Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2005   #61
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

don't let the door hit you on your way out
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #62
playoff year please
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
21 run salute-----

Nope, just 1st down run, 2nd down run, 3rd down scramble, and 4th down punt.

bobby 119C :brickwall
Lets be safe....Throwing could be intercepted, and we don't want turnovers....Lets 1st run 2nd run 3rd punt. This way our punter has a run option, then if he runs we can punt on 4th.
playoff year please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #63
BlueBull40oz
waterboy

I dont think this was the answer.
Ive heard Palmer wanted to be more aggressive, but was forced to conform to Capers "ball control" type offense. I thought the offense should take more chances, and not rely so heavily on the running game to open up the passing game so much.

Since the game was such a blow out I listened to 790am yesterday.
The national media was reporting:
David Carr is on the hot seat!!!
"The Texans are getting WORSE and not better"
BlueBull40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #64
playoff year please
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBull40oz
Ive heard Palmer wanted to be more aggressive, but was forced to conform to Capers "ball control" type offense. I thought the offense should take more chances, and not rely so heavily on the running game to open up the passing game so much.

Since the game was such a blow out I listened to 790am yesterday.
The national media was reporting:
David Carr is on the hot seat!!!
"The Texans are getting WORSE and not better"
So true. The Texans move the ball more when they throw on first down. IMO. The reports were that Palmer was doing what he was told to do by Capers.
Old 09-19-2005   #65
BREAZE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBull40oz

Guys, its a message...not the answer.
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #66
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREAZE
so true. wonder who gets the next "message???"
Old 09-19-2005   #67
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default Caper Change Offensive Philosophy??

This I've got to see! Pendry was fired by Capers at Carolina for being conservative and unimaginative, just like the Texans offense. Two different OC, same HC-guess who really ran/runs these offenses?? Too, both Palmer and Pendry have been sucessful OC's under other head coaches, where they actually functioned as the OC. I don't know who replaced Pendry at Carolina but he obviously didn't work out since Capers was fired at the end of that season.

Now, here's the good part--either Capers swallows a big chunk of ego and lets Pendry really be the OC or he will be 'outta here.'...stay tuned!!

Last edited by tsip; 09-19-2005 at 12:41 PM.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2005   #68
BREAZE
Veteran

The more you start to chew on this the funnier it gets. I love McNair...he is a savy as they come! What a message!

I would be suprised if both Capers and Pendry make it to season's end though.

Last edited by BREAZE; 09-19-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2005   #69
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREAZE

Yeah, but "the message" tells me that Bob McNair doesn't even understand where the problem is much less how to fix it. There have been few things in our teams short history that I found less comforting than watching them pretend that getting rid of Chris Palmer was the right thing to do.

I'm as disgusted today as I was last week when they lost to Buffalo. I didn't get disgusted yesterday at the game no matter how much I tried. I just couldn't muster up the necessary emotion to do so.
Old 09-19-2005   #70
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

bout damn time!!! Definitely a message, no answer!!
Old 09-19-2005   #71
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Yeah, but "the message" tells me that Bob McNair doesn't even understand where the problem is much less how to fix it. There have been few things in our teams short history that I found less comforting than watching them pretend that getting rid of Chris Palmer was the right thing to do.

I'm as disgusted today as I was last week when they lost to Buffalo. I didn't get disgusted yesterday at the game no matter how much I tried. I just couldn't muster up the necessary emotion to do so.
so McNair should of done nothing. Just let us field the poor excuse for a team the remainder of the season....
right?
Old 09-19-2005   #72
BREAZE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Yea, the outcome was a lot like the playcalling...
Old 09-19-2005   #73
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

There's something at the heart of all this that really pains me to think about. This organization (the Texans) is perhaps deeply flawed at its very core. When a head coach is not allowed to choose his own offensive coordinator at the outset, one who reflects his own philosophy, the team is ultimately doomed to suffer this kind of result. A conservative system can work brilliantly if you have the proper personnel and adhere to the philosophy from start to finish. An aggressive, wide open attack can work brilliantly if you have the proper personnel and adhere to the philosophy from start to finish. But to put a head coach with a conservative mindset together with an offensive coordinator with the opposite mindset, you are condemning that organization to failure. I think very highly of Charley Casserly, but I feel he should have allowed Capers to hire his own guy from the beginning.....
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #74
Texans 533

Default Palmer Fired?!?

Just heard (here at work) that Palmer's been fired.... can anyone confirm??
Old 09-19-2005   #75
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

yep, go to the Bull Pen for more details and news article links.
Old 09-19-2005   #76
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
so McNair should of done nothing. Just let us field the poor excuse for a team the remainder of the season....
right?

McNair should have sent Capers packing, let Palmer run it on an interim basis for the rest of the season, and then decided which direction to go at the end of the year. We've seen three whole seasons of Dom-Ball. They told us it was our limited expansion playbook but it was really what our offense was supposed to be all along.

Bring on the losing streak. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson in Batman; "This team needs an enema!"
Old 09-19-2005   #77
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans 533
Just heard (here at work) that Palmer's been fired.... can anyone confirm??
Wrong Board for this post
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #78
DefLord
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to DefLord

Why not just bring in Jack Pardee - maybe he can set up the Run and SHoot like the good ole Gambler days! God I miss Jim Kelly and his Run and Shoot crew!
Old 09-19-2005   #79
playoff year please
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefLord
Why not just bring in Jack Pardee - maybe he can set up the Run and SHoot like the good ole Gambler days! God I miss Jim Kelly and his Run and Shoot crew!
As long as your not woried about clock management. Run and shoot would work with Carr and Davis. Our receivers, backs and quarterback are made for run and shoot.
Old 09-19-2005   #80
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

bottom line Palmer was frustrated with Carr and the offensive inability to exacute his game planning. its much easier to replace the offensive cordinator than the franchise QB. I saw the shot gun offense several times, which I like with Carr (gives him time to read the defense better & OL to create the protection) but he refused to stay in the pocket or step up into the hole his linemen created to complete the play. for this Palmer gets the ax
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read