapegoat for criticism, like whenever polamalu constantly was up in carr's grill....but other than that, i havent noticed hardly any breakdowns in the protection. carr is taking much too much time in the pocket and he is not handling the blitz well. carr needs to use his safety valves like davis and murphy to keep defenses from blitzing every down. until carr utilizes his closest targets effectively, then defenses will have to stop blitzing....and then u can start looking deep to ur speedsters on the outsides. i am happy with the move and im hoping that this offense will get on track and help this defense out.

about babin and pukehanon, i think that benching them is the right thing to do. this defense needs to be reminded that no job is safe, and we do have some qualified replacements...like faggins and orr. i remember in 2003 when s. orr got a shot to play late in the season and he came up big for us in the pass rushing dept. i would like to see how he does as a starter.
Old 09-23-2005   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I never liked Palmer. Anyone with colombia blue on their resume should stay far away from Houston football. It's just bad karma, especially if they are at all connected to the choke team. Call me superstitious, but that team will forever leave a bad stain on my soul for that day. Good riddance!

Anyway, I'm taking the high road right now and being optimistic...even against my nature. We'll see what Pendry has to offer and how much he can change the losing attitude of the 0-2 Texans. He's already approaching the players with a different style - hands on, aggressive old school preaching, on the sideline playcalling - and I think he might have more respect for/from the team than Palmer could muster.

Only time will tell, but I like the early hints we've seen so far.
Old 09-23-2005   #17
stephen1
Veteran

Im glad to see Pendry come in. I felt the Texans abandoned the run too early in Buffalo. Palmer was a gunslinger type OC. Pendry will bring a running attack which will ultimately finally allow us to play action, get some time, and get the ball to dre. Palmer didnt do enough to get Dre open as he said in the off season.
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #18
CajunTexan
Veteran

[quote=TexanFanInCC] i am happy with the move and im hoping that this offense will get on track and help this defense out.

I don't like to pick a line out of someones post and pick it apart, but I hope we all can agree that this defense is almost as bad as our offense. The moves in the off season designed to make the unit younger and more athletic have not paid any dividends. Our linebackers are much less effective than last year and although Aaron really made Casserly look like a genious on Monday night, the secondary has not played as well either.
CajunTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #19
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

well a good offense would make the statistics look a tad better...but i agree tho that our run defense needs to step up after two great running teams thrashed our slow d-line....and walker went down again...whats new??? everyone needs to give up on him right now. it seems as if every game he has played in since the start of preseason, the trainers have had to scoop him off the field for some reason. gary hasnt been healthy in 3 years....the only season he was healthy 100% was 2002, and of course its not like what he contributed was noticed because we were 4-12 that season. i think the time is now to give the job to travis johnson.
Old 09-23-2005   #20
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

With G-Funk we are paying a TON for a guy that can't stay on the field. Hopefully TJ can step in and make a difference. Not sure how much Gary will cost us cap wise to cut him at the end of the season, but I suspect it is a large number.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read