Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2005   #1
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to brickmantexanfan Send a message via Yahoo to brickmantexanfan
Default What is the correct answer

Just wondering what everyone thinks is the correct answer to our offensive problems.Is it a better o line or is the answer pendry?
Old 09-20-2005   #2
touttail
All Pro

Dom Capers here, could you please spell O Line, so I can writh it in my little notepad.

bobby119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #3
ojthecat
Veteran

Jimmy Johnson
Old 09-20-2005   #4
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

does anyone think the fact that we played 2 dominant defenses had anything to do with it? What if our offsense explodes in the next couple of weeks once we face more pedestrian defenses will Pendry get the accolades?
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Facing the defenses we did certainly did not help. The manner in which this team carried itself is really the issue, though. I think we all expected Pitt. to win the game, and while I am encouraged by the slight improvement from the Buffalo game, the bickering on the field, dropped passes, missed blitz pickups, lapses on defense, and inability to stop the run at all have me concerned. And to think, we haven't even faced a top-notch offense yet. Indy would have torched us beyond recognition either of these past two weeks.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #6
gcolby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
does anyone think the fact that we played 2 dominant defenses had anything to do with it? What if our offsense explodes in the next couple of weeks once we face more pedestrian defenses will Pendry get the accolades?
Think back to preseason, when the 1st team offensive line played, and it was weak then as well. It ain't just the first two games of this season.

Oh, and remember how overjoyed folks were when we returned 10/11 starters on offense? Well, our offensive line was weak at the end of last season too. I just don't know how people can say they did not see this coming, or that we did not have to address this need in the offseason.
gcolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #7
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 666 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"Sometimes he sacked himself," Joey Porter of the Steelers said. "He was running everywhere, (taking) delay of games, throwing the ball in the dirt, taking sacks, running into guys he was scrambling for no reason at times."
this was directed at David Carr's performance.

seems like a professional NFL football player's analysis of just one of our offensive problems is a pretty good source of info, IMHO.

There is no ONE answer to what the problem is. But the most glaring problem is our QB acting like rookie in his 4th season of playing. Is this correctable? perhaps. Time will tell. But how much time we give him is the question now, to me anyway.

and yes, I do think the O-line has some of the blame. As do the WR's, TE's, RB's, Defense, etc.

Right now the local High school football team could play the Texans and it would be a competitive game, IMHO.

There is no ONE single answer because there is no ONE single problem, IMHO.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2005   #8
SteelBlueToro
Veteran

I think you have to look back further than the last 2 games and preseason. This team has not been the same since that game against Cleveland last season. The Browns did not have a top defense - and the Texans offense crumbled. This has been something brewing for a long time - and it finally blew up. Blame should be spread. First, Charley Casserly. He did NOTHING to bolster the offensive line or get a second WR. He's wasted draft picks on "projects" rather than players - and of course brought in a flag football player (aka Buchanon) this past season. Casserly has done a poor job of assembling this team, he's passed on some good talent in the drafts, and has done nothing to speak of in free agency (remember - he wanted to build the team through the draft, what a joke). Dom Capers, utlimately he's responsible for football operations and has done little to get this team moving on either side of the ball. But then again - he hasn't had a lot to work with talent-wise. Then there are the players themselves, led by boywonder David Carr. In his defense - he's not had an o-line to prevent the many collisions he's had, but he needs to suck it up and start playing smarter and quit pouting. Other players too many to mention need to step up too.

I would not be surprised to see Mr. McNair clean house completely if this Casserly/Capers/Carr experiment continues to stink up the place.

Just my 2 cents...
SteelBlueToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #9
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
I agree. But I think our offense will get worse now that palmer is gone. If thats possible
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #10
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

i think they will be using the same playbook for the most part, with another guy calling the plays. hopefully. we will see more plays, like the one we scored on last week, being called rather than an 8 man line trying to run the ball.
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcolby
Oh, and remember how overjoyed folks were when we returned 10/11 starters on offense?
Let's talk about that 10/11. The pass blocking is no better this year and the run blocking is far worse. Does everyone think Riley was a good change, or does he just get a free pass?
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #12
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3474 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Runner, I guess we'll never really know because the Texans don't play these opponents again this year--so there's no way to see Sloth Wand against them. In the first couple of preseason games Riley was doing pretty well. Lately, well...it's debatable. If you buy the Texans' company line, most of the sacks so far aren't the fault of the offensive line. If you don't buy that, then he's up for as much criticism as the other linemen.

But spin it another way for a second: if ALL 11 starters had returned and the team was giving up this many sacks, they'd be getting crucified for not making any changes at all. Riley may not be better (yet), but he's certainly no worse than his predecessor, and I'll credit the Texans for trying something there. (Whether there were better options available is an issue that's been discussed here dozens of times and I'll leave that alone.)
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

What is wrong with them?

Passing.. we have an interior line that gets pushed into David's face (hello Center) .. with that happening over and over our QB sprints out of the pocket at the first sign of daylight. which inturn he scrambles and can't make a play downfield .. Our WR's somehow can't find a way to get open. Our Rb's can't make the first player miss and go the distance.

To me our defense hasn't improved since 2002,but gotten weaker overall .
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #14
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
What is wrong with them?

Passing.. we have an interior line that gets pushed into David's face (hello Center) .. with that happening over and over our QB sprints out of the pocket at the first sign of daylight. which inturn he scrambles and can't make a play downfield .. Our WR's somehow can't find a way to get open. Our Rb's can't make the first player miss and go the distance.

To me our defense hasn't improved since 2002,but gotten weaker overall .
I certainly agree with you concerning the defense. I still say Mathis is the 2nd receiver they were looking for but once again the injury bug struck. I thought Mathis would have an impact on special teams and on offense. Now, will he play much this season and will he be effective or will this be another one of those nagging injuries which will last until next year at this time.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #15
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67767 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

game 2 vs steelers

4th quarter

polamalu's 3rd sack on carr...

watch riley. he rides polamalu outside and then stops. his arms fall to his side. his knees loose their bend. he stops and watches as polamalu runs by him and has a clean shot on carr. to me this play was almost as inexcusable as the p-buc tackle.

i was so stunned by riley's lack of effort that i rewound the tape and watched the play another 10-15 times. i even tried to listen for awhistle...something...anything....it wasnt there.

riley is not the answer and never will be. his pass protection is as bad as wand's...his only attribute is he's a domminant run blocker.

you want answers for what went wrong or what will put us back on track?

if you want back on track your going to have to wait for free agency and the 06 draft...
Old 09-20-2005   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda
game 2 vs steelers

4th quarter

watch riley. he rides polamalu outside and then stops. his arms fall to his side. his knees loose their bend. he stops and watches as polamalu runs by him and has a clean shot on carr. to me this play was almost as inexcusable as the p-buc tackle.

i was so stunned by riley's lack of effort that i rewound the tape and watched the play another 10-15 times. i even tried to listen for awhistle...something...anything....it wasnt there.

riley is not the answer and never will be. his pass protection is as bad as wand's...his only attribute is he's a domminant run blocker.

if you want back on track your going to have to wait for free agency and the 06 draft...
I saw the same thing, I would like to see Wand back @ LT with a TE
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=powda]riley is not the answer and never will be. his pass protection is as bad as wand's...his only attribute is he's a domminant run blocker.

QUOTE]

Last year the Texans were in the top 10 running outside to the left. They don't rate that high now. We'll see how the year progresses, but I don't have high hopes.

Remember also that last year EVERYTHING was the line's fault, and most of that blamed on Wand. I think if we'd review Wand's performance in the same light as we do the O-line this year (receivers don't get open, Carr isn't the greatest ever, running backs should block somebody), maybe we wouldn't be so down on Wand. Especially since he was one-on-one all the time; this year Riley gets a lot of TE support.

Riley won't get any better; he's on the downside of his career. His only improvment will be when he gets the line calls right and plays better with Pitts. Wand's a young guy; last year was his seasoning by fire. This year he should have been given the chance to show his 1st to 2nd year (starting) improvement.

TexanExile - yeah, we don't play these teams again, but Riley is going to meet Mr. Freeney one of these days. Riley looks slow now; wait till Freeney uses a speed move on him.
Old 09-20-2005   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
But spin it another way for a second: if ALL 11 starters had returned and the team was giving up this many sacks, they'd be getting crucified for not making any changes at all. Riley may not be better (yet), but he's certainly no worse than his predecessor, and I'll credit the Texans for trying something there. (Whether there were better options available is an issue that's been discussed here dozens of times and I'll leave that alone.)
Then spin it again - make a change for changes sake, and if the player is worse, the fans will still be happy because we tried. Not me - I'm unhappy that we don't play the best players available to us for whatever reason (As also discussed here dozen's of times: Bradford starting, keeping Hollings and cutting Swinton or someone else, etc)

I'm getting dizzy.

Anyway, I stated last year that you could put Orlando Pace at center and that does nothing to stop the constant push up the middle. Play the young guy with upside!
Old 09-20-2005   #19
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
game 2 vs steelers

4th quarter

...good post
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
game 2 vs steelers

4th quarter

I'm in that play right now. Dave had 3 seconds to get rid of that ball and ran backwards AFTER his drop and after 3 seconds. You cannot keep dropping back in this league or you get creamed. Once Polamalu was past Riley there was nothing he could do unless he had a teleporter. No amount of effort puts Riley in front of him when Carr decides to keep backing up. The play starts at 10:10 and Carr gets hit at 10:07...on the 23. The play started on the 33. When you don't know where your QB is you just can't be expected to keep your body between the rusher and the QB if he isn't in the pocket.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read