Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Does anyone think D. Davis or A. Johnson can make the Pro Bowl This Year?

O.G.

Waterboy
I know it's too early for predictions but I think Andre will for sure, if he improves on last year make the Pro Bowl. Dom has a harder chance since there are so many good running backs. Also, how many yards do you think each will gain this season if both stay healthy? Myself, I think Davis will rush for somewhere between 1300 to 1500 yards and the same goes for AJ. What does everyone else think?

That would be way cool if it happens. I just found out I have a friend who has an uncle who owns a condo and rents it out. I plan on trying to go there in feb and take in the game also.

I think AJ has a solid CHANCE to make the Pro Bowl. If he puts up 80+ catches and 1200 yards it would be hard to keep him out. Naturally that is dependent on how the team fares overall. Pro Bowlers tend to come from winning teams. However, DD has little chance for the reason given. To many other good backs.

I think AJ has a much better chance than DD. IMO the AFC is just way to stacked at RB for DD to make it. Tomlinson, Holmes, James, Taylor, etc. :twocents:

If Davis & Johnson have great years, sure they can make the Pro Bowl. They're both capable, but the odds seem to favor AJ rather than DD because of the competition each face.

Last years AFC Pro Bowl RBs (Lewis, Holmes, & Portis) averaged almost 1700 yards & over 18 TDs. That's not even including Tomlinson who had over 2300 yards total offense. Plus, there's good RBs like Fred Taylor, Shaun Alexander, Ricky Williams, etc. that watched the game on TV. Domanick should be in the mix, but the competition for a RB in the AFC is brutal.

Last years AFC Pro Bowl WRs (Harrison, Chad Johnson, Mason, & Ward) averaged around 90+ catches, 1200 yards & 10 TDs. Good numbers, but nothing that Andre isn't capable of. There are other good AFC WRs as well such as Santana Moss, Seattle's Jackson and Robinson, and Miami's new combo of Chambers & Boston. But taking note of his clear #1 WR status and talent, and I like AJ's ceiling more than most of these guys.

When 2 players stats are close, the Pro Bowl bid usually goes to the guy on the winning team. When the Texans begin to win consistently, AJ & DD will be routine visitors to Hawaii. Who knows, maybe this season is the beginning of that trend.

I think they can make it. They have the talent. It would be a little easier for AJ than DD. If DD is getting all the holes he is talking about, he could make a run for the pro bowl. I think it will be Sharpers year more than anyone.

a lot of sports writers think AJ can be a regular at the Pro Bowl and I think he could start his regular trips this year, but it will be near impossible for DD. If LT couldnt get into it last year with his #s, DD would have to have that 2000 yard season...

Im sorry, and maybe im just beligerent, but i think that i can honestly say that Domanick Davis is clearly much better than Edgerrin James. Thats just my opinion.

Beastlyman2003 said:
Im sorry, and maybe im just beligerent, but i think that i can honestly say that Domanick Davis is clearly much better than Edgerrin James. Thats just my opinion.
You could make a case that DD is better then Edge, but the one thing that is certain is that DD and Edge are both behind Fred Taylor in this division...

Yes but you must remember the title "Fragile Fred". He is know for naggin injuries that take away his will to take a pounding and his will to drive for those yards after contact. And isnt Taylor gettin up there in age as well? Somewhere around 28? MAybe not but, I think he will also lose carries because of the new duo in Jacksonville of Leftwich and Reggie Williams.

right but its a new year. And something could happen. Im not trying to argue but i think that i would have SOME followers if i said Domanick Davis is the best running back in this confrence right now.

Davis isn't even the best back in the division. Fred Taylor and Edge James are better backs. Dom will be fine, but he is not pro-bowler at this point.

Also, take a close look at the man you call fragile. He is a beast. He is Willis McGahee in size, strength, and speed; except he has proven himself on the field. Taylor hasn't been injured in a couple of seasons.

SORRY! i didnt mean confrence! I meant division. MY BAD! Domanick Davis Is much better than Edgerrin James. Maybe not Fred but is Better than Edge.

__V__ said:
Also, take a close look at the man you call fragile. He is a beast. He is Willis McGahee in size, strength, and speed; except he has proven himself on the field. Taylor hasn't been injured in a couple of seasons.
He'll always be "Fragile Freddy" to me. FF players who had Fred on their team during his bad hammy days will never forget, never forgive.

Beastlyman2003 said:

I totally agree

oh, and "Mr. V", about Willis McGahee, nobody knows if he has the speed or strength he had at UM. His Knee hasnt been at full strength, and he hasnt been able to lift weights. He hasn't even been on a Pro Field in pads. And about Fred, his age is becoming a factor, and so is the increased touchesand hits he recieved last season. And now, he will be sharing carries with LaBrandon Toefield and Greg Jones. Greg Jones is the Starter in two seasons. Freds production will decrease while his expendability will increase. Niether of us can predict the weather so we will just have to watch and see.

I'm comparing their body-type, um... "Mr Beast", not their production. They are both elite body-types for their position much like AJ is for the WR slot. Out of the RB position they probably have the most ideal size/speed ratios.

if the fans like them enough to vote for them they have a chance...the pro bowl is nothing but a popularity contest

Greg Jones and Fred Taylor are the exact same bbody type. They are both 6-1, 235. Jones is a younger version of Taylor and Jones will take the job.

Greg Jones is not nearly as quick or explosive as Taylor. Jones is more akin to a guy like Eddie George or our own ex-Oiler Alonzo Highsmith.

Beastlyman2003 said:
Greg Jones and Fred Taylor are the exact same bbody type. They are both 6-1, 235.
Jones weighed in at the FSU pro day at 249 lbs. He'll be one of the bigger RB's in the league. I do agree that Jones will take some of Taylor's numbers, mainly in Goal line and short yardage plays in Stacey Mack's old role.

Hey, but what if, i mean i know the odds are against it(sarcasm), but what happens if Fragile Fred goes down again? Who fills in? LaBrandon Toefield or Greg Jones?

I'm sure they will handle that with rb by committee. They probably have the most talented stable of backs in the NFL outside of Buffalo (if McGahee is healthy).

And Greg Jones ran a 4.56 40-yard dash, so he isnt THAT sluggish, just more of a down-hill runner, which is where you wanna go, north and south.

I never implied he was sluggish. Absolute speed is different than quickness. Barry Sanders wasn't usually the fastest guy on the field but he was always the quickest. Taylor is a freak. He is enormously quick and explosive and a different class of back than Jones. Jones will likely be a fine back in his own right, but the two backs are not very comparable when it comes to quickness and suddenness.

I was repyling to Lucky about the speed, in the sense that Jones could be more than just a goal line/ short yardage back. But i understand where youre coming from. True but maybe if the conditioning coaches work with Jones and get his weight down to around 235-240 he could aquire some quickness and agility.then they would be mirror images of each other.

Beastlyman2003 said:
True but maybe if the conditioning coaches work with Jones and get his weight down to around 235-240 he could aquire some quickness and agility.then they would be mirror images of each other.
Jones is not a flabby 249. I think he measured at less than 10% body fat at the combine. He's just a freak.

images-greg%20jones.jpg

Beastlyman2003 said:
True but maybe if the conditioning coaches work with Jones and get his weight down to around 235-240 he could aquire some quickness and agility.then they would be mirror images of each other.
I was gonna respond but Lucky kinda beat me to it. Jones will never be as quick as Taylor. They are just two different styles of backs. As you can see he has no body-fat to lose. He is more of a power back and always will be.

MAN, He sent that dude from NC to the hospital and he was running the ball! What would happen if he were to tackle someone? Can you say Intensive care unit?

Don't the players and coaches select the Pro Bowl players?

I think they both have a great chance but isn't it more prestigious to be "All Pro"?

__V__ said:
I'm sure they will handle that with rb by committee. They probably have the most talented stable of backs in the NFL outside of Buffalo (if McGahee is healthy).

I'd have to say that Green Bay is way up there too with Green, Fisher, and Davenport. IMO they would be better than Henry, McGahee, Morris.

WWJD said:
Don't the players and coaches select the Pro Bowl players?

I think they both have a great chance but isn't it more prestigious to be "All Pro"?

Im not sure exactly how it works, but from what i think i know, the players, coaches, and fans all get a vote. I'm just not sure exactly how the weight of the votes are placed. but the fans do matter. I mean, if our vote didnt count, then why would we be voting on NFL.com every year?

I'm confused.

I goggled the subject and the information I got said the Pro Bowl players were selected by the "players and coaches of each NFL team". It didn't mention fans voting at all.

Fans, players and coaches select the AFC and NFC All-Stars. Each group's collective vote counted one-third towards determining conference rosters.

So don't count on our guys making it without David Carr and overall team success and/or recognition. People are like that. Just like when they voted Vince Carter on the allstar basketball team, people will vote for a familiar name instead of looking at actual stats.

Beastlyman2003 said:
SORRY! i didnt mean confrence! I meant division. MY BAD! Domanick Davis Is much better than Edgerrin James. Maybe not Fred but is Better than Edge.
i don't if i'm reading this from a canes perspective, but this is the dumbest thing i heard all week. Edge this season will be a top 10 back again. hopefully dd can be one to.

getting back to the subject at hand.

D.Davis has a lot better chance of making the pro bowl. look at all the help we have given him(new blocking scheme, massive tackle todd wade) AJ will more likely be doubled teamed every passing down,

If you sit back and watch DD run, and catch out of the back field, you will notice how much he plays like M.Faulk,he will have no problem running north and south, he can make a cutback with the best of them, and if you really watch him, you will see the fact that DD always falls foward to pick up acouple more yards.

So basically i see the people on this post saying AJ has more of a shot, why? because when AJ was drafted we expected him to be good thats why we got him.

DD has overcome many hurdles and doesnt look to be slowing down. expect him to gain ATLEAST 1600 yds and 10+ TDs.
-im out.

flawedout said:

D.Davis has a lot better chance of making the pro bowl. look at all the help we have given him(new blocking scheme, massive tackle todd wade) AJ will more likely be doubled teamed every passing down,

If you sit back and watch DD run, and catch out of the back field, you will notice how much he plays like M.Faulk,he will have no problem running north and south, he can make a cutback with the best of them, and if you really watch him, you will see the fact that DD always falls foward to pick up acouple more yards.

So basically i see the people on this post saying AJ has more of a shot, why? because when AJ was drafted we expected him to be good thats why we got him.

DD has overcome many hurdles and doesnt look to be slowing down. expect him to gain ATLEAST 1600 yds and 10+ TDs.
-im out.
We expect AJ to make it because he is the better player at his position.

Name 5 guys that can do better than AJ this upcoming season who are in the AFC?

This is difficult, but I have, in no particular order, Harrison, Chad Johnson, Hienz Ward and I can only name 3.

Now, name 5 guys that can do better than DD this upcoming season who are in the AFC:

Jamal Lewis, LT, Priest Holmes, Ricky Williams, Fred Taylor. No thinking involved. And people can make cases that Edge, Travis Henry, and Rudi Johnson are better then DD. And remember Portis just left...

flawedout said:

-im out.

Why, because AJ came in 6th last year among AFC WR's. Just 200 more yards and he is in 4th and most likely in the pro-bowl. Compare to the competition for RB where Tomlinson did not make it with over 100 receptions. Seems prettly simple, DD has a much tougher job to make the pro-bowl than AJ does no matter how talented each is.

Back