Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-16-2004   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Robaire Smith in position to become a Super Star

For the past couple years Robaire has played in the shadows of the Freak. It has been reported that Smith has made huge strides of improvements year to year. Now after signing that huge contract... he will be in the spolight and will have his chance to shine. I truly believe that this will be the year that Robarie becomes a household name and gets to that Super Star status. You couple that with a healthy Gary Walker and Seth Payne... how could you not drool with the thought of such a fierce D-line.

Anyone else feel he has what it takes?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Absolutly! I think that of the offseason pickups, he could have the most apparent impact. Wade will have some to, but it won't be as noticable as Smiths.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #3
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I think he could have a big year, especially if we get Payne back. But, IMO, his impact wont be the number of tackles and sacks that he gets, but how many sacks and tackles for loss that the OLB's (Wong, Peek, Orr) rushing from his side get...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #4
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Correct Fiddy. If we start seeing QB's going down from the backer on his side, I would attribute a great deal of that to Smith. QB's hitting the dirt would sure be nice to see!

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #5
TexasAggie
Rookie

Thumbs up

R Smith should make our defense better than year one.

can't hardly wait !!!!!
TexasAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #6
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well he will be a household name in houston but normally 3-4 dl's are not none well outside of the football world...the real sign that he's a great job for us will be if our front three are beating the other teams front five...that not only would allow our OLB's a free shot at the QB but more chances for walker to make it a third pro bowl trip...anyway you look at it this season promises to be an exciting one for us...it might not be our year but i look for us to get more respect around the league
Old 07-16-2004   #7
geofb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
but how many sacks and tackles for loss that the OLB's (Wong, Peek, Orr) rushing from his side get...
Oh my goodness! Your likely to be skewered for leaving out Babin in your list of OLB's! General consensus (which I don't agree with) seems to be that Babin is a Superman-type...even before he's played one down in the NFL. I hope he is but I think we've had a bit of runaway enthusiasm on him at this point.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2004   #8
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofb
Oh my goodness! Your likely to be skewered for leaving out Babin in your list of OLB's! General consensus (which I don't agree with) seems to be that Babin is a Superman-type...even before he's played one down in the NFL. I hope he is but I think we've had a bit of runaway enthusiasm on him at this point.
Babin is the Left Outside Linebacker and Gary Walker is the Left End. Smith is the Right End and Wong, Peek, and Orr are the Right Outside Linebackers. So Babin isnt on Smith's side, Babin is on Walker's side, so Babin's sacks has to do with the play of Walker more than it does the play of Smith...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004   #9
Houston Fan
Rookie

As a season ticket holder to the Pats (I just live in Foxboro but I'm a Texans fan & native), I must say he seemed to be the most physical force to deal with in the two games I seen (Titans vs. Pats) last year. I'm not necessarily talking sacks, but just causing havoc for the running game and forcing Brady to make very quick pass decisions. Now granted, I didn't know a whole lot about Robaire before last year, but I must say I was suprised when I heard Tennessee let him go. I don't know what his stats for the season were, but regardless he seemed like a real disruptive force who couldn't be ignored. Without a doubt this guy has a huge upside and great signing!

Last edited by Houston Fan; 07-16-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Houston Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004   #10
Panther5407
All Pro

I know that Smith is a monster of a man. My dad and I met him at a restruant early this summer. I've know who he is being a big fan of Kearse, I've paided attention to the Titans D-line. I can't wait to watch him in a Texans uniform. To bad Kearse isn't joining him here.
Old 07-17-2004   #11
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

if our entire defensive line is healthy,and if they play up to expectations do we have the best 3-4 line in the league? i'm not ready to call them that ,but i'm not sure its outside the realm of possibilities...
Old 07-17-2004   #12
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

I think the Patriots have to be considered the best 3-4 line in the league. They have great depth, and Richard Seymour may be the best lineman in the game.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004   #13
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

i know they drafted wilfork wich may prove to be a great addition ,but they did lose ted washington...

walker- is a pro bowler
smith- has improved every year (hope that trend continues)
payne- was solid in 2002 and phenominal in miami and new orleans.

dont get me wrong i could be very mistaken here ,but i see a lot of potential in what we have now...if it pans out i think we have at least the 2nd best d-line among the 3-4 teams.

i'll agree wholeheartedly on the depth. we're not even close in that regard.
what we need to do very soon is add a 4th solid lineman to rotate and some quality youth.
Old 07-17-2004   #14
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to brickmantexanfan Send a message via Yahoo to brickmantexanfan

you are right
Old 07-17-2004   #15
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I think that every one on the defensive line is a pro-bowl caliber player. Walker has been there, If Payne can play like he did at the begining of '03, and if Smith can continually improve I see no reason why we cant have the best 3-4 d-line in the NFL.
Old 07-18-2004   #16
Texansbacker
Veteran

Pending injuries the Texans D-line will be dominating. Just hope we don't lose the front line though as we drop off significantly, in relation to talent and ability, after the starters.

Keep in mind that with Kaliee Wong moving to his more natural side and a bona fide pass rusher protege in Kevin Greene.....I mean Jason Babin along with an improved Antwaan Peek should increase the pressure in the passing game and keep our linebackers free to make plays in the running game.

Injuries are definitely the key. I agree we need some top rung talent to have in reserve and my money is that will be a major priority in next years draft.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read