Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2005   #21
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Tight end - middle seams. But we kept them in to block, except for twice that I can recall.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #22
SESupergenius

All it took was a little motivation like maybe a interception from Peek, or an int from Coleman and Dunta(?) that was knocked down by the Bills reciever. The D played fairly well, but the still didn't cause any turnovers.
Old 09-12-2005   #23
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Capers just stated (on his radio show) that there was only one sack attributed to the offensive line. The other sacks were blown assignments of other players. I know 'the line' is everyone's big excuse for Carr's poor play but Capers will not critique Carr so he leaves the line a scapegoat most of the time for the fans to chew on. Riley graded out quite well when asked directly.
Jeez, to think I was worried as if we had a real problem. I'm so relieved to find
out the OL did OK yesterday because I could have sworn I saw Carr running
for his life every other time he took a snap vs. the Bills QB who stood around
in his pocket, then looked up in the stands to check out the chicks, then
picked his nose or maybe scratched his ***, then maybe thru a pass if the
mood so hit him. I dunno....they can just put the RBs thru some blocking
drills this week to refresh their skills on picking up blitzs and we're back in business.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Jeez, to think I was worried as if we had a real problem. I'm so relieved to find
out the OL did OK yesterday because I could have sworn I saw Carr running
for his life every other time he took a snap vs. the Bills QB who stood around
in his pocket, then looked up in the stands to check out the chicks, then
picked his nose or maybe scratched his ***, then maybe thru a pass if the
mood so hit him. I dunno....they can just put the RBs thru some blocking
drills this week to refresh their skills on picking up blitzs and we're back in business.
Sarcasm is all cool and all but we used to talk intelligent fooball here at one time. I'm trying to do that.

I have the game on tape so I will look close at the line tomorrow (when I have some free time). Zep said there was a spy on Carr and if so, then the spy would be all over the roll out and it's up to Carr to find the hot read asap. The Bills were sitting back in a cover 2 and if they had a spy on the short roll then that would explain the heat on the roll outs....that would be on Carr to get out of that with a dump pass or to check out of the plays. To me, Carr had time in the pocket (when in the pocket...not talking about on the moving roll out) most of the time (outside of a couple of snaps) but just didn't have a good day.

Quote:
"Hopefully, we won't play these guys again for a while because they'd beat us again," - David Carr
What kind of statement is that coming from our leader?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #25
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's that entire quote because when you leave out the last part it sounds horrible. I took it to mean that they need to play better or they won't win. I agreed.
Quote:
"Hopefully, we won't play these guys again for a while because they'd beat us again," he said. "If we come out and play the same way, and they're on us like they were today, we'd get beat again." - David Carr
Exascor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I still don't like him just admitting they can't win. When Carr threw the a pick he just stood there and watched. When Carr fumbled the ball he just stood there and watched. I'm really dissapointed in his leadership skills now. I thought it was going to be a 'no brainer' that we pick up his contract, but now I'm not so sure.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #27
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
I read that statement in today's paper also and was in disbelief, I'm speechless...David Carr has been the biggest dissapointment throughout the entire NFL during week 1... and with that attitude i doubt he makes any kind of a comeback.
Old 09-12-2005   #28
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Sarcasm is all cool and all but we used to talk intelligent fooball here at one time. I'm trying to do that.

I have the game on tape so I will look close at the line tomorrow (when I have some free time). Zep said there was a spy on Carr and if so, then the spy would be all over the roll out and it's up to Carr to find the hot read asap. The Bills were sitting back in a cover 2 and if they had a spy on the short roll then that would explain the heat on the roll outs....that would be on Carr to get out of that with a dump pass or to check out of the plays. To me, Carr had time in the pocket (when in the pocket...not talking about on the moving roll out) most of the time (outside of a couple of snaps) but just didn't have a good day.

The problem with finding the hot read when he's under pressure is that I don't think Carr can focus on two things at once. Good QBs need to be able to evade the rush while looking downfield at the same time. Seriously Carr only seems capable of doing one at a time successfully. I'm not necessarily saying he's dumb, some of the brightest people can't multi-task that well. But that doesn't explain making dumb decisions when he has time. (Like the triple-coverage gift that fell from the sky into the safety's hands)

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #29
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
The problem with finding the hot read when he's under pressure is that I don't think Carr can focus on two things at once. Good QBs need to be able to evade the rush while looking downfield at the same time. Seriously Carr only seems capable of doing one at a time successfully. I'm not necessarily saying he's dumb, some of the brightest people can't multi-task that well. But that doesn't explain making dumb decisions when he has time. (Like the triple-coverage gift that fell from the sky into the safety's hands)
most qb's the game "slows down" for them with Carr it seems to accelerated and in all fairness hard to have the game slow down when the pocket collapses too fast
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #30
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe the Texans OL needs to watch "the longest yard" with Burt Reynolds.. isn't that the one where the OL was getting creamed and Burt told them to let the guy through and then drilled the guy with the football?
Old 09-12-2005   #31
Htown-Tailgators-Lee
waterboy

In the second preseason game the first team Office was unable to convert a first and goal on the one. After I saw that ****, I left the stadium for the parking lot. As a season ticket holder I am really disappointed with this team. How come Carr cannot handle a three step drop? I have watched Carr do the same roll out for the past 3 years. He is completly predictable. He also follows the receiver. I know who he is going to force it to and I am in the stands. If he does not have the ability to look off the defense then give him a dark shield or something.
Htown-Tailgators-Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #32
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
most qb's the game "slows down" for them with Carr it seems to accelerated and in all fairness hard to have the game slow down when the pocket collapses too fast
Yea, I agree the line hasn't helped his development at all. In the last game the pass protection was just abysmal on every level from what I could see - Someone would run by Wade, then run over or blow past the RB. Also saw Bruener get owned on a play as well as Riley on another. We've already discussed Wells and Davis getting beat. I think I saw another guy run past a confused McKinney (doing his best impression of Jimmy Herndon). Seriously, Pitts is the only one I didn't see get completely humiliated on atleast one play.

Old 09-12-2005   #33
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seriously, Pitts is the only one I didn't see get completely humiliated on atleast one play.
Pitts and Riley were both half humiliated on the stunt on the third play of the game. That must have been the only sack that was the fault of the o-line, unless that was a running back's problem too.

On a related topic:

According to the article in the Chronicle, there may be a fractured coaching philosophy. Is this a Capers/Pendry vs. Palmer thing? Is that why Capers is protecting the O-line? Help me get rid of Palmer and you can have the job?

I doubt it, but are we all that blind that we can't see that the O-line is good? That's hard to believe too.

Two quotes from the Justice column:

The Texans apparently haven't really changed, at least not in the ways they promised. They may not even be capable of changing if, as it seems, head coach Dom Capers has one offensive philosophy and offensive coordinator Chris Palmer another.

Around the NFL, some believed offensive line coach Joe Pendry had a big hand in the offensive changes. He's a former offensive coordinator and a man who probably sees offensive football the way Capers sees it.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

after watching Manning last night one of the things that strikes you is all the movement, pointing & communication going on. His head is up reading the defense and barking out adjustments and changes. Since I'm not a Colt fan I don't know this for a fact but it seems he calls his own plays, mostly out of a shotgun formation. just an idea but would this might work better for Carr & the Texans?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #35
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Pitts and Riley were both half humiliated on the stunt on the third play of the game. That must have been the only sack that was the fault of the o-line, unless that was a running back's problem too.
My alarm didn't go off (yes, I need an alarm to make sure I get up before 12 on Sundays) so I missed half of the first quarter, so that would explain Pitts escaping my criticism. Overall he seemed to do alright the rest of the game.

Old 09-12-2005   #36
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My alarm didn't go off (yes, I need an alarm to make sure I get up before 12 on Sundays) so I missed half of the first quarter, so that would explain Pitts escaping my criticism. Overall he seemed to do alright the rest of the game.
That was kind of a joke by me. The defensive end and tackle stunted, Pitts and Riley both took the tackle on the outside, and the end made the sack up the middle. One of them made a mistake, I don't know which. It looked pretty bad since it was the 3rd play of the game for the Texan O.

However, I feel better now that I know Capers thought the line did well.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #37
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I think DC is a fine young family man and a decent person from everything I've heard, I'm not a big fan of him as a player in the same sense that I am of say AJ or D-Rob. But I think Carr is atleast an average QB and its hard for me to believe that as a 4th yr starter he'd have that much trouble with a spy, especially since he runs well and this very unnovel tactic
to shawdow him is something he's probably seen a lot before.
Unlike most women, my wife really knows football - she was born and raised
here in TX (sorry for the PC slipup - men usually can't cook & women usually
don't know mcuh football, if that makes me a sexist so be it). Anyway, she's said for a long time that Carr does not have real good snap upstairs and has
actively expressed reservations about him as our long term QB , but even she said he spend gobs of time running for cover yesterday.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #38
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

The line never really builds a pocket. Sometimes they get in the way enough to keep the D off his back from a few seconds, but even then they seem only moments from tearing his face apart. If you watch the Vikings, or Eagles lines, the QBs can drop back a few steps and really survey the field. Carr always seems to have a guy within a few feet of him even when the defender is being blocked.

Old 09-12-2005   #39
texan0305
Veteran

Rep Power: 24 texan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famer
Default capers..

ya i just heard the weekly radio show also, it's good to see texans fans coming through on the air with powder puff questions, no fan really sounded concerned or anything, well capers again stated only one sac was attributed to the line so i guess they think the line did a good job lol this is so crazy i couldn't believe the things he was saying oh well.....
texan0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #40
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
The line never really builds a pocket. Sometimes they get in the way enough to keep the D off his back from a few seconds, but even then they seem only moments from tearing his face apart. If you watch the Vikings, or Eagles lines, the QBs can drop back a few steps and really survey the field. Carr always seems to have a guy within a few feet of him even when the defender is being blocked.
Exactly.. I can't remember a time when Carr had time to actually step up in the pocket.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read