Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2005   #21
exclude
Veteran

I don't know about that.

You can mold anyone how you want them to be, if innately they are good players.

I'm saying that maybe we need to look closely at our scouting dept. and see if its run properly cause our track record in drafting first round picks have been spotty, especially when drafting for the defensive side.
exclude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #22
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclude
I'm saying that maybe we need to look closely at our scouting dept. and see if its run properly cause our track record in drafting first round picks have been spotty, especially when drafting for the defensive side.
Dunta not good enough for you? AJ? We can just glance at the last expansion team to see poor 1st round choices.

I'd agree that the scouting seems to be weak but feel it's after the first round.
Old 09-20-2005   #23
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The Texans have issues offensively on four fronts:

1. Scheme
2. Play selection
3. Execution
4. Talent

Scheme - I don't think you will find many people that like the scheme we are running. It seems predictable and stagnant. I don't think Pendry will have time to stray much from it this season, so we are stuck with it. Personally I would be happy if I didn't see the 3 TE formation the rest of the year. It seems to result in -1 to 1 yard every time.

Play selection - this is the area that Pendry can make a significant difference. We have a tendency to run a lot on first downs. Why not exploit that by using play action passes on first to suck in the defense and throw downfield. We need to pass more on 1st and run more on the later downs. Hoepfully Pendry has a plan to protect Carr better yet keep us balanced.

Execution - Carr is rattled and needs to regain his confidence in his line, receivers, and, most importantly, himself. The pre-snap penalties are killing this team on offense as well as defense. The offensive line has more talent run blocking than they have shown. DD needs to get on track. Most importantly, we need to get AJ into the game. He is our best offensive player and is a Ferrari that is being kept in the garage. I also like Matt Murphy's pass-catching skills and would like to see more of him. Derrick Armstrong needs to be in on every 3rd and 4th down situation.

Talent - Our line is average to below average overall in terms of talent. They are underperforming and might be in the wrong scheme. There are at least 5 teams with less talent (San Diego and Miami come to mind), yet we look like the worst in the league. This line should be above average at run blocking, bug so far that doesn't appear to be the case.
We can get a lot more out of our receivers. We have our Pro Bowler in AJ who is doubled every play. We have a burner in Bradford who has inconsistent hands but is capable of making a big play downfield. Despite his drops, we need to try two long passes a game to him (play action?). Gaffney and Armstrong have great hands and can catch anything throw at them. Mathis is the X factor. Hopefully he can get healthy and show us something.
DD is a solid runner that has good vision and quickness. He is also a threat out of the backfield. While he is in the middle of the pack in terms of talent for starting NFL backs, he is in a system that puts the focus on the run. He can put up good numbers if the line gives him some wiggle room.
Then there is Carr. Carr has the skills to be very good. He is not an elite QB, and probably never will. Unfortunately he looks shellshocked and is focusing more on the rushers than his receivers. This doesn't bode well for him. If we aren't careful, he will be damaged goods very soon. It is a shame because he has so much talent. I'd also like to see him spend more time in the film room with his offense. From what I have heard, he punches the clock in then goes home. That isn't going to get it done.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #24
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default New Offensive Scheme

Punt on first down to avoid engerys. :brickwall :brickwall
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read