Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Pick your week 2 QB
David Carr 62 57.94%
Tony Banks 10 9.35%
Dave Ragone 35 32.71%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2005   #1
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 432 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation Who should week 2 starting qb be?

Should we give Carr another game after 3 INT's?
Should we give the Veteran Banks a shot at proving he still has what it takes?
Should we test the NFL Europe MVP and PreSeason QB star Dave Ragone a shot to be the leader?
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #2
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 432 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Also

Also, please make your argument why you make your pick.

I will start with my pick of Dave Ragone.

I think that he may be able to work in our offense better. I have a great feeling about this guy based on what I saw in the preseason. He has something that David Carr doesnt have yet since training camp - and that is a passing td. When he played in the preseason, he looked more motivated, and more like a leader than carr does. Carr just always has that depressed look on his face...like he gives up. He feels his job is secure. I think Ragone will try double hard to prove himself if we throw him in there...because he did it in Europe, he did it in the preseason, and he has one major thing that Carr doesnt have right now....and that is CONFIDENCE IN HIMSELF AND HIS TEAM.

Give him a shot.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #3
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

i vote carr to see if he can get out of a funk.

but after week 2 and the bye, we might see a change
Old 09-12-2005   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I selected Dave Ragone as much for the possible effect it might have on Carr as anything else. It could also be argued that you give Carr another week to see if he can respond to the thumping he took this week and that's a valid approach. It's been done before though and you see what we're still working with. Sit him and let the lefty play. If anything just to see what we have in Ragone.
Old 09-12-2005   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Ive got an even better idea .... How about Casserly or Capers for QB ? Maybe if they see how BAD that O-line is they might go get some help

I voted for Banks to play out the remainder of the season , no need to get Carr killed with this horrid O-line ..... Put him back out there next season .... After a season to mend his wounds and an off-season in which you draft at least one FIRST DAY lineman (D'Brickashaw Ferguson) and pick up at least two more via FA .... Then you plug him back in as the QB .

As for Banks , I could care less if he got hurt ....He's at the end of his rope as it is ..

Ragone ... dont play him behind this line , dont want him hurt or gun shy like Carr is , we may need him someday .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #6
Elite
Veteran

actually i think ragone would be more of a fit right now this team needs something and david aint gonna provide that spark of leadership that they need.
Old 09-12-2005   #7
texan0305
Veteran

Rep Power: 24 texan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famer
Default ummm

i'll go with vince young, is that a viable option, heck i'm an aggie and i'm impressed with vince, ok seriously though no doubt about it in my mind you go with carr, you think carr get sacked alot try putting in banks, he'll be a statue in the pocket, ragone plain and simple isn't all that good, so what the guy put up numbers in europe, it's europe! get real guys the best option we have is carr, you give carr any type of protection, and if his recievers actually run the right routes he might throw up some yards, it's a team effort it starts with the offensive line we should be talkin about how they need new offensive lineman not a new qp, or the fact that our coaching staff is horrible...
texan0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2005   #8
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

It would be nice to see Ragone in a "what if" scenario but if he went in and tanked it, suddenly we have 2 QBs who aren't playing well and the one that IS proven has lost all confidence. Not saying there's much confidence after todays game...but still. I don't think changing QBs after the first game is the answer.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #9
texan0305
Veteran

Rep Power: 24 texan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famer
Default ya

ragone will be a prototype back up qb he's not an option, grrr what do i know our coaching staff sucks they'll probably be a point in the season where ragone will play lol yaa i'm being sarcastic
Old 09-12-2005   #10
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

This poll is officially ridiculous.

Last edited by TMac48; 09-12-2005 at 11:10 PM.
TMac48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #11
SPRBWL
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac48
This poll is officially rediculous.
Dont ya mean preposterousous...sus?
SPRBWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #12
HoustonHarley
Rookie

No doubt, you go with Carr. Not even a question.
HoustonHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #13
texan0305
Veteran

Default carr

man i feel for carr, much love....
Old 09-12-2005   #14
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Ihategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of Famer

Carr has 7 ints in the last 5 games.

You got to start him though, next game. If he is still in a funk, throws another 3 picks or some silly nonsense like that.

You guys got some serious trouble.
Old 09-12-2005   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Tough dicision. As much as I hated last night's loss, judging Carr's progression against w1+w2's opponents might not give him justice. Going against the #1 and #2 defence of last year is tough, no matter who you are. As much as I like Ragone I think that Carr should be allowed to play through the first 3 games, that is, last chance to show progress is w4 against Cincinnati.

If he screws up there(whether it's him, the O-line or the coaching) things need to change after w4 if we're still collection losses.

If we're 0-3 after Cincinnati I would let Ragone start. He might not be "proven" as Carr(is he really?) but he is confident and imo shows real good vision down the field.

Also, to make the calls less conservative I thought Mcnair should introduce a new set of rules. If Palmer calls more than 5 rushes through the middle, every rush after the fifth results in a 10k$ reduction in his salery; per rush.
Malloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm about to vote for Ragone just to give Carr a break. Pittsburgh will be after the QB all game long too. Maybe Ragone would show us something against a great defense with no protection whatsoever, or maybe it will end this kind of discussion, but at least Carr will not be dead.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #17
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

You go with David. He's the franchise guy and if he's not hurt he plays.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #18
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

You have to give him 1 more shot to see if he can bounce back. Maybe he is shell-shocked after 3 years of being pounded (I know I would be), and dropping him now will either make him or break him. Not the way he would want to lose his job I'm sure (if Ragone was brought in for instance and succeeded). I agree with the above posts that state if he's fit he goes under centre and that he deserves at least 3 games, which would would mean he gets 'til after the Bengals game to see if he can get his rhythm back...
Old 09-12-2005   #19
txhoosier
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Ive got an even better idea .... How about Casserly or Capers for QB ? Maybe if they see how BAD that O-line is they might go get some help

I voted for Banks to play out the remainder of the season , no need to get Carr killed with this horrid O-line ..... Put him back out there next season .... After a season to mend his wounds and an off-season in which you draft at least one FIRST DAY lineman (D'Brickashaw Ferguson) and pick up at least two more via FA .... Then you plug him back in as the QB .

As for Banks , I could care less if he got hurt ....He's at the end of his rope as it is ..

Ragone ... dont play him behind this line , dont want him hurt or gun shy like Carr is , we may need him someday .
Someday is today...Ragone should be taking first unit snaps over at the practice bubble all week long, and starting against Pittsburgh, with Banks as the #2 guy. Carr should well understand that he is p***ing away his opportunity by the end of the week.
Old 09-12-2005   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Playing well against Tampa's 3rd string D will not help Ragone when he's got the Steeler's first string line-backers in his face.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read