Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2005   #21
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexVanderpool
Punting the ball on 4th and 1, down by 15 points, with 6 minutes left in the game.
i think it was more like 4th and 2cm. no confidence in the offense, and when the defense gets abused we act like we have confidence in them!

embarassing play of the day: simmons getting his ankles broken. next time he better not try to shake him. STICK HIM!
Old 09-11-2005   #22
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

How about Payne who has the ball in front of him being off-side 3 or 4 times.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #23
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
We were on our own 33. I don't blame them for punting. We still had a shot at the win if we hold them and score and get the onside. If we don't convert, the game is over right there. They are already in field position.

Yeah I see your point but honestly, if you can't get a yard when it's do or die then you should just head for the locker room right then and there. After what I'd seen prior to that the Texans needed to make a statement on that down. They needed to say "This stops right here" and get that first down. Instead they said "Ok, we're done." and kicked it away.
Old 09-11-2005   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Yeah I see your point but honestly, if you can't get a yard when it's do or die then you should just head for the locker room right then and there. After what I'd seen prior to that the Texans needed to make a statement on that down. They needed to say "This stops right here" and get that first down. Instead they said "Ok, we're done." and kicked it away.
We got the ball back and Carr threw another pick. Score and we have a shot...but we threw a pick. A FG at that point puts the Bills up 3 scores. No shot at all.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #25
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
How about Payne who has the ball in front of him being off-side 3 or 4 times.
This is my vote. I mean YOUR LOOKING AT THE FREAKING BALL! Its right in front of your face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #26
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 666 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

most embarrassing play of the day was our ***** of a QB deciding he was going to throw the ball to AJ even though he was double covered from the snap and putting so much arch on the ball that the double coverage didn't have to intercept it because the safety, which made triple coverage, had enough time to run in and make the interception.

That had to be the best example of Carr's lack of mental ability to play as a starting QB.

Embarrassing isn't even harsh enough of a term for that dumb play.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #27
daiges7
Rookie

Quote:
We were on our own 33. I don't blame them for punting. We still had a shot at the win if we hold them and score and get the onside.
Yeah, because the parlay of scoring, recovering the onside (15% chance?) and scoring again is better than converting a 4th and 3 and going from there.... The call sucked.
daiges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2005   #28
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
We got the ball back and Carr threw another pick. Score and we have a shot...but we threw a pick. A FG at that point puts the Bills up 3 scores. No shot at all.
Look at the play and ask if the receiver went to the ball or waited for it to come to him. Our receivers do not know how to play football period. Its how they are coached. They were constantly commenting on Losman's receivers coming back to the ball. The Texan's receivers don't do that. You are giving the defenders an unfair advantage if you don't go back to the ball. Oh, I forgot once again we have to give the other defense a chance because we are so superior defensively.
Old 09-11-2005   #29
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

what play? I'm discussing a punt.

Old 09-11-2005   #30
COOL V
Rookie

Does this mean that David Carr's Rookie Card is worthless??? Prediction:
Pittsburgh 38 Texans 10 That's if they spot us 7 points What is Capers always writing on the sidelines??? Grocery List??? This weeks excuse??? ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW
COOL V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #31
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
what play? I'm discussing a punt.
Sorry, I didn't know throwing a pick is punting the ball............
Old 09-11-2005   #32
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiges7
Yeah, because the parlay of scoring, recovering the onside (15% chance?) and scoring again is better than converting a 4th and 3 and going from there.... The call sucked.
not converting the 4th when your opponent is in field position is the dumb call. The punt gave us a chance to win. A stop and the game is over at the 5 min mark.

Old 09-11-2005   #33
TigerBait
Veteran

Peek dropping a INT thrown right to him, that would have been 6 and would have kept us into the game.
TigerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #34
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOL V
Does this mean that David Carr's Rookie Card is worthless??? Prediction:
Pittsburgh 38 Texans 10 That's if they spot us 7 points What is Capers always writing on the sidelines??? Grocery List??? This weeks excuse??? ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW
IF WE HAD ONLY EXECUTED and the other team hadn't showed up we might have won the ball game.................
Old 09-11-2005   #35
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOL V
What is Capers always writing on the sidelines??? Grocery List??? This weeks excuse??? ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW
Milk
Eggs
Left Tackle
Bread
O Cordinator
Ham
Facial Expressions ( I swear he looks lost out there)
cheese
notebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #36
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 666 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A stop and the game is over at the 5 min mark.
uh, don't look now, but the Game WAS over at the 5 min. mark

Having said that, I agree with you Vinny, and hindsight is 20/20. The smart thing to do was punt the ball at that point.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #37
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

Quote:
not converting the 4th when your opponent is in field position is the dumb call. The punt gave us a chance to win. A stop and the game is over at the 5 min mark.
Anyone with half an idea can see your point Vinny, I know I can but then I look at it this way as well (I'm a Libra so I have to balance it out, what can I say?)... If we can't convert a 4th and 1cm for instance in a season opener (no matter where we are on the field), then what do we do if it's week 17 and we end up same position with a playoff spot on the line??? Doesn't give us much hope from where I sit... again there is pro's and con's to both arguments...JMO is all
Old 09-11-2005   #38
COOL V
Rookie

You forgot the D Coordinator and see if the Carolina Job is still available. Take him back Carolina please.
COOL V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #39
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
Milk
Eggs
Left Tackle
Bread
O Cordinator
Ham
Facial Expressions ( I swear he looks lost out there)
cheese
notebook
The facial expression is almost scary because it looks like he really is totaly at a loss. It's amazing how many people have noticed this and yet I have been talking about how frozen and indecisive he is. I honestly believe its an inherant trait and has nothing to do with him as a person. People who are prolific note takers and who are so driven by minute detail are often incapable of making decisions on the fly. Capers is simply not a leader and never will be. He is a good man, but he shouldn't be leading this ball club.
Old 09-11-2005   #40
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Storm
Anyone with half an idea can see your point Vinny, I know I can but then I look at it this way as well (I'm a Libra so I have to balance it out, what can I say?)... If we can't convert a 4th and 1cm for instance in a season opener (no matter where we are on the field), then what do we do if it's week 17 and we end up same position with a playoff spot on the line??? Doesn't give us much hope from where I sit... again there is pro's and con's to both arguments...JMO is all
I've watched football for parts of 4 decades and I will safely say that going for a 4th down while in your opponents field position isn't too common. There was time to win the game by playing good defense and scoring when you get the ball back, but we got th ball back and threw a pick. Get a TD there (instead of a pick) and we have a shot to win still. If we don't pick up the 4th we are 3 scores down instead of 2 and the game is over with 6 mins left. If we had 3 mins on the clock at that point I understand, but not with 5:55 left in the game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read