Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2005   #21
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
I think its Palmer's fault for swtching to a zone block scheme. We have massive big O line man who are not the mobile nimble lineman that a zone scheme requires.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, isnt zone blocking just for run plays? Pass protection has not changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #22
BringItOn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, isnt zone blocking just for run plays? Pass protection has not changed?
You're absolutely right. Theoretically, zone blocking shouldn't affect the pass blocking.

it's clear that we either don't have the talent on the line, don't have the coaching or a bit of both.
BringItOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #23
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr lost one of his main targets at tight end to let a tight end have a place on the injured list, That is Capers fault and there is no excuse. Billy could catch a cold in 105 degree heat, He didn't block that well but David and DD don't run that well when we cannot throw. Our tight ends are Blocking bodies and useless in the Pass. Tom Brady can beat you with his tight ends only.
The problem is we have an offense that is geared for passing but we have a coach that wants to run the ball, we are all mixed up and the players are confused cause the play book is the worst in the NFL. David Carr is a scared puppy and needs some rest to heal after 1 game. Bret Farve plays at his age with out the pain killers. I believe it is a coaching problem and it showed at the post game press conference when Capers says he is not worried. I am not worried either, I am MAD as HELL, Come on Dom where is your anger at such a pitiful excuse of a football game. Bill Parcells would have punched a camera man or reporter. When the players see it doesn't bother you it doesn't bother them either. Well It bothers Joe Texan alot and I want something done about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ranting done

Lets Beat Pittsburgh
Old 09-14-2005   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan
Carr lost one of his main targets at tight end to let a tight end have a place on the injured list,
Having Joppru on the PUP or IR lists has not lost anyone there spot on the 53 man roster.
Old 09-14-2005   #25
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan
Bret Farve plays at his age with out the pain killers.
Favre also DID use painkillers when he was Carr's age thanks to.....bad o-line, poor blocking, etc... Wonder if thats why he had his little problem pain killers way back when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #26
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 279120 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I'm up in the air about Carr. Part of me sees the same things that were problems that were scouted in college (ie. locking on to #1 receiver, holding onto the ball too long)...

But then the other part of me realizes that any young QB put into his position - starter on a new franchise - would suffer the same fate and develop the same happy feet tendencies.

I honestly don't know right now...I've seen moments of potential and brilliance, so I still have a lot of hope for our QB. But I'm wondering if he's burned out and/or lacking faith in the system, coaches, and/or ability of the rest of the offense to protect him.

His eyes looked...different than in past press conferences. Almost like he's tired of being tired of it all.

But hopefully we'll see fire in those same eyes this Sunday. And that same fire should be in the rest of the team, too.
Old 09-14-2005   #27
SESupergenius

So are we to think that offensive line is fine, it's just that Carr is not that good. So Riley was the answer to our problems and now we have a solid line?

I think I am going to be sick.
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2005   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

After breaking down every single snap of the game I came to the conclusion that the line played pretty well. Dom Davis, Matt Murphy, Jon Wells and Noran Morris are horrible pass blockers though. They missed the blitz several times and the line gave Carr as much time as I saw in most NFL games this weekend. If you take out the emotion and roll each play and look at it honestly you can see where the breakdowns occur. I felt much better about the team the line and much worse about Carr and the above mentioned cast afterwards.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
So are we to think that offensive line is fine, it's just that Carr is not that good. So Riley was the answer to our problems and now we have a solid line?

This line still is HIGHLY Questionable at best ....In fact I would say they are near or at the bottom in both run and pass blocking ..... and their stats Vs. the Bills would substantiate that statement ..... add to that 140 sacks in the past 3 seasons .... CASE CLOSED

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #30
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius

Well, if different people are going back and taking another look at the tape, and seeing that the average time to throw is on par with the other teams . . .

. . . then maybe the problem is not the offensive line.

I'm ready to switch to another quarterback. (And I've been a Carr defender since Day ONE, so don't even think about it. )
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #31
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
After breaking down every single snap of the game I came to the conclusion that the line played pretty well. Dom Davis, Matt Murphy, Jon Wells and Noran Morris are horrible pass blockers though. They missed the blitz several times and the line gave Carr as much time as I saw in most NFL games this weekend. If you take out the emotion and roll each play and look at it honestly you can see where the breakdowns occur. I felt much better about the team the line and much worse about Carr and the above mentioned cast afterwards.
There is not doubt that Carr had a bad game, but at the same time there is no way that all this is on him. I saw your analysis and breakdown and on several of your comments on Carr you were reaching. Intentional or not that is the way it came across. Sure Carr made some bonehead plays, but you are acting like that line was solid all game and it clearly was not. And in essence you are saying that the line is fine and that it is all Carr. So Riley was the key to our cog and the line of Riley, Pitts, McKinney, Wade, and Weigert is going to take us to the promised land if we have a good QB? What about the running aspect of our game, was this DD fault along with the TE's and FB's?

Last edited by SESupergenius; 09-14-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2005   #32
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
People, you should pay attention to this post. People (plural) are rewatching the game and finding this out, and that includes me. It wasn't the O-line. They weren't great or anything, but they were much better than we've been giving them credit for. Carr wasn't protected well, but it wasn't the O-line's fault and he does have happy feet, not that I can really blame him. Bradford is NOT a #2 receiver.

Most of the sacks came from one of the following examples:

1) We use a slot receiver instead of TE. Corner covering the slot blitzes. Neither DD or Norris blocks him. SACK

2) Matt Murphy at TE. LB runs through Murphy, around Norris, and right over DD. SACK. 3 blockers and nobody successfull.

3) 4 OL have all DL blocked and there is a 5th O-linemen left. He gangs up on the closest DL, unnecessarilly. A DELAYED LB blitzer comes through the middle unseen.

4) Carr feels a little pressure and should step up into the pocket. Instead, he rolls out and suddenly there is a race to get to him. The O-linemen are the slowest runners on the field. They cannot get there and protect him before the corners and LB get there to kill him. He should stop running away from his protection.

I do not remember seeing a DL het a sack, although I didn't tape the 1st half. It was not the O-line that blew it. Bradford never gets open, our O-linemen are the only ones who DID pass block, and Carr is running when it's not necessary.

Last edited by HJam72; 09-14-2005 at 04:00 PM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #33
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
It wasn't the O-line. They weren't great or anything, but they were much better than we've been giving them credit for.
They were also judged too harshly last year. They may not have been great, but they were servicable.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #34
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default ...see Capers smiling

...don't you know Capers loves everybody blaming our horrible passing
game on everyone but him---Capers missed his calling as he should be
a used car salesman--and for those who think Capers will effectively
change anything, well...have a nice day
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #35
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I may be in the minority here .... but Im not ready for a QB controversy YET . First of all this offensive system is totally flawed if the personel is taken into consideration .

Second Carr has ONE , count them ONE NFL calibur reciever to throw to and he's usually double or triple covered .

Third ... who's job is it to PICK UP THE BLITZ ? Sure as he** isnt Carr's ....This has been a problem since day one and yet everyone says Carr has "Happy Feet" ....I think its safe to say if you got saked 140+ times in the past three years and knocked on your CAN an un-real amount of times that arent recorded ... You would have happy feet too .

Before you throw the cat out for peeing on the carpet .... you better make sure it wasnt the dog .

So you say you watched the game again and DD , Wells and Murphy missed picking up the blitz ? ..... How are you blaming Carr for their failure ? (See Above)

Bottom Line is that Carr doesnt get enough time ... be it a tackle blowing an assignment or the TE or RB missing a blitzing LB .

The only thing I think Carr is guilty of is trying to do too much sometimes .... instead of just throwing it away he throws into coverage .... Sure , He locks onto AJ .... but take a look at Gaffeny in the last game and you'll see why he does that and checks down to DD.

Dont throw out the Cat .... It was the DOG !

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #36
NFLforher
All Pro

Quote:

4) Carr feels a little pressure and should step up into the pocket. Instead, he rolls out and suddenly there is a race to get to him. The O-linemen are the slowest runners on the field. They cannot get there and protect him before the corners and LB get there to kill him. He should stop running away from his protection.

Running away from what protection? When you have been sacked as many times as he has that should clue everybody in to the fact that he has little or no "protection."
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow, fun to watch which way the wind blows. (Not refering to you Vinny but to what people are taking your opinion and running with). There is a whole lot of room between the QB isn't the problem at all and the OL isn't a problem at all, but it seems like everyone wants to view this as a light-switch analysis.

Having looked back at the game also, it is clear the sacks were not primarily the responsibility of the OL. That doesn't equate to good or even average coverage. There were some plays where Carr had "average" NFL time to throw. There were also a ton of plays where there were hurries which were allowed by the OL. Not only were hurries allowed, but it matters where they come from. Carr isn't the best at sliding sideways or up into a pocket, but both of those presume some sort of pocket where the center isn't collapsed. Sure he has that sometimes and doesn't take full advantage of it, but at the same time he doesn't have it enough. Bottom line IMO, the OL still had considerably below average pass protection even if they only gave up one sack. On the other hand, Carr was way below average in his reaction to the poor pass protection--having too happy of feet, failing to react subtly to pressure, locking on, failing to see open WR's, etc. Bulger was sacked 7 times last weekend and put up 362 yds, 2 TD's and 1 INT. Bledsoe was sacked 4 times and put up 226 yds with 3 TD's and no INT's. No need to try to lay blame at the doorstep of one or the other because in the end, complain as much as we want, Carr and the OL are here for the season and both the OL and Carr can and need to play much better.
Old 09-14-2005   #38
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr's not the biggest problem and I'm not saying that he is. I doubt that we would gain anything from playing our other QBs. It's other people that are really upset with Carr. I'm just saying that SOMETIMES it's his fault. Sometimes he is not protected (it's almost always somebody other than an O-lineman at fault--judging by the last game) and other times he rolls out when he shouldn't. I also saw him run forward and NOT get a first down once when he could've thrown a pass to the same receiver who was be covered by the gay who wound up tackling him (Carr). He could've thrown a 10 yd. pass and instead ran for about 8 yds. I THINK the receiver was Murphy (TE). This is not the biggest mistake in the world, but it cost us a first down and he took a shot that was unnecessary.

Most of the problems seemed to be on the right side. I'm not sure, but I think Moran Norris blocks Carr's left side on pass plays. It looked like DD's pass blocking really hurt us. I wouldn't even think about letting Matt Murphy on the field anymore unless Bruener is unable to play. DD was so bad at pass blocking that I would consider using Wells because of it, unless DD can successfully do to dump-off guy thing, which wasn't working at all against Buffalo.

Old 09-14-2005   #39
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
(Not refering to you Vinny but to what people are taking your opinion and running with).
Read the thread "I watched the game again last night and was surprised..."

Old 09-14-2005   #40
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Read the thread "I watched the game again last night and was surprised..."
I did and IMO people (not speaking of anyone in particular) are taking the observation that only 1 sack came from the OL and running too much with it. Basically, too many people, not everyone but too many, want to act like there are culprits and good guys on this. As far as I am concerned there were nothing but mediocre guys out there on offense last week. Now was that their full potential?--no way and it really is pretty silly to act like it is.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read