Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2005   #21
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
If you were the Texans GM who would you of drafted??
instead of Carr, Gaffney, Andre Johnson, Chester Pitts, Dominick Davis, Andre Johnson, Jason Babin, Dunta Robinson, Travis Johnson, Vernand Morency and any other pick that you think may be debateable??
i think you have AJ twice.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #22
Rob Base
Rookie

Definitely, defense first with a veteran QB. A defense can score you points first. It seemed like they gave Carr the keys to the city before he proved anything.
Rob Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #23
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
If you were the Texans GM who would you of drafted??
instead of Carr, Gaffney, Andre Johnson, Chester Pitts, Dominick Davis, Andre Johnson, Jason Babin, Dunta Robinson, Travis Johnson, Vernand Morency and any other pick that you think may be debateable??
'02
David Carr
Hard to say about second round '02. I know Portis was available, but honestly it probably wouldn't have been him.
Pitts wasn't a bad pick.

'03
Andre Johnson (would have been McGahee until he busted his knee in that bowl game)
Hard to argue with Dom Davis in the 4th round.

'04
Dunta Robinson (had two players ahead of him on board and both were gone by #10)
Wouldn't have made the Babin trade, though I don't really have a problem with it. Would probably have taken Antwan Odom in the 2nd to play the same spot.

'05
LB Derrick Johnson
No Buchanon trade (possible because wouldn't have let Glenn go for less than a 2nd, which we wouldn't get)
CB Justin Miller in 2nd (Robinson-Glenn-Miller-Faggins-Coleman-Earl for the dime secondary - are you kidding me?)
DE (OLB for us) Justin Tuck in 3rd at 73 (I had him graded 2nd round)
RB Morency in 3rd at 78 (I made this pick for the Texans in a GM mock draft at one point)

Last edited by Sarg01; 09-15-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #24
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have used a 4-3 defense mainly because of Julius Peppers

'02
Rd 1 - DE Julius Peppers
Rd 2 - LG Toniu Fonoti
Rd 2 - RG Chester Pitts

'03
Rd 1 - WR Andre Johnson (like most people I wanted Willis McGahee until his injury)
Rd 2 - FS Ken Hamlin

'04
Rd 1 - CB Dunta Robinson (I cant lie I wanted Sean Taylor and DeAngelo Hall more but both were gone)
Rd 1 - WR Michael Jenkins

'05
Rd 1 - OLB Derrick Johnson
Trade for Pbuch

'06
Rd 1 - Hopfully AJ Hawk OLB if not him then a top ranked LT or QB
Four years is not enough to build a team around the draft
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #25
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
Thank you. Fans keep bringing up the amount of players we've drafted that are on the roster as a negative. I think someone should research the amount of players other teams have that they drafted from the same timeframe on their rosters. It's not like we could have an 8 year veteran that we drafted still on the roster.
Old 09-15-2005   #26
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Carr (still)
Jordan Gross (over Andre Johnson)
David Pollack (over Johnston)
Mike Jenkins (over Jason Babin)
Anquon Boldin (over Joppru)
Clinton Portis/ Deshaun Foster (over Gaffney)

WHO CHARLIE DRAFTED AND I WAS LIKE "WTH!"

Andre Johnson: Not because he is not worthy, but why draft a WR when Jordan Gross was there and you had a RUN orient team first?

Dave Ragone:: a 3rd pick the next year after you drafted your franchise QB?? What a waste of a pick

Bennie Joppru:: You had Billy Miller and you draft this guy who no one knew much about? Injuries aside because you cannot predict those, but Miller was solid and you brought in Bruener so this pick was a waste.

Jason Babin:; Perhaps if we kept Foley and Posey there would have not been a need for this waste of a pick and we could have had Jenkins who looks good in Atlanta.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #27
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
you know at this point the only thing i'm upset with is this year. at this point they knew the line was horrendous and they did nothing. Jamal Brown, Alex Barron, Khalif Barnes, Bass, Elton Brown there were some decent options at linemen
Alex Barron is not a true LT. Jamal Brown is a RT Tackle. Klafief Brown is not a first rounder. Bass was a second rounder and we would have had no chance getting him anyway. Elton Brown was cut.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2005   #28
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would have used a 4-3 defense mainly because of Julius Peppers

'02
Rd 1 - DE Julius Peppers
Rd 2 - LG Toniu Fonoti
Rd 2 - RG Chester Pitts

'03
Rd 1 - WR Andre Johnson (like most people I wanted Willis McGahee until his injury)
Rd 2 - FS Ken Hamlin

'04
Rd 1 - CB Dunta Robinson (I cant lie I wanted Sean Taylor and DeAngelo Hall more but both were gone)
Rd 1 - WR Michael Jenkins

'05
Rd 1 - OLB Derrick Johnson
Trade for Pbuch

'06
Rd 1 - Hopfully AJ Hawk OLB if not him then a top ranked LT or QB
Not a bad list, but who would have been the QB?
Also, AJ Hawk is likely going to be a high pick, so to get him we might need to be a pretty bad team and I have not given up on the season. This draft is pretty stocked of LTs. It might be possible to pick up Hawk with pick 1 and then a pretty good LT in the second round.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 09-16-2005   #29
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Casserly just stated on the radio (610) that he never listens to the fans. He "doesn't have time" ..
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #30
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
Not a bad list, but who would have been the QB?
Also, AJ Hawk is likely going to be a high pick, so to get him we might need to be a pretty bad team and I have not given up on the season. This draft is pretty stocked of LTs. It might be possible to pick up Hawk with pick 1 and then a pretty good LT in the second round.
I didnt pick a QB yet because I would rather build a good team then pick a QB. I would probably pick a QB in 07.
Old 09-16-2005   #31
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

For all of the people who want the texans to draft a QB next year can you at least wait until 07. First off by then we will know for sure if carr is a bust or not. Also Chris Leak from florida and Marcus Vick will be available.
Old 09-16-2005   #32
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm beginning to think Carr can't throw on the run . I'm thinking the league knows this . To throw on the run the elbow has to be up ... try throwing like Carr running to the side you lose your arm strength .

Leak is lot like Drew Brees . He's not the biggest but he can play .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #33
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
Thank you. Fans keep bringing up the amount of players we've drafted that are on the roster as a negative. I think someone should research the amount of players other teams have that they drafted from the same timeframe on their rosters. It's not like we could have an 8 year veteran that we drafted still on the roster.
Of the Steelers' 22 starters, 18 were drafted by them. 8 with four or less years of experience.

Of the Patriots' 22 starters, 16 were drafted by them. 12 with four or less years of experience.

By comparison the Texans have 9 draft picks who are starters with 4 or less years of experience.

The most telling of these stats is that both Pittsburgh and New England's offensive and defensive lines were almost exclusively picked by their teams and are very young. While the Texan's lines were built thru free agency and are both (arguably) overpaid and (inarguably) under-productive. This game is won in the trenches.

Another difference is that these team draft future Pro Bowl talent. The Texans' only bona fide, legitimate Pro Bowl type guys are Robinson and Dre... and Dre may never make another Pro Bowl in this offense.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #34
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Of the Steelers' 22 starters, 18 were drafted by them. 8 with four or less years of experience.

Of the Patriots' 22 starters, 16 were drafted by them. 12 with four or less years of experience.

By comparison the Texans have 9 draft picks who are starters with 4 or less years of experience.
Thanks Wonger. That shows me that we are about normal in draft pick to starter ratio. That's not to say we are in either of those teams league atm, but still it can't be used as a negative stat IMO.

As for the o-line and d-line, I've stated before that I think that those should be built before anything else on the club. Seemed like CC tried to build a solid o-line the first year with the expansion draft and the Pitts and Weary picks the first season. It was, obviously, a failed attempt that we are still trying to recover from.

I also agree that AJ may be in for a trying time if we don't fix the offense. It's tough to make the Probowl with 50 catches and low yards. Dunta may never get the stats to make a Probowl either though. Until Buchanon makes a few INTs they'll just ignore his side IMO.
Old 09-17-2005   #35
awtysst
Draft Guru

Quote:
I didnt pick a QB yet because I would rather build a good team then pick a QB. I would probably pick a QB in 07.
Ok. But who would you have started at QB in 02. Would you have found an older FA or drafted a mid to late draft QB to just get by?

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 09-17-2005   #36
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
I'm beginning to think Carr can't throw on the run . I'm thinking the league knows this . To throw on the run the elbow has to be up ... try throwing like Carr running to the side you lose your arm strength .

Leak is lot like Drew Brees . He's not the biggest but he can play .
I agree 100% on your take on Carr. He is a terrifc runner, but a horrible passer on the run.
Old 09-17-2005   #37
Elite
Veteran

Now there's a smart man great picks i wish thats how we really would of drafted.

1-Julius Peppers DE
2-Toniu Fonoti G
2B-Clinton Portis RB

1-Jordan Gross OT
2-E J Henderson
2B-Ken Hamlin DB

1-Any of the 4 QBs-Manning, Rivers, Roethlisburger, or Losman
2-Jake Grove C

1-Derrick Johnson LB
2-Justin Miller DB

BCKEY Try sending and email to bob mcnair you would do a better job than the joke of a gm we have.
Old 09-18-2005   #38
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
Ok. But who would you have started at QB in 02. Would you have found an older FA or drafted a mid to late draft QB to just get by?
Both but i would have started the older FA for a year or two
Old 09-18-2005   #39
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite
Now there's a smart man great picks i wish thats how we really would of drafted.

1-Julius Peppers DE
2-Toniu Fonoti G
2B-Clinton Portis RB

1-Jordan Gross OT
2-E J Henderson
2B-Ken Hamlin DB

1-Any of the 4 QBs-Manning, Rivers, Roethlisburger, or Losman
2-Jake Grove C

1-Derrick Johnson LB
2-Justin Miller DB

BCKEY Try sending and email to bob mcnair you would do a better job than the joke of a gm we have.
I like the list to but who would be our WR
Old 09-18-2005   #40
mes311
Rookie

No way I would take Gross over AJ. And in 2002, the Texans thought they had a franchise LT in Boselli to protect a new QB. There were 3 OT taken in the first 10 picks that year: Mike Williams, Bryannt McKinnie, and Levi Jones. Knowing what we know now about Boselli, drafting an OT that year may have been better instead of a QB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read