Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-26-2005   #101
metalmike
Veteran

Derrick Johnson all the way baby. Can't miss with a Longhorn. Bring him to Houston with Roy Williams and Cedric Benson. Then go out and draft Vince Young. I know it'll never happen.
metalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #102
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
I didn't realize Wong had that many tackles.

That gives him more than Chad Brown or Monty Biesel (Patriots' ILBs), more than James Farrior or Larry Foote (Steelers' ILBs) and more than Derek Smith or Jeff Ulbrich (49ers' ILBs).

That's pretty good company.
So Derrick Johnson is better than all those you mentioned? I am not sure where you are going with this.
Old 09-26-2005   #103
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
So Derrick Johnson is better than all those you mentioned? I am not sure where you are going with this.
Nowhere really...just wasn't aware that Wong's standing was that good among the other ILBs around the league.

Although one could argue that Wong's stats are a reflection of the job that's being done up front by guys like Walker, Payne, and yes...Travis Johnson.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #104
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Good article on the Johnson that was passed over...

DJ Article
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #105
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Nowhere really...just wasn't aware that Wong's standing was that good among the other ILBs around the league.

Although one could argue that Wong's stats are a reflection of the job that's being done up front by guys like Walker, Payne, and yes...Travis Johnson.
well considering we've scored 14 points in 2 games, yea I'd say that has a lot to do with it, whereas KC's offense is failry good and keeps the defense off the field longer.
Old 09-26-2005   #106
ComstockLode
Veteran

Just thought I might point out, that KC has been rotating into a 3-4 defense off and on against the broncos. But no DJ is not a good fit.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #107
ComstockLode
Veteran

DJ just knocked out rod smith.... Hope he is alright
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2005   #108
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy
What a difference he made with the Chiefs defence... LMAO ... Broncos ate them up, they looke like a high school unit. Talk about a bad beat down.....
The chiefs looked like the texans today. Everything went wrong with them. DJ didnt play well with 5 tackles, but he did get another FF giving him 2 for the season.

Last edited by ComstockLode; 09-27-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-27-2005   #109
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
The chiefs looked like the texans today. Everything went wrong with them. DJ didnt play well with 5 tackles, but he did get another FF giving him 2 for the season.
He is still more productive than Babin and Peek put together... :brickwall
Old 09-27-2005   #110
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
IMO, Gary Walker played the best game by a dlineman. True, statistally it may not be a fair comparison. How about we just put those numbers in place of Moron Greenjeans.

Greenwood:

T-A SCK INT FF
2-3 0.0 0 0

Another brilliant offseason move by CC and Company. The Chickens are coming home to roost.
Well the chicken (P-Burnt) got put on the roost. The other guys just seem confused and overmatched most of the time. Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Mel Blount need to be brought in and show this D how to be aggressive, intimidating and just plain mean. I want to see someone other than Peek and D-ROB knocking the snot out of people.
Old 09-27-2005   #111
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where did you get your stats from? DJ had 2 tackles and 2 assists last night, and no FF...
Old 09-27-2005   #112
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Where did you get your stats from? DJ had 2 tackles and 2 assists last night, and no FF...
where did you get your stats from? I watched the game and saw his FF...
Old 09-27-2005   #113
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

3-11-KC14 (8:01) J.Plummer pass to C.Adams to KC 12 for 2 yards (D.Johnson). FUMBLES (D.Johnson), ball out of bounds at KC 12.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #114
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
where did you get your stats from? I watched the game and saw his FF...
NFL.com...I just went back and checked and they added the FF...
Old 09-28-2005   #115
outofhnd
All Pro

DJ probably would not have been a good Outside Backer in our 3 -4 because he was never a Defensive End in college. He never had to consistently beat an Offensive lineman to get to the QB. Both Babin and Peek were Defensive Ends, now called "tweeners" He would not have been running free like he is in the KC Defense.

Plus after 2 games you really dont have enough scouting footage on him to see his weaknesses. Granted his production is extraordinary... yea you can argue He might have been a great linebacker here... You can present statistics, facts, personal info... You can say all you want but look at the successful linebackers from the Capers D.

Greg LLoyd - Linebacker, Lamar Lathon - Former DE, Kevin Greene - Former DE, Pat Swilling - Former DE, Rickey Jackson - Former DE... Is it just me or do I see a trend?

Personally I like the TJ pick... He wasnt supposed to beat out our veterans he was brought in here to inject youth into the D-line and allow us to rest the D-line we have now, without having a huge talent level drop off. From what I have seen he has done that. I don't see him getting manhandled by linemen, In fact I have seen him push his lineman into the backfield ona few occasion he needs to learn how to tie up more than one O-lineman by firing into the gap between not just taking on the man.

I love how you question draft choices... the same team you critcize for drafting Babin, Joppru and TJ, Is the same ones that drafted DD, AJ, Drob.

Lots of teams passed on DJ... Do you think a lot of other teams are kicking themselves for passing on Randy Moss?, Tom Brady?, Emmitt Smith?

Heck in Philly I thought they were gonna string the eagles up for drafting McNabb instead of Ricky Williams. How did that turn out?

And for those who suggest Harrington was the correct QB choice, wasn't his job in question this year when the Lions brought in Jeff Garcia? Yea I am sure kicking myself for not drafting a guy that now has 3 big time young NFL rec. prospects, but still only puts up 110 yards. I can only imagine the success he would have here.

for all you post draft critics who didnt get the player they wanted..

Question though - If DJ came here and totally sucked but TJ went elsewhere and was a monster would you still say we should have drafted DJ?

Last edited by outofhnd; 09-28-2005 at 03:22 AM.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #116
Elite
Veteran

Ok Charlie Casserly
Old 09-28-2005   #117
lucky13

saw DJ on monday night- he is a monster. (seems to have spent his entire signing bonus on 'roids, but that is another matter as far as i am concerned).

casserly is a disgrace for picking TJ over DJ.
Old 09-28-2005   #118
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13
saw DJ on monday night- he is a monster. (seems to have spent his entire signing bonus on 'roids, but that is another matter as far as i am concerned).

casserly is a disgrace for picking TJ over DJ.
Seriously can we just drop this subject. We all know capers and casserly have made bad decisions. Can you at least wait until TJ gets a chance to show what he can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #119
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
Seriously can we just drop this subject. We all know capers and casserly have made bad decisions. Can you at least wait until TJ gets a chance to show what he can do.
Not going to happen, Bubba. Most aren't smart enough to realize production isn't always translated by stats.

By their logic, teams would be better off playing 7 linebackers instead of having 3/4 widebodies taking up salary space w/o contributing anything.

'Cause it's the linebackers that get all the tackles, sacks, etc.

Nice try though. Just don't hold your breath for results.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #120
SESupergenius

How do you know DJ wouldn't have made a good 3-4 linebacker? Here ya go, here's a few LB's in college that are, wouldn't you know it, LB's on an NFL team using the 3-4 system:

James Farrior - LB
Jamie Sharper - LB
Larry Foote - LB
Earl Holmes - LB
Chad Brown - LB
Ben Leber - LB
Randall Godfrey - LB

They were NOT tweeners, but were solid linebackers. Whoever said DJ was to be draft just for his blitzing? The cover can cover from end to end with good speed....ala Greenwood. Imagine a linebacking corps of
Wong, DJ, Sharper and Haggans or
Boulware, Bell, Sharper and DJ, or
Wong, Bell, Sharper, and DJ or
Boulware, Bell, DJ, Haggans if you want to revamp the LB corps.

Please, the possibilities were endless. All the while we had our starting DL set, Walker, Payne, Smith. that's a lot of money tied up into the line already, too much if you ask me since our LB's are the featured set. Then you add first round TJ to the mix and it looks like it could break the bank. Instead of gutting our team of veterans we should have brought in more talented players from the draft and used free agency to our fullest advantage. Bring back Sharper, Glenn, Wright and McCree, trade up for Luis Castillo( a pick I was big on before the draft and rated better than TJ) with our 2nd and 3rd rounds picks instead of P-Burnt, sign Bell, Boulware or Haggans instead of Greenwoods and our defense would have been very solid. With all bumblings in the off season our defense is worse than last year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read