Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2005   #1
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 115170 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Carr Article - CNNSI

Havent see this posted yet:

SI

Quote:
I give David Carr credit. The Houston Texans quarterback didn't hide his feelings. He didn't act like it was only one game. He stood before a crowd of reporters Sunday afternoon, with his shoulders slumped and his eyes scanning the tattered carpet in an interview room at Ralph Wilson Stadium, and then admitted his pain in the wake of Houston's 22-7 loss to Buffalo. The word he kept using to describe his day: "Helpless."

For those who think Carr shouldn't be taking a humbling, season-opening defeat so hard, trust me, you are wrong. He should be disturbed by what happened, as should the rest of the Texans organization. This is the season they had been pointing to. This is the year when both the team and its fourth-year quarterback are supposed to make a major leap in their development. This was the game when they expected to show everybody how much they had grown. Instead, all we know is that they're still a long way from where they want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
Havent see this posted yet:

SI
I give David Carr credit. The Houston Texans quarterback didn't hide his feelings. He didn't act like it was only one game. He stood before a crowd of reporters Sunday afternoon, with his shoulders slumped and his eyes scanning the tattered carpet in an interview room at Ralph Wilson Stadium, and then admitted his pain in the wake of Houston's 22-7 loss to Buffalo. The word he kept using to describe his day: "Helpless."

For those who think Carr shouldn't be taking a humbling, season-opening defeat so hard, trust me, you are wrong. He should be disturbed by what happened, as should the rest of the Texans organization. This is the season they had been pointing to. This is the year when both the team and its fourth-year quarterback are supposed to make a major leap in their development. This was the game when they expected to show everybody how much they had grown. Instead, all we know is that they're still a long way from where they want to be.
Good article, though very much a rehash of what most of already know. Body
language says alot, and DCs demeanor left no doubt he was a whipped guy.
Whether its his fault or not the way things are going for him now, Carr may get to the place where there's more than the heat and humidity that he doesn't like about his experience here. People get burnt out all the time and
need a change and Carr is a wealthy young man who may feel at some point
he might want to ply his trade elsewhere. Others may also be willing to
help him move along.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #3
Diehardtexan
Veteran

Those looks he had I 've seen them only on the likes of Akili Smith and David Klingler. He needs to hold his head up and say I played bad today but it will be a different game next week. I can't stand A player that Looks like he is about to cry. Lick your wounds and get up and get ready to fight a new fight. :brickwall
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #4
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardtexan
Those looks he had I 've seen them only on the likes of Akili Smith and David Klingler. He needs to hold his head up and say I played bad today but it will be a different game next week. I can't stand A player that Looks like he is about to cry. Lick your wounds and get up and get ready to fight a new fight. :brickwall
Let me throw 300 lbs defensive lineman at you 143 times in 3 years and tell me if you wont look a little discouraged when you realize there is no end in sight.
Old 09-13-2005   #5
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

This coaching staff has ruined a potentially good QB.

On one hand, I feel sorry for the guy.

On the other, he gets paid millions of dollars to perform, no matter what the conditions.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally I think timing is everything..

1st season 1st round Carr.
2nd season best player we could have drafted.. AJ
3rd season best player Dante
4th season well TJ is still questionable.

but out of the 4 seasons and where we drafted.. there wasn't an OL that was worth the status of basically where we drafted.
McKinney?
Last season most of the linemen weren't worth the pick we had.

Next season I hear there are some linemen coming in the draft.
and if people talk about Bass and company .. look at the depth chart on the other teams that drafted them.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll just repeat what I said on another thread.

I listen a lot to NFL Sirius Radio . . and Pat Kirwin put it in far better words than I ever could. He said that the Houston Texans are well on their way to turning David Carr . . into another Tim Couch.

And Ill add -

It won't be long before the fans at Reliant Stadium will treat him like Tim Couch, too.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2005   #8
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
Personally I think timing is everything..

1st season 1st round Carr.
2nd season best player we could have drafted.. AJ
3rd season best player Dante
4th season well TJ is still questionable.

but out of the 4 seasons and where we drafted.. there wasn't an OL that was worth the status of basically where we drafted.
McKinney?
Last season most of the linemen weren't worth the pick we had.

Next season I hear there are some linemen coming in the draft.
and if people talk about Bass and company .. look at the depth chart on the other teams that drafted them.
I don't think that's an excuse. The Texasn weren't locked into thier positions, the could have made a trade to get a good lineman. They traded down for TJ this year, and last year they jumped through hoops to trade up for Babin. If the Texans wanted to draft a lineman, they coulda drafted a lineman.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
I don't think that's an excuse. The Texasn weren't locked into thier positions, the could have made a trade to get a good lineman. They traded down for TJ this year, and last year they jumped through hoops to trade up for Babin. If the Texans wanted to draft a lineman, they coulda drafted a lineman.
honestly. I am trying to think who would have made an impact?
most of the tackles that were last year would be RT's now. we have Wade.
Centers.. I can't think of anyone that has made an impact also (bass is 2nd or 3rd string right now for the 49ers.)
Guards.. I admit I can't think of any.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I would FIRE capers before I'd give up on Carr . I would turn the offense over to Palmer and see what he does . If we still suck after week 5 fire him to. We will find the weekest link .

CC has either over estimated talent or he's got some bad coaches . On the Lines alone he brought in .

Robaire Smith
Travis Johnson (draft)
Wade
Wiegert
Mckinney
Pitts ( 20 mil )
Walker & Payne (not cheap )

Either we missed judged 8 lineman or we're not on the same page . I get the feeling we could screw up an O-line of Munoz , Hannah, Webster, Allen and Pace . That has really hurt Carr . He should at least be as good as Trent Green .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You forgot the legendary Ryan Young and our other "bookend" tackle of the future Tony Boselli.
Old 09-13-2005   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

:brickwall I was thinking of guys who actually stuck . We could add Wand , Weary , Brown , Riley and Washington to the list .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #13
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
That's something that really bothers me. Everybody knows they went after Boselli in the first year (you know your Texans history, too), and I thought, "Hey, smart. They're building a wall for their franchise QB. The mark of a smart franchise."

They've done nothing since they lost Boselli, outside of Wade. I know other people on this board had questions about Carr from day one (fine, fair), but the front office and the coaching staff owe(d) him a chance.

David Carr has done a fine job with what he had to work with. But MAN, I want him to come back this Sunday with that same fire and ability to take his shots and get back up and do his best. I also hope everyone else comes out to play like they are playing for their football lives. I say this because we were promised a lot of things during the offseason. I'm holding them to it.

If we are seeing the downfall of DC, and I hate it if it's true, I will never say I think it ain't 'cause HE never tried. A desk jockey like me sure knows I could never stand the kind of beating he's taken for three seasons.

Anyway, best to them. Please.
rafterticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #14
CajunTexan
Veteran

To liken David Carr to Akili Smith, David Klingler and Tim Couch is totally ridiculous!!! Smith had not a brain in his head, Klingler was small potatoes and Couch had the arm strength of an eel!!!

Were have you been for 4 years!!!! How many times has Carr put on that "brave front" and said exactly those words..."I stunk, we stunk, but there is always next week." And never once has David Carr pointed a finger at anyone, as much as they have deserved it, other than himself. The point is, he, nor we didn't think they would ever stink again, like they did Sunday at least!!!

This guy has his shortcomings but he has way more upside than down and he has they faith and fortitude to rise again!!!

Memo to Capers, only one of the 5 sacks was the O-lines fault!!!! Come on... open your eyes, dude!!!!!
CajunTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #15
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
honestly. I am trying to think who would have made an impact?
most of the tackles that were last year would be RT's now. we have Wade.
Centers.. I can't think of anyone that has made an impact also (bass is 2nd or 3rd string right now for the 49ers.)
Guards.. I admit I can't think of any.
Yea, I can't think of too many either, but I do remember seeing Shawn Andrews starting for the Eagles last night.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #16
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Keep your head up DC!!!!!
Old 09-14-2005   #17
outofhnd
All Pro

I think its Palmer's fault for swtching to a zone block scheme. We have massive big O line man who are not the mobile nimble lineman that a zone scheme requires. We need to get out of this and go back to blocking assignments. Give these lineman a target make one guy responsible for Carr getting sacked rather than 5 guys not picking up one defensive player. Right now Carr is looking 85% at AJ 10% at bradford and 5% at everyone else. The faact Carr is not goin through his read progressions tells me he is looking over his shoulder.

To the person comparing carr to akili, couch, and klingler. None of those players even lasted 4 years as a starter! None of them set a new NFL record in sacks allowed in a season their rookie year. We havent drafted O line because we needed to anchor down some other positions. O lineman are one commodity in the draft that can come out of absolutely nowhere and still be great. We have just had bad luck in the ones we have tried to develop. Wand I think would do better in a non zone blocking environment. Riley was a desperation pickup who really isnt much better than wand in this scheme.

We have a possibility of 13 LT available in the draft this year atleast 3 with Higher grades than Barron. Im kinda wanting the LT from Virginia. He looks fabulous for the texans first round pick in '05
Old 09-14-2005   #18
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Ihategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
The faact Carr is not goin through his read progressions tells me he is looking over his shoulder.
Ok, I know that by being a Lions fan, the only response I'll likely get is "Joey Bla bla bla"

But the biggest problem with Carr over the years, is that he telegraphs his passes, locks on his #1, and holds the ball way too long when he gets the chance. (Vinny said the same thing , and you gave him hell)

*hides under a desk*
Old 09-14-2005   #19
outofhnd
All Pro

yea Our formations are very vanilla no real ripples. We need to have more reciever personnel changes. not the tight end swap we had last year, but more 3 and 4 rec sets. lots of different looks.

Also take bradford out of the #2 position. put someone who will work to get open, not just try and outrun the defender. also on naked bootlegs have the tightend on that side roll with him like Michigan would do.

from now on when we are inside the 2 lets not scramble lets just pound it with DD. i think he wouldve gotten in.
Old 09-14-2005   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr does not stand a chance in this offense Casserly, Cappers & Palmer have built. he does not have the tools, the Texans fail to control the line of scrimmage (the defensive line is looking better) Murphy is gonna be a good TE as he learns the tricks of the NFL when to block and when to release, other than Wells our backs are smallish and have a hard time defending against tackles (is this by design) & with Mathis hurt I'm extremely dissapointed with the receivers, Armstrong has dissapeared, Gaffney is a bust and Bradford only has good wheels he does not have good hands. so just what is Carr suppose to do? his game planning is called for him in an offense that makes little to no sense, he has 3 seconds or less to find someone to throw the ball to before he is pulverized, his only real target is tripple teamed, I mean c'mon the only time the Texans move the ball consistantly is when he scrambles up the middle for critical 1st downs and questionable touchdowns. too easy to blame Carr it is
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read