Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2005   #1
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer
Default If Capers goes....

What do we do with our defense?? They have invested 4 offseason trying to get the right players to run a 3-4. Do we hire another 3-4 guy or do we retool our defense and move to the 4-3? Here's to another 5 year plan!
Old 09-19-2005   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

We have the players for a 4-3. Walker, Payne, Smith, and TJ are all DT's. Babin, Peek, Anderson, someone else I'm missing are all DE's. And we have a we LB's, most notably Wong, Greenwood. Might need a few here and there, but DT looks to be strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #3
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

with a 4-3 we would run...?
Peek and Babin at DE
Johnson, Walker and Smith at DT
Wong and Greenwood at OLB.
Who runs the defense?? who would we use at Middle Linebacker??
Old 09-19-2005   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

LCROD is right.

We have the d-linemen for a 4-3.

No more two-man rush on the QB.

That was just pathetic and dumb.

Yeah, the 3-4 is AWESOME!!!!

Oh, I forgot. "But other teams run it and are winning with it...."

Yeah, and THOSE teams have a great offense that keeps their defense rested, too. We don't. Gotta' have both to be effective.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #5
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

I really do like the 3-4. We just havent executed it correctly. The 4-3 seems to be a little safer. allows more room for error and with our inexpierence we need as much room for error as possible.
Old 09-19-2005   #6
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Regardless we are more than a few players away. I think our d-line would be great. We would have tons of depth there, but our LB's wouldn't be all that. But thats why we have FA and the draft. On paper it would seem like we could pull off the switch, especially with a whole offseason to do it. Not like these guys havent played those positions before they got to Houston.

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 09-19-2005   #7
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

So would switching to a 4-3 change our draft philosophy? Would we want to go after an impact MLB in the first round and then take care of the O Line after that?? Impact MLB in Free agency?? hmmmm... well.. atleast im getting excited about Texans football again.
Old 09-19-2005   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, but you're trying to convert the "pro 3-4" crowd that thinks it is soooooooo sacred and special.

I hear what you're saying, and I agree.

But the pro 3-4 crowd just won't have anything of it.

I haven't seen anything of the 3-4 that makes me get excited.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #9
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

I'm a pro winning guy. I think most of the people that are pro 3-4 are that way because they believed in what Capers and Co. were telling us. We wanted to have faith in this organization. Now that a lot of faith is being lost, I'm willing to be a lot of those pro 3-4 guys will be willing to take a look at whatever our Front Office is willing to bring in... as long as we see results I dont care if we run a 10-1.
Old 09-19-2005   #10
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
as long as we see results I dont care if we run a 10-1.

That quote made my day.
TigerV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Yeah, but you're trying to convert the "pro 3-4" crowd that thinks it is soooooooo sacred and special.

I hear what you're saying, and I agree.

But the pro 3-4 crowd just won't have anything of it.

I haven't seen anything of the 3-4 that makes me get excited.
I just saw it ran well yesterday. Too bad they were the team in black.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #12
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Peek and Babin would get trucked on a consistent basis playing DE in a 4-3 scheme in this league.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #13
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

both Peek and Babin are playing out of possition on our team right now. Both were DE's in college and I'm sure they wouldnt mind making the switch... again.
Old 09-19-2005   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Peek and Babin would get trucked on a consistent basis playing DE in a 4-3 scheme in this league.
Yep, they aren't full blown NFL DE's. They are labeled 'tweeners' for a reason.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #15
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

I'm sure the Texans fitness coach wouldnt have too much trouble beefing those boys up a little so they can play down on the line.
Old 09-19-2005   #16
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Fair enough. I'll just say that I'm not so sure.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

4-3 defense

DE's - Babin or Peek could possibly play an undersized RE but neither is big enough to play LE. We might pull over one of the DT's to play LE.
DT - We would have a lot of options with Walker, Johnson, Payne and Robaire Smith.
LB - Wong would probably play MLB not LLB in a 4-3, although he could play either. Greenwood be our RLB (weakside).

A scenario
LE - Gary Walker
LT - Robaire Smith
RT - Seth Payne/T. Johnson
RE - Jason Babin/Antwaan Peek
LLB - ? (perhaps someone not on our roster right now)
MLB - Kailee Wong
RLB - M. Greenwood

This isn't ideal personal for the DE and OLB slots, but it would probably be our initial one.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

The 3-4, when properly run with the right personnel, is a very good Defense. The Steelers have been running it forever, drafting for it, and do very well with it. We've been running it 4 years and don’t really have the right people for it. IMO. I'm a 3-4 type guy, but it obviously isn't working here. We're some where in the middle. A few players either way and we would do well. It’s just easier to find players for a 4-3 than a 3-4. But yeah we would need a real 4-3 DE and LLB. We could use Babin and Peek as our rush ends on passing downs, no coverage responsibility.

Quote:
Old 09-19-2005   #19
J-Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
The 3-4, when properly run with the right personnel, is a very good Defense. The Steelers have been running it forever, drafting for it, and do very well with it. We've been running it 4 years and donít really have the right people for it. IMO. I'm a 3-4 type guy, but it obviously isn't working here. We're some where in the middle. A few players either way and we would do well. Itís just easier to find players for a 4-3 than a 3-4. But yeah we would need a real 4-3 DE and LLB. We could use Babin and Peek as our rush ends on passing downs, no coverage responsibility.

Good point...the key there is that teams that have success with the 3-4 have been running it, drafting for it, and developing guys for many years...Steelers and Patriots are the case in point. It was mentioned during the game by the announcers that Cowher was asked about this very point and he said the absolute key is in drafting over time and being able to develop the players in the correct mold. I think we can ID 4 impact defensive players that we really missed the boat on (Sharper, Glenn, Foley, Posey). 3 of the 4 are starting and are significant players for playoff level teams.

PS...if we do switch to the 4-3 (which wouldn't hurt my feelings) then I highly recommend we do a double Ohio State dip with Hawk and Carpenter in the rounds 1 and 2. Heck...I would pick-up either one of those guys even if we don't switch to the 4-3.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Yeah Hawk is a baller. I wouldnt be mad if he wass our #1 pick. The thing about Pit and NE is that they always have young skilled guys replacing veterans. How quickly did Pit forget about Kevin Greene and Greg Loyd? Real fast. Posey seems to playing OLB very well, to bad its not for us.

Quote:

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read