Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2005   #81
TxDavid
Go Coogs!

Rep Power: 1257 TxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm up in 546 (the shaded side) and I was fine up there. I did venture down in mid third quarter to visit some friends and stayed awhile since there were tons of empty seats due to the heat - unbeknownst to me because I was up in A/C land.. I stayed in the BullPen for the entire 4th quarter.

By the time I left the stadium I started to suffer from heat exhaustion. I drank 3 bottles of water when I got back to the tailgate and stoped to eat on the way home. AND THIS WAS ONLY ONE QUARTER OF SUN/HEAT EXPOSURE!!!!

The reason for the retractable roof was for the fans - not for the team. It's our stadium - we paid for it. Close the roof when it's dangerously hot! Use some sense!
TxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #82
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 56442 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
"We receive complaints when the roof is open, and we also receive complaints when the roof is closed," said Tony Wyllie, the Texans vice president of communications. "Moving forward, we will consider the fans' comfort when deciding whether the roof will be open or closed."
As I mentioned before, when then Enron Field opened in 2000, there was a lot of talk about the roof, the same as we have here. The Astros have simply decided, when it's hot or it's raining, the roof is closed. When the weather is nice, roof open. Sure, the complaints continued for awhile, but now you never hear anyone talking about the roof at MMP.

The Texans just need to do this as well. They'll get complaints for awhile from those "football was meant to be outdoors" people, but it will go away if you stick with it.

HOT OR RAIN = ROOF CLOSED
EVERYTHING ELSE = ROOF OPEN
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #83
TxDavid
Go Coogs!

Rep Power: 1257 TxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy

HOT OR RAIN = ROOF CLOSED
EVERYTHING ELSE = ROOF OPEN
[/b]
So we can leave it open when it snows? Excellent!
TxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #84
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDavid
So we can leave it open when it snows? Excellent!
LOL, and we all know how often it snows here. But yes, if it snows on game day, leave the dang roof open. The flakes coming from the sky will be more entertaining....
Old 09-20-2005   #85
Bob_A
Rookie

Hey, it snowed last Christmas Eve and we play this Christmas Eve Day. You never know!!
Old 09-20-2005   #86
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
I've said in a previous post that I thought we should bake the Steelers and get a real home field advantage by opening the roof.

I was wrong. I wonder if John McClain of the Chronicle who has expressed a similar opinion will admit it too. (He prolly has no idea how bad it was given his spot in the press box). I find him very entertaining, but it is hard to get a home field advantage when a lot of your fans are unable to sit in a packed stadium baking in the sun--it is not a matter of being wusses, it is metric death hot there.

The Bull Pen end of the field is solid but even so, I've never seen it so empty on that side of the field. If they have to get in the shade (or just leave), it is just dangerous.

With the closed in, up and down nature of the stadium, there is no breeze. At all. It was seriously dangerous to be in there.

And it was interesting to see that the September shadows don't help the Texans at all. Never saw those before so I dint know the sun angle. (The sun was on both teams equally, later in the year, it only goes to the visitor's side). I am sure the Texans staff knew that stuff, but I guess they wanted to try to use the weather to help us.

I was seated in the shade and it was hotter than heck. I've been in the sun at Reliant before but I bet this was the worst ever by far for baking.

It is a football game. We want to win. That being said, we shouldn't have to worry about fans getting ill. In the winter you can put more clothes on, but there is only so much you can take off, and it is still hot.
I agree with you. I was all for leaving the roof open w/ the steelers being in black and Texans in white. I thought it was a good idea in theory. I guess it didn't work in reality. It sounds way way too hot.

I would rather have the fans into the game, than the heat.

Hard for me to relate, I haven't been in the Texas summer heat for 3 years, it is sunny and 70 degrees every day where I live, when it gets into the 80's I think it is too hot now (Sad i know).
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005   #87
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The reason for the retractable roof was for the fans - not for the team

The reason for a roof at all is because the HLSR Demanded it or they would find a different place to put the rodeo and thier money, ( which is gold in Houston)
Old 09-27-2005   #88
Historyhorn
Veteran

Rep Power: 39 Historyhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I too heard that the reason for the roof is the rodeo. The roof does give you the opportunity for the best of both worlds. Quasi-outdoor football when the weather is nice and protection from dangerous elements when it is not.

As to the whole advantage thing....If you have a better team, you can usually outplay and wear the opposition down regardless of what jersey they wear and where they come from geographically. The thing that makes the home-field advatage is the noise and energy from the fans in addition to not having the travel hassels.

I'm in the corner of leaving the roof closed if the weather is not pleasant. Open it up if it is nice outside.

Go Texans
Historyhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005   #89
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historyhorn
I too heard that the reason for the roof is the rodeo.
The Houston Rodeo is the main tenant of the stadium, and built for them and their needs..
the Texans are secondary. That is why you aren't looking at a 'football' stadium at Reliant.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005   #90
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyTexan
The Houston Rodeo is the main tenant of the stadium, and built for them and their needs..
the Texans are secondary. That is why you aren't looking at a 'football' stadium at Reliant.
hmmmmm, I've always been under the impression that engineers built the stadium to maximize enjoyment of both football and rodeo events. Even in all the media hoopla, it was advertised as such...being a "state-of-the-art" football stadium complex and all. Is all that only marketing?

What would be the difference of a "pure" football stadium and Reliant? Outside of the retractable roof part of the deal, it seems to me that the seating is excellent for football. It's even advertised as having the closest spectator-to-action ratio of any of the current stadiums.

I'm not disputing what you're saying, as I have no doubt that the rodeo is the biggest tenant, just judging by events alone (like three weeks of rodeo vs. 10 Texans football games).

I'm just curious what details we are missing out on that other "pure" football stadiums enjoy (other than any kind of natural wind draft ).
Old 09-27-2005   #91
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

My guess is no better than yours as to what would be if we had a FOOTBALL ONLY stadium in Houston, but to listen to everyone and their thoughts on the 'hole in the roof' .. seems like many would like this:

But the new and future stadiums around the league seem to have their sights on looking more like Reliant, with the similar retractable roof..
and they don't have rodeos to dictate the design.

JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #92
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 353149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I hope everyone that whined about the Pittsburgh game is happy. We are now an indoor stadium team...to the extent you call what they field a team. If we had won against Pittsburgh y'all all would have been so proud of contributing to homefield advantage. Instead, we can't enjoy beautiful fall days, flyovers or anything prior to the "team" taking the field because of some folks who just figured out they live in Texas. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2005   #93
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Well I hope everyone that whined about the Pittsburgh game is happy. We are now an indoor stadium team...to the extent you call what they field a team. If we had won against Pittsburgh y'all all would have been so proud of contributing to homefield advantage. Instead, we can't enjoy beautiful fall days, flyovers or anything prior to the "team" taking the field because of some folks who just figured out they live in Texas. Thanks.
I think the real sad part about this is that not only are the Texans clueless where football matters are concerned but they're also incapable of telling the difference between the weather today (great time to open the roof) and the weather during the Pittsburgh game (How do you like your fans? Medium Rare sound good?)
Old 10-09-2005   #94
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I guess the bright side of it is that our crowd noise can be a homefield advantage (and it's louder with the roof closed)...of course, Texans have to give us something to cheer about first...

But today would have been perfect for an open roof. Too bad.
Old 10-10-2005   #95
lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMBH
I don't get the logic. The Texans are on the field, too. Certainly a white jersey can't make that much of a difference. What are the plans when the Colts and Jags come to town, close the roof and turn the thermostate up to 100?
the "logic" was mcnair pockets the $ from not turrning on the AC.
Old 10-10-2005   #96
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

when it rains it pours the Texans cannot even get the roof opened or closed right :brickwall
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #97
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I think the real sad part about this is that not only are the Texans clueless where football matters are concerned but they're also incapable of telling the difference between the weather today (great time to open the roof) and the weather during the Pittsburgh game (How do you like your fans? Medium Rare sound good?)
They should have shut the roof for Pittsburg....all week we knew it was going to be hot as heck and even the coaches were talking about it (why this was in the hands of Capers to start with was ridiculous). Closing the roof Sunday was sheer overreaction from the Texans since it was a beautiful day. We can't trust them to make good decisions in year four for some reason. It's just amazing.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #98
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Well I hope everyone that whined about the Pittsburgh game is happy.
I know I'm happy! In this instance, if a mistake is going to be made, I would rather error on the side of caution. I would rather miss a beautiful day under a roof then jeopardize someone’s health. Having people carted out on a stretcher is not a good thing.

Having said that, I would have preferred to have the roof open yesterday as well.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #99
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 926 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=infantrycak]Well I hope everyone that whined about the Pittsburgh game is happy. We are now an indoor stadium team...

Didn't all PSL owners get a letter stating they were sorry about the Pittsburg game and in the future The roof will be closed for ALL home games?
Not that I agree, (I don't) But it's gonna be hard to satisfy most people now!
JMO
Old 10-10-2005   #100
TexansFan99
Rookie

I dug up the letter we got. It said "Specifically, when the game day forecast calls for sunny skies and temperatures in the mid-80s or higher, the roof will likely be closed for the game".

The actual temperature yesterday was in the low-80s. But, I don't want to nitpick the Texans about the roof...they have other problems....
TexansFan99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read