Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2005   #121
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Whoever said DJ would/should be drafted because of his blitzing has nothing to base it on. Oh, he can run a fast 40? He must be a good blitzer.

DJ finished his career at Texas with almost as many INTs (9) than sacks (10.5). I don't see how that translates into "great blitzer".

The biggest reason why he didn't blitz often (and the same reason why he's not a fit for a 3-4 defense) was his style of play. It has nothing to do with size so hold all "But he's 6'3, 246...that's bigger than Peek". Just about every scout said he had a bad habit of running around blockers. And they were right. Not to say he wasn't effective at it...but he did do it. You can get by with doing that in college and to a lesser extent, this league.

But line him up outside in a 3-4 and let him go up against OTs without a DE on the end or put him inside where he gets to deal with OG's not occupied by the front 3? It's not a fit.

If you disagree, fine. But don't pretend you have presented an argument based on his first 3 games that proves you're correct.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #122
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is more of a reach to draft a de out of college and make a tweener out of him. You don't know how he will adjust to the lb position. With DJ at least you are drafting a lb to play lb.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #123
SESupergenius

I looked at DJ to play more the ILB than an OLB. I don't see anywhere really that he was touted as the speed pass rusher that opponents to us not drafting him make him out to be. Could he not have easily replaced Foreman? Good God Yes. Do we still need pass rushing LB's? Yeppers. Ray Lewis doesn't blitz the QB often, he's more of a speed tackler and in the field kind of guy, he is an ILB/MLB. They are just different positions. In fact all positions in the 3-4 are not the same and your really can't compare them too much. To say that DJ was not a fit in the 3-4 is not a good term to use, is he not a good fit for the 3-4 OLB? There I would say no, but definitely he would make a good 3-4 ILB. State your case otherwise.
Old 09-28-2005   #124
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Yeah, that's a good point. I've been saying he's "not a fit" in the 3-4. What I should've been saying is that he's a "better fit" in a 4-3.

And while he could've easily replaced Foreman, so could a ton of other LBs that weren't drafted in the first round.
Old 09-28-2005   #125
SESupergenius

The combination IMO of TJ and Greenwood is not as good as DJ and a possible player we could have traded up in Castillo. The jist of it is that DJ would be an immediate starter taking over Foreman's slot and Castillo would have been groomed and added depth.
Old 10-02-2005   #126
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Weekly Update...

DJ - 10 tackles

TJ - 1 tackle

DJ had more tackle than Travis Johnson, Orr, Peek, Greenwood, Iaone and Payne combined.

If only the system were a fit.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #127
Huge
Hall of Fame

If only you had a clue.
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2005   #128
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

someone please explain to me why he wouldnt work as a 3-4 ILB. he's too fast? tackles too well? too big? made an immediate impact?

tj's getting pushed around by a single blocker.
Old 10-02-2005   #129
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
someone please explain to me why he wouldnt work as a 3-4 ILB. he's too fast? tackles too well? too big? made an immediate impact?

Try he isnt a pass rusher. Which is the biggest problem on our Defense. DJ wouldnt help with this. TJ will its simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #130
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You'll get a hundred excuses before the night is over. He's not big enough, he's not a pass rusher, etc.

Bottom line - Another personnel mistake by the organization.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #131
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
You'll get a hundred excuses before the night is over. He's not big enough, he's not a pass rusher, etc.

Bottom line - Another personnel mistake by the organization.
How about we just completly forget about it the draft is long gone. I think I speak for most Texans fans when I say im sick and tired of hearing you B!t3h about DJ and Carr and how were the worst team ever. Didnt you mom every tell you if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all.

Quote:
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Old 10-02-2005   #132
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
Try he isnt a pass rusher. Which is the biggest problem on our Defense. DJ wouldnt help with this. TJ will its simple.
made no sense whatsoever. TJ's not a pass rusher, cant do his job of tying up multiple blockers, and cant even get leverage against a single blocker. how is he helping?

DJ's bigger than greenwood, faster, and more of a playmaker. we've yet to force a turnover on the entire defense and dj's recorded 2 himself. i'm really having trouble finding the arguement. so many folks dogged the dj backers because there was no chance he'd fall to us, now they're saying he doesnt fit the system. i can see it now ... he becomes a free agent down the line and yall say we shouldnt look at him because he smells funny.
Old 10-02-2005   #133
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
made no sense whatsoever. TJ's not a pass rusher, cant do his job of tying up multiple blockers, and cant even get leverage against a single blocker. how is he helping?

DJ's bigger than greenwood, faster, and more of a playmaker. we've yet to force a turnover on the entire defense and dj's recorded 2 himself. i'm really having trouble finding the arguement. so many folks dogged the dj backers because there was no chance he'd fall to us, now they're saying he doesnt fit the system. i can see it now ... he becomes a free agent down the line and yall say we shouldnt look at him because he smells funny.
Ok well go with this scenario. We dont sign Greenwood because we want DJ. All the other teams know we want DJ so they trade ahead of us and take him wich means D Polk is starting. Then Gary walker gets hurt and Ioane starts.
Just because TJ doesnt put up numbers doesnt mean he isnt doing what he gets paid to do. The war is won in the trenches. If we didnt draft a dline this year when would we. G Walker gets hurt every year and will be retiring soon. Payne is well past his prime and will be retiring in a few years. R Smith isnt exactly young. We already have a young group of linebackers.

Quote:
Old 10-02-2005   #134
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

you dont force drafts or select lesser talent, if it be home grown or whatever. Casserly ****'ed up point blank, heck I would much rather have Pollack. you can still get optimum value on the D-Line in the latter rounds ala the O-Line. was'nt Chris Canty a 4th rd pick of the Cowboys?

the point is this draft set the Texans back at least one year which may manage to install an entirely new regime because the 5 year plan has failed
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #135
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
If we didnt draft a dline this year when would we. G Walker gets hurt every year and will be retiring soon. Payne is well past his prime and will be retiring in a few years. R Smith isnt exactly young. We already have a young group of linebackers.
The D-line should have been addressed in the offseason or through the draft, not necessarily with our 1st pick. We could have drafted DJ and drafted a DL in the 2nd round or traded up to get a player who has equal or better talent than TJ. I would mind us having traded up to get Castillo, who's stock fell because of bogus drug rumors, instead of trading up to get ***cough*** ***cough*** P-Burnt.
Old 10-03-2005   #136
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I would mind us having traded up to get Castillo, who's stock fell because of bogus drug rumorsp
I didn't catch what was so bogus about admitted steroid use.
Old 10-03-2005   #137
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
I didn't catch what was so bogus about admitted steroid use.
He took a banned substance but not an anabolic steroid. You won't find what he took on the Federal illegal scheduled drug table. You can find it at GNC though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #138
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think my issue is not with the drafting of TJ (ok so some of it is.)

My issue more lies with the Texans logic that was put out there of why we didn't draft DJ. Because he played in a 4-3 in college he couldn't play in a 3-4 in the pros. But then we draft a DT who played in a 4-3?

You can argue that DT is different but a DT in a 4-3 plays very different scheme than a DT in a 3-4 so its all relative.

A playmaker is a playmaker and a football player is a football player. Coach him up in your system and LET HIM GO!!!!

Oh well maybe our NEW staff next year will do something sensible with the #1 pick in the draft.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #139
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Very few Colleges run a 3-4 and he is supposed to supply some pass rushing skills from the DT position...although he needs more time to get used to the league. If we only drafted players from the systems we run we would only draft from a few teams.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #140
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Just so you non beleivers can test it. Buy Madden 06. Create a 99 Overall DT. Throw him on the line. Then watch the stats after each game and notice he doesnt place in the top 50 the whole season for tackles/sacks/fumble recovery average, but yet he still makes the Pro-Bowl. My Point is like what has already been said, his job is to tie up linemen and open opportunities for the LB's.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read