Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2005   #1
JDTexan
Rookie

Thumbs down Peek is not a starting NFL outside linebacker.

Those of you that thought Peek was the answer to our passrush, are absolutely wrong. He's a joke!

We already knew Babin couldn't rush the passer, but Peek is showing that he is a one trick (spin move) pony.

WE HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PASS RUSH. I've never seen a QB have 8-10 seconds to complete a bomb pass on this many occasions in a game.

HELP!
JDTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default We have absolutely no pass rush.

We have a terrible DL that doesnt occupy blockers.
We have 2 MLBs who are switching positions and can't hit the holes.
We have 2 OLBs who can't rush the passer and who can't drop into coverage.

This translates into our DBs looking like fools. No wonder they look bad - the opposing QB has 8-10 seconds to look for the most open receiver.

the commentator said it best, "Wow! Big Ben could have taken a nap back in the pocket and still completed a deep bomb."
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #3
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

The pass rush does suck, because when you constantly only rush 4 that leaves your OLBs or whoever is going in to rush getting doubled. Peek has no help that why he now has only one sack. He is doubled on most plays where he rushes by the LT and a RB or TE. ALso, he was out in zone coverage for half of the game. the zone sucks. However with P Suc out there if he was in man he would be burnt every time. If peek had some help it would be different. And to say all he does is a spin move? I believe he was bull rushing or pushing the LT straight back into the pocket multiple times but when no one else is in there to make a play it doesnt matter.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #4
ROYDESTROY
Rookie

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTexan
Those of you that thought Peek was the answer to our passrush, are absolutely wrong. He's a joke!

We already knew Babin couldn't rush the passer, but Peek is showing that he is a one trick (spin move) pony.

WE HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PASS RUSH. I've never seen a QB have 8-10 seconds to complete a bomb pass on this many occasions in a game.

HELP!
Yeah..peek-a-boo .. no pass rush at all
Old 09-18-2005   #5
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

What was up with Babin today? He ran straight into the nearest defender, as if he wasn't even trying to get a tackle! The announcers caught Buchanon playing touch football in the end zone. I knew our defense was going to need some development because it was pretty much overhauled during the offseason, but come on!

:brickwall
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #6
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Did you love it when we left 2 on the line and dropped 9 back in coverage?

The fact that we have no pass rush has less to do with the players and more to do with the play calling.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #7
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
The fact that we have no pass rush has less to do with the players and more to do with the play calling.
That is incorrect. We've consistently seen teams get lots of pressure on Carr with 3 and 4 rushers.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2005   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTexan

HELP!
No, the joke is that you can't see the coaches are telling Peek to drop into containment or coverage rather than rush. Peek isn't choosing to stop his pass rush, he is being told to do so. He may not be the greatest pass rusher ever, but then again, neither was Steve Foley until he left the Texans and was told to screw everything else, get the QB.
Old 09-18-2005   #9
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
No, the joke is that you can't see the coaches are telling Peek to drop into containment or coverage rather than rush. Peek isn't choosing to stop his pass rush, he is being told to do so. He may not be the greatest pass rusher ever, but then again, neither was Steve Foley until he left the Texans and was told to screw everything else, get the QB.
Exactly, when your top pass rusher has to drop back 10 yards from the line every play its kind of hard to do much. If this defense was allowed to blitz, then you get more pressure, you free up peek from double teams, you get pressure up the middle and the QB doesnt have all day. Then your DBs dont ahve to cover for five or six seconds. the problems are all related. send five or six and you get things to happen, rush 4, 3 or 2 and nothing happens
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys make good points. I agree we need to let Peek loose on the QB but IMO we also need to use some CB and S blitzes also. I remember last season when DRob had 2 sacks in one game.
Old 09-19-2005   #11
touttail
All Pro

Big Ben had all day to throw the ball. When he did have to scramble, his recievers burnt our pass defenders bigtime ie: Faggins, P-Burnt, and even Daunte got bit once.

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #12
playoff year please
Veteran

We rushed two and put 9 in coverage and the pass was still completed. Also where is the blitz packages that Capers promissed in the Pre-Season?
playoff year please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #13
touttail
All Pro

Dom Capers here, "How do you spell BLITZ?"
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #14
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

I kind of agree that Peek is not everything the Texans have come to expect of him. I think that Babin will be better on the line, exploding out the stance. Peek, hopefully he can do the same.
Old 02-12-2006   #15
AtheGreat
Veteran

not to turn this into a draft discussion, but if we were able to swing getting abraham from the Jets and picking up Mario in the draft, i think that right off going into the '06 season we'd have a nasty front four. Our DTs aren't all that bad. and all they would need to do is be huge and plug up holes while abraham and williams do their thing.

i agree with the idea that it may not all be talent. i think kubiak will spice things up and keep the Oline on their toes. im sure Pitts' D scheme raised his eyebrows. with better play-calling and some more talent i think we could have a decent D this coming year.
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

... I dunno what say to this thread. I mean... Fangio was horrid.. HE is why we didnt have a pass rush. Im not saying we are gonna come back next year under a new coach and lead the league in sacks.. but its impossible to say, with any conviction, that we have no pass rush.. when we have only seen our players playing under Fangio.

I see alot of athletic ability in our LBs.. and I think Smith and Payne and Johnson (and Walker if he can pull himself out of his wheelchair) can provide good pressure.

I will judge our pass rush after next season.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
... I dunno what say to this thread. I mean... Fangio was horrid.. HE is why we didnt have a pass rush. Im not saying we are gonna come back next year under a new coach and lead the league in sacks.. but its impossible to say, with any conviction, that we have no pass rush.. when we have only seen our players playing under Fangio.

I see alot of athletic ability in our LBs.. and I think Smith and Payne and Johnson (and Walker if he can pull himself out of his wheelchair) can provide good pressure.

Ditto.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
I kind of agree that Peek is not everything the Texans have come to expect of him.
When the announcement was made last year that Peek would start at weakside OLB ("the" primary pass rush position in the 3-4), there was a lot
of people predicting Peek would get a dozen sacks in the 2005 season and
teams would be fighting over his services this offseason. So in his 3rd season
and first as a starter, that season turned out to disappointing for him. And with the new HC reportedly leaning towards the 4-3, wonder it they even hang on to Peek ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I wouldn't mind trading down if you got the picks and a guy like Williams that could destroy plays single handedly. Watching Pitt was fun when they were flying to the ball.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #20
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid

Thank you for saving me the effort.

Nice jibe at Carr, Wonger ... way to pick your shots.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read