Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-14-2004   #1
ROC
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to ROC
Default What if....?

What is Jason Gildon came over to the Texans to fill in at linebacker? Wouldn't that be great? Jason's a little old, but I'd say he could do well there. This is just my opinion. Please... no flames.
ROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Only way I see him coming to Houston is to play for league/veteran minimum as a situational pass rusher.
Old 07-14-2004   #3
ROC
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to ROC

I agree with that, but he also has a nose for the football. That's more than most of the linebackers on the squad.
ROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I wouldnt want him. His sacks totals have decreased over the last couple of years and, more importantly, he would take away plays from Peek and Orr.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #5
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I'd bring him in on a 1 year deal. same with Trotter... let the compete with our squad... at the worst they would provide depth incase of injury at best a good year by either of them is probably better than most of the linebackers on our roster. I wouldn't mind the size of the contract as long as it was short ... cause at this point there are no more significant free agents to sign. regardless i dont see us signing either of them.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
I'd bring him in on a 1 year deal. same with Trotter... let the compete with our squad... at the worst they would provide depth incase of injury at best a good year by either of them is probably better than most of the linebackers on our roster. I wouldn't mind the size of the contract as long as it was short ... cause at this point there are no more significant free agents to sign. regardless i dont see us signing either of them.
i agree completely ... one year of gildon could be a big boost to this club but after that he's really cutting into our younguns. we're in a position of a team that needs to solidify our status as contenders and veterans like gildon can only help that cause while we build for the future. i feel that we do have real potential with peek & orr but until they're ready (which i dont think is now) we'll need more of a push from someone experienced to get to opposing qb's.
Old 07-14-2004   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He would only come in as a situational pass rusher and that role is Peek's right now. I don't think there is much of a chance to see him in Steel Blue. I think we are going to develop the guys we have at this point.

Here is a rather lengthy Jason Gildon thread that may have voiced their thoughts on.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2004   #8
SESupergenius

If we didn't have such a large group of young linebackers that have good potential, I'd take Gildon in a hearbeat. Gildon is better than Wong, Foreman, Babins, and possibly Sharper. His sack numbers may have been lower last year than previous seasons, but put it into perspective, he still ranked tied for 7th in the league amongst linebackers in sacks. But we need to either bring these potential linebackers along in a good progressive manner or snatch up Gildon if they don't. It wouldn't take Gildon long to fit right in to our scheme and that is what makes him a valuable and viable option.
Old 07-14-2004   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

How can you say Gildon is better than Sharper or Foreman? They play ILB he plays OLB. It's not like if one of our other LB's didn't work out, Gildon could just come in and take over their spot. He has one year left, maybe. The only reason I could see for him signing with him, is to show some of the younger guys the ropes for a year, but I personally do not like that idea, that is what the coaches are for, and the money we would have to spend on him could be spent elsewhere. Just my
Old 07-14-2004   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 208260 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
...Gildon is better than Wong, Foreman, Babins, and possibly Sharper. His sack numbers may have been lower last year than previous seasons, but put it into perspective, he still ranked tied for 7th in the league amongst linebackers in sacks. But we need to either bring these potential linebackers along in a good progressive manner or snatch up Gildon if they don't...
Gildon is so good that teams are tripping over each other to sign him. Well, not exactly. Gildon possibly better than Sharper? Put Jamie on the FA market & he's scooped up in a day. Gildon is better than Babin? How can you make that statement when you've never seen Babin play 1 down? There were rookie LBs better than Gildon last season. Why is it that Babin can't be better than Gildon a year later?

If Gildon is so great, why did the Steelers put him on the market? Sure, the salary cap had something to do with it. But Cowher is coming off a 6-10 season with pressure to get back into the playoffs. If Bill thought Gildon was a difference maker that would help put the Steelers back on the winning track, he would have found a way to keep Jason on the team. Instead, Gildon was released.

Wong has done everything the Texans have asked of him except get to the QB. He'll get one more chance. Peek is coming off his 1st full NFL offseason...he should be better. Gildon himself didn't become a starter until his 3rd season in the league, didn't get double digit sacks until his 5th year. Rather than throw money at a regressing player, I'd rather see the Texans stay the course and "bring these potential linebackers along in a good progressive manner".
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #11
SESupergenius

It's all about the cap son. That is why he going to be let go. Can you even name the guy that is going to replace him? Yeah i guess Gildon just all of the sudden got old from last years 7th ranking of sacks to this off season. Gildon is asking a lot of money and is exploring is options, trying to get the best deal he can. How can I say that Gildon IS better than Babin. Go back and do the research on rookie LB's in the 3-4. Gildon can have just a so called off season like he did last year and still stack up above what most rookie LB's in the 3-4 do their first year. How can you make that statement when you've never seen Babin play 1 down either? At least I've seen Gildon PROVE what he can do, you can just assume what Babin can do.

Gildon not bettter than Foreman? Are you kidding me? Is that a real arguement?

Quote:
Wong has done everything the Texans have asked of him except get to the QB.
um yea, but that is his main concentration as a OLB. And notice that we drafted a guy to replace him? Notice that we switched him? Thats all well and good but its about production.
So by your accounts we can expect things out Babin in 5 years?? Which is exactly my point. We could have Gildon in and mold Babin a bit for at least 2 years.

You are putting way too much expectations out Babin in his 1st couple of years.
Old 07-14-2004   #12
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Said it once, say it again!

HIS NICKNAME IS CHASIN' JASON GILDON!!!!! For a reason folks. It's easy to look at stats and say, this guy has to be productive. WRONG!!!! He was placed in great situations. Gildon is not the linebacker that many think he is. I spent that last 30 years of my life watching the Steelers in Pittsburgh, and for too long, fans wanted a change at Outside Linebacker, and the change is well overdue. All he can do is rush the passer under blitz packages....Well bring him to the Texans? Wrong again! If you bring in a one dimensional guy like that, the offense knows exactly what your going to do. Before you ask for something, you better know exactly what your getting. Gildon is no player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd rather see more depth at middle linebacker.
Old 07-14-2004   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 208260 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's all about the cap son. That is why he going to be let go. Can you even name the guy that is going to replace him?

Gildon not bettter than Foreman? Are you kidding me? Is that a real arguement?
Answer to question #1: Clark Haggans. The Texans brought him in last offseason when he was a RFA.

Answer to questions #2, #3, & #4: Huh? You need to get your vision checked, Dad. I never mentioned Foreman in my post. So I guess it's not a real argument. Surreal, perhaps.

Want to compare Gildon to other LB's? Playing OLB, he got 2 more sacks than Jamie Sharper did playing ILB. How many sacks does Gildon get on the depleted Texan defense of '03 compared to the stacked Steeler defense of '03? 3 or 4 maybe? And that's worth taking PT from guys like Babin and Peek?

Here's something else to consider: Bringing in Gildon on a 1 year contract could make the guy selfish in going for his next contract. Maybe he gets (gasp) 7 sacks, but ignores his other resonsibilities on defense. And why would the guy want to "mold" Babin or anyone else? What's in it for him if he's not here for the long term. Gildon is just not a good fit for this team at this time.
Old 07-14-2004   #14
SESupergenius

Quote:
I spent that last 30 years of my life watching the Steelers in Pittsburgh, and for too long, fans wanted a change at Outside Linebacker, and the change is well overdue
I've had been a Steelers fan for just as long before the Texans came about. I've seen the LB's come and go. There's been a quite a few that have been let go for cap reasons or they wanted too much money (see Brown, Nickerson, etc...)
Quote:
He was placed in great situations.
That is laughable. Gildon got made all those plays because he HAPPEND to be in a "great situation"? That was totally pointless. Gildon was still a main cog in the defense that ranked 9th in the league. You must be over-evaluating the defense for the lack of offensive production the Steelers had last year because it certainly wasn't the defense that was at fault. Haggans is good and I wanted him to land here, but is not the caliber of player that Gildon is, which is why he's only seen bit parts on the defense and he the Texans felt he was not all that.
Quote:
If you bring in a one dimensional guy like that, the offense knows exactly what your going to do
So I guess Gildon was the problem on the 9th ranked defense not being ranked better. Yea he has not leadership skills either.

Quote:
I never mentioned Foreman in my post
No you didn't but texans279 did. I don't think I'm going to create multiple posts for everyone I need to respond to.
Quote:
Bringing in Gildon on a 1 year contract
Never said we should bring him in for a year. 2 years would be good to A) get him into a cohesion with his new teammates B) school the younger linebackers, many of whom have not played in a 3-4. Players always say that learning from veterans is a valuable asset.
Quote:
What's in it for him if he's not here for the long term.
Long-term meaning what exactly? How long do you think most NFL players last? You see players move all the time. Who said he wouldn't be here for more than 1 season? Yes he is on the down side of his career, but still racks up the stats and has the veteran leadership and experience. There is a reason the Texans are rumored to have an interest in him, same with Bruener. But that is another debate, thing is, we landed him.
Old 07-14-2004   #15
Lucky

I guess being a Steeler fan explains why you think so much of Gildon. But what makes you think the Texans are interested? Dom Capers coached Gildon at Pittsburgh. He was on the opposite side of the field against Gildon several times. If Dom really wanted Jason in here, he'd be here.

Chris Mortenson says the 2 teams that have submitted offers to Gildon are the Bills & the Bengals. No mention of the Texans. Two out of 32 teams think Gildon is worth bringing in at this point in his career. Maybe you and these teams know something most of the league doesn't. We'll see.
Old 07-14-2004   #16
chicagotexan
All Pro

I'll take my chances with what we've got right now. We have young talent and the best way to see if it's good enough is to let these guys play.
chicagotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #17
SESupergenius

There has been interest in Gildon from the Texans, stay informed son.
Pittsburgh Newspaper

Quote:
I guess being a Steeler fan explains why you think so much of Gildon.
I was a Steeler fan, but follow most teams. I don't just throw out stuff. I guess Peter King must be a biased Steeler fan too since he rated Gildon the best player who will become available in June. BEST PLAYER! With as many as four teams interested in acquiring his services last month, Gildon is in a better position than most free agents who have been languishing on the shelf for weeks if not months
Quote:
If Dom really wanted Jason in here, he'd be here.
If Dom wasn't really interested in Jason he wouldn't have inquired about him. There's these things called Salaries and Cap issues. Also, Gildon is in the twilight of his career, maybe he wants to go to more established team with more potential in the next couple years. He does have a limitted time table and no ring. Of the team rumored to have interest in him we did have the worst record last year.
Old 07-14-2004   #18
Lucky

Quote:
There has been interest in Gildon from the Texans, stay informed son.
Trying to understand why you've chosen to adopt me...

Did my homework, Pops. Please check it for me.

Dateline July 14, 2004 (That's today):
Quote:
Dan (DC): Where is Jason Gildon going to land? Who will be lucky enough to get his services?

Chris Mortensen: It looks like the Bengals or Bills. Both teams are offering basically the same money. So, it's just his choice. I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it's the Bengals because he can play against his former team, the Steelers, twice a year.
BTW, unless you're discussing field hockey in the Montclair, NJ area or hazelnut cafe lattes in general, I'd stop using Peter King as a source. You don't come off as very football savvy that way.
Old 07-14-2004   #19
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67402 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Texanswars Part IV

Darth Ses: Lukey, you are my son
Lukey: No, I'm not. I refuse to be like you.

Darth Ses: Lukey, you must follow me. I am your Father. Come to the darkside Lukey. Feel the force.
Lukey: No, father. I fight evil on every MB in the universe.

Darth Ses: Son, First you must stop hanging out with the wookie you call Babin.
Lukey: But Father, this is his first yr on our moon Houston.

Darth Ses: He's no good. He hasn't proven himself worthy of the darkside.
Lukey: Oh Father, your impossible! Babin is a good wookie, he is better than all wookies before him. He would never come to the darkside.

Darth Ses: Son, I want you to marry Queen Gildon from the distant star Pittsburgh. Together, with your new bride, and my help, we will rule the universe, and no quarterback will dare enter the Deathstar.
Lukey: Father, did anyone ever tell you that you have a striking resemblence to Hans Wiley E. Coyote?

At the last scene, Lukey leaves, as his Father breaks down. Will Lukey join the darskide. Will Babin help Lukey destroy Darth Ses? Will queen Gildon descend with Darth Ses on the moon of Houston and kill the wookie Babin? Tune in for the next movie!

TexansWars Part V!

Porky gives this movie to hooves up, way up. I laughed, I cried, I squealed in delight. I loved it so much, I went immediately outside and jumped in a big pile of mud. This is a must see movie!

Last edited by Porky; 07-14-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #20
SESupergenius

I call you son because its obvious that you need to be schooled more, even now more than ever if you don't think that Peter King is not a reputable source. It just shows you lack more than I thought.

I don't understand why you need to quote Morty as saying that its down to 2 teams with Gildon? Ok nobody is debating that. Gildon and his agent have narrowed down 2 teams that want to shell out more money the the other teams were willing or could do. Nowhere can you quote that Texans were not interested in Gildon, NOWHERE! So my point still stand, the Texans did have some interest in Gildon.

Quote:
BTW, unless you're discussing field hockey in the Montclair, NJ area or hazelnut cafe lattes in general, I'd stop using Peter King as a source.
I see you had to go read his bio real quick. But he's been a writer for Sports Illustrated for 15 years, has four Associated Press Sports Editors awards for excellence in sports journalism, written five books, a halftime analyst for ABC's Monday Night Football, and on and on and on. Yeah, he sucks.

Here's a another guy that said the Texans were interested in Gildon, Alan Robinson - Associated Press

Bring it Mr. Moderation.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read