Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2005   #1
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer
Default If you were GM....

If you were the Texans GM who would you of drafted??
instead of Carr, Gaffney, Andre Johnson, Chester Pitts, Dominick Davis, Andre Johnson, Jason Babin, Dunta Robinson, Travis Johnson, Vernand Morency and any other pick that you think may be debateable??
HardKnockTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
If you were the Texans GM who would you of drafted??
instead of Carr, Gaffney, Andre Johnson, Chester Pitts, Dominick Davis, Andre Johnson, Jason Babin, Dunta Robinson, Travis Johnson, Vernand Morency and any other pick that you think may be debateable??
The Pepsi machine and the Burger King dude.

Oh, and Mrs. McNabb. Might also throw in Big Bird and the Cookie Monster might be a good SS.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cannot really debate this, hindsight is 20/20...
Old 09-14-2005   #4
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Big Bird?? are you kidding me? his legs are like twigs! But the Burger King highstepd like Deion! but seriously... the Burger King isnt real... so i guess i'd go with Pepsi Machine
Old 09-14-2005   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was thinking about the tazmanian devil for ILB.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Exactly, it's not really something that you can debate.

Looking at what we've done right now I can't say I wouldn't have drafted Joppru for instance because we needed a TE and he was a good one.

Two things I can say for certain are that I would not have taken Dave Ragone with the pick they used on him. To this day I don't think we needed another young QB that badly yet. I also would have taken Derrick Johnson when he fell to us instead of trading down for TJ. I think that was just a flat out no brainer and has a good chance of coming back to haunt us later on. I'll hate watching him go to Pro Bowls if TJ doesn't develop the way the team thinks he can.

The only other thing I can say I probably would have done differently was the Jason Babin trade. I don't think I would have given up those picks to get him. I know hindsight is 20/20 and the jury is very much still out on Babin (who's doing good). I'm just saying I don't think I would have traded that much to get him. The price seemed steep to me at the time.

I'd like to say I wouldn't have given a 2 for Tony Hollings but I don't honestly know if I would have or not. At the time I was pretty excited about the possibilities and we needed a running back. That was a calculated risk but 2's were too valuable IMO to be risking that soon in the franchises life. Tough call.
Old 09-14-2005   #7
aggieNzona
Rookie

Default Drafts didn't grade out well

The last two I think the best grade I saw was a C.
They have baffeled the "experts" each day 1.
While hindsite is 20/20 nobody thought the Texans nailed it either.
It didn't matter if one talked need or BAA most were not impressed with the Texans last 2 drafts.
aggieNzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2005   #8
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Trading down this year seemed just flat out crazy to me... especially when we were in dire need of LB's. I remember being so pumped about Derrick Johnson still being on the board when it was our pick.. and so dumbfounded when i saw we traded down.
Every year I was wanting someone besides the player we got, except for David Carr because everyone knew he was the pick before the draft.
In year two i was really hoping for McGahee, and then he went down. Then I wanted to see us get Charles Rogers... we ended up with Andre Johnson. After that happend I started having a lot of faith in Casserly because Rogers got hurt and Johnson was and is an absolute beast.
In year 3 I was really pulling for trading up and going after Sean Taylor, and if not Taylor get DeAngelo Hall. We ended up with Dunta Robinson and as we all know, he too is an amazing pick. This added to my faith in the front office.
The Travis Johnson pick is too early to call, but I really REALLY thought that Derrick Johnson would be sporting a Texans uni.
The later rounds are hit and miss. After Dominick Davis did what he did I was REALLY glad we didnt get McGahee. Pitts still hasnt shown me he's the man all the Houston sports talk people say he is. Glen Earl was solid and C.C. Brown seems to be pulling his own. I also like the Gaffney pick. I think on an established team he would shine.
Old 09-14-2005   #9
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

you know at this point the only thing i'm upset with is this year. at this point they knew the line was horrendous and they did nothing. Jamal Brown, Alex Barron, Khalif Barnes, Bass, Elton Brown there were some decent options at linemen
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #10
outofhnd
All Pro

If I was GM, forget about draft! I would fire Chris Palmer and hire a new Offensive Coordinator. This offense has had three years to develop and protection has not been addressed, I would see Wand could be moved to RG to replace Wiegart. Or put Weary in the starting role and see how he handles it. Palmer could stay on as a QB coach and help Carr with his development. Draft wise the only thing I wish we wouldve done differently is draft Clinton Portis in the second round instead of Gaffney.
Old 09-14-2005   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieNzona
The last two I think the best grade I saw was a C.
They have baffeled the "experts" each day 1.
While hindsite is 20/20 nobody thought the Texans nailed it either.
It didn't matter if one talked need or BAA most were not impressed with the Texans last 2 drafts.
You didn't look very hard. The first one I went to:

2005 B+
2004 A after 1 year

Not saying everyone graded them that high. IMO we are just now getting to the point where we can really judge the 2002 draft.
Old 09-14-2005   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have time to break it down, but overall I find that the Texans are conservative in every area except player acquisition. The Hollings, Babin and Buchannon moves were all swings for homeruns instead of letting the draft come to them and taking solid quality players.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were GM and I would mandate a team builder based around trust for our Offense.

I know it is a hokey activity, but all ideas should be in play.
Old 09-14-2005   #14
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
If I was GM, forget about draft! I would fire Chris Palmer and hire a new Offensive Coordinator. This offense has had three years to develop and protection has not been addressed, I would see Wand could be moved to RG to replace Wiegart. Or put Weary in the starting role and see how he handles it. Palmer could stay on as a QB coach and help Carr with his development. Draft wise the only thing I wish we wouldve done differently is draft Clinton Portis in the second round instead of Gaffney.

sry but i dont agree with much of what you said. wand had a taste of rg and he looked horrible. weary is closer to being cut than starting. i doubt if palmer would except a job as qb coach. and nobody wanted portis untill after the fact. and even if we would of drafted portis he wouldnt of done any better than davis. maybe we draft portis then denver gets davis. portis gets killed behind our o-line and davis runs for 1800 yards with denver. then you guys are wondering why we didnt draft davis.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #15
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think you can go past the first round in a discussion like this because everything changes if you change your pick. I'll go 2 rounds just for fun though.

Here's my 1st and 2nd round picks:

2002 David Carr & Jabar Gaffney
Carr seemed like a solid QB with potential to be great. Gaffney was graded as a 1st round pick and I was excited to see we landed him.
HINDSIGHT: I think you need to establish your team as an expansion franchise BEFORE drafting a QB to be your future. Banks or another mediocre QB should have been at the helm for the first 2 seasons at least.

2003 Andre Johnson & EJ Henderson
I would have rathered Charles Rogers but he was already picked and AJ seemed like a stud without Rogers' soft hands. EJ seemed like he'd be a great ILB.
HINDSIGHT: AJ is better than Rogers so I'd have been lucky. I wouldn't have been looking for a TE but if I would have been, I liked Witten better than Dallas Clark or Joppru.

2004 Tommie Harris, Teddy Lehman & Randy Starks
We had bad problems with the D-line in 03. Harris may not have been the perfect DE for the 3-4 but he was a playmaker. Lehman would have been in place of the Hollings pick. Yes-I would have tried to get Hollings but felt a 3 (much less a 2) was risky for an injured player with 4 games under his belt. Starks was projected as a 1st rounder and played in the 3-4. To me-it would seem to be a great pick up with our 2nd round pick. No way would I have traded 3 picks for Babin. May turn out to be a steal but I wouldn't have done it.
HINDSIGHT: Starks hasn't shown anything yet but may have fit in better here in the 3-4. Lehman may not have fit in the 3-4 either but I don't believe you have to get cookie cutter players for a system. Playmakers always should take priority. He may have been a bust. I would have missed out on Dunta.

2005 Derrick Johnson & Terrence Murphy
I was absolutely shocked that we traded down with DJ on the board. TJ wouldn't have been on my radar since I would have attempted to address the d-line in previous seasons. Murphy would be my pick in the 2nd but I would have done everything I could to trade out of this round.
HINDSIGHT: Not really any yet.

Overall my thoughts on building a team are defense before offense and secure the lines first. I wouldn't have picked an o-lineman in the 1st 2 rounds unless I traded for more picks. That's not to say I NEVER would but given where our picks were the o-line would have been reaches IMO. Sharper would have been gone after 2003. I was never high on him and he had value at that time. Most veterans with value would have been traded if possible to be honest. I would have drafted interior o-linemen in rounds 3-4 whenever they were value picks. I'm sure my o-line would have been just as bad as ours but it wouldn't be Carr getting killed.

I'm sure that our drafts would have been better and I sure could have lied and made the "correct" picks instead of what I felt would be right at the time of the drafts.
Old 09-14-2005   #16
RocCityJag
Rookie

who is the texans GM?
RocCityJag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #17
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocCityJag
who is the texans GM?
Are you kidding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #18
RocCityJag
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
Are you kidding?

NO i dont like the texans how would I know?
RocCityJag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocCityJag
NO i dont like the texans how would I know?
Why would anyone around here want to help out a self-avowed anti-Texan? It's out there on the web, let your fingers do the typing.
Old 09-14-2005   #20
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

1-Julius Peppers DE
2-Toniu Fonoti G
2B-Clinton Portis RB

1-Jordan Gross OT
2-E J Henderson
2B-Ken Hamlin DB

1-Any of the 4 QBs-Manning, Rivers, Roethlisburger, or Losman
2-Jake Grove C

1-Derrick Johnson LB
2-Justin Miller DB
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read