Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2005   #41
Sco-tai
Veteran

Cool Embarrased

I'm gonna step on some toes by saying this...but I was embarrased to be a TEXAN FAN yesterday. And NOT because of the team. The FANS sound like a bunch of babies. It's too hot...it's too hot, close the roof. And all of the EMPTY ROWS OF SEATS all surrounding me...UNTIL the shade made it to our section. My friend came to his 1st Texan game yesterday (just moved here from Wisconsin) and he couldn't get over the crowds reaction. He's a season ticket holder for the PACKERS and he said he has NEVER seen their fans complain like that for any reason...even when the team was HORRIBLE. This coming from a football fan who sits in BELOW ZERO weather with snow & sleet pelting him the entire time. THIS IS FOOTBALL PEOPLE. NOT BOWLING. If you want air conditioning and "perfect conditions" then maybe you need to get Rockets tickets. You all sound like a bunch of spoiled babies.

A MIST MACHINE...?! Give me a break. Want someone to come rub your feet, too?

Look...it's called "be prepared". I didn't bring my 2 year old nephew because babies/toddlers can't tolerate weather extremes like an adult can. And if you are afraid of passing out from being dehydrated, drink some Pedialyte or pickle juice before the game. You WILL NOT be dehydrated.

And I notice many of those whinning about the roof are the same people who call for Dom Caper's head. I think some people are just looking for reasons to complain.

Bob McNair has an excellent organization with an excellent stadium. He worked dilligently to help us beat LA for the franchise. And all you people can do is find reasons to complain. This is the same attitude that facilitated the OILERS leaving (besides Bud being an *****).

In the words of my friend from Wisconsin "You guys should just be grateful you have a team". :brickwall

I'm out like Chris Palmer's NFL coaching career.
Sco-tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #42
BattleRedGuy
Rookie

You can count me in amongst those that had a problem yesterday. The team lost a lot of the good will built up over the past three seasons. Not only with the roof open with a 100 degree plus heat index, but the team performance. I love to have the roof open as much as possible but yesterday was an exception.

How many people know that to be truly hydrated, you need to start 2-3 days ahead of time? You don't just guzzle two glasses of water before the game and your magically hydrated.

If you knew the roof was open, why not provide more water at the concessions.

I would also like to know how often the team has been practicing outdoors vs. the bubble.

Sorry for being a bit off the cuff. I'm just terribly disappointed with the whole thing Sunday.
BattleRedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #43
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco-tai
I'm gonna step on some toes by saying this...but I was embarrased to be a TEXAN FAN yesterday. And NOT because of the team. The FANS sound like a bunch of babies. It's too hot...it's too hot, close the roof.
Have you even read the comments? People were in need of medical attention. So maybe it's a little more serious than your willing to give credit for.
Old 09-19-2005   #44
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

I too prefer to watch the games outdoors regardless of the elements. And if the Texans had built a true open air stadium, I doubt you'd see as much complaining. But Reliant is not an open air stadium when the roof is open.

A big part of the reason McNair has a team is the support he gets from those well over 30 years of age and might have a problem or two healthwise because of the excessive heat. So do you think it would benefit him and his organization to pay attention to what they have to say?

Dropping down that much money to attend a football game only to be concerned about your healt simply because they won't close the roof is absurd. Anything else is unacceptable.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #45
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
Have you even read the comments? People were in need of medical attention. So maybe it's a little more serious than your willing to give credit for.
Despite my hydration, youth, and decent physical shape, I had a few scares where I had to sit down (a few times when I was yelling hard [not for a win, but some some glimmer of hope for the rest of the season]). I got really dizzy and came close to passing out.

We took frequent shade breaks, and bought several waters (no beer, a first for me!).

We decided it was doable (part of the Bullpen). But, if the heat has that affect on healthy 20 somethings, what about the children and the older crowd?!?!

We have a closable roof, use it.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #46
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
BTW: This game was no hotter than the Raider game last year, or the Jags game the year before.
I don't know SheTexan, It was the lack of air movement(flags on goals post not moving), or the humidity. I was not as hot at either of those games as I was Sunday.

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #47
bawlmer-hon
Rookie

Reliant Stadium was not built as an open-air stadium. It is absolutely ludicrous to have fans sit for 3 hours in direct sunlight and 100 degree temperature when there is an option to block out the sun by closing the roof. The person that says he is embarrassed by the whining was probably sitting in the shade or maybe not even at the game. If that person was at the game in the direct sun (for the entire game), than he is much better than I to deal with those conditions. The players are better prepared and better protected from the sun and the heat (and of course better paid). Had the stadium been designed as an open-air stadium, the conditions would not have been nearly as brutal, plus there would be no options, so nothing to wonder about. I spent 3+ hours in direct sunlight yesterday and sweated off all my sun-block, so now I have sun-burnt skin to deal with. I can deal with a lot when it is necessary, but it makes no sense to put up with extreme conditions when there is a simple alternative.
bawlmer-hon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2005   #48
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm gonna step on some toes by saying this...but I was embarrased to be a TEXAN FAN yesterday. And NOT because of the team. The FANS sound like a bunch of babies. It's too hot...it's too hot, close the roof. And all of the EMPTY ROWS OF SEATS all surrounding me...UNTIL the shade made it to our section. My friend came to his 1st Texan game yesterday (just moved here from Wisconsin) and he couldn't get over the crowds reaction. He's a season ticket holder for the PACKERS and he said he has NEVER seen their fans complain like that for any reason...even when the team was HORRIBLE. This coming from a football fan who sits in BELOW ZERO weather with snow & sleet pelting him the entire time. THIS IS FOOTBALL PEOPLE. NOT BOWLING. If you want air conditioning and "perfect conditions" then maybe you need to get Rockets tickets. You all sound like a bunch of spoiled babies.
While I agree with the attitude behind your post (and the fact that you folks do realize that all Green Bay, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadephia, Cincinatti, New England, New York, and Buffalo fans reading this thread now think we're a bunch of wimps, especially when they play outdoors regardless of weather conditions. )...[disclaimer: I mean absolutely no disrespect, and I feel for those with medical conditions.]

You have to remember that Houston is a different type of sports fan. We built the first dome stadium because of mosquitoes....and maybe the humidity...but I've always heard mosquitoes-reasoning ever since I was a kid.

So northern fans are more hardcore, for the most part, than Houston fans (we are much more fickle and sensitive to losing, too).

Ah well.

I understand that's just the way it is down here, so I sincerely hope the Texans front office takes notice and keeps the roof closed at 80 degrees+ days and puts the thermostat on 72 inside the stadium.

That, and spray for those pesky mosquitoes!
Old 09-19-2005   #49
touttail
All Pro

Quote:

I can understand what you are saying about other fans. If we had a total open air stadium, then we would have a choice but to suck it up. That's not the case, we have an option of an open or closed stadium. It's not fun when you can't even sit back in you seat for burning and blistering your back, when this could have been avoided.

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #50
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I don't give a "care" about what the people up North think. I do care about LMBH's health, and sitting in a situation that has the potential to be deadly, (you do know that people in Texas die yearly from heat related illnesses) has no value in proving what kind of fan a person is.

So far, I haven't been in any type of cold weather that I have not been able to dress for the occasion and weather the storm. In cold weather, you can prepare, in rain, you can get drenched and still have a great time, but heat, you can die even if you have stripped down as far as you can without being charged with public lewdness.

I can take a certain amount of discomfort, which is why I was prepared to stand up in the food court area the entire game if necessary.

BTW, IMO, yesterday's temperature was worse than the two previous years. Even though it was miserable then, it was unbelievable on yesterday the number of people whose clothing looked as though they had just taken a dip in a swimming pool, and the looks on some of the faces that indicated they had some health issues.
StarStruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #51
gwallaia

Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm gonna step on some toes by saying this...but I was embarrased to be a TEXAN FAN yesterday. And NOT because of the team. The FANS sound like a bunch of babies. It's too hot...it's too hot, close the roof. And all of the EMPTY ROWS OF SEATS all surrounding me...UNTIL the shade made it to our section. My friend came to his 1st Texan game yesterday (just moved here from Wisconsin) and he couldn't get over the crowds reaction. He's a season ticket holder for the PACKERS and he said he has NEVER seen their fans complain like that for any reason...even when the team was HORRIBLE. This coming from a football fan who sits in BELOW ZERO weather with snow & sleet pelting him the entire time.
The thermomter reaches 130 degrees in the Bull Pen. I've been in below zero conditions and I think 130 degrees is worse.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #52
TexansFan99
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
The thermomter reaches 130 degrees in the Bull Pen. I've been in below zero conditions and I think 130 degrees is worse.
I agree. Being from NY, I have attended NY Giants games in cold, snowy, windy conditions. But, the heat yesterday at the Texans game was alot worst.
TexansFan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #53
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree. It was hot. I think the roof should have been closed.

Our seats were in the direct sun for all of the first quarter and half of the second. It was miserable. However, once we were under the shade, it really wasn't so bad. That being said, I know a considerable number of seats were in direct sunlight throughout the game and I imagine that it was nearly unbearable. I don't know if I could have stayed for the entire game if we hadn't gotten shade during Q2.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #54
bawlmer-hon
Rookie

Default close the roof in egg frying weather

Could not agree more. My seats were in the sun for entire game. Roof should have been closed... no ifs, ands, or buts. That is why the stadium has a roof.

Last edited by bawlmer-hon; 09-19-2005 at 02:49 PM. Reason: add comment
bawlmer-hon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #55
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 57661 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why we are still having roof discussions every week here. You don't ever hear about the roof at Minute Maid Park any more. When it's hot or raining, roof closed. When the weather's nice roof open. END OF STORY!!
I do not understand why the Texans have not been able to grasp this concept going into their 4th year.

I was also one who was in the sun the entire game. Usually I'm yelling, screaming and cheering throughout the game. But the Texans took me out of the game with the stupid decision to leave the roof open. Constantly wiping sweat out my eyes and off my face, burning my back every time I sat back in my seat, don't dare touch anything around you or you'll get burned, sunburn, all of it was absolutely ridiculous. With the sun taking the Texan fans out of the game, it may as well have been a Steeler HOME game.

Now, I'm not one to whine about it. No, I DON'T like the heat. And if they never close the roof, I'll still be there trying to cheer while wiping sweat. The problem is, other than the health issues, you're taking Texan fans out of their seats. Less fans in the seats is less of a home field advantage, IMO.

So let's review.

HOT AND RAIN = ROOF CLOSED
EVERYTHING ELSE = ROOF OPEN

Pretty simple. The Astros get it.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #56
Bear
Rookie

My seats are on the home side and I was burnt by the start of the 2nd. We were all soaking in our own sweat from head to toe. For the 1st time ever, I didn't want a beer at the game; only wanted/needed water.

I have no problem with the roof open after daylight savings time (Oct 30)! By kickoff, everyone on the home side is chillin' in the shade
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #57
codymeredith
Rookie

Iím sure everyone can agree that it was definitely a very hot day at the game.

The Texans made a poor decision they felt would give them home field advantage. Would this topic be as big if we would have won? What if it had been obvious that the Steelers were worn down from the heat?

All of you are acting like they realized how dangerous it was for all the fans during the game but still decided to do nothing about it. Once the decision about whether or not the roof is going to be open has been made the only way that can be changed is by the officiating crew on the field. At kickoff the decision about what happens with the roof is completely out of the Texans hands.

Last edited by codymeredith; 09-19-2005 at 05:06 PM.
codymeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #58
skibumtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMBH
So far, I haven't been in any type of cold weather that I have not been able to dress for the occasion and weather the storm. In cold weather, you can prepare, in rain, you can get drenched and still have a great time, but heat, you can die even if you have stripped down as far as you can without being charged with public lewdness.

I can take a certain amount of discomfort, which is why I was prepared to stand up in the food court area the entire game if necessary.
Excellent point. I'm from Minnesota and with today's clothing there is no reason to be cold. If you're willing to cover up and be smart you can weather unbelievably low temperatures but the human body can only tolerate so much heat.

I had it easy, I was in the club section on the SW side and could even feel air being moved by the A/C blowing down on us. It was real warm but certainly not unbearable. Sitting in the direct sun, with no moving air would have been unacceptable.............

Ski
Old 09-19-2005   #59
texansfan88
All Pro

for all the complainers in the house

why don't any of yall just call capers and complain on sportsradio610 to him?

you guys are out of your mind if you don't think the Texans customer service department do a great job
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #60
NAT5
Rookie

Default Fan towels

I too was miserable. I left in Q2 in search of shaded seats.

It was a good thing they handed out towels before the game so everyone could use them to wipe their sweat instead of for waving.
NAT5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read