Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-15-2004   #21
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

if the fans like them enough to vote for them they have a chance...the pro bowl is nothing but a popularity contest
Old 07-15-2004   #22
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Greg Jones and Fred Taylor are the exact same bbody type. They are both 6-1, 235. Jones is a younger version of Taylor and Jones will take the job.
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Greg Jones is not nearly as quick or explosive as Taylor. Jones is more akin to a guy like Eddie George or our own ex-Oiler Alonzo Highsmith.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004   #24
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastlyman2003
Greg Jones and Fred Taylor are the exact same bbody type. They are both 6-1, 235.
Jones weighed in at the FSU pro day at 249 lbs. He'll be one of the bigger RB's in the league. I do agree that Jones will take some of Taylor's numbers, mainly in Goal line and short yardage plays in Stacey Mack's old role.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004   #25
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Hey, but what if, i mean i know the odds are against it(sarcasm), but what happens if Fragile Fred goes down again? Who fills in? LaBrandon Toefield or Greg Jones?
Old 07-15-2004   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure they will handle that with rb by committee. They probably have the most talented stable of backs in the NFL outside of Buffalo (if McGahee is healthy).

Old 07-15-2004   #27
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

And Greg Jones ran a 4.56 40-yard dash, so he isnt THAT sluggish, just more of a down-hill runner, which is where you wanna go, north and south.
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2004   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I never implied he was sluggish. Absolute speed is different than quickness. Barry Sanders wasn't usually the fastest guy on the field but he was always the quickest. Taylor is a freak. He is enormously quick and explosive and a different class of back than Jones. Jones will likely be a fine back in his own right, but the two backs are not very comparable when it comes to quickness and suddenness.

Old 07-15-2004   #29
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

I was repyling to Lucky about the speed, in the sense that Jones could be more than just a goal line/ short yardage back. But i understand where youre coming from. True but maybe if the conditioning coaches work with Jones and get his weight down to around 235-240 he could aquire some quickness and agility.then they would be mirror images of each other.
Old 07-15-2004   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True but maybe if the conditioning coaches work with Jones and get his weight down to around 235-240 he could aquire some quickness and agility.then they would be mirror images of each other.
Jones is not a flabby 249. I think he measured at less than 10% body fat at the combine. He's just a freak.

Old 07-15-2004   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
True but maybe if the conditioning coaches work with Jones and get his weight down to around 235-240 he could aquire some quickness and agility.then they would be mirror images of each other.
I was gonna respond but Lucky kinda beat me to it. Jones will never be as quick as Taylor. They are just two different styles of backs. As you can see he has no body-fat to lose. He is more of a power back and always will be.

Old 07-15-2004   #32
Lucky

Just thinking aloud...how great a MLB could Greg Jones have been?
Old 07-15-2004   #33
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

MAN, He sent that dude from NC to the hospital and he was running the ball! What would happen if he were to tackle someone? Can you say Intensive care unit?
Old 07-15-2004   #34
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't the players and coaches select the Pro Bowl players?

I think they both have a great chance but isn't it more prestigious to be "All Pro"?
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004   #35
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by __V__
I'm sure they will handle that with rb by committee. They probably have the most talented stable of backs in the NFL outside of Buffalo (if McGahee is healthy).
I'd have to say that Green Bay is way up there too with Green, Fisher, and Davenport. IMO they would be better than Henry, McGahee, Morris.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004   #36
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
Don't the players and coaches select the Pro Bowl players?

I think they both have a great chance but isn't it more prestigious to be "All Pro"?
Im not sure exactly how it works, but from what i think i know, the players, coaches, and fans all get a vote. I'm just not sure exactly how the weight of the votes are placed. but the fans do matter. I mean, if our vote didnt count, then why would we be voting on NFL.com every year?
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004   #37
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm confused.

I goggled the subject and the information I got said the Pro Bowl players were selected by the "players and coaches of each NFL team". It didn't mention fans voting at all.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004   #38
pv1999
Veteran

Fans, players and coaches select the AFC and NFC All-Stars. Each group's collective vote counted one-third towards determining conference rosters.

So don't count on our guys making it without David Carr and overall team success and/or recognition. People are like that. Just like when they voted Vince Carter on the allstar basketball team, people will vote for a familiar name instead of looking at actual stats.
Old 07-15-2004   #39
Panther5407
All Pro

I've voted for Pro Bowl this past year. I think anyone can vote.
Old 07-15-2004   #40
booie4
Rookie

Quote:
SORRY! i didnt mean confrence! I meant division. MY BAD! Domanick Davis Is much better than Edgerrin James. Maybe not Fred but is Better than Edge.
i don't if i'm reading this from a canes perspective, but this is the dumbest thing i heard all week. Edge this season will be a top 10 back again. hopefully dd can be one to.
booie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read