Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2005   #41
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly.. I can't remember a time when Carr had time to actually step up in the pocket.
He did several times, and two of the times he did have time in the pocket he threw INT's...
Old 09-12-2005   #42
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
...But that doesn't explain making dumb decisions when he has time. (Like the triple-coverage gift that fell from the sky into the safety's hands)
That wasn't a bad decision, it was a bad throw. AJ had beaten the corner & safety to the post. If Carr had put the ball on the money, it would have been six (or AJ would have dropped it). The pass drifted to the middle and Vincent was there. Good decision, sorry throw.

Of course Carr did hit Bradford on a perfect 30 yard go on a 3rd & 17. Only to see the ball slip right between Corey's fingers. The Bills defense gives up very few big plays. And when the opportunities were there, the Texans screwed them up.

By the time the score was 12-0, the Texans had only run 3 pass plays. One a short pass to Davis, the next a sack on a simple stunt that confused Chester Pitts, then a busted play where Chris Kelsey forced Carr out of the pocket (Wade tackled him), Pitts & McKinney ran downfield to block, and forced a pass rather than just stepping out of bounds. And that play was another example of AJ not coming back to the ball (Troy Vincent did). I would think the coaching staff has gone over these mistakes many times before. These players aren't listening to them
Old 09-12-2005   #43
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan0305
ya i just heard the weekly radio show also, it's good to see texans fans coming through on the air with powder puff questions, no fan really sounded concerned or anything, well capers again stated only one sac was attributed to the line so i guess they think the line did a good job lol this is so crazy i couldn't believe the things he was saying oh well.....

You can bet those calls were well screened.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #44
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Maybe this is a non-issue, but could part of the lines problem be having two coaches? I think Pendry coaches the tackles and Steve Marshall the center/guards (or the other way around). I don't really know anything about line coaching.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #45
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 121813 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
That wasn't a bad decision, it was a bad throw. AJ had beaten the corner & safety to the post. If Carr had put the ball on the money, it would have been six (or AJ would have dropped it). The pass drifted to the middle and Vincent was there. Good decision, sorry throw.

Of course Carr did hit Bradford on a perfect 30 yard go on a 3rd & 17. Only to see the ball slip right between Corey's fingers. The Bills defense gives up very few big plays. And when the opportunities were there, the Texans screwed them up.

By the time the score was 12-0, the Texans had only run 3 pass plays. One a short pass to Davis, the next a sack on a simple stunt that confused Chester Pitts, then a busted play where Chris Kelsey forced Carr out of the pocket (Wade tackled him), Pitts & McKinney ran downfield to block, and forced a pass rather than just stepping out of bounds. And that play was another example of AJ not coming back to the ball (Troy Vincent did). I would think the coaching staff has gone over these mistakes many times before. These players aren't listening to them
I agree with that about Vincent.. but after the game Vincent said Carr does NOT look off his receivers which could be the differenct between 6 and an INT.

Also if the pass about Bradford is the one I am thinking about.. Bradford got nailed as it was getting to his hands.

if those are right, it would have been nice to get those catches
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #46
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I mistaken or did Carr hang that pass up like a hail mary? If he wants to make that completion he has to fire it in there and thread the needle, not throw it up into double coverage and give another defender time to get there and pray that AJ catches it in triple coverage...
Old 09-12-2005   #47
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 121813 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Am I mistaken or did Carr hang that pass up like a hail mary? If he wants to make that completion he has to fire it in there and thread the needle, not throw it up into double coverage and give another defender time to get there and pray that AJ catches it in triple coverage...
if they are the plays I think both were high arching.. I think Carr was just trying to let the WR run under it.. Bradfords was a little underthrown and AJ's well it was there it was just triple coverage. a little pump fake to the outside would have been nice or something like that to freeze the safety
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2005   #48
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr throws a poor deep ball. That is just one example of many. To me it looked like he is trying to get more air under the ball, but he isn't good at it.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #49
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Carr throws a poor deep ball. That is just one example of many. To me it looked like he is trying to get more air under the ball, but he isn't good at it.
I'd agree with that. His deep balls have always been bullets in the past. This time it looked better but wasn't accurate. Not to mention thrown into coverage.
Old 09-12-2005   #50
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 60013 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Riley graded out quite well when asked directly.
I think Capers would have said any individual graded out well - he's not one for publicly hanging a player.
Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #51
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I perceive Capers as honest and straight forward. You can say what you want about Dom Capers but he is a straight-up honest man. I think he would have said that Riley would have had to work on technique or something...he didn't hesitate, so I take him at face value.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #52
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 60013 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I perceive Capers as honest and straight forward. You can say what you want about Dom Capers but he is a straight-up honest man. I think he would have said that Riley would have had to work on technique or something...he didn't hesitate, so I take him at face value.
I wasn't implying he was lying. I meant he had his players' back and wouldn't bad mouth them in the media like a Parcells.

Which is a good trait of Capers.
Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #53
Wolf
100% Texan

Tactfullness is Capers
Old 09-12-2005   #54
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I perceive Capers as honest and straight forward.
Actually, I perceive Capers as guy who never saw a direct question he didn't like to maneuver around and leave with a positive slant or spin. Truth is, he's
damn good at it to the point of being as slick as some politicians. I would have appreciated the brutal simplicity of a Pacells type answer about yesterday - something along the lines of "we stunk up the place".
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #55
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 433 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet if the word "execute" didn't exist, When asked to comment Caper's head would explode.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #56
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly
I bet if the word "execute" didn't exist, When asked to comment Caper's head would explode.
His head is probably about to explode from saying "execute" 1,000 times a week only to have his team not "execute"
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #57
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am actually happy to see this being discussed. As I have debated for the better part of a year, the Texans have a below average line, but Carr (and the other skill people), don't much to help the situation. Really good Qb still make plays with poor OLs.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #58
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Regarding the O-line blocking - I believe what Capers is saying is true. The sacks were not necessarily on the O-line. Many of the ten or so pressures probably were. On the whole, none of the blocking was adequate on Sunday. People focus on sacks because it's a measurable statistic. The pressures cause just as many problems. Carr is to blame for at least one sack that I can think of, but the underlying problem is really why I have been saying that the coaching staff deserves to be cut. It really is no different than training any animal - you hit it enough and it will cower whenever it gets close to you. You harass and sack a QB enough and he will become gun shy, develop happy feet, and never develop the mental facets that are required to play QB in the NFL. The foundation of this offense is broken and Carr may well be ruined for good. I place the blame of that on the coaching staff.

Regarding the QB spy question - from watching the game (can't bear to review the Tivo, sorry), I commented at the time about that. However, it wasn't really a QB spy. It was a DD spy. Posey was spying on the DD dumpoff for much of the game. So yeah, when there's a spy on the QB, something is usually open (usually the flats or the TE). On this day, however, Posey moved with DD pretty well and we have no TEs (although Bruener and Murphy each caught one, IIRC).

Vinny, when you review the tape, see if I am accurate in my recollection. Usually I watch a game the first time with a slightly less critical eye for detail, whereas when I watch the Tivo, I rewind and review for hours. My wife hates that, hehe.

Last edited by eriadoc; 09-13-2005 at 12:14 AM.
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #59
Johnny Utah
All Pro

The Oline only accounted for one sack. What I would like to know is how many QB pressures the Oline accounted for? The offensive line, QB, WR's, RBs, and coaching staff all stunk it up.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #60
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Everything is being positioned, IMO, for Palmer to be fired after the Pittsburgh game and for Pendry to be promoted to OC... After all, if most of the problems with pressure/sacks are blown assignments by backs, receivers, qb- then that responsibility falls mostly on Palmer's shoulders. And, if the Oline is at least technically doing it's job then it is to Pendry's credit.

How much money would it take to get Ron Jaworski to come here as the QB coach? We're going to need one when Palmer gets fired.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read