Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which choice would you have made?
LB Derrick Johnson (Awesome LB) 31 50.82%
DE Travis Johnson (Could be a DL anchor) 9 14.75%
T Jamal Brown (Rookie of the week according to gbn) 12 19.67%
T Alex Barron (Gifted LT) 4 6.56%
Trade up for a big name WR 5 8.20%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2005   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What draft choice would you have taken?

And Why?
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #2
D-Rob23
Veteran

OT Jamal Brown : Ask David Carr

However, I was definitely shocked by the Texans passing on Derrick Johnson... Then again I should not be surprised by these decisions anymore...

Last edited by D-Rob23; 09-19-2005 at 06:31 PM.
D-Rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

SIMPLE TAKE BPA! Derrick Johnson was the best player on the board when the Texans selected @ #13. the system can adjust to change for a playmaker on defense the magnitude of Derrick. I never really gave it much thought at the time because I did not think he would fall to the Texans. the Vikings should have taken him @ #7. so basicly teams are passing on one of the two (DeMarcus Ware being the other) defensive players in the entire draft for need or BETTER system fits.

Drafts should be to build a franchise future not address year by year needs & you don't pass on Pro-Bowl potential players because "they don't fit our system". I'm wondering why Casserly ever invited Derrick to Relient for a workout & interview? anybody remember that
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #4
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

its a no-brainer

IF we had a good GM, we would of signed a decent OL in FA, filling that need
OT - Jonas Jennings
OT - Chris Terry
OT - L.J. Shelton
OL - Mike Wahle (he's a 6'6 OG, and very quick footed, definitely could've played OT, and very well)

Or since the coaches wanted to improve the D-line first, sign just one of these guys in FA.
DE - Kevin Carter
DE - Marques Douglas
DT - Pat Williams
DT - Jason Ferguson
DT - Corey Simon

No matter how little the team did in Free Agency, they still should've taken the best player available.

Therefore Derrick Johnson LB was the pick.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL
its a no-brainer

IF we had a good GM, we would of signed a decent OL in FA, filling that need
OT - Jonas Jennings
OT - Chris Terry
OT - L.J. Shelton
OL - Mike Wahle (he's a 6'6 OG, and very quick footed, definitely could've played OT, and very well)

Or since the coaches wanted to improve the D-line first, sign just one of these guys in FA.
DE - Kevin Carter
DE - Marques Douglas
DT - Pat Williams
DT - Jason Ferguson
DT - Corey Simon

No matter how little the team did in Free Agency, they still should've taken the best player available.

Therefore Derrick Johnson LB was the pick.
YOUR RIGHT ON, THATS A NO BRAINER :brickwall
Old 09-19-2005   #6
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rob23
OT Jamal Brown : Ask David Carr

However, I was definitely shocked by the Texans passing on Derrick Johnson... Then again I should not be surprised by these decisions anymore...
I agree with everything you said.
Old 09-19-2005   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Too bad Jammal Brown is playing RT right now and Alex Barron is 2nd team tackle for the Rams...
Old 09-19-2005   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of LTs start at RT and move over to LT. And Barron is the #2 because he is playing behind Orlando Pace
Old 09-19-2005   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

barron, left tackle position is weak
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

gtexan02 makes some points but I think the most important one is that in order to start for the Texans Barron would need to be better than our current LT (or RT, depending on where you're putting him) and how far down the Rams depth chart he is makes no difference whatsoever. I think it's safe to say that they're better than we are on the line and deeper too.

Not that I would have taken him. We didn't need another season of Carr getting crushed while a rookie LT learns on the job. We needed a veteran LT to stop the bleeding immediatley. The Texans should have signed the best available free agent LT as soon as possible. Overpay if you must because this is the one spot on the team where it's ok to overpay. Just get it done. If necessary they should have made Orlando Pace an offer he couldn't walk away from.

The team said they were serious about fixing the situation on the line. The team lied.
Old 09-19-2005   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
The team said they were serious about fixing the situation on the line. The team lied.
Now that is a quote I'd like to remember. Truer words were never spoken.
Old 09-19-2005   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

I'm wondering if the Texans have a shot this year at drafting DeBrickshaw Ferguson would they pass on him too
Old 09-19-2005   #13
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I'm wondering if the Texans have a shot this year at drafting DeBrickshaw Ferguson would they pass on him too
If the draft was today and they passed on him. I realy dont know what i would do but it wouldnt be pretty. It probably be somthing like
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #14
mes311
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
If necessary they should have made Orlando Pace an offer he couldn't walk away from.
Would you have also been willing to give up the 2 1st rounders it would have taken to get the 29 yo LT that hasn't missed many games?
It may have been worth it, especially if he helped you get a low first next year.
Old 09-19-2005   #15
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes311
Would you have also been willing to give up the 2 1st rounders it would have taken to get the 29 yo LT that hasn't missed many games?
It may have been worth it, especially if he helped you get a low first next year.

would I give up a Jason Babin and Travis Johnson for Orlando Pace?

YOU BET YOUR *** I WOULD!
stevo3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #16
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
would I give up a Jason Babin and Travis Johnson for Orlando Pace?

YOU BET YOUR *** I WOULD!
Two first rounders is to much. What would we do without AJ and Drob
Old 09-19-2005   #17
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
Two first rounders is to much. What would we do without AJ and Drob
not every 1st rounder is a top 10 pick that turns into a pro bowler right away.
stevo3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #18
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
not every 1st rounder is a top 10 pick that turns into a pro bowler right away.
I know but what if our next two 1rst rounders turned out to be a top five Lt and the next randy moss. would you take that risk. Pace is not the anwser to our problems.
Old 09-19-2005   #19
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Allthough he would help
Old 09-19-2005   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

In an ideal situation Bubbajwp I'd agree with you that Pace isn't the answer to our problems. The Texans have allowed "our problems" to fester so long however that I think a drastic solution like Orlando Pace or, at the very least one of the other free agent LT's that signed early is the only answer.

In Orlandos case people don't want to give up the pair of 1's but honestly, you're adding Orlando Pace to your team. Orlando Pace is himself a 1 so that offsets one of the picks you give up. You're trading a possibility for a known quantity and giving up years (because Pace isn't a puppy anymore) in exchange for getting him right now. Consider the second 1 you would lose an investment. If you don't give that 1 up you're going to waste the 1 you spent on David Carr because without protection you might as well have thrown that one away too.

Seriously though, in a perfect world we took care of this two seasons ago. I can accept that the gamble on Boselli didn't pay off. I can't accept that there was no "Plan B". Everybody has a freakin Plan B in this business. Everybody you want running your team that is.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read