Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2005   #21
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Quiz me next season though, because this is a make or break year for Carr.
That to is my attitude about DC.
Actually David reminds me quite a bit of the best QB to ever play here, Warren Moon. Both being strong armed, gifted atheletes but with dubious thought processing skills and judgement in critical game time situations.
Moon probably should have led the talented Oilers to a SB, but I can remember him malfunction mentally in some key game time moments.
In this respect, unfortunately Carr has looked more Moon-like than say Montana- like, a QB who probably had less inherit athletic skills than either DC or Moon, but unlike the Houston QBs, excelled when the game was on the line (so to speak).
This is DCs 4th season and 4th season as the teams starting QB. He is now getting into the middle years of his career, the years which should include his
his maximum performance. He can no longer rest on his potential as a "young promising QB". This should be his time to step up if he's going to do so in his NFL career.
Old 09-09-2005   #22
bbills4life
Rookie

I think y'all should start Banks over Carr.
Old 09-09-2005   #23
Algebrat
Rookie

The current depth chart still show Dave Ragone as 3rd string behind Tony Banks...keeping that in mind, I don't see how benching DC is going to do anything productive for this team. Most of us have seen Banks when he was a starter, and having him as our starter would not be a step in the right direction. Just like there was sure to be a reason why S. Thomas was released, there is also a reason why D. Ragone is third string.
Old 09-09-2005   #24
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

David Carr has improved every year. He will be better this year and he will be even better next year.
Old 09-09-2005   #25
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Carr's not all that , does it set us back a couple of years ? I' m thinking so . Will they extend Carr's contract ?
If Carr is not a top notch QB , then we're in deep dooky . With the money they threw to Pitts and then to keep and pay Carr both better be pro bowl players . Thats all I have to say about that .

Earl 34
Old 09-09-2005   #26
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
Forget Dave Ragone. What do you honestly think Peyton Manning would be able to do on this team, as it stands right now? I will say right now -- not much better. Manning's gone through his trials and tribulations and is probably the elite QB in the league right now and I honestly don't think he'd do much better than Carr on this team. QBs get too much blame for things going wrong and too much credit for things going well.
IMO Petyton would not be half the player he is if he was on the Texans. Yes he is smarter than Carr. But hes not nearly as athletic. He probably would have gotten sacked more times than Carr did and he would have got frustrated and made more mistakes.
Old 09-09-2005   #27
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
David Carr has improved every year. He will be better this year and he will be even better next year.
yeah he went from 'what an ***** decision, but he's a rookie', to 'what a dumb decision, but hey he is at least trying to make a play' last year.

I think it is safe to say I am not a Carr Homer like some on this board. However, benching him is NOT an option before the season even starts. Heck I am the first to tell anyone I think his decision making is a quick as a speeding turtle, but he hasn't even gotten started proving me right this year, yet. I think we should give him a few games in the regular season to prove me right, and make the Carr Homer's on here sit down and shut up finally.

Ragone may or may not be better. I think it is a Brady vs Bledsoe argument that may work out for us. But only time will tell and I don't want to find out this year before the 3rd game of the season at least.
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2005   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
...I think we should give him a few games in the regular season to prove me right, and make the Carr Homer's on here sit down and shut up finally.
Oops, I left something out.

Quote:
- Charley Casserly, Houston Texans General Manager (9/9/05)
I think I'll "sit down" with Charley on this one.
Old 09-09-2005   #29
SESupergenius

Quote:
I'll just post the same thing I posted at HPF when you put up the same thread...

I've been a Carr cynic from day one (as we all know here) but I think he is our best option and is still better than Ragone this year. He had 3800 yards passing last year and he should put up something around that number again this year. I do think he has big holes in his game, but he is tough and works hard. This will be a pivotal season for DC but I'm not ready to bench him...not this year. Quiz me next season though, because this is a make or break year for Carr.
What does day one actually mean? You were mocking the guys on ESPN for taking carr in this thread on HoustonProFootballs so is that day one or is day one later on????

Besides, After a few years now, I am forming opinions now. I have been a Palmer supporter. I mean he needs to have some credit for the rapid development of Carr. On the other hand, sometimes Carr looks OVER coached. He does not look fluid, and he seems to want to please his coach. He improvised at Fresno state last year. I watched some games and he looked like he was more relaxed. Every year, he seems to want to have perfect form, or do things by the book all the time. He does not look instinctive. Is it scheme, overcoaching (Carr thinking too much), or just below average teamates?

I wonder how much is due to the fact that our receivers are not anything but marginal. Bradford is not a top wide out, and Gaffney has talent, and looks a year away, but is not there yet. Either way, Carr does NOT seem to have options when things break down. Palmers scheme seems to lack a safety valve. Who is on the backside of the play when things break down? I saw several plays that had Carr look on one side of the field and when things were not open, he had nothing to do but throw the ball away, or eat it. Do we not have a backside safety valve? I am not going to bash Palmer, because heck, we have some young players on the field, but I am starting to question some of his scheme.

Old 09-09-2005   #30
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think a lot of our offensive inconsistencies could be remedied by getting a good LT, an all-purpose TE, and an average #2 WR. I like Gaffney in the slot. He should remain our #3 receiver.
Old 09-09-2005   #31
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

ROFLMAO, your quoting Charley Casserly, not that is RICH. Lucky, you have a fine sense of humor, I only regret I haven't been around lately to enjoy it.

Casserly is a Washington D.C. raised and educated politician. He is a better politician that most sitting in Washington today, IMHO.

What did you expect him to say about David Carr, "I think he had a bad year last year. He has had a worse year every year and I think this year he will be even worse"?

wait, David Carr aka DC. Washington D.C., aka DC. hmmmm
Old 09-09-2005   #32
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

It's amazing how when carr has 1 bad game a select few people want to (remove him) from his starting position. But then whenever he wins 1-2 they make threads on how he is the greatest ever and how good he is and blah blah. We all know our backup QB's cannot and willnot do anything better then Carr does. Also you mentioned Brady behind bledsoe and how he blew up but brady was young...look at ragone...thanks
Old 09-09-2005   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
What does day one actually mean? You were mocking the guys on ESPN for taking carr in this thread on HoustonProFootballs so is that day one or is day one later on????
That is a preseason thread in August of 2002 before he actually played here in his rookie year.

At least with me, whenever I watch football players hit the field, opinions change. Sometimes game to game, sometimes year to year. Players progress or show flaws we didn't see in College when they get to the pros. I don't think anyone who has been around here for a while has forgotten me arguing about Carr early on in his career, but my thoughts are fluid and change. I've been quite supportive of Carr at times...but then again...I think. My opinions change and shift as we see results, like most people who think. Once I saw him play in the NFL I changed my thoughts on him. Simple stuff.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 09-09-2005   #34
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

sign my petition!

http://www.petitiononline.com/benchd...ityourbuttdown
Old 09-09-2005   #35
SESupergenius

Quote:
My opinions change and shift as we see results, like most people who think.
EXACTLY! And really our offensive line has not progressed much since his 1st year, we have 1 reciever (of which gets keyed on) we still have no tight ends. We are constantly trying to tweak this offense, so I think by your definition you need to see better changes in the all the above then to blame our offensive woe s on the QB.

Old 09-09-2005   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, I don't blame our woes on the QB....look at my posts. I have said over and over I think he will have a good season. I projected 3800 yards and 20 TD's (that ain't a bad season pards). Just because I question his game it doesn't mean I am blaming all our problems on him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 09-09-2005   #37
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Default David Carr

You are right Vinny, this is not all Carr's fault, nor should he take the blame for the whole team playing poorly. It start's from Palmer all the way down. I truely believe Carr gives 100% every time he steps on the field. He should have 3800 yards and 20 TD year. As long as our front line backs him up a little. As far as Ragone he is a great backup, should be #2 on depth, but that's all he will ever be I believe. NFL Europe is not like NFL here this is truely the best of the best. I support Dave Ragone all the way even I am from his home town in Ohio, but it will still not sway my opion he is ready to start. only time will tell. Carr need's everyone's vote of confidence on Sunday, knowing his fans stand behind win or lose.
Old 09-09-2005   #38
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
Lucky, you have a fine sense of humor, I only regret I haven't been around lately to enjoy it.
Hey, I only lay traps for the gr8fans.
Old 09-09-2005   #39
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bench Carr no, evaluate his value over the course of the year, yes

I have not been a big fan of Carr either since we drafted him. However, ther is no way I would bench him for Ragone this season. Carr is in an option year. We as an organization need to see his progression and then weigh whether or not he is a value at the amount of dollars we will have to spend moving forward on the contract.

As a fledgling organization everyone position should be under a microscope, expecially one's that command a lot of money against our cap. This is the lfe he chose, he can handlee any banter via any media.

I think most of us who are down on the value of Carr's work to date is communicated with no emotion, where as the proponents of Carr get awfuly emotional. The with us or against us mentality is not healthy for debate toward a common goal - the playoffs.

8-8 still standing, DC could help us add a couple of more wins to the W column, Ragone could not.
Old 09-09-2005   #40
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
I dunno...that's probably a valid statement, but it still has the ring of one who is somewhat defensive about Carr's progress. Hey, Carr is in no way, shape, or form a failure. On the other hand, this attitude of year-by-year,
incremental improvement is not enough for most of us. What we want is success and for Carr and the team to succeed he has to lead the team to
a playoff berth. Then, even if Carr's annual stats have regressed, it would make no difference because he would have fulfilled his promised potential - to be a leader and winner.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read