Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2005   #1
Honch Delgado
Veteran

Default Palmer could be gone by this week

Good article in the Chronicle hinting Palmers days could come to an end:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3359465

Could it come any sooner?
Honch Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #2
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

I'll believe it when I see it. Sounds like a bunch of lip service to me.

"We'll evaluate everything and do whatever we think we need to do to play better. You're limited to what your options are. Whatever you do, you should make sure it's going to have a good chance of improving the team. If it doesn't improve the team, there's no need doing it."

This is what really stood out to me. Blah blah blah... bunch of talk. Capers will have Palmer go sit in the corner for a week and make him think about how bad he was.
Old 09-19-2005   #3
Elite
Veteran

Thats Bull Defacation i wont more people gone.

Last edited by Elite; 09-19-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #4
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

"After Sunday's 27-7 loss to the Steelers, Texans coach Dom Capers declined to respond to sources who claim he plans to demote offensive coordinator Chris Palmer and give the play-calling duties to offensive line coach Joe Pendry."

Joe Pendry as offensive coordinator sounds scarier than Palmer IMO. Why give the Oline coach the job as OC, WTF is going on in H-town?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #5
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Usually the O Line coaches are the most knowlegable coaches on staff. Hopefully NFL coaches know total gameplans of running and passing. I dont know much about Pendry but I know that he cant do much worse than what Palmer has been doing.
My question is this... does Dam Capers override Chris Palmer? I mean, Palmer is known as a pass happy, open up the field coach. Dom Capers is known as a smash mouth run the ball down your throat coach. Whoever it is deciding to run run pass is the guy that needs to go. Or maybe we just go with a total regime change... top to bottom.
Old 09-19-2005   #6
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish it was Capers. If Palmer does get fired it will be Pendry replacing him and I'm not sure that is an upgrade. I think Capers, Fangio, and Palmer should all hit the road. Give the job to Hoke for the rest of the season. You can replace the oc and dc all you want but Capers will always have whoever is there under his conservative thumb. He is the one that needs to go if only one head is rolling.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #7
pek281
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 pek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden cover

I can see an article like this from Lopez. But McClain? I wouldn't expect reporting like this of McClain.
pek281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2005   #8
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope something is done for the rest of the season and then they can find a quality replacement. I don't think anyone should be safe right now including Capers.

David needs some help out there as no QB could work in those conditions. It seems the Texans have lost him. He has shown he has a can of quit in him and it is not pretty for a pretty boy. If he hasn't lost the team by now he will be lucky.
Old 09-19-2005   #9
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default my thoughts

Let me make sure I understand this thinking correctly. First, Pendry was the OC at Carolina when Capers was the HC. Second, things were not going very well (similar to our current offensive situation?) so the owner forced Capers to fire Pendry. Third, Capers is fired at the end of that season by Carolina. Now, the thinking is that Pendry is going to replace Palmer. Deja Vu. This duo of Pendry and Capers didn't work before, so why would it now?

I've said it before and I'll say it again-Capers is the problem. He is a micro-manager, which means he wants his hands on everything. His coaches are on a very short leash with respect to their decision making. This is especially true with the OC. Palmer may call the plays but you can bet his selection is from a short list approved by Capers. Capers is not going to change because-first-he'd have to admit that he is a (big) part of the problem, and he doesn't believe that. Read his interviews--ever hear him accept blame?

IMO, as long as Capers is here, the problems will exist. He has built a system that-to succeed-relies on perfection from every player, which means one bad play destroys everything. That is what we are seeing on the field right now, a lot of 'little' failed executions that result in confusion/penalties/turn overs/wrong reads/wrong routes, etc. etc. What we need now more than anything is a system that is based on the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)
method, where everyone is 'on the same page/knows their role' and work that role to perfection. Two examples of this are Pitts running attack that everyone knows is coming but they still work to perfection and succeed with and the pitch/sweep/run play that the Packers are known for. IMO, our system is so confusing/complicated that the players--more often than not--are placed in a no win situation. I hope I'm wrong-but as the Panthers found out-replacing the OC didn't work.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #10
NativeJPR
Rookie

Default start over

talk about needing to grab the bull by the horns and take control this is a train wreck from hell or is just a bit or de ja vu from love ya blue Is Bob McNair going to continue to let Charley Casserly and his staff of nit wits embarrass this city and the team he has spent so much money and time on A change needs to be made and it is obvious it can't wait until the off season it needs to happen now with our bye week coming up I've heard how we just played the #1 & #2 defense in the NFL wait a minute I thought the Texans were in the NFL WHY DON'T WE HAVE THE #1 or #2 DEFENSE because of BAD COACHING GET RID OF THEM ALL lets go see if we can get Gary Kubiak away from Denver and get something positive started
NativeJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #11
touttail
All Pro

I hope this is true and I'm not getting my hopes up.

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #12
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

So what would Palmer be demoted to? Waterboy?
Old 09-19-2005   #13
Rightnow
Veteran

Before we uncork the champagne if Palmer gets canned remember that Capers will dictate the offense into the most conservative possible style. Instead of run-run-pass-punt it will be run-run-run-punt.

The good news is that Carr wont' be sacked much as he will just hand the ball off 52 times a game.

I think Palmer should stay, Capers should go. (I can't believe I just defended Palmer a little.)

Capers wants the Texans to be the Steelers. Guess what buddy? They aren't! We don't have the personnel for that, we have to adapt to what we have. Capers won't! He will try play action pass until the cows come home, have dinner and go out drinking.
Old 09-19-2005   #14
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me make sure I understand this thinking correctly. First, Pendry was the OC at Carolina when Capers was the HC. Second, things were not going very well (similar to our current offensive situation?) so the owner forced Capers to fire Pendry. Third, Capers is fired at the end of that season by Carolina. Now, the thinking is that Pendry is going to replace Palmer. Deja Vu. This duo of Pendry and Capers didn't work before, so why would it now?
His OC was Palmer not Pendry. But that duo didn't work before, and it's not working now.
Old 09-19-2005   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
Joe Pendry as offensive coordinator sounds scarier than Palmer IMO. Why give the Oline coach the job as OC, WTF is going on in H-town?
It said that Pendry was his OC in Carolina the first few years. I don't really think our offense could be much worse than it has been there first two weeks. At least we were able to throw downfield this week.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #16
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His OC was Palmer not Pendry. But that duo didn't work before, and it's not working now
My bad, it was Pendry.
Old 09-19-2005   #17
afanwithaplan
Rookie

Default You gotta be kidding me

So they would replace Palmer with the Offense Line coach. Is this the same line coach
whose line allowed 8 sacks yesterday? Great thinking Capers, do this and you actually
increase the chance that Casserly will be gone with you at mid season.

:brickwall
afanwithaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #18
William.carter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afanwithaplan
So they would replace Palmer with the Offense Line coach. Is this the same line coach
whose line allowed 8 sacks yesterday? Great thinking Capers, do this and you actually
increase the chance that Casserly will be gone with you at mid season.

:brickwall
Carr walked right into a few of those sacks. And being run out of bounds behind the LOS counts as a sack too. he had two of those yesterday. If you're going to blame the Oline, at least blame them for what they did wrong, not everything on the stat sheet.
William.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #19
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by afanwithaplan
whose line allowed 8 sacks yesterday?
Simply genius. The scrambling has begun and no one's job is safe.

Carr will be the next casualty. Look for Ragone to get a lot more reps in practice over the next few weeks.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #20
afanwithaplan
Rookie

So, Carr just decided to run out of bounds? Or maybe someone that was not blocked by
offensive line chased him out... Did you watch the game... Carr was getting smoked all day
and the only way Davis could run was when the formation set up 3 wide... Having said that,
I don't get paid the big bucks to figure out the problem. I am just a fan that sees them.
afanwithaplan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read