Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2005   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default It's JUST the regular season! Don't sweat it, guys!

Come on, now!

It's JUST the regular season. Wait until the post season gets here...THEN we'll show our real playbook. Nobody shows their real stuff in the regular season. Mostly what we see in the regular season is player evaluations, trying to avoid injuries, and most of all...trying to not give away too much of your game planning and play calling.

All you people who are whining about the regular season are not real fans. You need to get off Carr's butt. When we are playing in January, you will all be saying, "See! I told you we could go 3-13 and still make the playoffs!"

Gig's up. Everyone who played the "It's just the preseason!" card, you can go ahead and post your excuses now. So what was it today:

Bad o line?

Dumb penalties at crucial moments in the game?

Bad playcalling?

Delay of game by Carr?

Interceptions by Carr?

Missed block by DD, allowing an easy sack of Carr?

Carr not seeing a TE open to his left, and taking a sack because he locked onto one receiver, as usual?

P-Buch getting schooled by Lee Evans?

Peek dropping a sure TD?

JP Losman running wild through gaping holes like Hulk Hogan?

The 3-4?

DD dropping the ball?

Carr getting the ball stripped and then standing there instead of diving into the pile, watching our o lineman get it taken away?

Horrid playcalling: Runs on first down? The infamous "Now route?" Not going for it on fourth and inches?

Carr throwing the highest arcing pass to Bradford, which came down with icecicles on it?

Bradford dropping the pass when it hits his hands BEFORE the defender hit him?

Cutting Moses? Signing Swinton and then cutting Swinton? Running Morency out there and then finally admitting what a d u m b move THAT was...so you put in our starting RB and risk injuring him?

Did I leave anything out?

Just trying to make sure I covered it all so that we can leave room for you to cut the b.s. and say, "Yeah, it WASN'T "just" the preseason."

But I doubt that will happen. After all, we'll look great against the Steelers next week who are definitely in for a big surprise when we "get it together for these games that are FOR REAL" like Carr said after the last preseason game.

I love this team, but it's time for a change of coaches--Not a slash-and-burn firing of everyone, but I think (and stay calm, OK?) that Capers needs to be the guy to go. He stands there, watching total ineptness on the field, and has this glazed-over look like he's not really sure what he's just witnessed on the field. Scratch down notes on that little piece of folded paper all you want, Dom. Here's what you really need to be making notes on: How many boxes do I need to clean out my office?

And it's time for Carr to get benched like I suggested last week. Ragone gets the start next week, in front of Houston fans. And Carr gets to see what it's like to hold a clip board.

Any takers?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #2
SPRBWL
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Come on, now!

It's JUST the regular season. Wait until the post season gets here...THEN we'll show our real playbook. Nobody shows their real stuff in the regular season. Mostly what we see in the regular season is player evaluations, trying to avoid injuries, and most of all...trying to not give away too much of your game planning and play calling.

All you people who are whining about the regular season are not real fans. You need to get off Carr's butt. When we are playing in January, you will all be saying, "See! I told you we could go 3-13 and still make the playoffs!"

Gig's up. Everyone who played the "It's just the preseason!" card, you can go ahead and post your excuses now. So what was it today:

Bad o line?

Bad playcalling?

Delay of game by Carr?

Interceptions by Carr?

Carr not seeing a TE open to his left, and taking a sack because he locked onto one receiver, as usual?

Peek dropping a sure TD?

The 3-4?

DD dropping the ball?

Carr getting the ball stripped and then standing there instead of diving into the pile, watching our o lineman get it taken away?

Horrid playcalling: Runs on first down? The infamous "Now route?" Not going for it on fourth and inches?

Carr throwing the highest arcing pass to Bradford, which came down with icecicles on it?

Cutting Moses? Signing Swinton and then cutting Swinton? Running Morency out there and then finally admitting what a d u m b move THAT was...so you put in our starting RB and risk injuring him?

Just trying to make sure I covered it all so that we can leave room for you to cut the b.s. and say, "Yeah, it WASN'T "just" the preseason."

But I doubt that will happen. After all, we'll look great against the Steelers next week who are definitely in for a big surprise when we "get it together for these games that are FOR REAL" like Carr said after the last preseason game.

I love this team, but it's time for a change of coaches--Not a slash-and-burn firing of everyone, but I think (and stay calm, OK?) that Capers needs to be the guy to go. He stands there, watching total ineptness on the field, and has this glazed-over look like he's not really sure what he's just witnessed on the field. Scratch down notes on that little piece of folded paper all you want, Dom. Here's what you really need to be making notes on: How many boxes do I need to clean out my office?

And it's time for Carr to get benched like I suggested last week. Ragone gets the start next week, in front of Houston fans. And Carr gets to see what it's like to hold a clip board.

Any takers?
Well it's obvious that something needs to change...but will Mcnair pull the trigger?
SPRBWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #3
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Come on, now!

Bad o line?

Bad playcalling?

Delay of game by Carr?

Interceptions by Carr?

Peek dropping a sure TD?

The 3-4?

DD dropping the ball?

Any takers?
*LMAO* At the title. It's my best laugh today. Thanks.

First, why are our two tailbacks returning KR?

Second, why is it that even my wife who watches about as much football as the average length of a TV commercial can see Carr dropping back can't find anyone to pass it too and takes off running?
Old 09-11-2005   #4
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRBWL
Well it's obvious that something needs to change...but will Mcnair pull the trigger?
I think we will find out before next season just how good of an owner Mcnair is. If he is truely commited to winning than its time to cut your losses and get some coaches who know how to prepare, adjust and call games.
Old 09-11-2005   #5
Elite
Veteran

he needs too i hope he puts pressure on casserly to do something. ide hate to be casserly and capers after this loss while metting the owner.
Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you know how many teams play terribly in the preseason and then own everyone in the regular season?

Judging a teams potential based on the preseason performance is just stupid. Its so stupid in fact.. that even the talking heads are not ignorant enough to do so. Otherwise, they wouldnt all be picking the clots to win our division.

I agree that Capers probably needs to go. But I think that Fangio and Palmer need to go with him. You just cant pin all the problems on Capers. Palmer appears to be totally inept when it comes to calling the right play at the right time.. and the running every first down thing just isnt working. Fangio couldnt generate a pass rush if his life depended on it.

Its a shame we couldnt get Mr. Mullet from Tennessee.

And I am also starting to come around to the idea of letting Carr ride the pine till he figures out how to go through his reads.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #7
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Yeah, you were right! Preseason mattered! That must be why the Broncos, who were undefeated in the preseason and looked brilliant, lost 34-10 to the second worst team in football! That must be why Ben Roethlisberger, who looked almost as bad as Carr and had a QB rating of 38, went 9-11 for 218 yards and 2 touchdowns and led his team to a win.

Preseason killed those teams!

We sucked, but not because of preseason. We sucked because the Bills had more talent and played at home. As far as Carr, Peyton Manning wouldn't do a bit better if he had this offensive line.

Preseason's still completely irrelevant.
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2005   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

"Do you know how many teams play terribly in the preseason and then own everyone in the regular season?" -- Grid

Uh..........

That was not exactly a word of wisdom, Grid.

We've played terribly in the preseason AND we've carried that kind of play right into the regular season my friend. You actually SEE something from today's performance that was so wildly different from the preseason?

Seriously, you are going to be tired all week long if you try to find some sort of silver lining that is NOT there. It's just not there.

The only thing positive worth talking about is the slim chance that MCNair will be bold enough to turn Capers out to pasture. Or, that Carr will get benched for Ragone (at least for a half).

The father-figure philospohy of Capers was great the first couple of years, but this is the NFL...not flag football for Make-A-Wish Foundation. He's been passed by, and it shows.
Old 09-11-2005   #9
jmlockett
Rookie

Quote:
Come on, now!

Bad o line?

Bad playcalling?

Delay of game by Carr?

Interceptions by Carr?

Peek dropping a sure TD?

The 3-4?

DD dropping the ball?

Any takers?
HELL YEAH IAM ON BOARD AND AGREE WITH YOU 100% I WOULD EVEN SUPPORT A LOCAL TALENT SEARCH AT THE LOCAL CHINESE BUFFETS TO FIND OUR NEW O-LINE AND D-LINE
jmlockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #10
illspawn
Rookie

Thumbs up

I agree with what this guy says. I am a big Texan fan and this is my first time posting. I decided to post today after my wife and I couldn't believe the pee wee ball mistakes that were made today. I really can't expand on what was said because this guy covered it all. All I know is something needs to be done because this is just horrible.
illspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

DomDavis,

I'll grant you the Broncos example.

The Steelers example is out in left field. Teams like the Eagles, the Patriots, and the Steelers are teams that have been to the post season so often...they can afford to have the "turn it on and turn it off" attitude about preseason and regular season. They've proven they can take a break and still get back to the task when reg season rolls around.

Our team...cannot. They are coached by a loving, endearing father who wants his boys to be good role models in society.

There is a serious problem with coaches AND players on this team, and your silver lining excuses are nice on one hand...but do nothing to solve what is becoming a train wreck of a season.

We have a light-switch attitude, and we haven't earned that right to think like that. I am so disappointed in Carr right now, it just boggles my mind. He has played beyond his o line's capability...but he's just tailspinning now. Mayeb it took its toll on him. Whatever the reason, it's really bad.
Old 09-11-2005   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I know I'm slow to come around but I've seen enough. Dom Capers must go. I can't find a single thing that his vaunted organization and discipline has brought this team. They're not organized and they're not disciplined. I can't find any evidence that this man has any talent for leading a team.

When our offense is out there I can usually predict the play the Texans are going to run around 70% of the time. I'm a network administrator and don't know what I'm looking at, how easy do you think it is for a defense to figure out what we're about to do? Offensively I'm ready to join the "Chris Palmer must go" people. This is the worst offense I've ever watched and I watched the Oilers play in the early to mid 80's when Warren Moon was being pressured all the time as his future All-Pro line was learning the ropes and the running game consisted of Larry Moriarity. The Offense Palmer has cooked up couldn't win in the college ranks and has no place in the NFL. Anyone ever notice how our guys always catch the ball with someone hanging off of them while the other teams receivers catch the ball in space with no one around them? Is that because our defense sucks so bad or because our offense sucks so bad? Either way we lose but I'm inclined to believe that our offense is to blame.

Speaking of our defense they are, in a word useless. All the criticism I'm reading about the linebackers seems to me to be dead on. There's no pressure. In the secondary Buchanon didn't look like any kind of upgrade over Glenn to me. Everyone is big on C.C. Brown but honestly, when a 6th round pick breaks into your starting lineup this easily does that mean he's that good or you were that bad? I want this whole staff out the door.

As for Carr I have doubts as to whether or not he is even salvageable. Think Tim Couch people. You beat a guy for three (soon to be four) years straight like this and I doubt he's ever going to get rid of the happy feet or learn to stay calm under pressure.

He looks nothing like the QB that came here in 2002. That guy's gone and so is the future he had. Sacrificed by the inept stooges that put this team together but couldn't be troubled to do it right.

If Buffalo can revamp half their line in one year and do what they did today then why are we even still talking about Casserly, Capers, Palmer, and Fangio? They failed us and they failed the team.
Old 09-11-2005   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not trying to find a silver lining gp. There really isnt one at this point.

(Here is my contribution http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=12038)

But its just a fact that preseason performance is NEVER a good indicator of regular season performance.

Yah, our terrible performance in preseason carried over into the regular season, but MANY MANY teams who play bad in preseason, play great in the regular season.

Im just saying that ya cant really knock the people who were saying "its just preseason".. cause there is merit to those comments. It just didnt apply to us this year, unfortunatly.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

My wife doesn't watch football with me (much)...but she couldn't even sit and watch this c r a p today...which speaks volumes, if you ask me.

She knows I love this team, and she usually watches just to support me and show me that she cares about the things that I care about.

But she looked at me, and I looked at her...and she shook her head and went to take a nap. I'm here working off some nervous energy. Time to take a nap now.

I can't waste any more of my day on this team right now.

Wake me up when McNair decides to stop the bleeding.

Old 09-11-2005   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My wife doesn't watch football with me (much)...but she couldn't even sit and watch this c r a p today...which speaks volumes, if you ask me.
Stop trying to get around the censor. You are demonstrating you know you are doing something wrong. Not being able to express yourself without prohibited language is a sign of a limited mind--try demonstrating you can make your point and stay within the rules.
Old 09-11-2005   #16
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Any takers?

great ones but I think you forgot the most obvious one for all the ,

"be cool, it's just the first game-chill out"
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #17
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

It's starting to get consistant with the 4 turnovers in regular season openers.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #18
tsip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
"Do you know how many teams play terribly in the preseason and then own everyone in the regular season?" -- Grid

Uh..........

That was not exactly a word of wisdom, Grid.

We've played terribly in the preseason AND we've carried that kind of play right into the regular season my friend. You actually SEE something from today's performance that was so wildly different from the preseason?

Seriously, you are going to be tired all week long if you try to find some sort of silver lining that is NOT there. It's just not there.

The only thing positive worth talking about is the slim chance that MCNair will be bold enough to turn Capers out to pasture. Or, that Carr will get benched for Ragone (at least for a half).

The father-figure philospohy of Capers was great the first couple of years, but this is the NFL...not flag football for Make-A-Wish Foundation. He's been passed by, and it shows.

...just think,though, how much worse this game could have been if we showed more of the playbook during the preseason!!!...we do have a
playbook, right?
Old 09-11-2005   #19
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
...just think,though, how much worse this game could have been if we showed more of the playbook during the preseason!!!...we do have a
playbook, right?
just think, though, how bad did the Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger look today after how worried you said they were after the preseason?
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #20
tsip
Hall of Fame

Default ...losing credibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDavis
just think, though, how bad did the Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger look today after how worried you said they were after the preseason?

...sorry, I only posted the quote-I didn't say it--is there a point to this post?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read