Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2005   #21
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I had to take a picture of the glaring sun that was above the Bullpen.

It was hot. And I take back what I said last week. I was one that wanted the roof open, but just like SheTexan, my pulse skyrocketed in the first half. It was just that hot.

My eyes are sunburned, and I never knew that could happen. My hands started to tingle and swell halfway through the first quarter. It was crazy.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #22
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I sit in the shade every game in 552 and it was even hot there today. This was clearly the highest the temp has ever been for a Texan game. If they are going to leave the roof open on hot days the following steps should be taken by the Texans.

1. Plenty of water should be made available and for Christ's sake, don't cheat the fans by charging $3.50 for it.
2. A cool mist spray machine or something along those lines should be installed to keep people cooler. Imagine being sprayed with a nice cool mist as you sit in your seat.
3. Extra EMS personel should be available, fans who have to take charge of the situation should be given free game tickets.

*While there are hundreds of stadiums without roofs that get blistered by the sun, Reliant Stadium has absolutely no air flow quadrupling the effects of the heat. 130 degrees in the Bull Pen is enough to do some damage.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #23
NAT5
Rookie

OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the heat didn't bother the Steelers all that much at all!!!!!![/quote]

Not to mention they were in their black jerseys.
NAT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #24
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I kind of laughed when I read the Texans plan was to make it so uncomfortable for the Steelers by leaving the roof open.....it's hot for the Texans players also!

Maybe I'm slow but isn't the purpose of a retractable roof to make it as comfortable for the fans as possible? To provide an air conditioned environment for them and escape the heat?

If that's so and they don't provide for the comfort on hot days like today they might have saved millions by just leaving the "retractable roof" off stadium plans.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #25
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 25361 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get the logic. The Texans are on the field, too. Certainly a white jersey can't make that much of a difference. What are the plans when the Colts and Jags come to town, close the roof and turn the thermostate up to 100?
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #26
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Just a thought.

I just wanted to add to this thread that generally speaking, in my experience, I find that the Texans customer service folks tend to be a very responsive group of people. Some people complain that they are too responsive.

You can write with your displeasure, but I suspect that Mr. McNair already knows. He got an eyeful of the remarkably empty seats on the north side of the stadium from his comfort controlled box.

Personally, I believe this roof open in extremely hot weather experiment will go the way of that fight song we had for one game in year 2.

They are still trying to figure out the stadium. Audio noise levels etc. And of course roof open or closed. They catch heck with that decision all the time and they are still trying to get a feel for it.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #27
RoleModel
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to RoleModel Send a message via Yahoo to RoleModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMBH
I don't get the logic. The Texans are on the field, too. Certainly a white jersey can't make that much of a difference.
I was listening to the radio this morning, and a former player on there said it made a big difference. It must, as all but one outdoor home team wore white today.
Old 09-18-2005   #28
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

If they are still experimenting with the roof issue after all this time and don't realize the serious health problems and discomfort caused, (maybe they do now) they need more than the coach giving the final say on open or closed!
When they saw what was happening in the stands by half time ... couldn't they have closed the roof then?
... why the slow/non-response?
... Seems like I've heard that somewhere else this past week.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #29
MarleyFan
Veteran

I feel for you guys, I couldn't handle the heat last year at the Raider game. I had to actually drink water instead of beer the entire first half!
MarleyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #30
mmontgo
Rookie

roof open is cool when the temps are in the 80s.

temp at game time was 91
temp at half time in the stadium was 96
temp on field at half time was 117
the "felt like" temp in the stadium was 104

I am totally in for roof being opened on clear days, but last year it was closed when temps were below 90. this was a pure play by Coach Capers. it shows you how disconnected he is. The Steelers played a game recently in PA where the game temp was 90. there is no advantage. I knew this before the game. BONEHEADED move Dom.

send your complaints to Bob McNair. close this thread.
mmontgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #31
touttail
All Pro

The bottled water they were selling was hot. You had to buy a cup of ice so total cost was $7.00. I even bought a bottle of water and a cup of ice for a policeman in the corner of the stadium in front of 119. He stood there the whole game. I felt so sorry for him. He was very appreciative for the water and ice.

I have been to the home games since the start and this was by far the hottest and most miserable.

You could not sit back in your seat, it would burn and blister your back!

We had to wait in the concourse for 15 minutes, to cool off before walking out to the parking lot.

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #32
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmontgo
send your complaints to Bob McNair. close this thread.
Why would I close this thread? I sent it to the proper people yesterday. If you want to be heard they are reading you now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #33
lakeworthy82

Default The Roof!!!!!!

My husband and I are PSL owners, season ticket holders since day one!!!!! We have been proud of our stadium and proud to have a football team back in Houston!!!!!!!

But I don’t EVEN want to talk about football right now!!!!

I want to talk about WHY IN THE WORLD!!! Would you subject your loyal fans to the brutality of the Houston Weather!!!! The roof being open on Sunday was your most ridiculous decision ever!!!! It endangered your fans! The brutal heat and humidity had people around us falling out. We LEFT in the first quarter!!!!!! I’ve NEVER left before a game was over in the past!!!!

Certainly our “ROOF” is not for keeping out SNOW!!!!!!!!! It’s for keeping out the horrible heat and humidity of Houston!!!!!!!!!!! IF NOT – WHY GO TO THE EXPENSE OF PUTTING A ROOF ON!!!!!!

The weather forecast was for record highs for this time of the year!!! Did no one think to look at the weather forecast???????????

I can put up with ****** coaching and ****** playing – BUT NOT UTILIZING OUR STADIUM’S BEST ASSETS!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU CAN’T FIELD A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM AND PROVIDE US WITH EXCITING FOOTBALL

PLEASE, PLEASE

AT LEAST MAKE US COMFORTABLE AND GIVE US SOME REASON FOR CONTINUING TO BUY THESE SEASON TICKETS AND SHOWING UP FOR EVERY HOME GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2005   #34
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

You could always stay at home where you have a roof and give someone else your tickets.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #35
wckal
waterboy

Exclamation It's not whining...

when you spend a small fortune on PSLs for the privilege of buying season tickets for a team that plays in a stadium with a RETRACTABLE ROOF. It was more than implied up front that the roof was to be used when weather conditions were uncomfortable.

They announced early in the week that the roof was to remain open. The weather forecast was for unseasonably hot temperatures all week. There was plenty of time to buy enough water for the fans, yet they ran out. They never even sold it in the stands, where it was needed the most!

I'm sure Mr. McNair will rectify this. I just don't want this horrible experiment to be forgotten anytime soon.
wckal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #36
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
Would you like some cheese with that whine?
$1800.00 for PSL's
$1300+ for season tickets---every year
$300.00 parking for red lot---every year

You bet your sweet butt it's whinning and the right to do so! If you don't ever show displeasure, then how in the hell will they know you are not happy.

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #37
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 925 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't even need to go into length here. . .

I agree with all here too, (except you Swisher) Total lack of any respect for the fans and our players!

Pam
Old 09-19-2005   #38
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks Vinny!! You know how I feel. I have been complaining for four years now! BTW: This game was no hotter than the Raider game last year, or the Jags game the year before. Regardless of the temp, if fans are so hot they need medical attention, then something is wrong with the plan.

The fans were ineffective yesterday! Remember last year when we caused so many penalities because of the noise? We will never know now if we could have rattled Burgerboy or not! We never got the chance! We will never know if fan support would have ignited a fire under a very obviously flickering flame in our Texans! We will never know if WE THE FANS could have made a difference in yesterdays game! We might still have lost, after all we played against one of the elite teams in the NFL, but, we might have seen a more exciting game, one that was worth the money we paid to see. My five seats in the Bullpen sat empty! That is very sad to me! Thank goodness I had the good sense to go home rather than end up sick, like I did last year and the year before. Someone needs to wake up and realize that WE THE FANS are an important part of the success of this team!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #39
bawlmer-hon
Rookie

Default close the roof

Is it just me or does anyone else out there think the roof should have been closed yesterday? I am a PSL holder and a Texans supporter. I believe everyone associated with the team and the stadium normally work hard to provide an enjoyable visit for all the fans, but not yesterday. Yesterday someone failed miserably in providing a safe, comfortable environment in which to enjoy the game. Leaving the roof open in the oppressive heat was an insult to all the fans that spend a considerable amount of money to attend these games. I wonder if a single person involved in the decision to leave the roof open watched the game in a section that was baking in the sun (I sit in section 322)? I’ve heard the argument that the heat would offer a home-field advantage, but I do not have to state the obvious that no advantage was evident. Of course another home-field advantage is to have thousands of fans screaming for the home-team. That advantage was lost yesterday when folks left early in droves to get out of the heat. I personally held out until early in the 4th quarter before leaving, but now deeply regret staying that long as both my wife and I are now dealing with uncomfortable sunburn today. Reliant stadium was not designed as an open-air stadium. The configuration does to allow for air to circulate well, so no respite is offered from the often-oppressive heat that Houston is prone to. Our next home game is October 9th and I hope it is much cooler, but it could very well be in the 90s and if it is, I hope they will have the roof closed. I already sent an email to ‘fanfeedback@houstontexans.com’ and would encourage all other ticket holders equally outraged to do the same.
bawlmer-hon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #40
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

This had come up last year or the year before after a really hot game. The points I made back then were something like this (keep in mind, I've never been inside Reliant and have only driven by it).

1. Do you really get the feeling you're "outdoors" when the roof is open? I think there's a big difference between a convertible and a car with a sun roof. Reliant has a sunroof. It is not a convertible.

2. With the dimensions of Reliant, I can't see how much of a breeze could come in from the top much less make its way down to the field when the roof is open.

3. Do higher temperatures have as much effect on the opposing team as a closed roof with a raucus fan base generating much more noise because the roof is closed and the sound carries better?

I'm sure the fans that have attended more games than I have (1 would be more games) would know better but that's just how I see it.

If it's raining - close the roof.
If it's above 80 - close the roof (I'm spoiled ).
If it's snowing - close the roof.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read