Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2005   #21
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

both sides are right. True, we looked terrible. Our o-line will get david carr killed eventually. P buch was a 99 cent add on to your breakfast meal (toast). i wont blast the kick returning yet, because i really think mathis will fix that. However, i think 1 game into the season is a bit soon to be calling for capers head. David Carr had 3 turnovers, DD had a fumble, that cost us points. corey bradford being on the team cost us 7 points. Buffalo was a really strong team. I think palmer should be canned, because i can generally predict his plays to the amusement of everyone on the sofa. Get a new o-coordinator, spend some time and money on the o-line, and see where that gets us, hmm?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #22
Capster67
Veteran

Default Preseason Carry Over

I've been saying since the first game of the preseason things didn't look good. While I know a team's win/loss record in the preseason isn't the best indication, what a preseason is good for is to see what sort of work ethic and attitude a team has. It looked like we were going through the motions throughout the preseason and it looked like it today. Until the franchise learns to take pride in every play (preseason, regular season, post-season) we won't deserve to get rid of the expansion label. Let's hope things change soon starting at the top.
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #23
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Get a new o-coordinator, spend some time and money on the o-line, and see where that gets us, hmm?
Absolutely. Id like to see a complete housecleaning at this point because after this game, im just about convinced that this team is headed in the wrong direction with its current leadership. But your suggestion is much more reasonable and probable.. and if we could do that.. and then figure out some way to make our defense work.. we would be good to go.. even with Capers leading the way.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #24
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
However, i think 1 game into the season is a bit soon to be calling for capers head. David Carr had 3 turnovers, DD had a fumble, that cost us points. corey bradford being on the team cost us 7 points. Buffalo was a really strong team. I think palmer should be canned, because i can generally predict his plays to the amusement of everyone on the sofa. Get a new o-coordinator, spend some time and money on the o-line, and see where that gets us, hmm?

Wrong. This isn't too soon to be calling for Capers head. This isn't "1 game into the season". This is three years and 1 game into the Capers "era" and that's an entirely different animal then just judging 1 game in a vacum and saying "Well, it's too soon".

David Carr had three turnovers. David Carr and the line that's supposed to be protecting him has been coached by Dom Capers and the "offense side" of his staff. He was selected in the draft by Charlie Casserly. If four years into his career we have problems with how he's developed then I say we lay them at the feet of the people responsible for developing him and if necessary choosing him in the first place. For the record I think we drafted a very promising young QB who we then proceeded to fail to support to the point that he's now in serious jeapordy of becoming the next 1st overall pick who busts bigtime.

Domanick Davis had a fumble. Domanick Davis and the line that blocks for him has been coached by Dom Capers and the "offense side" of his staff. He was selected in the draft by Charlie Casserly (who got lucky here) and was never supposed to be our franchise back. That fate was supposed to belong to our resident third string washup Tony Hollings who Charlie Casserly wisely wasted a 2 on two years ago. I don't consider Domanick Davis to be fumble prone so I have no problem with the fact that he dropped the rock today. What I do have a problem with is 14 carries for 48 yards. I have a problem with the Texans punting the ball on 4th and 1 because they can't safely say "We can get 1 yard and the first down". Either we don't have the ability to block for this running back or the line is doing it's job and this running back isn't the answer. It's one of the two (or both). Either way this again I lay directly at the feet of the people who built this.

Corey Bradford is our #2. From time to time Corey Bradford does some amazing things. He's fast, has pretty good hands (don't even start because the statistics prove clearly that if you think Corey is "Hands of Stone" then you don't know what you're talking about) and for some reason has a tendancy to drop that one heartbreaking ball that everyone remembers. It's weird I admit it but he doesn't drop a lot of passes. He only drops those heartbreakers that kill your soul. If you're angry that Corey Bradford is on the team then lay that at the feet of the men who spent the entire off-season taking a pass on a whole herd of recievers who each would have been a dangerous compliment to AJ. They didn't get one when they had the chance so if all we've got is Corey Bradford then that's Dom's fault. That's Charlies fault. That's ultimately Bob's fault. It's not Corey's fault.

It's time to take this team in another direction with another coaching staff. Miami literally mugged Denver today with Gus Frerotte at QB. The worst team in the NFL last year just beat the stuffing out of the Denver Broncos who used the Texans like a paper towel when we faced them. In one season the Broncos got that bad? The Dolphins got that good?

That's just one game and one example but coaches turn teams around in one season all the time.

Just not these coaches we have and not this team as long as they're in charge.
Old 09-11-2005   #25
TexansNFL
Rookie

Default More...

Yeah... you forgot a few important ones...

1. Wait until after the preseason for Fangio to unleash his "exotic" blitz packages to confuse the opposing defenses
2. Delayed blitzing, that is, drop the linebackers even in obvious running plays, because now we have great speed at linebackers who can run to the line of scrimagge and stop the run after the half back got 12 yards and then some
3. Palmer is still not willing to reveal his playbook until we are close to making the play offs, then all hell will break loose....
4. Capers giving credit to the opposing team for making the plays... we are the best team at giving credit to the opposing team... we are great at that
5. On 3rd and 20 or more, we are 99.99% certain that we will run a draw play designed to gain 1 yard ...brilliant!!!
6. Fangio takes pride on his defense being the most complicated in the NFL... please somebody explain the KISS rule to this guy...
7. What can you expect from a Fangio led defense when he had one of the worst defenses in the NFL while at the Colts?
TexansNFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #26
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
3. Palmer is still not willing to reveal his playbook until we are close to making the play offs, then all hell will break loose....
it's hard to 'open up the playbook' when your QB is stuck on kindergarten level plays that he can't manage successfully.

Quote:
7. What can you expect from a Fangio led defense when he had one of the worst defenses in the NFL while at the Colts?
he has been gone for 4 years now and Tony Dungy has been the head coach(exalted Defensive guru) and the Colts D hasn't been improved all that much. Mainly due to their players NOT being top notch D players. They tend to spend their money on the Offense.

Quote:
5. On 3rd and 20 or more, we are 99.99% certain that we will run a draw play designed to gain 1 yard ...brilliant!!!
heck, just refer back to my reply in the first paragraph on your #3 thought.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #27
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDavis
Yeah, you were right! Preseason mattered! That must be why the Broncos, who were undefeated in the preseason and looked brilliant, lost 34-10 to the second worst team in football! That must be why Ben Roethlisberger, who looked almost as bad as Carr and had a QB rating of 38, went 9-11 for 218 yards and 2 touchdowns and led his team to a win.

Preseason killed those teams!

We sucked, but not because of preseason. We sucked because the Bills had more talent and played at home. As far as Carr, Peyton Manning wouldn't do a bit better if he had this offensive line.
Preseason's still completely irrelevant.
Stop kidding yourself, Carr needs to be benched ASAP, if we want to have any chance of going even .500 this season...as the announcer from a pre-season game a week or two ago said "Carr could have learned a thing or two from that", referring to Dave Ragone looking off a receiver and making a TD pass to Sloan Thomas I believe it was. The guy had more than enough time to throw the ball.
Old 09-11-2005   #28
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Come on, now!

It's JUST the regular season. Wait until the post season gets here...THEN we'll show our real playbook. Nobody shows their real stuff in the regular season. Mostly what we see in the regular season is player evaluations, trying to avoid injuries, and most of all...trying to not give away too much of your game planning and play calling.

All you people who are whining about the regular season are not real fans. You need to get off Carr's butt. When we are playing in January, you will all be saying, "See! I told you we could go 3-13 and still make the playoffs!"

Gig's up. Everyone who played the "It's just the preseason!" card, you can go ahead and post your excuses now. So what was it today:

Bad o line?

Dumb penalties at crucial moments in the game?

Bad playcalling?

Delay of game by Carr?

Interceptions by Carr?

Missed block by DD, allowing an easy sack of Carr?

Carr not seeing a TE open to his left, and taking a sack because he locked onto one receiver, as usual?

P-Buch getting schooled by Lee Evans?

Peek dropping a sure TD?

JP Losman running wild through gaping holes like Hulk Hogan?

The 3-4?

DD dropping the ball?

Carr getting the ball stripped and then standing there instead of diving into the pile, watching our o lineman get it taken away?

Horrid playcalling: Runs on first down? The infamous "Now route?" Not going for it on fourth and inches?

Carr throwing the highest arcing pass to Bradford, which came down with icecicles on it?

Bradford dropping the pass when it hits his hands BEFORE the defender hit him?

Cutting Moses? Signing Swinton and then cutting Swinton? Running Morency out there and then finally admitting what a d u m b move THAT was...so you put in our starting RB and risk injuring him?

Did I leave anything out?

Just trying to make sure I covered it all so that we can leave room for you to cut the b.s. and say, "Yeah, it WASN'T "just" the preseason."

But I doubt that will happen. After all, we'll look great against the Steelers next week who are definitely in for a big surprise when we "get it together for these games that are FOR REAL" like Carr said after the last preseason game.

I love this team, but it's time for a change of coaches--Not a slash-and-burn firing of everyone, but I think (and stay calm, OK?) that Capers needs to be the guy to go. He stands there, watching total ineptness on the field, and has this glazed-over look like he's not really sure what he's just witnessed on the field. Scratch down notes on that little piece of folded paper all you want, Dom. Here's what you really need to be making notes on: How many boxes do I need to clean out my office?

And it's time for Carr to get benched like I suggested last week. Ragone gets the start next week, in front of Houston fans. And Carr gets to see what it's like to hold a clip board.

Any takers?
That sums it all up pretty well
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #29
rdbrem
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlockett
... I WOULD EVEN SUPPORT A TALENT SEARCH AT THE LOCAL CHINESE BUFFETS TO FIND OUR NEW O-LINE AND D-LINE
Incredibly AWESOME!!!
Old 09-11-2005   #30
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Preseason still means nothing.

Colts didn't win a game in Preseason and easily defeated the Ravens
Broncos went undefeated in Peaseason and they got crushed by the lowly Dolphins.

We played like **** in the preseason.
We played like **** in the first game <-- that is the only thing that means anything.

The offensive play calling is just sad. Coaching looked horrible today.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #31
htownhitman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I have a problem with the Texans punting the ball on 4th and 1 because they can't safely say "We can get 1 yard and the first down". .
I don't have a problem with it. The offense had 4 chances to prove they could get a yard on the opening drive against Denver in the preseason. They couldn't get the job done, and Capers knows that he can't trust them to get a yard when it's needed. Whether it's the back, the line, the fatboy d-lineman lined up at fullback --- I don't care.
htownhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #32
gr8slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRBWL
Well it's obvious that something needs to change...but will Mcnair pull the trigger?
Its Capers.
Old 09-11-2005   #33
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
Stop kidding yourself, Carr needs to be benched ASAP, if we want to have any chance of going even .500 this season...as the announcer from a pre-season game a week or two ago said "Carr could have learned a thing or two from that", referring to Dave Ragone looking off a receiver and making a TD pass to Sloan Thomas I believe it was. The guy had more than enough time to throw the ball.
We're not going .500 if we have Peyton Manning. We'll be lucky to win 6 games with Carr. We'll be lucky to win 1 game with Ragone or Banks.
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #34
gr8slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
both sides are right. True, we looked terrible. Our o-line will get david carr killed eventually. P buch was a 99 cent add on to your breakfast meal (toast). i wont blast the kick returning yet, because i really think mathis will fix that. However, i think 1 game into the season is a bit soon to be calling for capers head. David Carr had 3 turnovers, DD had a fumble, that cost us points. corey bradford being on the team cost us 7 points. Buffalo was a really strong team. I think palmer should be canned, because i can generally predict his plays to the amusement of everyone on the sofa. Get a new o-coordinator, spend some time and money on the o-line, and see where that gets us, hmm?

Your new avatar

Your sig will be done tommorow.
Old 09-12-2005   #35
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think benching Carr is going to help this team one bit, but I'm willing to try it anyway, lol. I don't care what they try at this point and Ragone might as well be the one running for his life.

I got it!!!! I got it! Vernon Morency as our starting QB! Think about it. We can't protect the QB anyway. Let's just do it. Shoot, let's put Wells, DD, and Morency on the field at the same time and just use the receivers for reverses and such, lol.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #36
lucky13

excellent snarky thread title.
Old 09-12-2005   #37
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

In the beginning , if the Texans wanted to be a run and grind team why did we draft Carr and AJ so high .

Look what Parcell's did . He traded down picked Julius Jones and then picked Ware and Spears this year. He got his QB and WRs at the used lot .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #38
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I would like to see the Texans get some big fannied OL like Dallas had in the mid-90's. A dual threat TE and a bruising RB like Bettis. On defense, a switch to the 4-3 with a couple 6-8 DT to get in the lanes and a couple mean pash rushing ends like Dwight Freeney and Jason Taylor and a regulator at MLB (missed DJ, but by the time we get to this maybe he will be a free agent). Just my little wishlist.
Old 09-12-2005   #39
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm as down on this team as I've ever been. Players, coaches, GM, everything. The offense is broken and in disarray.

This was the San Diego game from 2002 all over again and if things don't get fixed in a hurry, we are looking at another 4-12 season. If that happens, what will be interesting to see is if Palmer is the fall guy and Capers stays or if they both go as a package. One problem is that the GM usually gets a second chance.

The owner will hear the fans discontent loud and clear on Sunday. I can't remember when I have not looked forward to going to a home opener as much as this one on Sunday. I do remember -- it was the '96 season since I knew it was probably the last one I'd ever see.

But there is a silver lining..... I have the Steelers D on my fantasy team.

Last edited by aj.; 09-12-2005 at 07:16 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #40
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
In the beginning , if the Texans wanted to be a run and grind team why did we draft Carr and AJ so high .

Look what Parcell's did . He traded down picked Julius Jones and then picked Ware and Spears this year. He got his QB and WRs at the used lot .
We got our o-line from that same lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read