Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2005   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Send in the Clowns

Quote:
September 12, 2005
Send in the Clowns
by Keith Weiland
HoustonProFootball.com

This is the time when Iím supposed to insert a joke at the expense of the Texans. Kick a man when heís down. Knee him in the groin. Take away his lunch money. Tongue his girlfriend.

I just canít. The Texans fail to engender any emotion from this particular fan. Their 22-7 loss to Bills on Sunday was gutless, hopeless, demoralizing, and completely devoid of passion.

But the players are still human, right? If you prick them, do they not bleed?

Of course they will. Itís just that these guys have been behaviorally modified to approach each game like a professional on a routine business trip. The Texans, like any organization, are taking on the persona of their leader, head coach Dom Capers.

The man is unflappable. His schedule is executed with military precision. I bet he even flosses every day. Capers never lets his emotions get the best of him and advises his team of the same.

But thatís just the problem, isnít it? Capers wonít get the best of his players until he lets them play with some emotion.
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout116.html
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

from the article and they have a picture of the boss (as capers) from the movie office space.

Quote:
Ahhhh... we have sort of a problem here, David. Hmmm, yeeaaaahhh... Ahhh... I'm going to have to ask you to come in on Sunday, too. That would be great."
too funny
Old 09-12-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default hilarious

"Ahhhh... we have sort of a problem here, David.
Hmmm, yeeaaaahhh... Ahhh... I'm going to have
to ask you to come in on Sunday, too.
That would be great."

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see this as a total meltdown. The defense gave the offense numerous chances to get back into the game in the second half and the total ineptness of the offense prevented that from happening. Two if the Bills drives in the first half started deep in Houston territory but the defense only allowed them in the endzone once. That's what I'm hanging my hat on. It's all there is.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny

"Ahhhh... we have sort of a problem here, David.
Hmmm, yeeaaaahhh... Ahhh... I'm going to have
to ask you to come in on Sunday, too.
That would be great."

thanks for doing the pic vinny.. I didn't know how.. that is hillarious just thinking about that guy talking.. and match that with Capers look that you normally see

I got tears coming out of my eyes and my stomach is hurting!!!

Last edited by Wolf; 09-12-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2005   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I don't see this as a total meltdown. The defense gave the offense numerous chances to get back into the game in the second half and the total ineptness of the offense prevented that from happening. Two if the Bills drives in the first half started deep in Houston territory but the defense only allowed them in the endzone once. That's what I'm hanging my hat on. It's all there is.
I think the defense had made some great adjustments at the half and Losman didn't look the same in the second half while Pbuc turned up his game a notch (I've noticed he has gotten bashed over and over here by some, but he never gave up a TD) as well. The Texas - OU game had a similar deal where the defense kept the offense in the game against a team with an outstanding D...the big difference was that Young made some plays and our guys didn't.

Old 09-12-2005   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

same website and their game day review.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/game/

Part of what went wrong

Quote:
Confidence
Confidence is a powerful force when you have it. A devastating debility when it is lost. There was a swagger on opening night in 2002, when a young team shocked the world by the score of 19-10. It was nowhere to be found on the Texans sideline in this initial game of the season. The QB distrusts his teammates. The offensive coordinator has no faith in the QB. The defensive coordinator does not believe the players he has coached will execute the blitzes he has designed. And a head coach thinks that a fourth-and-three conversion by his offense is less likely than a miracle comeback with less than two minutes left on the clock. Maybe it was naivetť rather than confidence that filled the air that evening against the Dallas Cowboys. That innocence has been lost.
Part of what went right

Quote:
Defense Regroups in Second Half
Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio made halftime adjustments that kept J.P. Losman off balance and the Bills out of the endzone. The major improvement came from giving more help to Philip (Donít call me Showtime) Buchanon. Seth Payne turned a poor first half around with six total tackles.
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2005   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

heh-heh...Office Space...I needed the laugh. Thanks!

I agree with Vinny's assessment. The D kept us in the game, but the O never arrived.
Old 09-12-2005   #9
Txnpride
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I agree,if it wasnt for our defense the score would have been 55-7.Maybe our defense can score some points this weekend.I recall last year Capers making comments something to the effect "Our goal is to keep it close in the fourth quarter" Maybe we should try to score in quarters 1 thru 3 then put the game away in the fourth
Txnpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
same website and their game day review.
Good stuff from Lucky!

Old 09-12-2005   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you are giving the D too much credit. keep in mind that the Bills had one of the worst scoring offenses in the red zone.

They marched down the field repeatedly, they just didnt score a TD when they got within the 20.

Our D provided NO pass rush, and while Pbuc didnt give up a TD, he did give up a slew of yards. Did he even get a defensed pass?

Our defense did NOT play good.. they played average at best. And our biggest problem.. the pass rush.. is STILL our biggest problem. It seems we made NO progress in that department over the offseason.. despite going up against one of the worst lines from last year.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #12
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the defense had made some great adjustments at the half and Losman didn't look the same in the second half while Pbuc turned up his game a notch (I've noticed he has gotten bashed over and over here by some, but he never gave up a TD) as well. The Texas - OU game had a similar deal where the defense kept the offense in the game against a team with an outstanding D...the big difference was that Young made some plays and our guys didn't.
Glad I am not the only one that thinks PBuch did not play as horrible as some are claiming on here...PBuch had 2 great plays in the first half that were negated by penalties...
Old 09-12-2005   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Glad I am not the only one that thinks PBuch did not play as horrible as some are claiming on here...PBuch had 2 great plays in the first half that were negated by penalties...
I agree. I feel that many here did not watch the whole game. Maybe I am a geek, but I do not take any plays off when I watch the Texans.
Old 09-12-2005   #14
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess is some don't see him grab an INT or make a sack and assume he had a horrible game...
Old 09-12-2005   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I think a few start to scream 'pbuc sucks' and the rest of the herd just chimes in as a mob of bashing the current player of the moment. The only TD the Bills scored yesterday was off a trick play - A Tackle eligible. If you read this board long enough you would figure pbuc gave up 4 TD's and the defense was abused all game.

Old 09-12-2005   #16
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I thought he did fine with the lack of pass rush we had. He was picked on because they avoided Dunta. Fans seem to forget that Dunta wasn't the all-everything CB at first last year. He blew a lot of plays. Buchanon does has a lot of room to improve though.
Old 09-12-2005   #17
texan279
Hall of Fame

The play I remember best is when he dropped McGahee for a 5 yard loss and we were called for offsides I think...He also had another tackle for a loss that was negated due to penalty...But no, some want Glenn back because he had one INT yesterday that was tipped into his hands and was all over Sportscenter...
Old 09-12-2005   #18
HoustonHarley
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Similiar, but yet not even close. The Texas Longhorns Defense won that game. They made big play after big play, from sacks to big hits when they really needed them. OSU was in FG range when they got the ball off turnovers and either went backwards or didn't get a first down. Not everytime, but most. V. Young contributed to the win, but at the same time made a couple very stupid plays. The difference between him and DC is when VInce makes a mistake, he bounces right back with all the confidence in the world. Nothing seemes to bother this kid. DC may have been a lot like that too, prior to sack after sack after sack.
HoustonHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #19
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont want Glenn back and I think Pbuc has a lot of potential.

But im not going to sugarcoat the fact that they moved the ball downfield repeatedly by just tossing it to his side.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #20
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
But im not going to sugarcoat the fact that they moved the ball downfield repeatedly by just tossing it to his side.
Well it's not hard when there is no pass rush and Losman has about 5 seconds in the pocket...It's hard to cover a WR one on one for that long in the NFL. Not only that, from what I remember he did not give up any big plays, though I may be wrong...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read