Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-05-2005   #1
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

Default Mathis

Is Mathis going to get rid of that ugly #13 and pick up 82 or 89??
Oilers/Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #2
Paul31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers/Texans
Is Mathis going to get rid of that ugly #13 and pick up 82 or 89??

I'm glad you brought this up.

I was under the impression that WR could only take a 10-19 number if all the 80's were taken. Since, as you say, 82 and 89 are open, surely Mathis has no choice but to change to one of these?
Paul31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #3
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul31
I'm glad you brought this up.

I was under the impression that WR could only take a 10-19 number if all the 80's were taken. Since, as you say, 82 and 89 are open, surely Mathis has no choice but to change to one of these?
I believe they can request a number from the NFL if they wish.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #4
Paul31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
I believe they can request a number from the NFL if they wish.

What number did Mathis wear in college?

Anyway, I am assuming Mathis had to take #13, because Miller and Swinton had #82 and #89 locked up, until they were cut.
Old 09-05-2005   #5
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul31
What number did Mathis wear in college?

Anyway, I am assuming Mathis had to take #13, because Miller and Swinton had #82 and #89 locked up, until they were cut.
#3 I believe.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #6
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

i believe 2 years ago the NFL changed the rule that WRs can wear 10-19 if they wish, even if a number in the 80s is available
Old 09-05-2005   #7
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

#3 was his college number yes. And the rule "was" changed 2 years ago that they can wear 10-19 even with numbers in the 80's available.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2005   #8
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be hard to have all the numbers in the 80's taken. A team would have to have 10 WR/TE's on thier roster.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #9
Paul31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
It would be hard to have all the numbers in the 80's taken. A team would have to have 10 WR/TE's on thier roster.

Not if you take IR, PUP and PS into consideration.
Old 09-05-2005   #10
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

i like the #13. For his kinda speed, its fitting. bad luck for the other team!!
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
#3 was his college number yes. And the rule "was" changed 2 years ago that they can wear 10-19 even with numbers in the 80's available.
Doesn't randy moss have a jersey with a teen number on it?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #12
stephen1
Veteran

wrs getting a number in the teens is a new trend in the nfl
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #13
mes311
Rookie

Roy Williams is #11
Old 09-06-2005   #14
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
Doesn't randy moss have a jersey with a teen number on it?

Yeah I believe his number is 18...can someone shed some light on this...or was that just a preseason thing??
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #15
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
Yeah I believe his number is 18...can someone shed some light on this...or was that just a preseason thing??
No that is his number and would have been his number when he came into the NFL(because he wanted the number and didn't want to be like every other WR out there) but he would have been suspended by the NFL because some of some rule stating that recievers numbers have to be in the 80's. That rule has been changed in the last 2 years.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #16
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

What you should be more concerned about is his hammy since he had to leave practice again yesterday (because of tightness). I hope this doesn't become a chronic thing with him. This is the second time in a month.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
What you should be more concerned about is his hammy since he had to leave practice again yesterday (because of tightness). I hope this doesn't become a chronic thing with him. This is the second time in a month.
Is PB the only player besides Mathis we've got for kick-off/punt returns? If
so, we're gonna be real thin there in the event Mathis is injured. I don't even
like the idea in the first place of a starting CB who came at a pretty high price to us being used in this capacity.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #18
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
It is. They made the rule about players can have a 10-19 or 80 - 89 number last year so about half the rookies ot number 11 (Boldin, Roy, Reggie Williams, Jenkins). Burress also changes his number to 17 upon moving to the Giants. I guess the 80's arent cool anymore . . .
LORK 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #19
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I'm still shocked that Reggie Swinton didn't make the team.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Is PB the only player besides Mathis we've got for kick-off/punt returns? If
so, we're gonna be real thin there in the event Mathis is injured. I don't even
like the idea in the first place of a starting CB who came at a pretty high price to us being used in this capacity.
Hollings can be used on kickoff returns and Gaffney on punt returns in emergency situations.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read