Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2005   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Casserly's track record should be trusted right now

Click here Casserly announced as Texans GM (CNNSI article) to be transported to the actual article.

Below is a copy-and-paste of that article. He knows what he's doing.

HOUSTON (AP) -- Charley Casserly, who won three Super Bowl rings during 22 years with the Washington Redskins, was named executive vice president and general manager of Houston's NFL expansion team Wednesday.

"This is not an on-the-job training program. We want people with a track record and success at this level," franchise owner Bob McNair said. "We did not interview a lot of people but we looked a lot.

"The overwhelming response was that Charley demands respect in the NFL and that is what we were seeking," McNair said.

McNair declined to give terms of Casserly's contract, other than to say it was a multi-year deal.

"We are long-term thinkers and we know it is going to take some time for this organization to be successful," McNair said. "Charley will have ample time to put this organization together."

Casserly, whom Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder forced out before this season began, started with the team as an unpaid intern in 1977 and had been general manager in Washington since 1989.

Snyder said he decided to restructure the team's front office after becoming convinced that Casserly and coach Norv Turner could not work together. Casserly received blame for a series of disappointing first-round draft choices, including Bobby Wilson, Tom Carter, Heath Shuler and Andre Johnson.

"I knew every day I went to work, I was fired," Casserly said at a news conference Wednesday. "When Dan Snyder officially took over the team it was a matter if I left then or in six months.

"I wanted to go then so I could look for another job, I was prepared to do that," he said, adding he has no hard feelings for Snyder. "Now, this is the best thing that has happened to me because now I am here."

The Redskins made the playoffs this year led by other players Casserly acquired, including quarterback Brad Johnson, running back Stephen Davis and receiver Michael Westbrook. The Redskins lost 14-13 to Tampa Bay last Saturday.

He also drafted Georgia cornerback Champ Bailey and left Washington with three No. 1 picks in the April draft.

Casserly was considered a candidate for general manager jobs with the New Orleans Saints and New York Jets.

"We as a family came to the conclusion that Houston was the best fit for us," Casserly said. "The toughest calls I had to make were to those other teams to tell them I was not interested."
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Is the Andre Johnson mentioned in this clip our same Andre Johnson?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i wont be one to jump on the fire casserly bandwagon ... yet. however, this offseason was pathetic. the personnel moves were atrocious across the board. letting glenn & sharper walk, throwing away draft picks on bust corner, failing to upgrade the O-line, using the first pick on a backup as opposed to the playmaker that by miracle alone fell in our lap, and the decisions after preseason just left everyone scratching their heads. it's hard to believe that a team could make so many bad moves in 5 seasons, let alone all at once.

BUT, i cant fault him for the pitiful state we're in right now. i firmly believe that if cowher or belichick's staffs had 2+ years with most of our draftees we'd have a very respectable squad and a playoff contender. my blame goes squarely on the coaches. look at many of the young players ... babin, peek, pitts, faggins, orr, wand, simmons, carr, etc. these guys have talent. they play hard and play as well as they can with what they're given, and along with vets like seth payne, todd wade, aaron glenn, jamie sharper, marcus coleman ... the team shouldnt have this much difficulty coming together. the transition from highschool to college, & college to pros is hard enough ... these guys are appearing to have to do it by themselves.
Old 09-22-2005   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 293247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Casserly's track record should be trusted right now

yeah, but he doesn't know half as much as some of the members of this board.

I swear we have at least 8-10 bonafide NFL GMs right here...not sure why they aren't working for an actual team, though...

CC is one of the most respected GMs in the NFL. I swear the short-term attitude of this fairweather town just kills the team spirit in me. And after all those times that I've defended Houston sports fans as educated and dedicated.
Old 09-22-2005   #5
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree, Casserly's track record speaks for itself. Just look at his draft history while he was in Washington.

Let's hope David Carr and Andre Johnson don't turn out to be another Heath Shuler and Desmond Howard.

1. LaVar Arrington, LB, Penn St.
1. Chris Samuels, T, Alabama
3. Lloyd Harrison, CB, N.C. State
4. Michael Moore, G, Troy St.
5. Quincy Sanders, S, UNLV
6. Todd Husak, QB, Stanford
7. Del Cowsette, DT, Maryland
7. Ethan Howell, WR, Oklahoma St.

1. Champ Bailey, CB, Georgia
2. Jon Jansen, T, Michigan
4. Nate Stimson, LB, Georgia Tech
5. Derek Smith, OL, Virginia Tech
6. Jeff Hall, K, Tennessee
7. Tim Alexander, WR, Oregon St.

2. Stephen Alexander, TE, Oklahoma
3. Skip Hicks, RB, UCLA
4. Shawn Barber, LB, Richmond
5. Mark Fischer, C, Purdue
6. Pat Palmer, WR, Northwestern St.
7. David Terrell, CB, UTEP
7. Antwaune Ponds, LB, Syracuse

1. Kenard Lang, DE, Miami
2. Greg Jones, LB, Colorado
3. Derek Smith, LB, Arizona St.
4. Albert Connell, WR, Texas A&M
5. Jamel Williams, S, Nebraska
5. Keith Thibodeaux, CB, N.W. Louisiana
5. Twan Russell, LB, Miami
5. Brad Badger, G, Stanford

1. Andre Johnson, T, Penn State
4. Stephen Davis, RB, Auburn
5. Leomont Evans, S, Clemson
6. Kelvin Kinney, DE, Virginia St.
7. Jeremy Asher, LB, Oregon
7. Deandre Maxwell, WR, San Diego St.

1. Michael Westbrook, WR, Colorado
2. Cory Raymer, C, Wisconson
3. Daryl Pounds, CB, Nicholls St.
4. Larry Jones, RB, Miami
5. Jamie Asher, TE, Louisville
5. Rich Owens, DE, Lehigh
6. Brian Thure, T, California
7. Scott Turner, CB, Illinois

1. Heath Shuler, QB, Tennessee
2. Tre Johnson, T, Temple
3. Tydus Winans, WR, Fresno St.
3. Joe Patton, T, Alabama A&M
4. Kurt Haws, TE, Utah
6. Dexter Nottage, DE, Florida A&M
7. Gus Frerotte, QB, Tulsa

1. Tom Carter, CB, Notre Dame
2. Reggie Brooks, RB, Notre Dame
3. Rick Hamilton, LB, Central Florida
3. Ed Bunn, P, UTEP
4. Sterling Palmer, DE, Florida St.
5. Greg Huntington, C, Penn St.
6. Darryl Morrison, CB, Arizona
6. Frank Wycheck, TE, Maryland
8. Lamont Hollinquest, LB, USC

1. Desmond Howard, WR, Michigan
2. Shane Collins, DE, Arizona St.
3. Paul Siever, G, Penn St.
4. Chris Hakel, QB, William & Mary
6. Ray Rowe, TE, San Diego St.
7. Calvin Holmes, DB, USC
8. Darryl Moore, G, UTEP
9. Boone Powell, LB, Texas
10. Tony Barker, LB, Rice
11. Terry Smith, WR, Penn St.
12. Matt Elliott, C, Michigan

1. Bobby Wilson, DT, Michigan St.
3. Ricky Ervins, RB, USC
6. Dennis Ransom, TE, Texas A&M
7. Keith Cash, WR, Texas
8. Jimmy Spencer, DB, Florida
9. Charles Bell, DB, Baylor
10. Cris Shale, P, Bowling Green
11. David Gulledge, S, Jacksonville St.
12. Keenan McCardell, WR, UNLV

2. Andre Collins, LB, Penn St.
3. Moe Elewonibi, G, BYU
4. Cary Conklin, QB, Washington
5. Brian Mitchell, RB, S.W. Louisiana
6. Kent Walls, DT, Nebraska
9. Tim Moxley, G, Ohio St.
10. D’Juan Francisco, DB, North Dakota
10. Thomas Rayam, DT, Alabama
11. Jon Leverenz, LB, Minnesota
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
Casserly's track record speaks for itself. Just look at his draft history while he was in Washington.
valid point but he's not in Kansas (Washington) anymore
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
3. Ed Bunn, P, UTEP

Getting Frank Wycheck in the 6th round sounds pretty good. We could sure use a young Wycheck here right now....or a healthy Joppru.

Last edited by HJam72; 09-22-2005 at 02:52 PM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2005   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Casserly's track record should be trusted right now

yeah, but he doesn't know half as much as some of the members of this board.
everyone is entitled to their opinions, even you & me

Quote:
I swear we have at least 8-10 bonafide NFL GMs right here...not sure why they aren't working for an actual team
if you checked Casserly's bio he started out as a unpaid interm

Quote:
CC is one of the most respected GMs in the NFL. I swear the short-term attitude of this fairweather town just kills the team spirit in me. And after all those times that I've defended Houston sports fans as educated and dedicated.
fans are fans no matter where you live this predispoition to believe anything different is pure fantasy
Old 09-22-2005   #9
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
valid point but he's not in Kansas (Washington) anymore
Actually, I was being sarcastic.
Old 09-22-2005   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Actually, I was being sarcastic.
I know Hookem, your from UT

Its a sensitive subject to be sure but I for one feel that the Texans should be operated for & by Texans, this not a personel attack on Casserly he is an outstanding GM & highly respected but for Texans he always seemed like a fish out of water, I could be wrong (usually am) but he does not understand the Texans fanbase, the schools alums who have the money and spend the bucks for psl's and the like, so I really feel a change at some point will be needed. passing on Derrick Johnson makes me sick even if he "doesn't fit the 3-4" you make adjustments, you satisfy your paying customer.

I'm not one to complain without soultions, but I have to believe the next Texans organizational makeup will include more local flavor. the one truely great thing the Texans do have in their favor is our owner Mr. McNair, in McNair I trust not Casserly
Old 09-22-2005   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

1999: Champ Bailey. Champ Bailey. General Manager Charley Casserly did some wheeling and dealing to move from the 5th pick in the draft down to the 12th pick in the draft and then back up to the 7th pick in the draft, to come up with this brilliant diamond from the University of Georgia.

2000: Lavar Arrington. Acquired as part of Charley Casserly's 1999 daylight robbery of Mike Ditka (in the Ricky Williams deal), Arrington came out of Penn State as the second pick in the draft with a reputation as a hard-hitting maniac with the speed of a lightning bolt and the power of a runaway freight train.

link: Casserly selections

Just posting these two draft picks to at least make us realize that the guy is not some wacko who doesn't have the ability to see good value, as well as to make a few deals to get it done.
Old 09-22-2005   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 293247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
everyone is entitled to their opinions, even you & me
And I always defend the right to have that opinion.

But when people express their opinion that a highly respected NFL GM is a "king of grease" and "insufferable a-hole", I don't have to respect the opinion. It is uneducated pap, IMHO.

It is one thing to respect the right to an opinion, but an entirely different matter to respect the opinion itself. The first is a right, the second is earned.

(ps. I have no problem with agreeing to disagree...matter-of-fact, I always welcome educated opinions that are different than mine, as it serves to elevate. But personal swipes are not called for)
Old 09-22-2005   #13
cadahnic
All Pro

I dont argue with his past picks and for the most part his early picks and late picks have been solid. His middle round have always been a little sketchy because he likes to reach and wheel and deal. We will turn this season the right way once we get Carr attacking a defense and our defense on the blitz. What kind of 3-4 does not blitz often. Anyway keep gettin it done Cass, met him at the game sunday and he had alot of good things to say. Plus his lux. box is freakin awesome.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005   #14
Elite
Veteran

Quote:
I agree, Casserly's track record speaks for itself. Just look at his draft history while he was in Washington.

Let's hope David Carr and Andre Johnson don't turn out to be another Heath Shuler and Desmond Howard.

1. LaVar Arrington, LB, Penn St.
1. Chris Samuels, T, Alabama
3. Lloyd Harrison, CB, N.C. State
4. Michael Moore, G, Troy St.
5. Quincy Sanders, S, UNLV
6. Todd Husak, QB, Stanford
7. Del Cowsette, DT, Maryland
7. Ethan Howell, WR, Oklahoma St.

1. Champ Bailey, CB, Georgia
2. Jon Jansen, T, Michigan
4. Nate Stimson, LB, Georgia Tech
5. Derek Smith, OL, Virginia Tech
6. Jeff Hall, K, Tennessee
7. Tim Alexander, WR, Oregon St.

2. Stephen Alexander, TE, Oklahoma
3. Skip Hicks, RB, UCLA
4. Shawn Barber, LB, Richmond
5. Mark Fischer, C, Purdue
6. Pat Palmer, WR, Northwestern St.
7. David Terrell, CB, UTEP
7. Antwaune Ponds, LB, Syracuse

1. Kenard Lang, DE, Miami
2. Greg Jones, LB, Colorado
3. Derek Smith, LB, Arizona St.
4. Albert Connell, WR, Texas A&M
5. Jamel Williams, S, Nebraska
5. Keith Thibodeaux, CB, N.W. Louisiana
5. Twan Russell, LB, Miami
5. Brad Badger, G, Stanford

1. Andre Johnson, T, Penn State
4. Stephen Davis, RB, Auburn
5. Leomont Evans, S, Clemson
6. Kelvin Kinney, DE, Virginia St.
7. Jeremy Asher, LB, Oregon
7. Deandre Maxwell, WR, San Diego St.

1. Michael Westbrook, WR, Colorado
2. Cory Raymer, C, Wisconson
3. Daryl Pounds, CB, Nicholls St.
4. Larry Jones, RB, Miami
5. Jamie Asher, TE, Louisville
5. Rich Owens, DE, Lehigh
6. Brian Thure, T, California
7. Scott Turner, CB, Illinois

1. Heath Shuler, QB, Tennessee
2. Tre Johnson, T, Temple
3. Tydus Winans, WR, Fresno St.
3. Joe Patton, T, Alabama A&M
4. Kurt Haws, TE, Utah
6. Dexter Nottage, DE, Florida A&M
7. Gus Frerotte, QB, Tulsa

3. Ed Bunn, P, UTEP

1. Desmond Howard, WR, Michigan
2. Shane Collins, DE, Arizona St.
3. Paul Siever, G, Penn St.
4. Chris Hakel, QB, William & Mary
6. Ray Rowe, TE, San Diego St.
7. Calvin Holmes, DB, USC
8. Darryl Moore, G, UTEP
9. Boone Powell, LB, Texas
10. Tony Barker, LB, Rice
11. Terry Smith, WR, Penn St.
12. Matt Elliott, C, Michigan

1. Bobby Wilson, DT, Michigan St.
3. Ricky Ervins, RB, USC
6. Dennis Ransom, TE, Texas A&M
7. Keith Cash, WR, Texas
8. Jimmy Spencer, DB, Florida
9. Charles Bell, DB, Baylor
10. Cris Shale, P, Bowling Green
11. David Gulledge, S, Jacksonville St.
12. Keenan McCardell, WR, UNLV

2. Andre Collins, LB, Penn St.
3. Moe Elewonibi, G, BYU
4. Cary Conklin, QB, Washington
5. Brian Mitchell, RB, S.W. Louisiana
6. Kent Walls, DT, Nebraska
9. Tim Moxley, G, Ohio St.
10. D’Juan Francisco, DB, North Dakota
10. Thomas Rayam, DT, Alabama
11. Jon Leverenz, LB, Minnesota

I might be wrong but im pretty sure that Casserly did not draft the 2000 class not that its that great but yeah i think he got the Axe before he got a chance of ruining that draft.
Old 09-22-2005   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:

But when people express their opinion that a highly respected NFL GM is a "king of grease" and "insufferable a-hole", I don't have to respect the opinion. It is uneducated pap, IMHO
we don't need to point fingers we've all read those threads, none of those are on this thread. Vinny and the moderators do a great job censoring as needed, and I agree it does get sickening and dissapointing at times but people are people and say things out of pure emotion without thinking. for the most part this is the greatest forum to talk about all things Texans, not to mention Hookem's outstanding TexansTalk.com

one of the really great things is when fans of other teams access this site and expouse their opinions and usually a healthy dialouge insues, good bantering and everything special about being a fan of a NFL team. but I regress, the arguement seems to me not that if Casserly is a great GM but is he a good fit for this organization now
Old 09-22-2005   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

"...But when people express their opinion that a highly respected NFL GM is a "king of grease" and "insufferable a-hole", I don't have to respect the opinion. It is uneducated pap, IMHO." -- Double Barrel

---------------------------------------------

That's exactly why I posted this thread. It's one thing to say he's made some bad choices, but when someone makes a statement (as if it's FACT) that someone has NEVER done so and so.....or that someone will ALWAYS do so and so.....and it has to do with someone who's been in the GM game for a pretty long time, it goes to show that sometimes our emotions over recent draft picks and potentially "bust" draft picks can cause someone to overlook Casserly's overall track record. His overall record is not "awesome," but it IS solid to say the least. I think he's done a fairly good job, and the coaching is suspect right now.

I agree he's made some bad choices (Hollings, for starters). Nobody will make 100% star-quality picks, even when it seems like a sure-thing: Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Ki-Jana Carter, Ron Dayne, Desmond Howard, etc. I think it's rather odd how sometimes the sure-thing is not sure, and it's actually intriguing to see those big time "busts" occur....course, I'm sure it's not so fun when you're the one who's a "bust," or when you drafted the bust. But hey, that's why I watch it and not work at it.
Old 09-22-2005   #17
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
link: Casserly selections

Just posting these two draft picks to at least make us realize that the guy is not some wacko who doesn't have the ability to see good value, as well as to make a few deals to get it done.
gpshafer,

The link you posted is page about how horrible the Redskins under Casserly drafted in the first round. Now I am really depressed.

You posted 2 good players (ok only one IF Arrington wasn't drafted by Casserly), however look at the rest, very brutal. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Old 09-22-2005   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

I'm just not satisfied with breaking down what makes a great GM. Is it his track record or what has he done lately? What makes someone qualifed or better qualified? I'm still searching for someone with Texas ties (any suggestions?) but I saw this profile of Pete Carrol and it was just stunning the vast amount of experience he has & how he turned around programs (I'm one who think he got a raw deal in NE that the wheels were already set in motion and all Parcells did was bear the fruit-or was it really Bellichick? check this out-

YEAR-BY-YEAR WITH PETE CARROLL
YEAR TEAM POSITION RECORD (POST-SEASON) HEAD COACH
1974 Pacific Graduate assistant/wide receivers 6-5 Chester Caddas
1975 Pacific Graduate assistant/secondary 5-6-1 Chester Caddas
1976 Pacific Graduate assistant/secondary 2-9 Chester Caddas
1977 Arkansas Graduate assistant/secondary 11-1 (Orange) Lou Holtz
1978 Iowa State Secondary coach 8-4 (Hall of Fame) Earle Bruce
1979 Ohio State Secondary coach 11-1 (Rose) Earle Bruce
1980 North Carolina State Defensive coordinator/secondary coach 6-5 Monte Kiffin 1981 North Carolina State Defensive coordinator/secondary coach 4-7 Monte Kiffin
1982 North Carolina State Defensive coordinator/secondary coach 6-5 Monte Kiffin 1983 Pacific Asst. head coach/offensive coordinator 3-9 Bob Cope
1984 Buffalo Bills Defensive backs coach 2-14 Kay Stephenson
1985 Minnesota Vikings Defensive backs coach 7-9 Bud Grant
1986 Minnesota Vikings Defensive backs coach 9-7 Jerry Burns
1987 Minnesota Vikings Defensive backs coach 8-7* (2-1) Jerry Burns
1988 Minnesota Vikings Defensive backs coach 11-5* (1-1) Jerry Burns
1989 Minnesota Vikings Defensive backs coach 10-6** (0-1) Jerry Burns
1990 New York Jets Defensive coordinator 6-10 Bruce Coslet
1991 New York Jets Defensive coordinator 8-8* (0-1) Bruce Coslet
1992 New York Jets Defensive coordinator 4-12 Bruce Coslet
1993 New York Jets Defensive coordinator 8-8 Bruce Coslet
1994 New York Jets Head coach 6-10 -
1995 San Francisco 49ers Defensive coordinator 11-5** (0-1) George Seifert
1996 San Francisco 49ers Defensive coordinator 12-4** (1-1) George Seifert
1997 New England Patriots Head coach 10-6** (1-1) -
1998 New England Patriots Head coach 9-7* (0-1) -
1999 New England Patriots Head coach 8-8 -
2001 USC Head coach 6-6 (Las Vegas) -
2002 USC Head coach 11-2 (Orange) -
2003 USC Head coach 12-1# (Rose) -
2004 USC Head coach 13-0# (Orange) -
http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/...ll_pete00.html

and as far as the offense is concerned I've always subscribed to practice makes perfect, when asked "If this is the best offense since Pete Carroll has been a coach at USC"
"What I am happy about is that they are playing like they practiced. We have practiced really well for some time now. Spring football and fall camp, this is what we have been seeing and the whole idea of this coaching business is to get your guys to practice their stuff and in the game they perform it. Offensively that is what happened. We were able to execute the game plan that we went in with, and Matt has done a marvelous job of allowing everybody to do what they are supposed to do. He has been giving the right opportunity with the checks and the guys are making their plays. It is the best start we have had. I feel very fortunate that we have gotten off to a good start with the new staff. It is has only been two games; it will be a long haul."
Old 09-22-2005   #19
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I wish I could say that I have been around NFL players and that I have graded their abilities. Unfortunately, I get to grade them after they have been picked by the real GM. This is my disclaimer. All my comments about how good or bad a player is are based on a 2-dimensional picture over a 1000 miles away from the real action. This is the main reason I tend to have faith in the GM.

In hindsight, the second round picks or lack of them has seemed to have a tremendous effect on the team IMO.

here is the draft history for the Texans.

Draft History

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
1 1 David Carr QB Fresno State
2 33 Jabar Gaffney WR Florida
2 50 Chester Pitts G San Diego State
3 66 Fred Weary G Tennessee
3 83 Charles Hill NT Maryland
4 99 Jonathan Wells RB Ohio State
5 136 Jarrod Baxter FB New Mexico
5 153 Ramon Walker SS Pittsburgh
6 173 Demarcus Faggins CB Kansas State
6 190 Howard Green DT Louisiana State
7 229 Greg White DE Minnesota
7 261 Ahmad Miller DT Nevada-Las Vegas

1 3 Andre Johnson WR Miami
2 41 Bennie Joppru TE Michigan
3 67 Antwan Peek OLB Cincinnati
3 75 Seth Wand T N.W. Missouri
3 88 Dave Ragone QB Louisville
4 101 Domanick Davis RB Louisiana State
6 192 Drew Henson QB Michigan
6 214 Keith Wright DT Missouri
7 217 Curry Burns DB Louisville
7 233 Chance Pearce C Texas A&M

1 10 Dunta Robinson CB South Carolina
1 27 Jason Babin OLB Western Michigan
4 122 Glenn Earl SS Notre Dame
6 170 Vontez Duff DB Notre Dame
6 175 Jammal Lord DB Nebraska
6 200 Charlie Anderson OLB Mississippi
7 210 Raheem Orr LB Rutgers
7 211 Sloan Thomas WR Texas
7 248 B.J. Symons QB Texas Tech

Houston
Rd Sel# Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School
1 16 Johnson, Travis DT 6-4 290 Florida State
3 73 Morency, Vernand RB 5-9 212 Oklahoma State
4 114 Mathis, Jerome WR 5-11 181 Hampton
5 151 Hodgdon, Drew C 6-3 309 Arizona State
6 188 Brown, Ceandris SS 6-0 208 Louisiana-Lafayette
7 227 Pettway, Kenneth OLB 6-4 255 Grambling State

Previous drafts were not perfect, but the 2005 draft gave us possibly 4 maybe 5 starters. I just hope we don't trade away our 2nd rounder this year unless it is really going to work.
Old 09-22-2005   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just enjoying the "cycle" I'm seeing on the boards these days. Someone will toss up a post with all kinds of information claiming that Casserly is completely inept and then all those who agree with him will climb aboard for the ride. Later someone else will generate a post claiming that Charlie's record speaks for itself and that he's on the right track. Likewise all those agreeing answer in kind.

I don't personally think Casserly is anything special. You can find a dozen teams who have drafted as well as the Redskins did (or better) under Casserly during his time there and I think just like his drafts here he gets too much credit for his 1's followed by insane love for the rare late round steal. Most important though I see little evidence that he's had the same kind of (so called) success here that he had in Washington.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read