Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2005   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I split this out from another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
That's easy ... first we added VICTOR FRIGGIN RILEY! Second, the coaching staff has NOT changed. These are the precise issues I'm addressing. If you can honestly say to yourself that any other QB would be anywhere differently after 3 years in this system, then we have nothing more to discuss.
Capers just stated (on his radio show) that there was only one sack attributed to the offensive line. The other sacks were blown assignments of other players. I know 'the line' is everyone's big excuse for Carr's poor play but Capers will not critique Carr so he leaves the line a scapegoat most of the time for the fans to chew on. Riley graded out quite well when asked directly.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #2
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Capers just stated (on his radio show) that there was only one sack attributed to the offensive line. The other sacks were blown assignments of other players. I know 'the line' is everyone's big excuse for Carr's poor play but Capers will not critique Carr so he leaves the line a scapegoat most of the time for the fans to chew on.
Ah yes because you KNOW he was talking about Carr. Whatever. And Capers always tells you the truth.
Old 09-12-2005   #3
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Capers just stated (on his radio show) that there was only one sack attributed to the offensive line. The other sacks were blown assignments of other players. I know 'the line' is everyone's big excuse for Carr's poor play but Capers will not critique Carr so he leaves the line a scapegoat most of the time for the fans to chew on.
I'd add that 2 of the sacks seemed to be Carr's fault. May have been coverage sacks but he still seemed to have time to throw the ball away on them.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Wells missed the block on the fumble, and DD mised one as well. Don't know about the rest of them. Frankly, I never mentioned that Carr was responsible for any of them. Don't know why you are so offended.

Old 09-12-2005   #5
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wells missed the block on the fumble, and DD mised one as well. Don't know about the rest of them. Frankly, I never mentioned that Carr was responsible for any of them. Don't know why you are so offended.
That towards me Vinny? I'm not offended at all. I was adding to the fact that the o-line wasn't responsible for all the sacks. I felt that Carr was at fault for 2. Maybe I wasn't clear. Sorry.
Old 09-12-2005   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

that is frustrating Vinny all these blown assignments and most of the guys are 2nd and 3rd year players.. Some are more.

Assignments will get blown, but how many are we blowing on a play?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
That towards me Vinny? I'm not offended at all. I was adding to the fact that the o-line wasn't responsible for all the sacks. I felt that Carr was at fault for 2. Maybe I wasn't clear. Sorry.
Didn't see your response before I posted. Just replying to ses.

Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2005   #8
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Sorry-SES posted while I was posting. My bad.
Old 09-12-2005   #9
SESupergenius

"it wasn't only David, it was EVERYBODY" - Dom Capers

"David took a couple head shots (on our TD drive) and drove it down like a leader" - Dom Capers

"We havn't had a problem around here with that (penalities)" - Dom Capers

Not a problem with penalties, what games has he been watching?
Old 09-12-2005   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Just passing on what I hear on the Dom Capers show here in town.

Old 09-12-2005   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 222056 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

One of the 610am guys said he thought 4 of the 5 sacks were not the responsibility of the OL prior to Capers going on the show. Regardless of whether the sacks were the OL's fault, there isn't an argument that can be made that the OL played anything close to an average NFL OL yesterday. Plenty of blame to go around on this one--they played badly as did Carr.
Old 09-12-2005   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard Marc V say that Norris got blown up by Kelsay on one of the sacks. I need to go back and watch the replay after my dinner settles a bit.

The OL stunk yesterday. So did Carr. So did the blocking backs. So did the receivers. So did Palmer for whatever the game plan was and lack of adjustment (new form of kryptonite discovered that takes away three step drops). So did Capers for his stubborn to a fault philosophical approach. The offense is broken due to many causes.

I'm really getting tired of all the candy *** callers they are letting into the Capers show right now. They must be screening tighter than usual....

Last edited by aj.; 09-12-2005 at 05:50 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #13
SESupergenius

Yes he did, he went right around Moran on the right side of the play, completely blew him up. That is not Carrs fault.
Old 09-12-2005   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I know Wells "oley" on a sack that led to a fumble

Where is an alonzo highsmith when you need him.. I remember him flipping people and laying people out before he got hurt
Old 09-12-2005   #15
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
That is not Carrs fault
or more importantly, the OL's fault. as it's been said plenty of times since sunday, there is plenty of blame to go around (even if the OL got punked 70% of the time).
Old 09-12-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I know Wells "oley" on a sack that led to a fumble
T Spikes totally steamrolled him on a bull rush. Wells was not low enough and when upright trying to block a man of his caliber was a recipe for disaster.

Old 09-12-2005   #17
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I noticed on a few places they seem to put an OLB on the left side of the D up around the LOS basically spying Carr the whole time. If he handed off, he would play the run of course. But if it was a fake he was all over Carr's roll out in about 2 seconds. It also took away a lot of the dump offs since he would be right in the lane and too close to DD for a touch pass. Maybe it was just those few plays that this happened but it seemed to take away a lot of the offense when it was done.

I guess essentially it's just a spy/short zone but seriously the way Palmer/Capers play this offense it takes away so much. Add in a couple of deep safeties in Cover 2 and suddenly our offense = zero.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
T Spikes totally steamrolled him on a bull rush. Wells was not low enough and when upright trying to block a man of his caliber was a recipe for disaster.
I agree with you on that.. good play by Spikes but it reminded me of "unneccesary roughness" when scott Bakula was telling that teammate to tell the guy a story or tell a joke, just get the guy off of me
Old 09-12-2005   #19
HoustonHarley
Rookie

"I am mostly to blame. My team was not prepared, motivated or inspired before or after halftime"- Not Dom Capers
HoustonHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
I noticed on a few places they seem to put an OLB on the left side of the D up around the LOS basically spying Carr the whole time. If he handed off, he would play the run of course. But if it was a fake he was all over Carr's roll out in about 2 seconds. It also took away a lot of the dump offs since he would be right in the lane and too close to DD for a touch pass. Maybe it was just those few plays that this happened but it seemed to take away a lot of the offense when it was done.

I guess essentially it's just a spy/short zone but seriously the way Palmer/Capers play this offense it takes away so much. Add in a couple of deep safeties in Cover 2 and suddenly our offense = zero.
I'm going to watch the game again tomorrow and watch the lineplay. I will look for this as well. When you are sitting in a cover2 and you have a spy on the QB someone has to be open somewhere. If the defense sniffs out the rollout then the QB has to find the hot read.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read