Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2005   #1
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP
Thumbs down A Thoroughly Unpleasant Experience

I'm going to say "sorry for the flame" up front but I didn't see anything on the message board about this and I am sure others would agree with me.

WHEN THE HEAT INDEX IS OVER 90, CLOSE THE ROOF!!!!!!

According to Yahoo weather, the temperature was 93 at 4:30 (after the game) with a high of 95. There is no telling what the heat index was during the game. Particularly, given there is little to no breeze in the stadium.

One of the fans seated two rows in front of me passed out!! During half time, I saw another guy being carted off on a stretcher with an IV in his arm. As for myself, I spent the second half in an air conditioned part of the stadium near the smokers area and watched the second half on the TV. This is not the way I want to spend my games.

Again, I am sorry for the flame, but I do not know of a better way to get this point across to management.

Sign if you agree.

Last edited by Wharton; 09-18-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #2
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

watched this one from home and it had the field temp at 120 at the start of the game. It was only 108 at halftime.

I am sure that the Texans were hoping that the heat would affect the Steelers moreso than the fans. to bad it seems to have not been a 'good call' on either side of the ball.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #3
mmontgo
Rookie

Default Homefield Advantage: Roof Open?

Guys: I do not know about you, but everything was great tailgating. In fact one of the best times had bad all.

However, my crew had a very bad feeling walking into the stadium today when we felt that 100 degree temperature. Now, interestingly enough, I had some Steeler fans behind me, who were totally cool, in from Latrobe. They were commenting before the game that they could not believe Capers would leave the roof open to expose his players and his fans to the 100 degree temps. In fact, they all commented that Pittsburg is so humid and hot in August and the players have been playing in extreme heat for over a month and no advantage was to be gained by doing this.

So, how bone-headed was it to take the fans out of the game with play and heat, as seen by the droves of fans that headed for shelter end of the 1st quarter? We left by mid third quarter and I have never left any Texan game early--even the blowouts. The environment was so bad that most of the fans left by begining of the third and this playing was not the only reason. The heat was oppresive!

I think this added to the misery, but it started off on the wrong foot, because the Texans did not gain any advantage. How much of a miscalculation was it? I think it was huge. It did not cost the game, but looking back it sure looked foolish from a strategy standpoint and selfish from a customer service standpoint. But, what about in-game strategy?

FYI: Head Coach makes the call on roof opening.
FYI2: I know someone in Emergency services who said they had 100+ heat related medical calls in the stadium before half time.
mmontgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #4
JamesLovesGames
Rookie

Nice game plan. The Steelers were on the shady side of the stadium. I'm sure our guys got great tans though. DOH!
Old 09-18-2005   #5
Da_General
Obnoxious Musician

Rep Power: 18 Da_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden coverDa_General could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLovesGames
The Steelers were on the shady side of the stadium.
Not that I necessarily disagree with the thread's point, but I was on the field on the Steelers side, and it was NOT shady. I have the sunburn to prove it!
Da_General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #6
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I left the game about half way into the second quarter when my heart rate went up to 180 and I started throwing irreg beats! So sick I didn't think I could walk back to my car. I am depressed over this!! I want to be there in that stadium screaming for my team, not fighting for my life!! If it was 120 on the field, it had to be 140 in the North end zone! If I'm gonna have to watch the game on TV, I will watch it at home! Besides, the concourses and cantina's were filled with fans staying out of the heat. Fine way to keep fans in their seats!!!! A stupid decision on the part of the Texans!!

OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the heat didn't bother the Steelers all that much at all!!!!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #7
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmontgo
Guys: I do not know about you, but everything was great tailgating. In fact one of the best times had bad all.

However, my crew had a very bad feeling walking into the stadium today when we felt that 100 degree temperature. Now, interestingly enough, I had some Steeler fans behind me, who were totally cool, in from Latrobe. They were commenting before the game that they could not believe Capers would leave the roof open to expose his players and his fans to the 100 degree temps. In fact, they all commented that Pittsburg is so humid and hot in August and the players have been playing in extreme heat for over a month and no advantage was to be gained by doing this.

So, how bone-headed was it to take the fans out of the game with play and heat, as seen by the droves of fans that headed for shelter end of the 1st quarter? We left by mid third quarter and I have never left any Texan game early--even the blowouts. The environment was so bad that most of the fans left by begining of the third and this playing was not the only reason. The heat was oppresive!

I think this added to the misery, but it started off on the wrong foot, because the Texans did not gain any advantage. How much of a miscalculation was it? I think it was huge. It did not cost the game, but looking back it sure looked foolish from a strategy standpoint and selfish from a customer service standpoint. But, what about in-game strategy?

FYI2: I know someone in Emergency services who said they had 100+ heat related medical calls in the stadium before half time.
THIS WAS RIDICULOUS.

I spend all that money to sit in the seats, and I have to sit through 120 degrees!!! Not even to mention the sloth that was put on the field today.

Terrible, terrible idea leaving the roof open. That is why we have a roof, close it.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2005   #8
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
I left the game about half way into the second quarter when my heart rate went up to 180 and I started throwing irreg beats! So sick I didn't think I could walk back to my car. I am depressed over this!! I want to be there in that stadium screaming for my team, not fighting for my life!! If it was 120 on the field, it had to be 140 in the North end zone! If I'm gonna have to watch the game on TV, I will watch it at home! Besides, the concourses and cantina's were filled with fans staying out of the heat. Fine way to keep fans in their seats!!!! A stupid decision on the part of the Texans!!

OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the heat didn't bother the Steelers all that much at all!!!!!!
I was with you, the north side of the stadium was ridiculous.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I'll admit I was wrong.

I've said in a previous post that I thought we should bake the Steelers and get a real home field advantage by opening the roof.

I was wrong. I wonder if John McClain of the Chronicle who has expressed a similar opinion will admit it too. (He prolly has no idea how bad it was given his spot in the press box). I find him very entertaining, but it is hard to get a home field advantage when a lot of your fans are unable to sit in a packed stadium baking in the sun--it is not a matter of being wusses, it is metric death hot there.

The Bull Pen end of the field is solid but even so, I've never seen it so empty on that side of the field. If they have to get in the shade (or just leave), it is just dangerous.

With the closed in, up and down nature of the stadium, there is no breeze. At all. It was seriously dangerous to be in there.

And it was interesting to see that the September shadows don't help the Texans at all. Never saw those before so I dint know the sun angle. (The sun was on both teams equally, later in the year, it only goes to the visitor's side). I am sure the Texans staff knew that stuff, but I guess they wanted to try to use the weather to help us.

I was seated in the shade and it was hotter than heck. I've been in the sun at Reliant before but I bet this was the worst ever by far for baking.

It is a football game. We want to win. That being said, we shouldn't have to worry about fans getting ill. In the winter you can put more clothes on, but there is only so much you can take off, and it is still hot.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #10
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmontgo
Guys: I do not know about you, but everything was great tailgating. In fact one of the best times had bad all. .........

Just so you know, my tailgating group was there bright and early for the opening of the gates. We, also, had a very good time. But, then again, we have four huge tents providing shade and one of the guys brought a misting fan to cool the air (FYI those things really do work!!!).

While I am going to take your word for it, creating an environment were 100+ people have medical treatment because of the heat, sounds more then a little bit irresponsible, and maybe even negligent.

The retractable roof was put in place so that fans can enjoy the game in the open air during times of GOOD Texas weather. I have lived in Texas all my life, and trust me when I say that 90+ degrees, is NOT good Texas weather.

Last edited by Wharton; 09-18-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #11
wckal
waterboy

Angry Roof Decision

Today's game showed a clear disrespect for the fans. My parents, in their 70's, forked over a large sum for 6 PSL licenses and season tickets to the Texans' games with the knowledge that a retractable-roof stadium was being built for the team. We assumed that the intent was protection from unpleasant weather, and it doesn't snow here.

My mother and I staked a spot standing 5 feet behind the rail behind our section, waiting for the sun to move. Of course, other fans did not follow this rule, and nothing was done. At one point, we were asked to "walk around the concouse" because we were creating a fire hazard. Thankfully, a kinder Texans employee overruled him. Our view was fair until it was obscured by a group treating a women who became overheated while seated in the sun. Viewing the red-faced, sweltering fans leaving their seats for the concourse area was alarming.

When the shade finally came, we went to our seats. At that point, I became concerned by my father's appearance, and tried to help him out with wet towels, etc. We normally eat lunch at the game, but today no one ate. We were worried about getting sick.

I thought going to a Texans game was supposed to be fun. Now my parents and 12 year-old son don't want to go to any games where the roof might be open.

In conclusion, I am baffled by the notion that the heat gave the Texans home field advantage. The Texans usually practice in a bubble! I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that the noise factor with the roof closed would've been much more advantageous to the team. But then, the BOOs would have seemed louder, too.
wckal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #12
Tayton
Veteran

I am a paramedic with the City of Houston and went to the game as a spectator. I spent the the entire second quarter and most of the third taking care of elderly people who were getting over heated near the north end zone. The Texans let everyone know that the the roof was going to be open and to stay well hydrated. No problem with the notification. My problem is that there was NO WATER for sale in this area. Several people went up to get Hydrated and were told that there was no water left in the stadium. After helping several people I went to customer service and said we had a problem developing. Absolutely no help. There was no one who took responsibility for getting water or no point person to whom I could talk to regarding the problem. Finally, I contacted the EMS Director for the City of Houston with my personal cell phone, within 15 minutes water brought to the area. The response from Reliant today was absolutely pathetic with ushers asking me what they should do and thanking me for taking control. I usually don't get passionate about responses but their EMS response was scary. Bob McNair definately will hear it from me because we were very close to having a real catastrophe.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #13
mmontgo
Rookie

TO ALL:

EVERYONE needs to send emails and call to the front office and vote our displeasure. We need to push this forward so it does not happen again. My heart goes out to everyone who has health issues at the game. what a horrible experience. my wife is 6 months pregnant and went through the same thing, luckily there was an attendant that was awesome to us in the face of adversity and found my wife a couple open, shaded seats so we could at least watch part of the game. However, with no air flow, it was still bad in the shade. we could never cool down and we are in shape, healthy adults!

So, we all have to email and call customer service at the Texan org. i am sure they already know, but the only way to impress upon them to not let this happen again, is to call them out. i am shocked, Bob McNair, who runs a fabulous organization, except the coaching staff, would let this happen. I am sure he noticed the droves of fans leaving at halftime and filing out. he had to I am certain.

Shame on Dom for being so short-sided and for his poor decision making skills, because it was his call. bottomline: what a freak for letting this happen.

(the first word that came to mind was the negligence when I heard about the 100+....most were minor, dehydration..etc. I heard however)
mmontgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #14
non natural texan
Rookie

I understand everyone's problems with the heat, and I have for the past 3 years, but I have always said it's Texas people, its hot so suck it up. I also think it can be somewhat of a home field advantage and the place seems too sterile when the roof is closed.

I think what we witnessed today was a bad mistake by Mgt in seeing how far they could push the roof open in hot weather issue and they obviously crossed the line. But after today I seriously doubt the roof will ever be open again if the temp is above 80 after the problems I have been hearing and reading about. So lets get the complaining out now, it does serve a purpose, but until it happens again I hope this discussion is closed after a week or so.

However, in October when the temps are pleasant but the sun is on you and you get a little sun burnt, quit crying, it happens at almost every day game in the NFL and college game each weekend. The roof is there to ward off inclimate weather(an argument can easily be made that today was inclimate), but it wouldn't be removable if they wanted the place to be 75 degrees for every game and make you feel like you are in your living room.
non natural texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #15
booklady
Rookie

Default From the outside

I did not go inside and I can tell you people were leaving the stadium before the second quarter. I saw "fans" who could hardly walk and shaking their heads saying "pathetic". I asked if they meant the game or having the roof opened. They said both! I saw an ambulance with lights going and people trying to get to their vehicles to get the a/c on.
Someone needs to rethink this. My take is either you have a prepared team on task or you don't. Leaving the roof open doesn't mean a thing and that was proven today.
booklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #16
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is unbelievable!!! For FOUR years, and all this past week, I have read NOTHING but posts about how the Texans need to keep the roof open!! Emails were even sent to the TEXANS front office to ENCOURAGE them to keep the roof open! Every macho male in a Texans jersey was spouting off about how the heat would WORK TO OUR ADVANTAGE!! HA! Guess who's complaining NOW!!

It was just as hot in year two against the Jags, and last year against the Raiders! Complaints have been sent to the front office for three years! DEMAND a refund!! You won't get it, but, maybe it will get their attention! I intend to complain EVERYDAY for the next two weeks!! I have 5 seats in the Bullpen and they were empty today!! I HATE that!! Not my idea of supporting my team, or the Bullpen! BUT, when the seats are to hot to touch, fans are getting so sick they have to be seen by a medic, and there is NO WATER to buy at $3.50 a bottle, then something is definitely wrong!

I can guarantee you, the week before the Titan game the macho's will be back demanding the roof be left open! Get busy if you don't like it and blast the Texans with complaints! Might work, might not! Next year when they see sales of PSLs in the NEZ dwendling, maybe they will sit up and take notice. Venting on this board will get NOWHERE! Let them know how you really feel.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #17
endzoner
Rookie

Unfortunately, customer service and fan convenience/comfort will not become a priority until fans quit renewing their season tickets. We're on target for that to be 2006.
endzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #18
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if this had anything to do with the heat or it was the poor play of the Texans but when they showed the stands (I think it was mid 4th quarter) some sections were very empty. They were in the sun too. I was thinking people were bailing out early but now I realize it may have been because of the heat.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #19
herblcure
Rookie

Angry Coooking in the Sun!

Here is a great idea. Let's open the roof so that we can all sweat our asses off and then let's watch as our home team gets handed the worst beating of the season so far. Is it good when our QB gets more rushing yards than anyone else on the team? Is it good when our receivers attempt to catch a ball but then realize it must be some sort of grenade and drop it? Is it good when the freaking sun is beating down on you and the beer is $7.00 while the water is $3.50. What is the point of season tickets when we are treated like **** and surrounded by more Steelers fans that Texans fans at a home game? In the end, players who drop the ball, freaking fumble the ball, or just can't figure out what the damn ball is should be tossed. I have seen high school teams that can play better. Sheesh, even the great Ray Charles could have seen this slaughter house coming! Here is an idea... Let's leave the roof open so that perhaps we can clear the stands out faster in the next game which helps the parking lot when we are all trying to leave at the end.
herblcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #20
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

When I approached the stadium and saw the roof open, I knew then that I would not even approach 115 Q 6 until I saw shade, guessing that would be about 2:15. I bought my hot dog and water and stood behind the rail at 116 prepared to stand there and root for the Texans. There was an almost empty row in front of me, and near the end of the first quarter, I asked the usher if I could sit there until the ticket holder arrived. So I became a squatter. I guess the tickets belonged to brokers because no one ever showed up and more people standing had an opportunity to sit in the shade.

At half time I walked outside where the smokers gather. Although I don't smoke, I just wanted to get a feel for the attitudes about the temperature. It wasn't good. I saw both men and women clothing so wet that it appeared that they poured water on themselves. Met and talked to several people out there and inside the concourse as my Earl Campbell throwback was quite a conversation starter.

After returning, the seats were still available, so I decided to stay, but planned to go to my paid seat when shaded. However, that never happened. Perhaps I could have headed that way about 3:00, but why bother because by then I could have picked any seat in the stadium.

Hopefully it will be cooler by the Titans game, however I will be in Dallas. But, this experience shouldl be fair warning to management that they were fortunate if no one experienced a heat stroke or worse. The decision to leave the roof open today was the most inconsiderate and worst thoughout plan that management ever made. Last year was bad enough to help me make the decision that I made today, and I believe today was the worst in Texan history.

I am not happy to sit in seats that have been paid by others, and felt uncomfortable even though the ticket holders didn't show up. I will go to future games in comfortable clothing and shoes with the understanding that it could be a game that I will be standing up in the food court area if necessary. I might end up tired, but I won't be putting myself in any serious medical situations.

After the game, I drove over to Hank's Ice Cream and enjoyed a nice ice cream cone, where I met other Texan and Steeler fans. THE END
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read