Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-16-2005   #21
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

oh man i did not know the Texans could have gotten Bernard Berrian. maybe carr would be doing better.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
oh man i did not know the Texans could have gotten Bernard Berrian. maybe carr would be doing better.
it couldn't hurt
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #23
Texan1
Veteran

#47 pick - Marcus Johnson G or Terance Murphy WR
#78 pick - Kirk Morrison ILB

#40 pick - Dontarrious Thomas OLB
#71 pick - Max Starks OT
#103 pick - Nathan Vasher CB
Texan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1
#47 pick - Marcus Johnson G or Terance Murphy WR
#78 pick - Kirk Morrison ILB

#40 pick - Dontarrious Thomas OLB
#71 pick - Max Starks OT
#103 pick - Nathan Vasher CB
see it sort of washes out when its all said and done. the fact is the Texans did go the playmaker route, both Babin & Buchanan are counted on to make a difference in starting roles.

I like Marcus Johnson & Kirk Morrison but Marcus plays only if Weigert is hurt and Morrison would back up Greenwood or Wong. instead the Texans have a starting CB that has potential to become a premier corner and return man.

Dontarrious is a back-up on a bad team, Starks will be playing Sunday at Relient as the starting RT of the Steelers, but we have Wade so he would be a backup as is Vasher. Babin is a very interesting person & player I would expect him to break out at any time and show why they are so high on him, but thanks for playing its fun from time to time and revisit past, present & future NFL drafts
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #25
Texan1
Veteran

Apparently we see things differrently, but I'm no expert. I hope your right.
Old 09-17-2005   #26
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody else observe that Babin is not an explosive athelete . If you watched Greene or Lawrence Taylor or other great outside LBs they played stronger than their size . This is more power than strength .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #27
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

Trading picks in the 2nd to 4th rounds has hurt us in one major spot....the ofensive line.

IMO, the best place to draft OL is during the 2nd-4th rounds. You probably wont get an ogden, pace, or jones, but you will get solid talent with which to build an OL. Other than pitts, we have not drafted a solid OL, as Weary, brown, and wand all appear to be busts.

IMO, in this draft had we not traded away the picks, we could have drafted two lineman with the 4 picks we originally had in rounds 2-4. this is how good teams build depth and stay away from OL woes even after an injury or free agent loss.
AlexVanderpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2005   #28
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
2004 NFL Draft w/TEN:

Hou Gets:
27 Jason Babin (DE) Houston Texans (from Titans) Western Michigan

TEN uses the draft picks traded and gets:
40 Ben Troupe (TE) Tennessee Titans (from Houston) Florida
71 Randy Starks (DT) Tennessee Titans (from Houston) Maryland
103 Bo Schobel (DE) Tennessee Titans (from Houston) TCU

Looking back now, would we not have beene better off staying put and picking the guys TEN picked up? TE, still a needed position, DT and DE depth.

Could we not have a move at the end of the second round with TEN and gotten:
57 Antwan Odom (DE) Tennessee Titans Alabama
A player who I find similiar to Peek, and also happens to wear #98? Played against better compition than Babin and also was converting from DE to OLB.

You can't compare it with the Titans picks because we would have drafted different players.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #29
bigfootrulz
Rookie

Default answer

texans are glad you fill the stands no matter what they put on field,what ever they did win was because the opp took them lightly,in my book they were all loses,and the cowboy game 19-10 was fixed by nfl to get texas to move from cowboys to texans,haha
bigfootrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #30
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
LBC Justin,

Yes, Ware would have been nice. I think they have done well drafting as well, would like to see them with more picks. I don't know about salary cap, sounds like you follow it closely so I'll take your word for it.

Maybe its just growing pains this year - lets hope the fans stick with the team (go to games in mass). Its still in the early going for the franchise.
Here is a link to the Salary cap status of all 32 teams, as of Sept 1.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/columns...ohn&id=2004973

Of all 32 teams only ONE is in Better Cap shape than the Texans.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #31
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I doubt we would have made the same picks as TEN (hopefully some OL). Looking at our past picks, we've made good decisions in the draft, I assume we would have in those spots also. Anyway, its hindsight now.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
You can't compare it with the Titans picks because we would have drafted different players.
How you figure? Have we not drafted these same positions in that draft and the following year? My point is, would we "trade" all those guys for Babin now? I dont think he's played bad, but not worth the depth those picks would have given us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.

Last edited by PapaL; 09-17-2005 at 05:03 PM.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #32
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
Here is a link to the Salary cap status of all 32 teams, as of Sept 1.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/columns...ohn&id=2004973

Of all 32 teams only ONE is in Better Cap shape than the Texans.
You have to have a subscription to insider it looks like to see the page. Could you copy and paste it perhaps?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #33
Texan1
Veteran

LCROD,

What we meant by that is the picks may not have been identical - but your point is well taken. We traded depth and badly needed help on the O line for what 'beerlover' appropriately defined as currently unmet expectations \ contextual underchievers.
Old 09-17-2005   #34
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Goldeagle,

I think Johnson was a nice pick. Pro bowl talent is hard to come by. Joppru, I can't hang on Casserly, who knew he would be permanetly injuries. Ragone was a head scratcher, maybe it was cap related - don't know.

I can't comment on the rest, sounds like you know more than I do. Just started looking into this when without explanation we started to look like we took a step back.

Dont get me wrong, Ilike Johnson, VERY worthy of the #3 pick and I am glad to have him. Its just going into that draft we gave up 76 sacks, we are a run first team and Jordan Gross is one SOLID Left tackle for the Carolina Panthers.

Joppru was not needed at all. We were solid at Te with Billy Miller and Mark Bruener.

Ragone was a ?????????????????? BIG TIME!
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #35
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle
Dont get me wrong, Ilike Johnson, VERY worthy of the #3 pick and I am glad to have him. Its just going into that draft we gave up 76 sacks, we are a run first team and Jordan Gross is one SOLID Left tackle for the Carolina Panthers.

Joppru was not needed at all. We were solid at Te with Billy Miller and Mark Bruener.

Ragone was a ?????????????????? BIG TIME!
Gross is the starting Right Tackle for Carolina.

http://www.ourlads.com/secure/depthchart.cfm?index1=CAR

I also disagree about needing a TE. Bruener became a Texan prior to last season, we drafted Bennie in the '03 draft. Even had we already had Bruener, it would be a good idea to develop a younger talented TE. As far as taking Joppru over the popular hindsight choice, the now Cowboy Jason Witten, we may never know as far as talent goes. He did not have a history of injuries coming out of college. Who's to say that if Bennie is not taken by the Texans he goes to another team where he becomes a productive TE? That is all speculation of course, but I don't fault the Texans for taking Joppru. I do fault them for not doing more to find a TE who can actually catch and block to help Carr and the offense. There's nothing that can be done about that now, but come this offseason they'd better.

Last edited by TexasJedi; 09-17-2005 at 09:07 PM.
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #36
Texan1
Veteran

Gold eagle,

There appears to be alot of ??? right now.....

It still point to the biggest error being the P Buc and Babin deals. Lost many draft picks on those transactions and those guys will both be busts. Sorry but its true 'beerlover'.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read