Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2005   #61
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

there is no point in even talking about this. It is over it, it is done. All we can do is pray TJ turns into a super star.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #62
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
there is no point in even talking about this. It is over it, it is done. All we can do is pray TJ turns into a super star.
Okay... sorry. No point bringing up the mistakes this organization has made.

All we can do is pray. Good point.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #63
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not basing it on one game. This game hadn't been played when I started complaining about it on the day they didn't draft DJ. At the time all I got back in reply was "UT HOMERS CAN'T SEE PAST DJ!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!" and junk like that.

I don't even like UT! I just saw a bad linebacker who the Texans could definitely use. They could still use him.

But it's too late and Wonger is right. No talking bad about the mistakes of the past.
Old 09-11-2005   #64
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

My apologies, gents. I should've known better than to attempt this after a disappointing loss.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #65
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
My apologies, gents. I should've known better than to attempt this after a disappointing loss.

Yep, save the Kool Aid for another day.
Old 09-11-2005   #66
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And don't get me started on how Derrick Johnson doesn't fit in the 3-4 alignment. If he did, Dallas would've taken him long before Houston had a shot.
Doubtful, espically with Ware still on the board. For Dallas Ware fit the bigger need, a playmaking OLB for their 3-4. It would have been intersting to see what would have happened if both Ware and Merriman were gone by the time the Cowboys picked.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #67
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Doubtful, espically with Ware still on the board. For Dallas Ware fit the bigger need, a playmaking OLB for their 3-4. It would have been intersting to see what would have happened if both Ware and Merriman were gone by the time the Cowboys picked.
Which was exactly my point. Derrick Johnson doesn't fit the playmaking OLB in the 3-4. And with his style of play (running around using his athleticism) he doesn't fit the ILB in the 3-4 either.
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2005   #68
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

But why play him at OLB? Espically when we (the Texans fans) were told that we need guys at ILB that could make plays from sideline to sideline. Now if that wasn't DJ iat UT I don't know what is.

I think thats been the point trying to be made, by myslef and others.
Old 09-11-2005   #69
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Which was exactly my point. Derrick Johnson doesn't fit the playmaking OLB in the 3-4. And with his style of play (running around using his athleticism) he doesn't fit the ILB in the 3-4 either.
He is faster then Greenwood and is bigger than greenwood.... how does that not translate to a better inside linebacker.

Casserly said we were getting younger and faster, how the hell does DJ not fit that description?
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #70
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Isn't that exactly what they got Greenwood for? Except I have to think DJ will be a much better player.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #71
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
He is faster then Greenwood and is bigger than greenwood.... how does that not translate to a better inside linebacker.

Casserly said we were getting younger and faster, how the hell does DJ not fit that description?
Exactly! Exactly!

Inside, outside, how in the world do you justify passing up this guy after the kind of changes you made this off-season to your linebacking corps?

It just flat out defies explanation.
Old 09-11-2005   #72
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Exactly! Exactly!

Inside, outside, how in the world do you justify passing up this guy after the kind of changes you made this off-season to your linebacking corps?

It just flat out defies explanation.
Another wonderful thing to notice:

With Greg Robinson last year the scheme was for the defensive linemen to take up blocks, and for DJ to run wherever he wanted. He didnt have gap responsibilities....

Is that not similiar to what an inside linebacker in a 3-4 is supposed to do?
Old 09-11-2005   #73
Huge
Hall of Fame

I'll re-iterate...

Quote:
Old 09-11-2005   #74
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Put the guy at Strong Safety for all we care. We just need a play maker on defense. Someone with a nose for the football that can change games.
Old 09-11-2005   #75
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

On another note, go ask teh Jets if they think Vilma isn't he right size to play MLB, casue that was the big knock against him as well.
Old 09-12-2005   #76
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Put the guy at Strong Safety for all we care. We just need a play maker on defense. Someone with a nose for the football that can change games.
Funny you say that, McCree had a huge hit today...
Old 09-12-2005   #77
cred
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDavis
You're comparing tackles and sacks from a LB to a DT in a 3-4 scheme? That's beyond insane.

TJ isn't supposed to get a lot of sacks or tackles. He's supposed to tie up blockers so that the linebackers can make plays. Take a look at Ted Washington's tackles and sacks statistics per season and tell me that he's not a good player.

I guess that is why Bryant Young got 3 sacks as a DE in the 3-4 with San Francisco
cred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #78
SESupergenius

Quote:
And so where do we get 3-4 linebackers from, only colleges that use 3-4 systems? Saying DJ doesn't fit the 3-4 is like saying TJ doesn't fit the 3-4 either, both came from 4-3 systems. If a LB isn't running around (See Wong, Sharper, Foreman, Babin, Peek, etc) then I guess he just rushes the passer?? Please you are way off on this one.
Old 09-12-2005   #79
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
And so where do we get 3-4 linebackers from, only colleges that use 3-4 systems? Saying DJ doesn't fit the 3-4 is like saying TJ doesn't fit the 3-4 either, both came from 4-3 systems. If a LB isn't running around (See Wong, Sharper, Foreman, Babin, Peek, etc) then I guess he just rushes the passer?? Please you are way off on this one.
Yes, just a lame attempt to justify ANOTHER horrible personnel decision. They're adding up quickly.
Old 09-12-2005   #80
H-Town Steel
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
The Texans will be not be living this one down. It was a perfect fit, a local sensation that was very marketable in this region, especially when we were letting go a LB and had an immediate opening.

couldn't have said it better myself-
H-Town Steel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read