Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2005   #121
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblescds
Dom Capers isnt the guy for the Texans, he is a Loser, and by that I mean he has loser's mentality and it has crept into the mentality of our players. He plays not to lose the game, and not as Herm Edwards says "to win the game!"

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has believes strongly in the psychological component of the Texans' problems. Playing not to lose is what will keep us from ever achieving anything great.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #122
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
...needs to improve accuracy but he can throw the ball 80yds
It just seems like his ball is slow to arive... kinnda floats on him. He is one of my favorite players at the college level and I think he'll be fine in the NFL no matter his possition, I just hope he plays in the one that he will do best in.
Old 09-19-2005   #123
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay so they fire the OC and replace him with the OLC?

Man they are basically handling this position like they did the offensive line.

"oh we weren't able to get the big name, but this guy can play too."
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #124
exclude
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardtexan
If he doesn't simplify the play calling and starts to air it out a little, the fire Pendry threads will be out as soon as the bye week. We are not even going to wait for the first game back to start this.
I'm confused as to what you mean here.

The words "simplying the playcalling" and "air it out" are contradicting statements.

Passing offenses are more complex than runs, primarily since blocking assigments on a pass is generally tougher to establish than on a run.

So if the Texans were to "air it out", the offense would get more complicated.

With Pendry, the offense will be simplified, for sure. Which means more runs, less "airing it out".
exclude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #125
fingers5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefLord
Why not just bring in Jack Pardee - maybe he can set up the Run and SHoot like the good ole Gambler days! God I miss Jim Kelly and his Run and Shoot crew!
Kevin Gilbride could be available at the end of the Hawaii U season
Old 09-19-2005   #126
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers5

Wasn't that June Jones? I thought Gilbride was coaching somewhere in the NFL right now. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 09-19-2005   #127
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

one step forward, two steps back. we're finally making changes ... YaY! now lets see if we can make the RIGHT changes. palmer was the scapegoat and seemed to me atleast to be the only one with anything resembling a clue. pendry will yes maam capers and together they'll run the ball 60 times for 40 yards until pendry is made the next scapegoat (again). capers still sits dumbfounded on the sideline, carr's still running scared, our zone defense is still completely lost, buchannon's still getting roasted, we still have zero pass rush, and our offensive line is still the worst in the league.

my appologies for not dancing with joy.
Old 09-19-2005   #128
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Wasn't that June Jones? I thought Gilbride was coaching somewhere in the NFL right now. Maybe I'm wrong.
You're correct. Kevin is coaching Eli in New Jersey.
Old 09-19-2005   #129
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers5
Yeah and Buddy Ryan is ready to knock that "chuck & duck" guy on his keister again. Why would you want a pass happy guy like Gilbride, when our pass blocking is so bad, we move our ALL PRO receiver into the slot so he might get 5-6 yards? AARGGH! We sign a QB that can get over 3,000 yards, a 1000 yard receiver, and Mathis for his blinding speed to play behind a line that is built for "running". If I was Carr and Johnson, I think I would sit on the bench and say "call us when you get serious".

I have been defending Capers and Palmer til this season. In spring training and the 2 regular games, the offense looked completely lost. That says COACHES to me. I followed the OILERS from the 60's and never turned the dial. Yesterday in the third quarter, I flipped over for a movie. I do not mind losing, but I refuse to watch mediocrity again. We have enough good :brickwall players to at least compete.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #130
CanadianTitansFan
Rookie

Default Cowardly

I wouldn't want to be in a foxhole with Capers and Casserly. Congrats Chuck and Dom you bought yourselves a few weeks but you lost whatever respect anybody had for you in the NFL imo.

I'm no Palmer fan but this is the equivalent of the board of directors firing the warehouse managers after putting them into bankruptcy.

You start from the top down and the Texans are clearly in need of an enema.

The fans of Houston deserve better imo.

Before you have a good starting 22, you don't draft second and 3rd string QB's. Throw your franchise kid to the wolves ruining him, coach scared, give up picks for Jason Babin cauise you believe your one good pass rusher away, you weren't anywhere near a position to give up those picks...

I remember joking w/Vin on anoither board about the Texans drafting a long snapper next...and they DID!

Casserly would resign if he had any honor.
CanadianTitansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #131
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Young will play QB in the NFL. Im sure of it.
No doubt about it. Anyone who says he can't play QB in the NFL either isn't watching him play or is simply a poor judge of talent.

Here is just a snippet of how his BIO reads:

Quote:
in 11 career games versus Top 25 opponents, has completed 104-of-183 passes (56.8%) for 1,318 yards and four TDs, while rushing 166 times for 1,197 yards and 15 TDs Ö in all, has accounted for 2,515 yards of offense and 20 TDs in those 11 games Ö was 148-of-250 (59.2%) for 1,849 yards and 12 TDs while running 167 times for 1,079 yards and 14 TDs in 2004 Ö became the first player in UT history to pass and rush for 1,000+ yards in the same season Ö his 59.2 completion percentage was the best-ever by a UT sophomore Ö
Young's Bio Link

Read it and weep---the guy is a flat out phenomenon.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #132
touttail
All Pro

Dom Capers here, can you spell "PALMER" so I can write in in my little notepad.

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #133
COOL V
Rookie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Palmer isn't/wasn't the only thing wrong with this team. We still have Capers, Casserly, and Fangio. I hope Bob Mcnair can see this as a first step to greatness. Fire the three mentioned above and we're in!!! I hope Palmer wasn't fired to just buy more time for Capers.
COOL V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #134
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think this is going to help them at all. I think they have 2 main problems: Casserly and Capers.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #135
TexansMVP
Probowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
I don't think this is going to help them at all. I think they have 2 main problems: Casserly and Capers.
I completely agree. Even w/ a new coordinator, the puppet master will still be able to pull his strings. When will the madness end. :brickwall
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #136
Dubble Trubble
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOL V
I hope Palmer wasn't fired to just buy more time for Capers.
When it's the HC that needs to be fired...but, they chop off the Off.Coord. first....that's exactly what is happening.

A couple of more offensive performances like that....and, Capers is on his way.

See sig.....Step #1 is complete.

Now, the New Era begins.
Dubble Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #137
TexansRoll
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubble Trubble
When it's the HC that needs to be fired...but, they chop off the Off.Coord. first....that's exactly what is happening.

A couple of more offensive performances like that....and, Capers is on his way.

See sig.....Step #1 is complete.

Hell yeah!!
TexansRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #138
ROYDESTROY
Rookie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato
Just saw in the Houston Chronicle that the Texans offensive co-ordinator has been fired. The story wasn't complete with details but it looks like changes are a comin'!

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3359967
First smart move the Texans have made in awhile..Next...Capers & Casserly
Old 09-19-2005   #139
Mr Shush
Veteran

I have my doubts about Capers, but I still like Casserly. He hits on far more draft picks than he misses, which is more than can be said for the majority of personnel guys and GMs. His prominent busts have been down to injury rather than lack of talent. The poor O-line play is down to coaching, not the front office - the best O-line coaches will get solid play out of damn near any old scrubs. And before you say "So why promote Pendry?", he clearly had to go with the guy his head coach wanted, and it had to be a promotion from within. We'll go 6-10 or 7-9 (unless Carr goes down for the season and Ragone either plays like a decent back-up - likely, and leading to 4-12 - or becomes the second coming of Warner - unlikely, and leading to 10-6). Remember that we've just played two of the toughest games on our schedule, with the '9ers, Browns and Titans twice still to come, and some other winnable games too. It's only Week 3, people.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #140
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

The following is from the Texan's Web Site:

"This is Pendry's 19th NFL season and second in Houston. He previously served as offensive coordinator under Capers with the Panthers from 1995-97. Carolina posted a 27-23 record with one NFC Championship Game appearance over those three seasons.

Pendry then matriculated to Buffalo, where he served as offensive coordinator for three seasons, helping the Bills average 2,041 rushing yards per season. Pendry was also Kansas City's offensive coordinator from 1989-92, helping the Chiefs reach the playoffs in three of those four seasons.

Pendry said Monday that he will stay on the sidelines as coordinator.

"I feel more comfortable," he said. "Iíve called plays for a long time in this league as a coordinator down through the years. The only time I didnít is when Dom and I were together at Carolina. Iíll be very honest with you. My personality, if Iím up in a press box, I get too excited. I scream and I yell. I can be on the sideline and I can see it. I have a better feel.

"We have an outstanding press box guy in (wide receivers coach) Kippy Brown. Heíll be my eyes there upstairs. Itís just my personality. Iím much better down there where I can see it. I have a better feel for it. Thatís the way Iíve always felt Iíve been more successful as a play caller."

All you have to do is look at what he did at Buffalo and probably KC. Do you think we are going to pass the ball and utilize our receivers. I don't think so. Looks like more of the same or even worse. This is Caper's right hand boy and he has done an amazing job with the O-line. He's done so well we are the talk of the league. I can't believe that McNair can stand around with his hands in his pocket allowing this nonsense to go on. It's shameful. This has been in the works for awhile because they blocked his interviews with other teams. Good gravely please let some other team take him away from us now. I mean may be we could pay the other team a handsome reward. I HAVE NO CONIFEDENCE IN THIS MAN AT ALL.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read