Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-08-2005   #21
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

At least we know what he's been drinking too much of, lol.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #22
Doom Capers
Veteran

I liked Gaf. a lot better when he was our slot guy. He got the ball a lot more and got us a ton of first downs.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
As an aside, I couldn't believe I came back to the MB after the Bucs game and no one was complimenting his one handed falling away sideline catch. If AJ, Moss, TO, Roy Williams, etc. had made that catch it would have been all over Sportscenter. The problem with Gaff is he needs to be thrown to more not less.
I believe it. It would hurt too many weak arguments that Carr doesn't have people to throw to. The sad truth is that many of these flamer poster guys don't know what they are looking at. Gaffney had 3 first down catches as well. He was 6th in the NFL in converting catches to 1st downs last year. He is very unappreciated by our fan base.

Quote:
Last season, Gaffney finished sixth in the league for converting 82.9 percent of his receptions into first downs.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...texans/3338630

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #24
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Gee, after reading this post, with my boy Billy Miller gone, maybe I need to go out and buy myself a Gaffney shirt!!

For what it's worth, I am happy to hear some positive remarks about Gaff. He has been a fav of mine!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #25
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
My thoughts, exactly. Bench Bradford.
No he should have been cut and Sloan Thomas or Swinton should be on the roster....GRRR
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #26
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17
No he should have been cut and Sloan Thomas or Swinton should be on the roster....GRRR
You mean the Sloan Thomas who hasnt been picked up by any of the other 31 teams in the NFL???

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #27
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
In the last two years Gaffney has dropped 2 of 125 balls directed toward him--about 1.8%. In the same time period Randy Moss has dropped 13 of 257--about 5%.
And to go a little further into that, Texans QBs have attempted 905 passes over the last 2 years. (If I am doing my math right) That means that Gaff gets a pass his way only once every about 7.4th pass. That is a pitiful ratio.

(just changed it, did the math wrong...)

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2005   #28
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
And to go a little further into that, Texans QBs have attempted 905 passes over the last 2 years. (If I am doing my math right) That means that Gaff gets a pass his way only once every about 7.4th pass. That is a pitiful ratio.

(just changed it, did the math wrong...)
What are the numbers for DD? He probably gets about half of those. AJ probably gets the other half. Then the last one is usually left for Gaff/Armstrong/Bradford.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #29
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Gaff is a VERY good WR. The only question I have about him is does he have enough speed to be the #2. My take at this point is....No. He is close to it, but no cigar IMO. Very good #3 though. Can he work at #2..yes, until a true #2 comes around. Perhaps that will be Mathis, hard to tell at this point. He definatly needs more balls tossed his way though.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
What are the numbers for DD? He probably gets about half of those. AJ probably gets the other half. Then the last one is usually left for Gaff/Armstrong/Bradford.
I got this stat from Junior at Texanstalk but when Dom catches 6 or more passes in a game they are 1-8 in those games. I saw Fiddy post something similar last year so I think it's probably right or close at least. When teams zone us in a cover 2 and give us the dump pass we usually struggle. Teams tend to give up the short dump because Dom rarely scores on them and it is easy to contain. They make you earn the other passes.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #31
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I got this stat from Junior at Texanstalk but when Dom catches 6 or more passes in a game they are 1-8 in those games. I saw Fiddy post something similar last year so I think it's probably right or close at least. When teams zone us in a cover 2 and give us the dump pass we usually struggle. Teams tend to give up the short dump because Dom rarely scores on them and it is easy to contain. They make you earn the other passes.
Yea, I remember Fiddy pulling that stat out last season. The team has the ability to pass on just about anyone as long as Carr gets the ball to the receivers. What they did in such a short time against Minnesota should have been proof of that.

This kind of reminds me of the team at my old HS. It was always option, option, blah blah over and over again. Then one game they got pretty far behind, like 17 with less than a quarter left and had to start throwing it. The QB put some trust in his receivers and threw the ball well enough that they ended up winning the game. Of course next game I think they went back to same old option left and option right over and over.

Houston has the players to keep opposing defenses awake at night but the way they gameplan the offense isn't scaring anyone, like you said about DD being pretty easy to contain. I think if the team was more consistent the dumps wouldn't be an issue, but it takes so long to get down the field on 6-7 yard plays that eventually the team stalls.

Old 09-08-2005   #32
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
When teams zone us in a cover 2 and give us the dump pass we usually struggle. Teams tend to give up the short dump because Dom rarely scores on them and it is easy to contain. They make you earn the other passes.
And Davis wasnt in the Tampa Bay game (a Cover 2 team) this preseason to take the dump down passes, and Carr was forced to think and struggled mightily.

Old 09-08-2005   #33
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
And Davis wasnt in the Tampa Bay game (a Cover 2 team) this preseason to take the dump down passes, and Carr was forced to think and struggled mightily.
He struggled, but to me it didn't seem like there was a whole lot of thinking involved at all. The routes were pretty much pre-determined and Carr tried forcing it in while the DB was just sitting on it. Of course if DD was in he might have done the safe thing instead of forcing it to Bradford.

Carr didn't seem to have any patience in the game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read