Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2005   #61
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
From what I understand, they did pass more than run on first down last Sunday.

They just weren't successful at it.
lets look at the facts surprise, surprise, surprise looks very even to me so the playcalling was at least balanced equally between the run & pass on 1st down. the key point to me was that only one time in the game did the Texans make a 1st down on 1st down (19 yd pass to Bruener) three times it was turned over (two fumbled, one INT) two penaltys and two sacks all commited on 1st down, which tells me the defense had a very long day indeed

1st-10, HOU30 9:24 D. Carr passed to D. Davis to the right for 2 yard gain

1st-10, HOU19 1:43 D. Davis rushed to the left for 3 yard gain

1st-10, HOU27 13:57 D. Davis rushed up the middle for no gain. D. Davis fumbled. L. Fletcher recovered fumble

1st-10, HOU25 11:07 D. Carr incomplete pass to the right

1st-10, HOU44 10:51 D. Carr incomplete pass to the right

1st-10, BUF20 9:33 A. Johnson rushed to the right for 2 yard gain. BUF committed 5 yard penalty

1st-10, BUF13 8:52 D. Carr passed to J. Wells to the right for 7 yard gain

1st-2, BUF2 8:10 HOU committed 5 yard penalty

1st-7, BUF7 7:16 D. Carr incomplete pass to the right

1st-10, HOU17 0:29 D. Davis rushed to the left for 6 yard gain

1st-10, HOU29 15:00 D. Carr passed to M. Bruener to the right for 19 yard gain

1st-10, HOU48 14:54 D. Davis rushed up the middle for 7 yard gain

1st-10, BUF38 13:34 D. Carr sacked by A. Schobel

1st-10, HOU44 9:47 D. Davis rushed up the middle for 5 yard gain

1st-10, HOU41 4:22 D. Davis rushed to the left for 3 yard gain

1st-10, BUF45 3:39 T. Vincent intercepted D. Carr for 22 yards

1st-10, HOU20 0:43 D. Davis rushed to the left for no gain

1st-10, HOU20 10:41 D. Davis rushed to the left for 7 yard gain

1st-10, HOU31 10:19 D. Carr sacked by T. Spikes. D. Carr fumbled. L. Milloy recovered fumble

1st-10, HOU26 7:11 D. Carr incomplete pass to the right

1st-10, HOU12 1:53 D. Carr rushed to the right for 3 yard gain

1st-10, HOU25 1:40 D. Carr incomplete pass to the right
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #62
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Anticipated rally ? Im not gonna hold my breath . I'd jump all over the Steelers -6 in this game .

I think Capers should start HIMSELF at QB just to save Carr from another beating ...... Remember the last time these two teams played ? The Texans had a grand total of 47 yards .

Steelers 45-9
47 yards yes...but we were in hostile territory up against a playoff team in frigid weather with a much worse o-line than now.
Old 09-14-2005   #63
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbills4life
I'll agree it was an unnecessary hit, but he never touched his head. I think his head hit the ground. The only contact that was made was at the shoulder.
his elbow hit him in the head. when a quarterback slides feet first the play is over if you hit him there will be a flag.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #64
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
This should throw a wrench in your play calling theory ....

Its not the run / pass theory ..... The players DONT fit the system , Its as simple as that . This is NOT a run between the tackles team , the skill position players are MUCH more effective IN SPACE :brickwall

IM begining to think ITS NOT Palmers fualt but more of the blame should fall on Capers ..... He wants a POWER RUNNING GAME and DOESNT have the personel to do that .
I have been thinking the samee for awhile. DD can break a tackle and he can pound but not all the time. He is much better in misdirection than anything. Then you have AJ and Mathis, who are good but not for a power running team. If you want that you need big possesion guys who know how to block down field. I knew we should have gotten Troy Brown in the offseason, if hes good enough for NE then why not get him.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #65
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17
I have been thinking the samee for awhile. DD can break a tackle and he can pound but not all the time. He is much better in misdirection than anything. Then you have AJ and Mathis, who are good but not for a power running team. If you want that you need big possesion guys who know how to block down field. I knew we should have gotten Troy Brown in the offseason, if hes good enough for NE then why not get him.

My point is that this team just isnt a power running team .

Some teams CAN run the ball when there are 8-9 in the box ... The Steelers , Ravens and to some extent the Panthers . What these teams have in common is a BIG BACK who even when the line is stacked they gain positive yardage ..... They also have very good O-lines . Something I think Capers missed in Football 101. (You can add Casserly to those who missed class that day).

This Texans team just does'nt fit into that category . That IS what Capers wants . And as we all know Capers is THE WORST at making adjustments ... This is just another case in point .

We keep blaming Palmer for the offensive shortcomings .... I think Palmer is "handcuffed" by Capers and this team would be better off without it .... :brickwall

As for Troy Brown .... That guy is simply a good FOOTBALL player ...." Hey coach , where ya want me to line up this time ?" ...... "Well Troy , how about Left Tackle " ..... "Sure thing Coach , Ill do my best" ...

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #66
texan_fan
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to texan_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauk25
Why are bill fans still here??
Because he's in love with a Texan_Fan
texan_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #67
phan1
All Pro

Well, after all this talk CARR IS OUR GUY! And he's going to be for the foreseable future. I'm still not sure how good he is, because he's been inconsistent. But so has our whole team in general. But I DO know that he's not bad enough to start looking for other options. And the great thing is that he's got a great sense of maturity. I wouldn't want to have any other guy as the face of our football team. I think other people feel the same way. and he's going to be in Houston for quite a while just for that reason.

And because he's going to be here for a while, we really need to start doing things AROUND Carr rather than trusting Carr to pull a rabbit out of his hat all the time. Maybe he's not going to be great. But do you know how freakin' hard it is to find a great QB? Our QB is still probably better than half the teams in the freakin' league!

We just need to start doing things around Carr and let him grow on his own. In the meantime, let's get some WRs he can communicate with and an Oline that can block well. Because Carr ain't going anywhere. If anything, Palmer has to go first.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2005   #68
SESupergenius

If we don't establish a running game then there is no passing game, that is the philosphy so far. We need to start passing to set up the run and keep people honest. Very hard to do when the blocking is so putrid. If our oline is good then why can't we run? Nobody seems to want to tackle that question.

On a lighter not, Carr was on NFLNetwork tonight giving a tour of the Locker room and he ran into Walker giving interviews. Carr took over the interview and said something to the effect (jokingly of course) "IS the offense going to have to carry the defense again this year?" Walker replied, "If I went up against you every week I'd be the league leader in sacks" OUCH!

Last edited by SESupergenius; 09-15-2005 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-15-2005   #69
Elite
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
If we don't establish a running game then there is no passing game, that is the philosphy so far. We need to start passing to set up the run and keep people honest. Very hard to do when the blocking is so putrid. If our oline is good then why can't we run? Nobody seems to want to tackle that question.

On a lighter not, Carr was on NFLNetwork tonight giving a tour of the Locker room and he ran into Walker giving interviews. Carr took over the interview and said something to the effect (jokingly of course) "IS the offense going to have to carry the defense again this year?" Walker replied, "If I went up against you every week I'd be the league leader in sacks" OUCH!

hell yeah he would David Holds on to the ball so much he would even make seth payne a probowler
Old 09-15-2005   #70
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, after all this talk CARR IS OUR GUY! And he's going to be for the foreseable future. I'm still not sure how good he is, because he's been inconsistent. But so has our whole team in general. But I DO know that he's not bad enough to start looking for other options. And the great thing is that he's got a great sense of maturity. I wouldn't want to have any other guy as the face of our football team. I think other people feel the same way. and he's going to be in Houston for quite a while just for that reason.

And because he's going to be here for a while, we really need to start doing things AROUND Carr rather than trusting Carr to pull a rabbit out of his hat all the time. Maybe he's not going to be great. But do you know how freakin' hard it is to find a great QB? Our QB is still probably better than half the teams in the freakin' league!

We just need to start doing things around Carr and let him grow on his own. In the meantime, let's get some WRs he can communicate with and an Oline that can block well. Because Carr ain't going anywhere. If anything, Palmer has to go first.
Is this you David? You say Carr is our guy, then in your next sentence you say you are not sure how good he will be and he has been inconsistent. Carr is in the last year of his contract this season and if he keeps up his poor performance, the only way I see him back here next year is as a backup or a short term low salary incentive based deal. A lot of people keep saying he needs time and he has potential, well he is entering his 4th year and has shown me nothing as of late...if he does not improve his performance and keep it on a consistent level I do not see him being a Texan next season...
Old 09-15-2005   #71
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Ihategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of Famer

Troy Brown resigned with the Pats.
Old 09-15-2005   #72
bbills4life
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_fan
Because he's in love with a Texan_Fan
bbills4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #73
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbills4life
LOL! Some PM lovin' going on.....
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read