Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2005   #61
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
You may want to fire Carr then. I think that was an audible by Carr.
i mean why would you change to a draw in that situation. theyve got bookoos of formations for every play so why not try to throw off the defense. try something instead of changing things to runs. this offense looked almost unstopable the 1st 2 games of the preseason. all i can say now is wtf

i even remember complementing the offense in preseason for audibles to pass. this may seem like an ignorant comment but i see every team with guys wide open, why cant we have 1 frippin guy open from time to time.

<-- thats what i feel like doing
Old 09-11-2005   #62
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
Actually, if it's anything like it was the last couple seasons, Carr is not allowed to audible out to anything but a subset of plays, based on what he observes at the line of srimmage. So if he lines up on certan pass plays, he only has one run audible available to him. This subject has come up before and been beaten to death.

Whoever "sets" those audibles for Carr and limits him from doing anything creative at the line (not that he's capable; we don't know) is the culprit here.
if thats true, that is rediculous. carr has been here from day 1 and he should know the playbook like the back of his hand. someone needs to be beaten unconscious.
Old 09-11-2005   #63
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

I think by far the most embarassing play of the game was that pass that hit Gaffney in the freakin' arm.

That pretty much sums up this team I think.
Old 09-11-2005   #64
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
I think by far the most embarassing play of the game was that pass that hit Gaffney in the freakin' arm.

That pretty much sums up this team I think.
h@!
Old 09-11-2005   #65
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually, if it's anything like it was the last couple seasons, Carr is not allowed to audible out to anything but a subset of plays, based on what he observes at the line of srimmage. So if he lines up on certan pass plays, he only has one run audible available to him. This subject has come up before and been beaten to death.

Whoever "sets" those audibles for Carr and limits him from doing anything creative at the line (not that he's capable; we don't know) is the culprit here.
I'm not a big Carr basher, but I noticed this last year. This is why I'm uncertain about Carr's leadership. I think if he'd audible to plays he wants to run, instead of what he's "allowed" to audible to, he'd fire up his team and assume a status of leadership beyond, 'he's the QB".
Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #66
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Post it here:

I vote for the play when Carr hit Gaffney in the right elbow. I think Gaffney was just assuming Carr would be sacked and didn't bother even checking the play.
and true
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #67
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We got the ball back and Carr threw another pick. Score and we have a shot...but we threw a pick. A FG at that point puts the Bills up 3 scores. No shot at all.

there was about 1min 30 left and we were on our 20 yard line when carr threw his last pick. the game is over when we punt with 6 min left.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2005   #68
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
there was about 1min 30 left and we were on our 20 yard line when carr threw his last pick. the game is over when we punt with 6 min left.
We got the ball back with two mins left. It's still not sound football to go for it on 4th down at your own 33 when within two scores and 6 mins left.

4-3-HST 33 (5:55) 7-C.Stanley punts 37 yards to BUF 30, Center-48-B.Pittman, out of bounds.

Buffalo Bills at 5:47
1-10-BUF 30 (5:47) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to BUF 41 for 11 yards (42-M.Coleman). R19
1-10-BUF 41 (5:05) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to BUF 43 for 2 yards (91-S.Payne).
2-8-BUF 43 (4:22) 20-S.Williams left guard to BUF 45 for 2 yards (91-S.Payne, 93-J.Babin).
3-6-BUF 45 (3:38) 7-J.Losman pass to 80-E.Moulds to HST 48 for 7 yards (23-D.Robinson). Caught at HST 49, right side. P20
1-10-HST 48 (2:54) 20-S.Williams right guard to HST 47 for 1 yard (96-G.Walker, 52-K.Wong). HST-G.Walker injured on play, walks off.
2-9-HST 47 (2:36) 20-S.Williams up the middle to HST 44 for 3 yards (42-M.Coleman).
Timeout #2 by HST at 02:24.
3-6-HST 44 (2:24) 20-S.Williams right guard to HST 42 for 2 yards (91-S.Payne, 52-K.Wong).
Timeout #3 by HST at 02:20.
4-4-HST 42 (2:20) 8-B.Moorman punts 40 yards to HST 2, Center-54-M.Schneck, downed by BUF-15-G.Wilson.
PENALTY on BUF-33-J.Greer, Illegal Shift, 5 yards, enforced at HST 42 - No Play.
4-9-HST 47 (2:02) 8-B.Moorman punts 35 yards to HST 12, Center-54-M.Schneck, fair catch by 31-P.Buchanon.
Two-Minute Warning

Houston Texans at 1:53
1-10-HST 12 (1:53) 8-D.Carr right end ran ob at HST 15 for 3 yards.
2-7-HST 15 (1:46) (Shotgun) 8-D.Carr pass incomplete. Thrown away after pressure: C.Kelsay.
3-7-HST 15 (1:40) (Shotgun) 8-D.Carr left end ran ob at HST 25 for 10 yards. R12
1-10-HST 25 (1:33) (Shotgun) 8-D.Carr pass incomplete to 80-A.Johnson (22-N.Clements). Receiver and coverage at BUF 48, left side.
2-10-HST 25 (1:27) (Shotgun) 8-D.Carr pass intended for 81-M.Murphy INTERCEPTED by 36-L.Milloy at 50. 36-L.Milloy to 50 for no gain (81-M.Murphy). Coverage over middle.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #69
htownhitman
Rookie

Default Doesn't matter

if you punt or if you don't. The game was was over at that point. I know, it's not really over, but our chances of winning were probably less than 5%.

The Gaffney GAFFE was the most embarrassing.

By the way, how many times have Bradford/Gaffney been shut out in a game? I mean, I actually forget these guys even play for us...
htownhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #70
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:

Montana was effective because he was allowed to do his own play calling including making them up at the end of the game. What you have are control freaks controlling this ball club. These are the plays you run period. We know what's best. Ah, coach this is what they are doing. No, the game films show they don't do that. Read my lips this is what you are to do. But coach that won't work based on the way the defense is lining up. I said run the play or else.

While I'm being a cynical I'm afraid this is very close to the truth. Capers want's control of everything down to the nats eye brow. It might be Palmer as well. Whatever the case they both need to go right now. Then we might have a team in place by next year.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #71
HoustonHarley
Rookie

Quote:
I've watched football for parts of 4 decades and I will safely say that going for a 4th down while in your opponents field position isn't too common. There was time to win the game by playing good defense and scoring when you get the ball back, but we got th ball back and threw a pick. Get a TD there (instead of a pick) and we have a shot to win still. If we don't pick up the 4th we are 3 scores down instead of 2 and the game is over with 6 mins left. If we had 3 mins on the clock at that point I understand, but not with 5:55 left in the game.

You can watch football until your blue in the face, but after playing football for better than a decade, I can tell you that you could not be more wrong. Let me ask you this. If your Coach doesn't have the confidence to go for it in that situation, then what confidence are you going to have in him the rest of the year? Capers totally threw in the towel at that point and guess what....so did the rest of the team. This team was not prepared for this game and that is the bottomline. No more excuses, just results!

As far as the thread question, I would say the Gaffney pass. At the same time, he had already given up as well. Believe me or not, but this team has no confidence in its Coaches. I honestly think that was a big reason for the Glenn and Sharper releases. If you think we replaced them with equally talented players, you are dead wrong. It may have appeared that way, but we will continue to see medicore play from their replacements.
HoustonHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #72
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

how often has anyone ever seen a football team go for it on 4th and 3 (inside the opponents field goal range) down only two scores with 6 mins left in a game? Rarely....I have probably never seen it happen. If I have (and don't recall) its been once or twice in 3 decades. Go down 3 scores right there the games over.

Old 09-12-2005   #73
COOL V
Rookie

Well we might as well start taking chances rather than run with our tails between our legs. Capers won't have it, he's toooooo conservative. Even if his job is on the line. Like I said before, get me Gary Kubiak on the phone. Denver has had him too long. Let's start Fresh.
COOL V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #74
HoustonHarley
Rookie

Quote:
how often has anyone ever seen a football team go for it on 4th and 3 (inside the opponents field goal range) down only two scores with 6 mins left in a game? Rarely....I have probably never seen it happen. If I have (and don't recall) its been once or twice in 3 decades. Go down 3 scores right there the games over.
It must have occured in those "parts of 4 decades" that you weren't watching. THE GAME WAS OVER WHEN THEY PUNTED! No more confidence, means you lose.
Old 09-12-2005   #75
Vinny
shiny happy fan

probably, but I'm not being sarcastic. I think 6 mins at that end of the field is too much time to throw away the game if you can't convert.

Old 09-12-2005   #76
HoustonHarley
Rookie

Ok I give. We will agree to disagree. My only fear is that lack of confidence doesn't carry over to next week. I guess we will see.
Old 09-12-2005   #77
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I respect your opinion on this - I just don't agree with it. I may well be in the minority on this....it doesn't bother me much though. I'm ok with that

Old 09-12-2005   #78
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81025 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

About the Gaffney drop:

Is it just me, or was he not looking because he knew it was too early in his particular route to get the ball thrown to him? I got the impression that Carr saw pressure (as always) and just rifled toward Gaff, hoping he'd happen to see it coming. He was running straight up the field and still had both safeties still in front of him. I don't think these players are stupid. They just have a weak, weak, weak O-line.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #79
HoustonHarley
Rookie

That may be true, but you if you have played on this offense for 3 years now, you know you have to look back to help the QB who has been running for his life the entire time you have been here.
Old 09-12-2005   #80
BREAZE
Veteran

Under 6 min down by 2 TDs. Going for it on 4th down and not converting is the same as punting. The offense was struggling to make things happen and with time running out you toss conservitism out the window and take a shot. There comes a point when there is nothing to lose and they were at that point. Nobody is saying they would of threatened had they got a 1st down. The fact is winning programs understand risks and take shots when deemed necessary.

Punting was the same as throwing in the towl...
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read