Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-19-2004   #21
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Lets get back to Carter, last year you said he threw for 3,302 yards. Lets see how that stacks up with other franchises

If QC was on the Dolphins:
Dan Marino alone has 12 seasons with better passing marks, so he would already be #13 on the Dolphins single season passing yards list

If QC was on the Broncos:
Elway has 9 seasons better then Carter's total last year, so all ready he would be 10th on their career list

If QC was on the 49ers:
Montana had 6 better seasons than QC
Young had 4 seasons better than QC
Garcia has had 3 seasons better than QC
So QC would be #14 on the 49ers single season passing chart

If QC was on the Packers:
Favre has had 11 seasons better
L.Dickey had 2 seasons better
R.Wright had 1 season better
D.Majkowski had 1 season better
So QC would be #16 on the Packers all time list

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004   #22
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys!
Carter-QC, finally given his chance, produced 5th highest passing total in team history with 3,302 yards. He threw for 17 TD's, added 257 yds and 2 TD's on the ground.
I guess you were talking about Nell Carter or Jimmy Carter.
Old 07-19-2004   #23
pv1999
Veteran

Quote:
Well I see your points and now I agree with them. But the point I want to get across now is if Aikman staubach, or White were placed on a team without an excellent running backs, they would be prolific.
For the answer, look at what they did without a running game.
Aikman-Nothing Franchise WORST season
Staubach-The 1963 Heisman Trophy winner showed up in Dallas as a 27-year-old rookie, but in those 11 seasons still managed carve out the franchise's all-time leading quarterback rating of 83.42 and became a five-time NFL passing champion. But Staubach almost became better known for his scrambling ability, and to this day ranks eighth on the Cowboys' all-time rushing list with 2,264 yards.

Staubach owns the second most passing yards in club history, 22,700, and his 3,586 in 1979 still ranks as the second most passing yards in a single season for the Cowboys. He also still leads the club with a career average of 7.67 yards per attempt and his three, 300-yard passing performances in 1979 has him tied for the single-season lead with Don Meredith and Danny White.

Staubach also become known as "Captain Comeback" for his 23 fourth-quarter come-from-behind victories in regular season and playoff games, including 14 in the final two minutes or overtime. Never was this more apparent than in a 1975 playoff game against the Minnesota Vikings when Staubach connected with wide receiver Drew Pearson on a desperation 50-yard "Hail Mary" touchdown pass that knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs.

"You could never defeat Roger mentally or physically," late Cowboys head coach Tom Landry said in 1983. "He was like that in a game, in practice, or in the business world."

Staubach ended his Cowboys career with four Super Bowl appearances, including wins in Super Bowls VI and XII. In Super Bowl VI, Staubach was named the game's Most Valuable Player.

White- 15 straight winning seasons (using the supporting cast from Staubach in a Steve Youngesque way).

So Yes, Roger Staubach was a prolific passer for his time. Danny White followed the blueprint and Aikman was at the helm when the ship sank.

Oh..Yes, and Carter is getting ready to lose his spot to a baseball player.
Old 07-19-2004   #24
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Lets get back to Carter, last year you said he threw for 3,302 yards. Lets see how that stacks up with other franchises

If QC was on the Dolphins:
Dan Marino alone has 12 seasons with better passing marks, so he would already be #13 on the Dolphins single season passing yards list

If QC was on the Broncos:
Elway has 9 seasons better then Carter's total last year, so all ready he would be 10th on their career list

If QC was on the 49ers:
Montana had 6 better seasons than QC
Young had 4 seasons better than QC
Garcia has had 3 seasons better than QC
So QC would be #14 on the 49ers single season passing chart

If QC was on the Packers:
Favre has had 11 seasons better
L.Dickey had 2 seasons better
R.Wright had 1 season better
D.Majkowski had 1 season better
So QC would be #16 on the Packers all time list
Couldnt agree with you more. Even though all the teams you put against QC had the game's best q.bs ever. Your absolutely right.
Another thing I agree with you, 3,302 isnt really that great to many people, but to me it's not bad that. Reason 1 is he improved from a terrible 1,465 yrs the year before to 3,302. This means Carter's taking steps ahead in improving to be a better quarter back. Reason 2 is Carter had more yards last season than Delhomme, Garcia, Mcnabb, Ramsey, Collins, Blake, Harrington, Steward, Mcnair, Plumme, Pennigton, Holocomb, Gannon, Leftwich, Bledsoe, Fielder, Carr, Brees, and Boeller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I guess you were talking about Nell Carter or Jimmy Carter.
So if you saw Delhomme, Garcia, Mcnabb, Ramsey, Collins, Blake, Harrington, Steward, Mcnair, Plumme, Pennigton, Holocomb, Gannon, Leftwich, Bledsoe, Fielder, Carr , Brees, and Boeller's stats you would get them mixed up with Jimmy Carter? Well I guess you can see it that way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv1999
For the answer, look at what they did without a running game.
Aikman-Nothing Franchise WORST season
Staubach-The 1963 Heisman Trophy winner showed up in Dallas as a 27-year-old rookie, but in those 11 seasons still managed carve out the franchise's all-time leading quarterback rating of 83.42 and became a five-time NFL passing champion. But Staubach almost became better known for his scrambling ability, and to this day ranks eighth on the Cowboys' all-time rushing list with 2,264 yards.

Staubach owns the second most passing yards in club history, 22,700, and his 3,586 in 1979 still ranks as the second most passing yards in a single season for the Cowboys. He also still leads the club with a career average of 7.67 yards per attempt and his three, 300-yard passing performances in 1979 has him tied for the single-season lead with Don Meredith and Danny White.

Staubach also become known as "Captain Comeback" for his 23 fourth-quarter come-from-behind victories in regular season and playoff games, including 14 in the final two minutes or overtime. Never was this more apparent than in a 1975 playoff game against the Minnesota Vikings when Staubach connected with wide receiver Drew Pearson on a desperation 50-yard "Hail Mary" touchdown pass that knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs.

"You could never defeat Roger mentally or physically," late Cowboys head coach Tom Landry said in 1983. "He was like that in a game, in practice, or in the business world."

Staubach ended his Cowboys career with four Super Bowl appearances, including wins in Super Bowls VI and XII. In Super Bowl VI, Staubach was named the game's Most Valuable Player.

White- 15 straight winning seasons (using the supporting cast from Staubach in a Steve Youngesque way).

So Yes, Roger Staubach was a prolific passer for his time. Danny White followed the blueprint and Aikman was at the helm when the ship sank.

Oh..Yes, and Carter is getting ready to lose his spot to a baseball player.
Wait, White had an awesome RB. Infact a hall of famer. Ever heard of Tony Dorsett?

Last edited by HowBoutThemCowboys!; 07-19-2004 at 09:28 PM.
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004   #25
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Even though all the teams you put against QC had the game's best q.bs ever.
I was comparing him to franchise's that have had, my defenition, of a 'prolific' passer.

Quote:
Another thing I agree with you, 3,302 isnt really that great to many people, but to me it's not bad that. Reason 1 is he improved from a terrible 1,465 yrs the year before to 3,302.
I dont think it is that bad either, especially, like what you pointed out, when he threw for 1465 yards the year before.

QC was a good QB last year, I cant take that away from him, and I believe he gives the Cowboys the best chance to win this coming season...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004   #26
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Troy was such a non-prolific QB that he'll probably be a first ballot Hall of Fame player.

I don't get the logic that he wasn't prolific. Who cares about stats if you're not winning? They are about as worthless as the paper they are printed on if the team isn't doing well.

Marino was great but I bet he'd trade all those records for one Lombardi trophy.

Last edited by WWJD; 07-19-2004 at 11:52 PM.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004   #27
SESupergenius

Quote:
So if you saw Delhomme, Garcia, Mcnabb, Ramsey, Collins, Blake, Harrington, Steward, Mcnair, Plumme, Plocomb, Gaennigton, Honnon, Leftwich, Bledsoe, Fielder, Carr , Brees, and Boeller's stats you would get them mixed up with Jimmy Carter? Well I guess you can see it that way....
Sure since non of them have won a SuperBowl. Although Jimmy won the Presidency....and stayed at a Holiday Inn once. Quincy did play a Medical Examiner on TV back in the early 80's, but I think that's all he's done.
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2004   #28
pv1999
Veteran

Quote:
Wait, White had an awesome RB. Infact a hall of famer. Ever heard of Tony Dorsett?
Tony D arrived in time to open the SuperBowl floodgates for Staubach and stayed to win a few for White. How many did they win before him? But I see where you are going and what you should find out is if anyone has ever won a superbowl without a running game. Don't bring out the League of Ordinary Gentlemen to compare to your boy QC to make him look good. He's still going to lose his job to a baseball player, and not even a good baseball player.
Old 07-20-2004   #29
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Tony D arrived in time to open the SuperBowl floodgates for Staubach and stayed to win a few for White.
Dorsett arrived in 1977, actually all he won was 1 super bowl for Denver and lost 1 to the Steelers, all while Stauach was qb, When White was at the helm. They didnt even go to one.

Quincy will not lose the starting job to Henson, as Fiddy said Carter did a good job last season. How about we make a little bet. When the regular season starts if Hensons a spot ahead of Carter on the roster, on this mb, I'll start a thread that says in all caps TEXANS ARE THE BEST,COWBOYS ARE A BUNCH OF LOSERS! Then I'll make 10 responses repeadetly saying Texans own Dallas. If Quincy is ahead of Henson then you do the same exact thing but saying Cowboys are the best,Texans are losers and repeadetly responde saying Dallas owns Texans.
If your so confident he's going to beat out Carter then accept this bet

Last edited by HowBoutThemCowboys!; 07-20-2004 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-20-2004   #30
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

How about this. If Henson replaces Carter at any point IN THE SEASON as the QB ahead of him, then we have a bet. Of course if the reason is injury then its called off. I dont think anyone expects Henson to start over Carter opening day if this season at all. In 05 though Carter might be looking at a permanent backup position.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004   #31
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't believe Henson will start the season. He's simply not ready. At some point he'll be their starting QB but probably not this year.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004   #32
pv1999
Veteran

Quote:
TEXANS ARE THE BEST,COWBOYS ARE A BUNCH OF LOSERS!
Why should I bet, you already said it?
But whoever starts will be better with Eddie running the ball.
They still won't be prolific.
Old 07-20-2004   #33
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
How about this. If Henson replaces Carter at any point IN THE SEASON as the QB ahead of him, then we have a bet. Of course if the reason is injury then its called off. I dont think anyone expects Henson to start over Carter opening day if this season at all. In 05 though Carter might be looking at a permanent backup position.
Sweet, deal. I like your style. BTW, Led Zep rocks. I've have all the albums. My fav is Led Zep II
Old 07-20-2004   #34
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Quote:
Why should I bet, you already said it?
But whoever starts will be better with Eddie running the ball.
They still won't be prolific.
Why should I bet with a guy who thinks White and Staubach didnt have a running game. lol, I had to tell you Tony Dorsett was on White and Staubach's team. Then you start saying White and Dorsett won superbowls together. I can see while your ranked a student of the game on this mb. lol
I'm betting with a real fan who has the guts to do it

Last edited by HowBoutThemCowboys!; 07-20-2004 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2004   #35
pv1999
Veteran

Have you figured out by now that my Cowboy knowledge is limited? I never have cared enough about the Boys to pay attention because I don't like the Cowboys. Didn't I say that?

Dallas has always been a team much like the Astros in that sometimes it seems that the front office plays "buddyball" and keeps players based on relationships with owners and not talent. Never have liked em. So you will have to excuse my limited knowledge of football games played while I was in elementary school. lol

Oh and by the way I found two people who won a Superbowl without an "A" rushing game one was Brett Farve, a prolific passer, and the other was Tom Brady.

Last edited by pv1999; 07-20-2004 at 09:28 PM.
pv1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004   #36
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Quote:
Have you figured out by now that my Cowboy knowledge is limited? I never have cared enough about the Boys to pay attention because I don't like the Cowboys. Didn't I say that?

Dallas has always been a team much like the Astros in that sometimes it seems that the front office plays "buddyball" and keeps players based on relationships with owners and not talent. Never have liked em. So you will have to excuse my limited knowledge of football games played while I was in elementary school. lol

Oh and by the way I found two people who won a Superbowl without an "A" rushing game one was Brett Farve, a prolific passer, and the other was Tom Brady.
Who cares about winning a superbowl without a good runner with a prolific Q.B, I could care less whether you do have a running game or not. When did I show so much intrest in finding out?
Dallas keeps players based on relationships? lol. What player did we keep due to a relationship? Your desperate man
If you've never cared about Dallas, then why do you still guess we won superbowls with White. If you dont like the Boys then why do you bother to even guess?
I dont get it? You dont like how owners keep players because of relationships,(Even though thatís not the case with Dallas.) well it was sort of the opposite when the Houston Oilers moved to Tennesse. The owner didnt keep the city not because of a relationship but because he wanted more money. Even though I wasnt a fan of Houston I didnt like it one bit. An owner should stay loyal. Thatís the one think you cant deny. Dallas has never moved from Dallas and never will
Old 07-20-2004   #37
HoustonTexans4Life
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to HoustonTexans4Life
Default uh huh

I agree w/ you fiddy! Lets just face it Quincy Carters not consistent enough to be the cowboys quarter back ,,,well atleast not if the wanna win a superbowl,,,, which i'm sure is why teams play every year! I dunno i kinda liked yall arguing
HoustonTexans4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004   #38
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

since this thread has already been hijacked ... Moon was better than all of em.

Old 07-21-2004   #39
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexans4Life
I agree w/ you fiddy! Lets just face it Quincy Carters not consistent enough to be the cowboys quarter back ,,,well atleast not if the wanna win a superbowl,,,, which i'm sure is why teams play every year! I dunno i kinda liked yall arguing
Fiddy, didnt say that, he said "QC was a good QB last year, I cant take that away from him, and I believe he gives the Cowboys the best chance to win this coming season..." which is absolutely correct and I think it awesome that one Houston fan thinks Q.C is the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
since this thread has already been hijacked ... Moon was better than all of em.

Moon was really awesome. Not only was he an overall great q.b but he was a pioneer for african american q.bs in the NFL

Last edited by HowBoutThemCowboys!; 07-21-2004 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-21-2004   #40
pv1999
Veteran

Why was Dorsett a Bronco?
Why is Emmitt a Cardinal?
It may be just me but it seems that the White Quarterbacks always get to retire as a Cowboy and the Black stars get traded after they are no longer useful to the organization. It has happened more than once, would you say it was coincidence or team policy?
A 3000 yard season, 5th all-time, some would say that if QC was a white quarterback he would be on his way to the ring of honor. But he is in the process of being replaced with a baseball player and I don't think its based on talent or race I think its relationships.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read